The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Daily Sheet January - April 2019  (Read 1483 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
The Daily Sheet January - April 2019
« on: January 07, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »

Tuesday, January 8th, 2019

The Dryden Ensemble Presents:  Queen Christina Goes To Rome

The Dryden Ensemble presents "Queen Christina Goes to Rome," a dramatic retelling of the story of the unconventional Swedish queen on Saturday, January 19 at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church, 6587 Upper York Road, Solebury, Pennsylvania, and on Sunday, January 20 at 3:00 p.m. at Miller Chapel, located on the campus of Princeton Theological Seminary, 64 Mercer Street, Princeton, New Jersey.

Queen Christina, one of the most learned women of the 17th century and a great patron of the arts, abdicated at the age of 28, giving up her throne for a life of music, art, and religion in Rome. The concert features Roberta Maxwell as Queen Christina and Paul Hecht as narrator in dramatic readings from the letters and diaries of Queen Christina of Sweden and other historical figures, including the French philosopher Descartes.

Known to Princeton audiences for the role of Edna in Edward Albee's A Delicate Balance at McCarter Theatre in 2013, Ms. Maxwell has performed at Classic Stage in NY, on Broadway, and Off-Broadway.  Her credits include national tours of Lettuce and Lovage, the Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Tyrone Guthrie Centre, the Old Globe Theatre, and others. She has also performed for television and in movies, including Popeye, Psycho III. Philadelphia, Dead Man Walking, and Brokeback Mountain.

The Dryden Ensemble Presents:  Queen Christina Goes To Rome

Impersonator Tries to Link LGBTQ Community to Pedophilia

Around Christmas Day, Karl Krause and Daan Colijn started receiving emails from their fans, telling them their pictures were being used to promote pedophilia in several viral posts on Twitter.  “They were outraged emails,” Krause said. “They were saying: ‘How can that be? You are not pro-pedophilia. I know that.’” 

Krause and Colijn are gay travel bloggers who tell their followers of gay-friendly and LGBTQ-owned businesses and communities throughout the world. They had no idea their faces were being used to promote an idea they found abhorrent.  One of their pictures, which features Krause and Colijn kissing in front of a rainbow flag, had been stolen by a Twitter troll who went by the name “Alex,” an account that was created in December. The account then tweeted messages promoting pedophilia.

“It’s frustrating to see someone misusing our image for political purposes — basically supporting an argument against the LGBTQ community with our work,” Krause said.  The account successfully spread across Twitter the deliberately defamatory idea that pedophilia is an acceptable part of LGBTQ life. Over the last half-decade, that concept has become a staple of far-right internet trolls on websites like the fringe message board 4chan, and the troll’s message quickly gained internet traction.

Impersonator Tries to Link LGBTQ Community to Pedophilia

The Lesbian Batwoman Is Officially Coming to Television

CW is expanding their DC superhero universe with the addition of a new title. According to Deadline, the network has given a pilot order to Batwoman, starring Ruby Rose (Orange is the New Black).

The iconic superhero (not to be confused with Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl in the 1997 film, Batman & Robin) was introduced in the Arrow-verse crossover event earlier in 2018. Rose starred in the crossover as Kate Kane, an outspoken streetfighter with a penchant for social justice. But, as she battles Gotham’s criminal underbelly, she still finds herself plagued with her own personal demons.

LGBTQ+ fans were particularly rooting for this spin-off, as this iteration of Batwoman will be the first gay lead character of a live-action superhero series, one facet of the heroine that stayed true to past comic book depictions. The crossover event gave us a flirtatious moment between her and Supergirl, a relationship we have to ship. Helmed by Greg Berlanti’s Berlanti Productions, this show will further the franchise’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, having recently introduced a black lesbian superhero in Black Lightning.

The Lesbian Batwoman Is Officially Coming to Television

Bisexual Senator Took Her Oath on the US Constitution, Administered by Mike Pence

Last week, incoming Senator Kyrsten Sinema [D-AZ] was sworn in by Mike Pence, in his aspect as President of the Senate, choosing to take her oath on a book containing both the Constitutions of the United States of America and Arizona, a tome repeating the framers' prohibition on the US government's establishment a state religion or discrimination on the basis of faith or lack thereof.

Sinema is the first openly bisexual person elected to the Senate. Pence is a notorious homophobe, bigot and Dominionist who has espoused the traitorous idea that America should have a state religion in the form of a puritanical, heretical Christianity that denies the message of Christ: a refugee and illegal immigrant who believed that the rich should have their wealth forcibly expropriated and given to the poor. Pence is also notorious for refusing to socialize with women.

Throughout her campaign, Sinema teased the idea that she might be an atheist, and is the only member of either US legislature to list herself as "religiously unaffiliated."

Bisexual Senator Took Her Oath on the US Constitution, Administered by Mike Pence

Rep. Wexton Displays Transgender Flag Outside Capitol Hill Office

Walking the halls of Congress in recent weeks, Rep. Jennifer Wexton (D-Va.) noticed that in addition to flags honoring the U.S. and their home states, many members displayed a third one outside their offices.

Some waved the rainbow gay pride banner; others the solemn black and white flag of prisoners of war.  Wexton, the newly elected congresswoman representing Northern Virginia’s 10th District, decided to pay tribute to the transgender community by flying the transgender pride flag.

“Given that that community has been under attack and for me it’s personal, it was kind of an easy call to raise awareness and show my solidarity,” she said in a phone interview Friday.  Wexton said her transgender niece, 19, and the teen’s mother were touched by the gesture.  The newly sworn-in congresswoman is also close to Virginia Del. Danica Roem (D-Prince William), one of the nation’s first openly transgender elected officials.

Rep. Wexton Displays Transgender Flag Outside Capitol Hill Office

New York City Adds Gender-Neutral Option to Birth Certificates

New York City now offers a gender-neutral option on birth certificates for residents who don't identify as male or female.  It's called "X."   As of this week, adults over 18 can alter their birth certificates to "X" so long as they attest via a form that the change "is to reflect my true gender identity."  New York Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the move into law Tuesday, ABC reported.

"To all trans and nonbinary New Yorkers: We see you, hear you and respect you," the mayor said last week on Twitter. "Starting in 2019, all New Yorkers will be able to change their gender on their birth certificate to M, F or X – without a doctor's note."

Before 2014, New York City let people alter their gender on a birth certificate only after gender reassignment surgery. After that, a doctor's note was required.  Now parents can choose "X" for their children, and adults can select the marker for themselves as long as they attest the change is "not for any fraudulent purpose," the form states.

She'll Be Your Mom at Your Wedding

Four years ago, when Sara Cunningham came home from a pride festival in Oklahoma City, she was covered head to toe in glitter. She had spent the day offering free mom hugs or high-fives ("Not everybody's a hugger," she says) to passersby, and the love and joy she felt was palpable.

Unfortunately, so was something else.

"That day, I went home with real horror stories," she says. "I was broken from hearing from the community -- kids who had been living out of their cars, kids who had been kicked out of their churches or homes for just for identifying as LGBT."  Cunningham's son is gay, and her experience at that festival led her and other ally mothers to form what is now "Free Mom Hugs," a nonprofit organization that offers mother-like support to LGBT youth. In July 2018, that spark of support and celebration became a flame. Cunningham, frustrated with continued stories of parents rejecting their gay children, sometimes during the most important times in their lives, wrote a simple Facebook post.

"PSA. If you need a mom to attend your same sex wedding because your biological mom won't."Call me. I'm there. I'll be your biggest fan. I'll even bring the bubbles." In a matter of days, the post went wildly viral. Cunningham knows exactly why.

She'll Be Your Mom at Your Wedding

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Today's edition by KillersMom, CellarDweller115

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.
If you have items you’d like to see published, send them to CellarDweller115.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.
When a new issue of TDS is posted, you will be notified by e-mail.

The Daily Sheet Archives
Respond to The Daily Sheet
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
Re: The Daily Sheet January - April 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »

Tuesday, January 15th, 2019

Kate Mara is Expecting Her First Child

Kate Mara is reportedly pregnant with her first child.  Entertainment Tonight confirmed the 35-year-old actress is expecting with her husband and "Fantastic Four" co-star, actor Jamie Bell.  Page Six said Mara shared the news with friend and actress Emily Blunt at the Golden Globe Awards on Sunday.  Sources said Mara told Blunt she and Bell are thrilled to be expecting.

Us Weekly said Mara walked the red carpet with Bell, who is already parent to 5-year-old son Jack with ex-wife and "Westworld" star Evan Rachel Wood.  "I come from a really, really big family and I've had kids around me my entire life," Mara previously told Us Weekly of being a stepmom to Jack.  "Family is everything to me and I like being surrounded by lots of kids and family at all times," she said.

Mara and Bell met on the set of the 2015 remake of "Fantastic Four" and married in July 2017. Mara said in the May issue of Shape that she's "protective" of her relationship with Bell.

Kate Mara is Expecting Her First Child

Rapper Shot to Death in Puerto Rico at 24

Rapper and LGBT activist Kevin Fret was shot to death Thursday as he rode a motorbike in Puerto Rico, CNN affiliate Noticentro.tv reported.  The 24-year-old Puerto Rican was renowned as the first openly gay artist in the Latin trap genre. Novicentro.tv reported local police as saying he was killed as he rode through the capital, San Juan.  Fret's death is part of a wave of violence affecting the island of an estimated 3.3 million people, the broadcaster said, with 24 murders so far this year.

Fret was killed in the Santurce neighborhood of San Juan around 5.20 am, it said.  The artist regularly addressed fans through his Facebook page and was outspoken on issues affecting the LGBT community. His most recent video, Soy Así, has more than 700,000 views on YouTube.

Defined as a sub-genre of Spanish-language hip hop, Latin trap has become a hugely popular musical genre in Latin America, the US and Spain. It has come in for criticism from some quarters for its misogynistic and macho attitudes.  Fret had previously complained of abuse and harassment that he claimed were due to his sexuality.  In the aftermath of his death, the Puerto Rico Trans Youth Coalition said in a Facebook post that Fret's murder "could be described as a hate crime."

Rapper Shot to Death in Puerto Rico at 24

Public Support for Lesbian Novelist Radclyffe Hall

Radclyffe Hall’s 1928 novel The Well of Loneliness was subjected to a vicious campaign of attack led by the Sunday Express for its depiction of lesbian relationships, eventually being suppressed and censored in the UK as a piece of “obscene libel”. But the author’s own papers, which are set to be digitized, reveal the outpouring of support Hall received from members of the public around the world, who wrote to thank her for creating, in her heroine Stephen Gordon, a character with whom they could identify.

Seen today as a seminal work of gay literature, The Well of Loneliness tells of the “invert” Stephen Gordon, who realizes from a young age that she is attracted to women, dresses in masculine clothes, and falls in love. Hall, a lesbian herself, wrote it to “put my pen at the service of some of the most misunderstood people in the world”. At its raciest, it goes no further than “she kissed her full on the lips, as a lover”, with a night of passion described as “that night they were not divided”. It ends with Stephen’s plea: “Give us also the right to our existence!”

Sunday Express editor James Douglas led a campaign against the novel, writing in his paper: “In order to prevent the contamination and corruption of English fiction it is the duty of the critic to make it impossible for any other novelist to repeat this outrage. I say deliberately that this novel is not fit to be sold by any bookseller or to be borrowed from any library.” Despite support from writers including Virginia Woolf and EM Forster, it was banned in the UK until 1949, after Hall’s death. But newly revealed papers from the author’s archive, which are set to be digitized by the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas alongside those of her partner, the artist Una Vincenzo, Lady Troubridge, show that the novel was also supported by thousands of readers, who wrote to Hall in outrage at the ban.

Public Support for Lesbian Novelist Radclyffe Hall

Addressing the Unique Mental Health Challenges of Bisexual Veterans

New research indicates that service members and veterans who identify as bisexual may be at higher risk for mental health issues including PTSD and depression than their gay, lesbian or heterosexual peers.

Katie McNamara, a U.S. Air Force captain and third-year doctoral student at the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, has always been an activist and advocate for the LGBT community—but her current focus on the mental health of bisexual veterans arose from a perceived gap in existing research: "there's quite a bit of research on military and veteran mental health and LGBT health, but very little that combines the two. And before this project, there was absolutely nothing specifically focusing on the sexual minority subgroup of bisexual military-affiliated individuals," she said.

After earning sponsorship from the Air Force to pursue her Ph.D. in social work, she chose USC because of the "groundbreaking research on military-specific LGBT issues being conducted here." For her recent research on LGBT inclusion and retention in the military, as well as the health, social and psychological issues faced by subpopulations of the community, McNamara teamed up with professors Jeremy Goldbach, Sara Kintzle and Carl Castro of the USC Military and Veterans Programs, as well as Air Force clinical social worker Carrie Lucas, Ph.D. The results of the study shed light on the mental health challenges faced by bisexual veterans, as well as the initial steps that can be taken to bridge this gap.

Addressing the Unique Mental Health Challenges of Bisexual Veterans

2 North Carolina Women Assault Transgender Woman in Bar

Two women were arrested this week and charged in the sexual assault of a transgender woman at a bar in Raleigh, N.C.  The transgender woman, whose name has not been released, told the police that she had been assaulted on Dec. 9 at Milk Bar, a popular spot downtown. The details of the episode — which included verbal harassment and groping — were relayed in a 911 call she made the next day that was recently made public by the Raleigh Police Department.

The incident led to the arrest of two women, Amber N. Harrell, 38, and Jessica L. Fowler, 31, both of Raleigh, who face charges of second-degree kidnapping and sexual battery.  It began when the transgender woman entered the bathroom to check her hair and makeup, she said on the 911 call, and encountered two women who began taunting her.

They asked if she had a penis, she said. Then one of the women pulled up her shirt, exposed herself and asked, “Do you want to see my boobs?”  “The other girl starts playing with the wig I’m wearing,” the caller said. She said she told them to stop.

2 North Carolina Women Assault Transgender Woman in Bar

New York City now offers a gender-neutral option on birth certificates for residents who don't identify as male or female.  It's called "X."   As of this week, adults over 18 can alter their birth certificates to "X" so long as they attest via a form that the change "is to reflect my true gender identity."  New York Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the move into law Tuesday, ABC reported.

"To all trans and nonbinary New Yorkers: We see you, hear you and respect you," the mayor said last week on Twitter. "Starting in 2019, all New Yorkers will be able to change their gender on their birth certificate to M, F or X – without a doctor's note."

Before 2014, New York City let people alter their gender on a birth certificate only after gender reassignment surgery. After that, a doctor's note was required.  Now parents can choose "X" for their children, and adults can select the marker for themselves as long as they attest the change is "not for any fraudulent purpose," the form states.

Support for LGBT Ally Cupcakke

Elizabeth Eden Harris is a 21-year-old rapper, known by fans as Cupcakke.  Last March, the Chicago native played a sold out show in Dublin’s Button Factory, a couple of months after she went viral for helping a vulnerable teenager on Twitter avoid homelessness.

Cupcakke is well known for her positive attitude and her eagerness to help others – her most recent album featured a song A.U.T.I.S.M. (A Unique Strong Thinking Individual Strongly Matters) which was released in the hopes of empowering her fans with autism, and she has proven herself to be a massive ally to the LGBT community. As soon as she began to make money from her music career, she donated the money right back into the Chicago homeless shelters she lived in as a young child.

Fans were left seriously concerned in the early hours of Monday morning when Cupcakke began posting some worrying tweets. The 21-year-old told Twitter followers that she was planning on taking her own life, and took to Instagram to write, “Thank you for everything y’all have done for me, I really appreciate it.”

Friends and fans of the rapper raised the alarm with police in Chicago immediately, who dispatched officers to Cupcakke’s home to do a wellness check. Comedian Elijah Daniel kept in touch with the police and updated Cupcakke’s fans on the situation as it unfolded, eventually tweeting: “UPDATE: Chicago Police got to Elizabeth’s place and she has been taken to a hospital. I don’t have any further information beyond that, but will update when I do.” 

Support for LGBT Ally Cupcakke

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet is a production of The Ultimate Brokeback Forum at http://www.ultimatebrokebackforum.com.

Editors emeritae: CactusGal, Marge_Innavera, tellyouwhat, Stilllearning, MissYouSoMuch, gnash

We count on you to send us your news items, questions, and nominations for posts of the day.

To subscribe to The Daily Sheet, click the “Notify” button at the top or bottom of the page.

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:47:51 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:34:02 AM »

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2019

Interview With Roberta Maxwell

Queen Christina of Sweden was a patron of the arts in the 17th century, but her reign did not last long. She abdicated at 28 years old and instead chose a life of art and culture in Rome.  To remember this figure from hundreds of years ago, the Dryden Ensemble will present a special presentation of their new dramatic piece, Queen Christina Goes to Rome, Saturday, Jan. 19 and Sunday, Jan. 20. Starring as the title character will be Roberta Maxwell, who has appeared on Broadway in Equus, Othello, Henry V and The Merchant of Venice, among other shows off-Broadway and at the McCarter Theatre in Princeton, New Jersey.

Paul Hecht will serve as the narrator for the performances, while ensemble will play a variety of unique instruments, including oboe, violin, viola da gamba, lute and harpsichord, all set to the styles that mimic the countries Queen Christina visited on her way from Sweden to Rome. The ensemble consists of Vita Wallace, Dongmyung Ahn, Jane McKinley, Lisa Terry, Daniel Swenberg and Webb Wiggins.  Saturday’s show will take place at 7:30 p.m. at Trinity Episcopal Church in Solebury, Pennsylvania. Sunday’s show is scheduled for 3 p.m. at Miller Chapel, part of Princeton Theological Seminary in Princeton, New Jersey.

Recently Hollywood Soapbox exchanged emails with Maxwell about her upcoming performances. Questions and answers have been slightly edited for style.

Interview With Roberta Maxwell

Egypt Sentences TV Host to Jail For Interviewing Gay Man

An Egyptian court on Sunday sentenced a television host to one year in prison for interviewing a gay man last year, a judicial source said.  Mohamed al-Gheiti, who has expressed his stance against homosexuality on several occasions, was accused of promoting homosexuality and contempt of religion.

The misdemeanors court in Giza also fined him 3,000 Egyptian pounds ($147) and ordered that he be put under surveillance for one year after serving his sentence, said Samir Sabri, the lawyer who brought the case against him.  The verdict can be appealed, and it can be suspended if Gheiti pays bail of 1,000 pounds, pending the outcome of the appeal, said Sabri.

In August 2018, Gheiti hosted a gay man on his talk show on the private LTC TV station, and discussed homosexuality on air.  During the interview, the gay man, whose face was blurred to hide his identity, said he was a sex worker and openly talked about his relationship with another man.  After the interview was aired, the Supreme Council for Media Regulation, Egypt’s top media body, suspended the channel for two weeks for “professional violations.”

Egypt Sentences TV Host to Jail For Interviewing Gay Man

Lesbian Claims Chili’s Denied Her a Promotion

A lesbian server at Chili’s in Phoenix, Ariz., claims she was denied a promotion after her superiors told her she dressed too masculine.  The American Civil Liberties Union has filed a complaint with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on behalf of Meagan Hunter, who had worked at Chili’s for two years in various capacities, including as a cook, host, and most recently, a server, a position in which she earned rave reviews for customer service.

At the suggestion of her superiors, she attended a seminar to learn more about becoming a certified shift leader, which would allow her to advance her career and earn a raise.

“I was planning to buy a home for the first time, and the pay increase would have helped a lot,” Hunter writes in a blog post for the ACLU of Arizona. “I’m a single mother, so what I earn matters. I’m also a lesbian, a part of my identity that influences how I dress.” But when she attended the seminar wearing a men’s button-up shirt, fitted slacks, and boat shoes, similar to the kind of clothes she’d previously seen male managers wear. But her manager told her his boss, the district manager, thought her clothes were inappropriate.

Lesbian Claims Chili’s Denied Her a Promotion

Embracing Bisexuality With Rosa Diaz

When I decided to binge-watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine this summer, Rosa Diaz quickly became my favourite character.

Diaz is a leather jacket–wearing, motorcycle-driving badass woman. She’s tough, smart and unapologetic. She never hesitates to break things around the office, make fun of her coworkers or even threaten them if they ask about her personal life. With her attitude and her permanent scowl, Diaz is downright intimidating. She’s one of the strongest female characters I’ve ever seen. Nobody dares cross her, and I love it.

It was hilarious and heartwarming to watch her character grow throughout the seasons, even embracing her softer side when she began dating Adrian Pimento in Season 3. When she came out as bisexual to the rest of the characters in Season 5, Episode 10, I was surprised how naturally it came up — and I can’t help but compare her coming-out to my own.

Embracing Bisexuality With Rosa Diaz

Transgender Leader a Star at Massive Indian Festival

In a desert tent guarded by armed police and a thick-set bouncer, Laxmi Narayan Tripathi is blessing a constant stream of pilgrims, who garland her with marigolds and kneel to touch her feet.

Tripathi, a tattooed transgender leader and a former reality TV star, has become an unlikely icon at India’s Kumbh Mela, a huge religious festival being held on the banks of the Ganges river in the city of Prayagraj. Up to 150 million people are expected to attend by the time the festival ends in March.  On Tuesday, her religious movement, called the Kinnar Akhada, became the first transgender group to bathe at the confluence of the holy Ganges and the Yamuna rivers on the first day of the ancient festival, traditionally reserved for reclusive Hindu priests, almost all of whom are men.

“After centuries down the line, it was when the community finally got its due,” Tripathi told Reuters, seated on a pedestal next to her Michael Kors bag, juggling calls on an iPhone.  Many at the festival cheer Tripathi for reclaiming the lost place in Hinduism for India’s “third gender”, known as the hijras, worshipped as demi-gods for thousands of years, but ridiculed and sidelined during British colonial rule.  A law passed in 1871 classed the hijras as “criminals”.

Transgender Leader a Star at Massive Indian Festival

Intersex People Should Not Live in 'Fear of Humiliation'

"Intersex people should not live in fear of humiliation or miss out on going to school", a minister said on Thursday, as Britain launched a consultation on improving services and campaigners called for a ban on unnecessary surgeries on babies.

The equalities office said it wanted to hear from parents who had to register the birth of a baby whose gender was not clear, as well as intersex people's experiences of healthcare, education, the workplace and sports facilities.

"It is concerning to think that people in the UK may be afraid to visit the doctor or feel unable to take part at school because they are not receiving the support they need or deserve," equalities minister Susan Williams said.  "Everyone in this country has a right to an education, healthcare and to go about their daily life without intrusion or fear of humiliation."

Estimates suggest as many as 1.7 percent of babies are born with an indeterminate sex, according to the United Nations.  They often undergo surgery to bring the appearance and function of their genitalia into line with that expected of males or females, which research suggests can lead to psychological damage later in life.

Intersex People Should Not Live in 'Fear of Humiliation'

AIDS Activist, LGBT Ally William Beale Dies at 77

William H. Beale Jr., a D.C. resident who in the early 1990s became an outspoken advocate for AIDS education and LGBT rights after his gay son died of AIDS and whose LGBT friends describe as a dedicated straight ally, died Jan. 3 at the D.C. Veteran’s Hospital.  His daughter, Keya Beale, said in a social media posting he was 77 years old and died of complications associated with pneumonia and a chronic heart condition.

Courtney Williams, editor and publisher of an online newsletter that covers the D.C. African-American LGBT community, said Beale and his family in 1992 created the Dwayne S. Brown Foundation as a tribute to their late son who died of AIDS.

“The foundation’s mission was to break the mold of silence in the African American Community in which some families of people with AIDS lived,” Williams said in a statement. “Dwayne’s mother appeared on posters and in a video, hoping to persuade people to stop hating men like her son,” Williams said. “Mr. Beale talked to caregivers and youth about using condoms to protect themselves from the virus.”

Beale became the president and CEO of the nonprofit foundation, according to Williams. 

AIDS Activist, LGBT Ally William Beale Dies at 77

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 03:45:15 PM »

Tuesday, February 5th, 2019

Annie Proulx on the Best Books to Understand Climate Change

Climate change is the catch-all term for the shift in world-wide weather phenomena associated with an increase in global average temperatures. It's real and temperatures have been going up around the world for many decades.

Author Annie Proulx shares her favorite books to help us cope with how our world is changing – and inspire everyone to do something about it

Today we live with non-stop special events of fire, flood, mud slide, rising water, whirling hurricanes, toxic algae blooms, unprecedented droughts. That word “unprecedented” is coming to define our time. Most of us were short-changed by educations that ignored ecology. We need clear explanations of climate change, what it means and how to cope with it.

Annie Proulx on the Best Books to Understand Climate Change

‘Prince & Knight’ Puts A Gay-Inclusive Twist On Traditional Fairy Tales

In Daniel Haack’s new picture book, a handsome prince’s search for happily ever after ends, as many fairy tales do, with a wedding. In this case, however, the prince’s heart isn’t won over by a beautiful maiden, but rather a knight in shining armor.  Haack, who resides in Los Angeles, said an overall lack of LGBTQ representation in children’s media inspired him to write Prince & Knight, released May 1. The book features stunning, full-color illustrations by Stevie Lewis that depict the prince’s stuggles in finding a bride, a battle with a ferocious, fire-breathing dragon and, finally, true love’s kiss. 

“Kids deserve to see their own lives and their families represented,” the first-time author, head of marketing and communications at JibJab for the children’s educational media brand StoryBots, told HuffPost. “I thought it’d be cool to take these classic fairy tale tropes of Prince Charming and the knight in shining armor and tell a story in which not only do they save the day, but they find true love in each other, too.”

‘Prince & Knight’ Puts A Gay-Inclusive Twist On Traditional Fairy Tales

Showtime Orders Sequel to Lesbian Series 'The L Word'

Showtime has given a series order to its long-awaited sequel to "The L Word."  Showtime confirmed the order Thursday morning during its portion of the Television Critics Association press tour in Pasadena, California. The series is headed into production this summer for debut by the end of this year.

Marja-Lewis Ryan will serve as showrunner and executive producer of the series alongside "L Word" creator Ilene Chaiken and original series stars Jennifer Beals, Katherine Moennig and Leisha Hailey. The drama that revolved around a group of LGBTQ women living on the Westside of Los Angeles ran for six seasons on Showtime from 2004 to 2009. Beals, Moennig and Hailey will reprise their roles for the new season.

"Marja has brought her unique and contemporary vision to 'The L Word' and blended it beautifully into the fabric of Ilene's groundbreaking series," said Gary Levine, Showtime's co-president of entertainment. "This revered show was both entertaining and impactful when it originally ran on Showtime, and we are confident that our new version will do that and more in 2019."

Showtime Orders Sequel to Lesbian Series 'The L Word'

What People Get Wrong About Bisexuality

The B in LGBTQ+ has long been invisible, erased, and maligned, both within the queer community and outside of it. People who identify as bisexual experience attraction to or have had sexual contact with people of more than one gender. However, misconceptions about bisexuals abound, from the ‘they’re just confused’ statements, to the idea that they’d be more likely to cheat on a partner, and the overarching argument that bisexual people don’t actually exist at all — they’re either gay, straight, or lying.

The consequences of these assumptions have a real, quantifiable impact on the mental and physical wellbeing of bi folks. A brief from the Human Rights Campaign showed that bi people face “minority stress,” commonly experienced by stigmatized groups, and have a higher risk of self-harm and attempted suicide than their gay, lesbian, or heterosexual counterparts. The stigma around being bisexual often stops people from coming out, seeking help, and exploring their sexuality. So, let’s parse through what these misconceptions really are, and what we’re getting wrong about bisexuality.

What People Get Wrong About Bisexuality

Jazz Finally Undergoes Gender Confirmation Surgery

Season 5 of TLC's "I Am Jazz" has already brought us along on some huge milestones of Jazz Jennings' life; however, Tuesday's episode brought the biggest moment so far.  The fifth episode of this season delved into Jazz's gender confirmation surgery, a huge event for the transgender teen.

The episode kicks off with a quick recap of the Jennings family traveling to New York for Jazz's surgery and the possible complications. With a viewer discretion at the opening of the episode, audiences are back in the hospital in the middle of the teen's procedure.

Jazz's particular case is difficult for doctors since she had started hormone blockers before puberty.  Due to her lack of testosterone, the teen did not have enough penial skin to create a vagina.  While the surgery was going well, doctors had to extend Jazz's incisions to create more skin grafts, since there wasn't enough material.

"The surgery is absolutely groundbreaking," Dr. Marci Bowers noted.

Jazz Finally Undergoes Gender Confirmation Surgery

Asexual Man Is Living With A Couple And 'Co-Parenting' Their Baby

A man who has not had sex in almost a decade has moved in with a couple to help raise their daughter.

David Jay is asexual and though he has had sex a few times, he has abstained from intercourse for the past eight years.  But now the software developer has started a relationship with a couple, Zeke Hausfather and Avary Kent, and is in the process of adopting their 18-month-old daughter to become her 'co-parent'.  The 36-year-old lives with Zeke, also 36, a climate scientist, and Avary, 34, the director of a not-for-profit, with their daughter in San Francisco, California.

David said: "She calls Zeke 'Daddy' and me 'Dadda'. I never thought I'd be able to form a family as an asexual, so I'm overjoyed to be a father with my co-parents."  Avary added: "We are most of the way through the adoption process and David will legally be her father."

David said he realized he was asexual when he was just 13 years old.  "At first I assumed I was a late bloomer or there was something wrong with me," he continued.  "I thought I was sexually repressed or sexually traumatized and that I was going to be alone forever and no one would want to be in a relationship with me."

Asexual Man Is Living With A Couple And 'Co-Parenting' Their Baby

LGBT Ally Cory Booker Running for President in 2020

Democratic Senator Cory Booker, a strong advocate of LGBT+ rights, has announced a run to take on Donald Trump in the 2020 Presidential election.  The Senator from New Jersey announced on Friday (February 1) that he is running for President, putting his name in contention for the Democratic nomination.

Booker launched his campaign in a video, saying: “In America we have a common pain, but what we’re lacking is a sense of common purpose.  I grew up knowing the only way we can only make change is when people come together.”

The campaign launch video features brief clips of a Pride parade, in addition to civil rights protests.  Cory Booker has a strong LGBT+ rights record, a long-time LGBT+ rights supporter, Cory Booker first made his name as the Mayor of Newark, New Jersey, first elected in 2006.

As Mayor, Booker would go on to make history by conducting New Jersey’s first same-sex marriage ceremonies, in October 2013.

LGBT Ally Cory Booker Running for President in 2020

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: gwyllion, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 03:03:42 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 04:03:46 PM »

Tuesday, February 12th, 2019

From Columbine to Parkland: How We Got the Story Wrong on Mass Shootings

After Columbine, Dave Cullen swore he would never write about a mass shooting again. But over the next 20 years, he realized that he and other journalists had a duty to destroy the deadly myths they had helped create

As I drove down Highway 6 toward the Rocky Mountains on 20 April 1999, hoping to find this high school I had never heard of in Columbine, where shots had been reported but no injuries, I had no conception of what I was about to witness. What was happening inside that high school was unimaginable. What it ignited was far worse.

Who could have known what we were in for? The police weren’t ready: they surrounded the school and waited for demands that never came. There was no active shooter protocol; the “lockdown drill” was still unconceived and inconceivable. Why would we drill kids to hide from gunmen? None of us had an inkling that the school shooter era had begun.

The school shooter era. Even 10 years after Columbine, I still couldn’t perceive what we were living through in that way. No one could. It had been going on far too long, but it was hard to predict its endurance or trajectory. While I despise the media scorekeeping – awarding the killers titles like prizefighters, giving them exactly what they crave – one stat is worth noting: what was then the most notorious mass murder in recent American history no longer ranks in the top 10. Four of the five deadliest attacks in the US have occurred since then, three of them in the past three years. In a five-day period near the end of last month, the US suffered four mass murders in four different states: Louisiana, Georgia, Pennsylvania and Florida. This is not going away, it’s getting worse.

From Columbine to Parkland: How We Got the Story Wrong on Mass Shootings

Parkland side note:  A big UK publisher (part of Hachette) is publishing Parkland simultaneously with a new edition of Columbine, with a new preface. It will be in all UK-distribution areas:  Ireland, Australia, South Africa and New Zealand.

Parkland is in hardcover in the US edition, paperback in the UK edition. Otherwise, exactly the same,  printed off the same plates.

‘Patricia Nell Warren, Author of the Groundbreaking Gay Novel ‘The Front Runner’, Has Died at 82

Patricia Nell Warren, author of the highly-influential 1974 novel The Front Runner, about a love affair between a running coach and his star athlete, has died at 82.  An out lesbian, Warren was the author of more than 10 books including Harlans’s Race, Billy’s Boy, and The Fancy Dancer. The Front Runner was the first work of gay fiction to make the New York Times best-seller list.

Wrote Warren’s friend John Selig on Facebook: “I have some sad news to share. My very dear friend Patricia Nell Warren passed away this morning. Patricia was a New York Times Best Selling author who was also an editor for over 20 years with the Readers Digest. In 1974 her ground breaking novel, The Front Runner, was published. Those of you who know me have often heard me speak about Patricia. She has been one of my closest friends for over 20 years. I am in Los Angeles and I was going to spend tomorrow with Patricia so I missed seeing her by one day. I last spoke with her yesterday. Patricia has been the kind of friend that one is lucky to find once or twice in a lifetime. For me Patricia has been a cross between a second mom and an older sister. Patricia was a phenomenal writer who loved to garden and cook. She was the best historian I have ever known and a master researcher for all of her writing, both fiction and non-fiction. She adored animals and loved to share stories of the Grant-Khors Ranch in Deer Lodge, Montana where she grew up…The world has lost an amazing talent today. I have lost a friend who has changed my life. RIP Patricia. I will love and miss you always.”

Patricia Nell Warren, Author of the Groundbreaking Gay Novel ‘The Front Runner’, Has Died at 82

The Walking Dead to Introduce a New Lesbian Couple

The Walking Dead has introduced two new characters who will soon be unveiled as a lesbian couple.  Magna and Yumiko made their debut on the AMC’s post-apocalyptic zombie drama in November, during Episode 5 of the show’s ninth season—but have not explicitly been shown as a couple.

But Eleanor Matsuura, who plays Yumiko, has now revealed to Digital Spy that the women’s relationship will be made obvious to viewers when the show returns on Sunday (February 10).

“We will see a lot more of Magna and Yumiko functioning as a couple, and it’s something that I fought really hard for and Nadia (Hilker) fought really hard for, to make sure we have that inclusion,” she said. “Obviously in the comics, it’s obvious that they’re a couple. But we wanted to make sure that it was also obvious in the show,” Matsuura said.  “So we fought really hard to have a kiss between us included in one of the later episodes, so we’ll have that to look forward to!”

The actress, who has also had roles in Wonder Woman and British TV series Sherlock, said she and Hilker were excited about the impact their roles could have.  “We feel very proud to be representing the LGBTQ community,” she said. “I feel a responsibility about it.  “I don’t take it lightly. I’m delighted to be representing where I think television and actually all platforms and media need to be going. I’m happy to be part of it.”

The Walking Dead to Introduce a New Lesbian Couple

How Bisexual Women Face Stigma and Hostility in Relationships

A new study reveals many "bisexual-plus" Kiwi women feel misunderstood and invalidated when dating.  Auckland University of Technology's Tara Pond is the first New Zealand academic to analyse in-depth the lives and romantic relationships of bisexual-plus women - those attracted to multiple genders.   For her PhD Pond surveyed 1000 women aged 20 to 88 who identified as bisexual, pansexual or queer. She found bisexual-plus women often experienced prejudice while in relationships with people of different genders.

"When a woman's in a relationship with a man they look like they're heterosexual, when they're in a relationship with a woman they look like they're gay and so people will call them that. [Participants] felt quite invalidated or oppressed by those labels."

One participant anonymously told Pond she felt like a "tourist" in the rainbow community. "Biphobia may be more extreme from straight people but it hurts more when it's from queer people."

How Bisexual Women Face Stigma and Hostility in Relationships

Mom Hosts Gender Reveal Party for Transgender Son

There were balloons, confetti and a big teddy bear – all the usual trappings of an extravagant gender reveal photo shoot. But this Kentucky mom’s celebration had a twist: it was a gender reveal for her 20-year-old transgender son.

“He thought I was insane,” Heather Green told CNN.  “How do you tell people your daughter is now your son? But not only now your son, but has always been your son.”  Last September, the son, Adrian Brown, told Green he’d be transitioning.  Green says she didn’t just want to support the journey; she wanted to celebrate it. And that’s what she did last month, when Brown turned 20.

Staying true to the cute and quirky nature of the gender reveal trend, Green posed in a fake belly bump with blue balloons. Brown lay next to a teddy bear swaddled in a blanket.

Mom Hosts Gender Reveal Party for Transgender Son

I Wasn’t Ready for the Intersex Surgery I Had as a Child

Amanda Saenz would like to turn back the clock.  Back to age 13 when a doctor said that surgery was the only option—and that it had to happen now. Because only later did Saenz realize the full gravity of what happened.  “I feel like I’ve been sterilized,” Saenz says.

Saenz is intersex, one of the up to 1.7 percent of people who were born with atypical chromosomes, hormones, or genitals.  Saenz has since come out as non-binary, too, and uses the gender-neutral pronoun “they” to reflect an identity that is neither strictly male nor female. Like many intersex people, Saenz underwent surgery to remove their gonads—surgery they didn’t understand at the time. (Saenz didn’t know, for example, that long-term hormone therapy would be required after surgery.)

“There was the day I was given a diagnosis,” Saenz recalls, “And then two months later, I was under the knife on an operating table, essentially.”  Saenz, who manages the youth program of the intersex nonprofit interACT, is now championing a new bill in California, SB 201, to prevent this from happening to others. Introduced on January 28, SB 201 would make California the first state in the country to ban medically unnecessary surgeries on intersex minors that could be “deferred,” as the bill states, until such time as those minors can provide informed consent.

I Wasn’t Ready for the Intersex Surgery I Had as a Child

How Joel Edgerton Became the Model LGBT Ally

“I do acknowledge some people say I should not have made the film,” Boy Erased actor-director Joel Edgerton tells PinkNews. “But I’m very proud that I did.”  Edgerton, the Golden Globe-nominated star of The Great Gatsby and Loving, is talking about his latest film, Boy Erased, a gay conversion therapy drama that he directed, wrote and stars in.

Boy Erased is based on the true story of conversion therapy survivor Garrard Conley, who, as a teenager, was sent to a Christian conversion camp to cure him of his homosexuality. It didn’t work. Conley wrote about his harrowing experiences in a 2016 memoir—which serves as the source material for Edgerton’s script.

Conley’s book landed on Edgerton’s reading list by way of Anonymous Content producer Kerry Kohansky Roberts and his own agent, who had just moved to Anonymous. Knowing that Edgerton was on the lookout for material for his second feature-length directorial effort—after 2015’s excellent horror film The Gift“they conspired to give me the book,” he says.  Edgerton devoured the book, but was not sure it was the right project for him. “I didn’t feel, on a representation level, that I had the right to be the writer-director of the story,” he says. “Then I was obsessing about the book—thinking about it, ruminating on it, every day.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »

Tuesday, February 19th, 2019

Annie Proulx On Seductive ‘Cold War’

Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist and writer Annie Proulx, whose works include the short story that was turned into the groundbreaking eight-Oscar-nomination Brokeback Mountain, and The Shipping News, was moved by passion to write a guest column on Cold War. Director Pawel Pawlikowski wrote his black-and-white Poland-set historical period drama with Janusz Głowacki and Piotr Borkowski, and based the plot set in the ruins of post-World War II Poland on the love story of his own parents. The film stars Tomasz Kot and Joanna Kulig as the couple, and the Amazon Studios-released film is up for three Oscars including Best Foreign Language Film, Best Director (Pawlikowski) and Best Cinematography (Lukasz Zal).

Annie Proulx On Seductive ‘Cold War’

“In the Closet of the Vatican”

Most of the higher-ups in the Roman Catholic Church are gay, making the Vatican one of the world’s largest homosexual communities, according to a gay French author.  In what can only be described as stating the obvious, author Frederic Martel accuses Catholic bishops of rabid hypocrisy. He also says it’s all linked to the current crisis in the Catholic Church.

In the explosive book, “In the Closet of the Vatican,” author Frederic Martel describes a gay subculture at the Vatican and calls out the hypocrisy of Catholic bishops and cardinals who in public denounce homosexuality but in private lead double lives.  What’s especially notable is the level of access the writer achieved. He’s not just lobbing accusations at the Church. He has the kind of insight that suggests a much higher level of credibility than if it had been written by a casual Vatican observer.

Aside from the subject matter, the book is astonishing for the access Martel had to the inner sanctum of the Holy See. Martel writes that he spent four years researching it in 30 countries, including weeks at a time living inside the Vatican walls. He says the doors were opened by a key Vatican gatekeeper and friend of Pope Francis who was the subject of the pontiff’s famous remark about gay priests, “Who am I to judge?”

“In the Closet of the Vatican”

Indiana Lesbian Couple Turned Away by Tax-Filing Business

Samantha and Bailey Brazzel had approached Carver Tax Service in Russiaville, Indiana, to file their first joint tax return since their wedding in 2018.  But the newlywed couple were left stunned when the business owner, who had filed Bailey’s individual taxes for several years, refused to take their custom.

Speaking to the Kokomo Tribune newspaper, Bailey Brazzel said: “At first we thought she was kidding, but when she started talking about the Bible, we knew she was serious… and I was completely shocked.  You hear about it all the time, but nothing like this has happened to us before.  She had done my taxes with no issues before, but now that we were married and she didn’t agree with my life choices, she wouldn’t.”  Brazzel said that she and her wife were shaken by the incident, adding: “My wife was trying to console me and I was crying.”

Nancy Fivecoate of Carter Tax Service told the newspaper: “[Bailey] came with her wife and I declined to prepare the taxes because of my religious beliefs.  I am a Christian and I believe marriage is between one man and one woman. I was very respectful to them. I told them where I thought she might be able to get her taxes prepared.”

Fivecoate said it was not the first time the issue had come up. 

Indiana Lesbian Couple Turned Away by Tax-Filing Business

Rita Ora 'Understands' Girls Controversies

Rita Ora understands why her single 'Girls' sparked outrage.

The 28-year-old singer's track was widely criticized, with members of the LGBT community accusing Rita of trivializing lesbian relationships, but she's insisted that was never her intention and that, at the time, most people weren't aware she's bisexual.  Rita - who featured on the single alongside Cardi B, Charli XCX and Bebe Rexha - told the 'What's The Tee' podcast: "When I was younger I was very experimental - in my late teens, early 20s - so I wanted to make a song about girls who may have been confused about who they are."

Rita understands why she was accused of "using the culture" for her own financial benefit.  However, Rita "forgot" that the public weren't aware that she's bisexual.  She said: "When it came out I think people looked at it, because they didn't know about my experience, like I was using the culture - which was understandable.  I never looked at it like that because I knew I'd experienced it. But I forgot that nobody else knew that."

Rita Ora 'Understands' Girls Controversies

Transgender Nurse Wins Discrimination Case Against Iowa

A transgender nurse who was barred from using the restroom corresponding with his gender identity and denied transition-related care won a discrimination lawsuit against the state of Iowa  this week.  The jury awarded Jesse Vroegh $120,000 in damages on Wednesday.  Jurors found that the state engaged in discrimination by forcing Vroegh, 37, to use the female restroom at the Iowa Correctional Institution for Women, where Vroegh worked as a nurse for about seven years.

"This whole lawsuit process has been difficult and emotionally very trying," Vroegh said in a statement. "My life has been put under a microscope. But I do it because it's important for all the transgender Iowans who come after me.  I want them to be treated fair and equally."

Almost a year ago, Vroegh filed suit against the Iowa Department of Corrections, the Iowa Department of Administrative Services, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield and Patti Wachtendorf, the previous warden at the women's prison in Mitchellville. Wellmark was later dismissed from the lawsuit.  In his suit, Vroegh – who was represented by the ACLU of Iowa, the ACLU LGBT Project and cooperating attorney Melissa Hasso – claimed all of the listed defendants treated him differently than other male employees solely because he is transgender.

Transgender Nurse Wins Discrimination Case Against Iowa

The Pansexual Revolution: How Sexual Fluidity Became Mainstream

Nick Meadowcroft-Lunn has a girlfriend, whom he has been seeing for three years. Jezz Palmer has a girlfriend, too, and they have been together for five. You might assume therefore that Nick is straight and Jezz is gay; or, if not, that both must be bisexual. But you would be wrong.

“I always describe my sexuality as: ‘If you’ve got nice hair and pretty eyes, I’m down for it,’” explains Jezz, a 26-year-old editor working in historical publishing. “It’s not that gender doesn’t matter, because it can be important, but it’s a bit of an afterthought. It’s just like: ‘Oh, hello.’” For a while, she wasn’t sure what to call this, but eight years ago she settled on “pansexual” as the closest word. “It took me a while to figure it out. [The TV series] Torchwood was about the only thing I’d heard of. I was talking about maybe being pansexual and someone said: ‘Oh, like Captain Jack in Torchwood.’”

Nick, a 22-year-old physics and philosophy masters student at the University of York, initially thought he was bisexual as a teenager, but also now feels “pansexual” better fits his view that attraction isn’t really about gender. “I just find characteristics generally about people attractive. Pan is simply easier to understand, and much closer to the truth for me. It’s not specific to any gender.” He often explains it, he says, by talking about height: a bi person might find tall guys attractive, and short girls. But he tends to fancy tall people, regardless of whether they are male or female.

The Pansexual Revolution: How Sexual Fluidity Became Mainstream

“I do acknowledge some people say I should not have made the film,” Boy Erased actor-director Joel Edgerton tells PinkNews. “But I’m very proud that I did.”  Edgerton, the Golden Globe-nominated star of The Great Gatsby and Loving, is talking about his latest film, Boy Erased, a gay conversion therapy drama that he directed, wrote and stars in.

Boy Erased is based on the true story of conversion therapy survivor Garrard Conley, who, as a teenager, was sent to a Christian conversion camp to cure him of his homosexuality. It didn’t work. Conley wrote about his harrowing experiences in a 2016 memoir—which serves as the source material for Edgerton’s script.

Conley’s book landed on Edgerton’s reading list by way of Anonymous Content producer Kerry Kohansky Roberts and his own agent, who had just moved to Anonymous. Knowing that Edgerton was on the lookout for material for his second feature-length directorial effort—after 2015’s excellent horror film The Gift“they conspired to give me the book,” he says.  Edgerton devoured the book, but was not sure it was the right project for him. “I didn’t feel, on a representation level, that I had the right to be the writer-director of the story,” he says. “Then I was obsessing about the book—thinking about it, ruminating on it, every day.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 05:20:20 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »

Tuesday, February 26th, 2019

Ultimate Brokeback Forum - On The Move!

Our hoster has informed us that they are moving to a new datacenter with more redundancy and even better power facilities.  They move is earmarked for 31st March but this has not been confirmed as definite yet.  When we are given a definite date, we will post the information in key threads of the forum, to alert our members.

This is the statement from our hoster.

Equinix is one of the most prestigious global colocation providers.  We have had many requests by our loyal client base over the years to expand into foreign and domestic markets.  By adding Equinix’s services to our offerings we can now do more for our clients., As with any quality data center Equinix offers N+1 power with multi utility feeds & generators, N+1 on all cooling system, along with the highest quality onsite security in the business, and so much more.

No IP will be changed. GC servers will take between 2-4 hours to be moved. At this time the move window falls between 9PM to 4AM PST. No hard dates have been set for G.C. server move. The current end date for the move is March 31.

Ang Lee Joins Revolt Against Oscars Schedule

Award-winning Taiwanese director Ang Lee has joined the ranks of Hollywood personalities protesting against the plans to hand out four Academy Awards during commercial breaks.

In an effort to shorten the February 24 Oscars ceremony hoping to win back viewers, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced plans for the awards for film editing, cinematography, live-action shorts and makeup and hairstyling to be handed over while television viewers were watching commercials.

The plan touched off a wave of protests, with prominent directors, actors and other Hollywood leaders describing the change as an “insult” in an open letter.  The message has been signed by stars such as George Clooney, Brad Pitt and Sandra Bullock, and by directors such as Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino, according to the Hollywood Reporter. Ang Lee was also mentioned as one of the signatories.

Ang Lee Joins Revolt Against Oscars Schedule

Twins, But Only One Is Considered A US Citizen

Aiden and Ethan Dvash-Banks are twin brothers who were born minutes apart. But only one of them was considered to be a United States citizen by the State Department.

A federal judge ruled this week that was a mistake.

The twins are the sons of two married gay men, an American citizen and an Israeli citizen. Aiden was conceived using sperm from his American father and Ethan was conceived using sperm from his Israeli father, court records show. A surrogate mother gave birth to the boys in Canada in 2016.

The family sued the State Department for denying Ethan citizenship, drawing attention to a department policy that says that a child born abroad must be biologically related to an American parent to become a citizen. Gay rights activists argued that the policy harms same-sex couples, who often use assisted reproductive technology to have children.  “Two kids who have almost identical life experiences and parenting,” said Aaron C. Morris, a lawyer for the family and the executive director of Immigration Equality, a legal advocacy group that worked on the case. “To treat them differently is absurd.”

Twins, But Only One Is Considered A US Citizen

One of Our First Proud, Out Black Lesbians

Samantha and Bailey Brazzel had approached Carver Tax Service in Russiaville, Indiana, to file their first joint tax return since their wedding in 2018.  But the newlywed couple were left stunned when the business owner, who had filed Bailey’s individual taxes for several years, refused to take their custom.

In her 72 years, Barbara not only cofounded the Combahee River Collective, she helped build a visible Black feminist movement during a period when one did not exist. “Virtually everything I have done has been in service of that mission,” Barbara says, from teaching one of the first courses on Black women writers in the United States in 1973, to building the field of Black women’s studies by asserting that there was and could be such a thing, and cofounding Kitchen Table: Women of Color Press in 1980, the first United States publisher for all women of color to reach a large national audience, which published the second edition of the beloved and groundbreaking anthology This Bridge Called My Back. “Arguably, the history of Black women’s organizing would be very different if none of these interventions had occurred,” she tells me.

In a world where Black queer women are often erased in racial justice, feminist, and mainstream LGBTQ+ spaces, Smith and her comrades have ensured their lives, experiences, contributions, and talents are not erased. Because of Barbara’s love of Black women and her own audacity to be seen and heard, specifically in print, on bookshelves, and in the academy, we the readers, are made better.

One of Our First Proud, Out Black Lesbians

Teacher ‘Fired After Coming Out As Bisexual to Stop Student’s Suicide’

A teacher in Kentucky claims he was fired after coming out as bisexual to stop one of his students from killing herself.  Nicholas Breiner believes he was let go as a choral teacher at J.B. McNabb Middle School, in the town of Mount Sterling, because he opened up about his sexuality, according to USA Today.

Breiner revealed he was bisexual in response to an alleged episode in which a student came out to him as a lesbian and then threatened to attempt suicide.  This, Breiner said, prompted him to publicly come out in an emotional Instagram post—before he had even told his family—because he was so concerned for the wellbeing of other students who might be struggling with their sexuality. 

Three days after the Instagram post, Breiner claims he was ordered to the principal’s office, asked about his sexuality by a deputy school superintendent and warned to keep the fact that he was bisexual to himself.  A few weeks later, he was reportedly told his contract with Montgomery County Public Schools would not be renewed.

Teacher ‘Fired After Coming Out As Bisexual to Stop Student’s Suicide’

Jackie Shane, Transgender Soul Singer of the 1960s, Dies at 78

Jackie Shane, a black transgender soul singer from the American South who moved to Toronto in the 1960s and packed out nightclubs for years with electrifying showmanship, was found dead Feb. 21 in Nashville. She was 78.  Record label Numero Group, which produced a Grammy-nominated album about Ms. Shane that brought her back out into the spotlight, confirmed the death, but the cause was not immediately available.

Ms. Shane became a musical mystery after disappearing suddenly in 1971, but her legacy lived on among music historians and vinyl collectors. She lived in anonymity for decades after retiring and was a recluse who didn’t leave her house.  A Canadian Broadcasting Company documentary about Ms. Shane renewed interest in the singer and a few years ago, Douglas Mcgowan from Numero Group tracked her down by phone in Nashville, where she was born. She agreed to work with the label on a new release of all her singles and live recordings, called “Any Other Way,” which was released in 2017.

Music journalist Rob Bowman interviewed her by phone for hours to write the liner notes for the project, which detailed her youth growing up black and transgender in the Jim Crow era of the South, through her travels to Canada, and her recording and performing career.  The album was nominated for best historical album at this month’s Grammy Awards, but lost to “Voices of Mississippi: Artists and Musicians Documented by William Ferris.

Jackie Shane, Transgender Soul Singer of the 1960s, Dies at 78

Mavournee Hazel Comes Out as Demisexual

Neighbours star Mavournee Hazel has come out as demisexual. A person who identifies as demisexual only develops a sexual attraction toward someone after forming an emotional connection with them.  Hazel opened up about her sexuality in an interview with Sportsgirl when she was asked about the worst date she’d even been on. “I am not a dater; my definition of love is very different to what I grew up with and what everyone around me is still doing,” she admitted.

She continued opening up, saying: “I used to think there was something wrong with me or that I was broken because I wasn’t into the dating game, but as I got older I realized there is a whole spectrum."

“As I am getting older and learning more about love and life, I am still finding my feet. I really don’t know if I have been in love…I don’t know!”  Confirming her sexual identity, she said: “I identify as demisexual, which means you don’t see people in a sexual way and it’s close to being asexual. The one time I think I was in love it was after two years because I knew the person so well, like my best friend.  My definition of love is very different of other people’s.”

Mavournee Hazel Comes Out as Demisexual

Reggie Bullock is a Big LGBT Ally

In a homecoming of sorts, 27-year old Reggie Bullock returns to the basketball court at the Staples Center to play for the LA Lakers. Four years ago the Kinston, North Carolina native was a rookie player for the LA Clippers.

The Lakers traded Svi Mykhailiuk and a second-round draft pick to the Detroit Pistons for Bullock. The trade is seen as improving the Laker’s defense as Bullock is considered a capable wing defender who, at 6’7’’ can switch to multiple positions. And there’s his standing as the 12th ranked (currently) in the NBA in made 3-pointers (2.6 per game). He’s 3rd in the league scoring on handoffs, 4th in catch-and-shoot scoring, in the 93rd percentile coming off screens and the 83rd percentile on spot ups.

But the most tangible impact of the trade, on and off court, is Bullock’s activism for LGBT equality, especially for the trans community. A new documentary film from Vice Sports  follows his journey into LGBT activism after his sister Mia Henderson’s 2014 murder in Baltimore, Maryland. The murder was the second of a trans woman of color in the city that summer.

The now-former Police Commissioner of the Baltimore City Police Department, Anthony W. Batts, vowed that Henderson’s death, as well as another victim’s would be fully investigated. “I will not slow down. I will not allow us to not stay on top of these. We will push extremely hard,” he said at the time.  A suspect, Shawn Oliver, 46, was acquitted of all charges on Jan. 12, 2017 in Henderson’s death. Oliver was arrested in August 2015 after police discovered DNA evidence on Henderson’s fingernails that matched Oliver. He had been charged with first-degree murder as well as second-degree murder and first-degree assault.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 03:06:05 PM »

Tuesday, March 5th, 2019

Our hoster has informed us that they are moving to a new datacenter with more redundancy and even better power facilities.  They move is earmarked for 31st March but this has not been confirmed as definite yet.  When we are given a definite date, we will post the information in key threads of the forum, to alert our members.

Equinix is one of the most prestigious global colocation providers.  We have had many requests by our loyal client base over the years to expand into foreign and domestic markets.  By adding Equinix’s services to our offerings we can now do more for our clients., As with any quality data center Equinix offers N+1 power with multi utility feeds & generators, N+1 on all cooling system, along with the highest quality onsite security in the business, and so much more.

No IP will be changed. GC servers will take between 2-4 hours to be moved. At this time the move window falls between 9PM to 4AM PST. No hard dates have been set for G.C. server move. The current end date for the move is March 31.

'Hellboy' Star David Harbour

Stranger Things star David Harbour is the new Hellboy, fair and square. He took over the reins to the franchise from the fan-favorite Ron Perlman and one thing's for certain — Harbour doesn't want to tarnish his predecessor's legacy in the slightest.  Speaking with Empire, Harbour revealed that he didn't aim to imitate Perlman's take on the Mike Mignola-created character. The Hellboy star made sure to point out his take on Anung Un Rama is different than what fans have seen in past movies.

“[Perlman] does something quite extraordinary in those films that is very specific to him, and I did not want to imitate that in any way,” Harbour said. “In our movie Hellboy’s younger. He’s rougher. He’s much more of a teenager. He’s really struggling with the idea of whether or not he’s a good person.”

In the same Empire article, the magazine released an all-new still from the film, showing the titular character strolling down a chandelier-lit hallway.

'Hellboy' Star David Harbour

Bishop Urges Methodists to Stay After Vote

Bishop Debra Wallace-Padgett, head of the North Alabama Conference of the United Methodist Church, spoke to clergy from across the state on Saturday to soothe tensions after a controversial international meeting that kept in place bans on gay marriage and openly gay clergy.  “The General Conference was certainly an intense experience,” Wallace-Padgett said. “Some were disappointed and hurt by it. Others supported the outcome.” 

Either way, she urged clergy to stay the course in the nation’s second-largest Protestant denomination.  “We’re more together than we are independently,” she said.  Wallace-Padgett held a closed-door meeting with clergy Saturday morning at ClearBranch United Methodist Church in Argo. In the afternoon, she met with lay members of churches from across the state.

“She’s trying to hold us together,” said the Rev. Brian Erickson, senior pastor of Trinity United Methodist Church in Homewood. “We’re no more different now than we were a year ago or five years ago. The question is are we better off together or apart? It’s a broken-hearted family meeting. Harm’s been done to people.”

Essentially, the church kept its controversial language opposing gay marriage and gay clergy, which has been in the Book of Discipline since 1972. Leaders of the gay and lesbian rights movement in the church have been lobbying to change the stance at every international General Conference, the law-making assembly of the denomination, since then.

Bishop Urges Methodists to Stay After Vote

Jay Qualls Helps Lesbian Couple Denied Service

A Middle Tennessee lesbian couple denied service by a wedding cake baker have now been offered a free cake by famed Nashville cake designer Jay Qualls.  Qualls, who has been in a same-sex marriage for three years, said he was “enraged” when he heard about Brandi Ray and Michelle Schmidt being denied a wedding cake by Susie Dennison of Susie’s Sweets in Burns, about 35 miles west of Nashville. Ray and Schmidt are from Dickson.  “It’s different if they are a bad citizen or a bad customer. You have every right to refuse to do business with them. That creates havoc for your business. You have the right to say, no,” Qualls said. “But this is so ... discriminatory. It has to stop.”

Qualls, who has appeared on numerous TV shows and designed the cake for Miranda Lambert and Blake Shelton’s wedding, reached out to Ray after her social media post and subsequent story by a Nashville TV station.

Dennison had initially agreed to bake the cake for Ray and Schmidt.  Dennison texted Ray, stating she couldn’t design her cake due to her “spiritual convictions and beliefs” about the same-sex marriage. Dennison said in the text, which Ray posted on social media, that if she had known before Ray left the business, she could have told her face to face.  Dennison did not return voicemails or messages seeking comment.

Jay Qualls Helps Lesbian Couple Denied Service

Why Lilly Singh's Bisexuality Is a Huge Moment for the South Asian Community

Remember the scene from Bend it Like Beckham—the 2002 hit about a girl coming-of-age in a traditional Punjabi family in the UK—when Jess’ sister’s almost in-laws thought they saw her kissing Jules and they called off the wedding? “Why couldn’t you like boys like the rest of us,” the sister asked Jess—short for Jasminder Singh—and the mother said, “Look at her bringing shame on the family.”

Well, Jess did like boys, it was just a misunderstanding, and later the wedding did happen. But the family’s reaction was right out of a handbook because being gay is still related to shame in most South Asian families.

Many South Asian families in the West still find it difficult to even talk about sex, and would rather have us believe babies are born from holding hands, let alone discuss sexuality outside of a traditional heterosexual relationship. So when Toronto-born YouTube celebrity Lilly Singh came out as bisexual on Twitter, it was nothing less than a historic moment for the South Asian LGBTQI community, given her massive popularity.

Why Lilly Singh's Bisexuality Is a Huge Moment for the South Asian Community

Transgender Troops Testify Before House

Army Capt. Alivia Stehlik commissioned as an infantry officer from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York, graduated from Ranger School and lived a “soldier’s life,” she said, spending long periods in the field before becoming a physical therapist in the service.  After the Obama administration rescinded a ban in 2016 on serving while transgender, she wanted to do something else as a soldier, too: Transition from male to female.

The decision did not affect her ability to do her job, she told the House Armed Services Committee’s subcommittee on military personnel on Wednesday. Stehlik recently returned from a deployment to eastern Afghanistan, where she replaced a pregnant soldier in their unit. She acknowledged having concerns that soldiers in her unit would be comfortable with her treating them, but found that they actually opened up to her after she transitioned.

“They talked to me and told me things they never would have before,” Stehlik said. “Things that said they’ve never told other people. I asked them why, and the consistent answer is that they valued my authenticity — my courage in being myself. It allowed them to do the same thing.”

Stehlik was one of five U.S. service members who testified before the subcommittee, becoming the first transgender members of the U.S. military to openly talk about their experiences before Congress. They appeared in civilian clothing in their own capacity, describing their experiences at a time when the Trump administration is fighting in federal court to put in place a new policy that will limit many transgender people from serving in their preferred sex.

Transgender Troops Testify Before House

The Difference Between Asexual and Aromantic

By the time I hit my senior year in college, I thought I had heard just about every crazy sex story there was. (I went to a school with over 40,000 students in the middle of nowhere—and for bored college students, sex might as well be an extracurricular activity). But then, in my senior English class, a girl stood up to read a personal story she had written. She told us about a below-average date she had recently gone on and concluded by saying, "I always knew I was asexual, but aromantic, too!?"

I was familiar with the term asexual, but what was aromantic? Even with all of the so-called sex-ed I had gotten from going to large state university, I had never heard the word. What I did know, however, was that I admired my fellow student for having the courage to read something so personal in front of a class of people she barely knew. Sure, it can be hard to keep up with emerging definitions of sexuality, but I figured if she could do that, I could do my research.

So, I decided to poll relationship experts to ask them to explain. Below, what you need to know about being aromantic, including how it differs from being asexual.

The Difference Between Asexual and Aromantic

In a homecoming of sorts, 27-year old Reggie Bullock returns to the basketball court at the Staples Center to play for the LA Lakers. Four years ago the Kinston, North Carolina native was a rookie player for the LA Clippers.

The Lakers traded Svi Mykhailiuk and a second-round draft pick to the Detroit Pistons for Bullock. The trade is seen as improving the Laker’s defense as Bullock is considered a capable wing defender who, at 6’7’’ can switch to multiple positions. And there’s his standing as the 12th ranked (currently) in the NBA in made 3-pointers (2.6 per game). He’s 3rd in the league scoring on handoffs, 4th in catch-and-shoot scoring, in the 93rd percentile coming off screens and the 83rd percentile on spot ups.

But the most tangible impact of the trade, on and off court, is Bullock’s activism for LGBT equality, especially for the trans community. A new documentary film from Vice Sports  follows his journey into LGBT activism after his sister Mia Henderson’s 2014 murder in Baltimore, Maryland. The murder was the second of a trans woman of color in the city that summer.

The now-former Police Commissioner of the Baltimore City Police Department, Anthony W. Batts, vowed that Henderson’s death, as well as another victim’s would be fully investigated. “I will not slow down. I will not allow us to not stay on top of these. We will push extremely hard,” he said at the time.  A suspect, Shawn Oliver, 46, was acquitted of all charges on Jan. 12, 2017 in Henderson’s death. Oliver was arrested in August 2015 after police discovered DNA evidence on Henderson’s fingernails that matched Oliver. He had been charged with first-degree murder as well as second-degree murder and first-degree assault.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 06:58:46 PM »

Tuesday, March 12th, 2019

20th Anniversary - "10 Things I Hate About You"

The late Heath Ledger was playing a didgeridoo the first time that he met his 10 Things I Hate about You co-star Andrew Keegan, the actor revealed on Friday.  Keegan, 40, who played Joey Donne in the 1999 American teen romantic comedy-drama, told the hilarious anecdote of their first encounter at a 20th anniversary reunion of the cast, in Los Angeles, according to TooFab.

Speaking of his first impressions of Ledger, who died in 2008 of an accidental drugs overdose, he explained: 'We were in this hotel in Tacoma, Washington, I think we were coming back from rehearsals because he came late.  At that time there was no internet, I didn't really look, I think I probably had seen a head-shot. I was getting on the elevator and right as the doors were closing, one of those classic moments, and the door just stops.  This guy gets on and he's got a Didgeridoo. I could just remember I was in character too and I was like, "This f***ing guy. Really? Long hair, Didgeridoo, Australian accent." And that's the memory of meeting him."

He added: 'He was absolutely such an epic part of this project ... We love Heath.'

20th Anniversary - "10 Things I Hate About You"

Methodist Church Might Split Over Worldwide Gay Policies

Minnesota Methodist pastors are stunned by the church’s recent decision to strengthen rules against gay weddings and ordinations.  They are talking openly about splitting the church apart, to form a new denomination more open to sexual and gender variations.  “Pastors like me are heartbroken, anguished, mad and frustrated,” said the Rev. Mariah Furness Tollgaard of Hamline Church in St. Paul, which displays a rainbow banner outside the church.  “The outcome is the inevitable death of the United Methodist Church as it currently stands,” she wrote in a letter to her congregation.

On Feb. 26 the governing body of the church, called the General Conference, reaffirmed traditional rules forbidding gay marriages and clergy. It added new penalties to any clergy violating those rules.  The decision flies in the face of long-standing Minnesota traditions. In 1971, a Minnesota Methodist made national headlines by officiating one of the first gay weddings in the country. Since then, most of Minnesota’s Methodist churches support gay marriage and ordinations.

Methodist Church Might Split Over Worldwide Gay Policies

House Republicans Hide Behind ‘Lesbian Radical Feminist’

A baffling sentence opened the Thursday testimony of Julia Beck, an anti-trans conservative speaking at the U.S. House Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security on the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act.  “I am a lesbian radical feminist,” said Beck, who was removed from the Baltimore City LGBTQ Commission Committee on Law and Policy for her anti-transgender advocacy, “and I am politically homeless.”

In fact, Beck had found a welcoming political home for her testimony on Thursday, as she had when she spoke to Fox News’ Tucker Carlson in February and at the Heritage Foundation in January. Beck’s home is among conservatives, where she is granted a platform to give the right wing’s anti-transgender activism the veneer of bipartisanship. 

Lawmakers on the House subcommittee discussed the reauthorization of VAWA, which has provided funding for programs that address domestic violence since it was signed into law in 1994. Funds for VAWA expired in February after the law was left out of a spending bill meant to stave off a second federal government shutdown over President Trump’s border wall. The 2019 reauthorization includes funding for a gender-responsive, culturally relevant, and trauma-informed protocol for screening, assessment, and intervention with survivors of sexual assault; direction to the Bureau of Prisons that housing assignments for intersex and transgender people be determined on a case-by-case basis; and adds sexual orientation and gender identity to data collection instruments.

House Republicans Hide Behind ‘Lesbian Radical Feminist’

Fred Rogers Celebrated as ‘Bisexual Icon’

The sexual orientation of the beloved children’s TV icon has long been a topic of curiosity, acknowledged Rogers’ biographer Michael Long who wrote in a 2016 essay that, yes, the soft-spoken creator of “Mr. Rogers Neighborhood” wasn’t known for his machismo. “(Rogers) talked softly and carried no stick; his spirit was gentle and tender, patient and trustworthy, and receptive and loving,” Long wrote.

The acclaimed 2018 documentary on Rogers’ life and career, “Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” addressed the question of his sexuality head-on but came to no conclusions. The film played a clip of talk show host Tom Snyder asking Rogers if he was straight. The film doesn’t show Rogers’ answer, but it shares an interview with Francois Clemmons, the gay actor who played Officer Clemmons on “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood” for 25 years.  “First of all, no, he’s not gay,” said Clemmons. “I tell everyone who asks me, ‘No, he’s not gay.’ But I spent enough time with him that if there was a gay vibe I would have picked it up. Nope, not as far as I know.”

This week, LGBTQ Twitter users believed they uncovered evidence that Rogers saw himself as bisexual, according to Pride.com. The evidence comes in the form of an excerpt from a 2015 biography of Rogers that began to make its way around the internet.

Fred Rogers Celebrated as ‘Bisexual Icon’

Federal Judge Backs Trump’s Transgender Military Ban

A federal judge in Maryland cleared the way Thursday for the Trump administration to implement broad restrictions on transgender people serving in the military.  U.S. District Judge George Russell rescinded an earlier order that he had issued to bar the administration from putting its policy in place.  Russell’s order comes after the Supreme Court in January lifted similar injunctions in cases filed in California and Washington State, but the order issued in Maryland order remained until Thursday.

In a six-page ruling, Russell said he had to follow the Supreme Court’s lead and could not make exceptions for transgender individuals in the Maryland case seeking to enlist or become military officers. “The court is bound by the Supreme Court’s decision to stay the preliminary injunctions in their entirety,” Russell wrote.

The Defense Department said in a statement after the ruling that current policy allowing transgender troops to serve “will remain in effect until the Department issues further guidance, which will be forthcoming in the near future.”

Federal Judge Backs Trump’s Transgender Military Ban

Non-Binary Californian Turned Away From Donating Blood

Van Levy just wanted to give back. The 31-year-old San Diego resident has donated blood for the past 13 years. But when Levy inquired about donating at the San Diego Blood Bank, the response was discouraging.  “It was like this whole runaround on the phone,” Levy said.

Levy is among a growing number of Californians who have a gender marker “X” on their state IDs instead of the traditional “M” or “F” for male or female. Levy identifies as transgender and non-binary (neither exclusively male nor female) and does not use any pronouns — like he, him, she, her or they.

“They kept wanting me to just come in and see the paperwork and go from there," Levy said of the blood bank. Finally, their answer regarding Levy donating was a “no.”

“Being able to give back to my community, give back to humanity, is always something that's vital for me,” Levy told NBC News. “There shouldn't be any reason why I shouldn’t be able to be here more so than somebody else. I don't need blood, and they do.”

Non-Binary Californian Turned Away From Donating Blood

HRC To Honor Christina Aguilera

HRC announced the organization will honor six-time Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Christina Aguilera with the HRC Ally for Equality Award at the 2019 HRC Los Angeles Dinner. As previously announced, Yeardley Smith will also be honored with the HRC National Leadership Award. Set to take place on Saturday, March 30, 2019, at the JW Marriott L.A. LIVE, the event brings together more than 1,000 of HRC’s most active members and supporters in the greater Los Angeles area to raise crucial funds in the fight for LGBTQ equality.

“Christina Aguilera is a living legend and a true LGBTQ icon who consistently uses her global superstar platform to share a message of hope and inspiration to those who have been marginalized simply because of who they are,” said HRC President Chad Griffin. “Through her powerful music and her tireless efforts for positive change, she is making a real difference in the lives of countless people while bringing greater visibility to the LGBTQ community. HRC is proud to honor Christina Aguilera with the HRC Ally for Equality Award at the 2019 HRC Los Angeles Dinner.”

From helping raise funds in the fight against HIV/AIDS to advocating for marriage equality and speaking out against anti-LGBTQ bullying, Christina Aguilera has long been an outspoken advocate for fairness and equality. In 2017, Billboard said she had earned her status as an LGBTQ icon “for advocating for LGBTQ equality and representation over the course of her career.” Aguilera’s 2002 single “Beautiful” was hailed as one of the most empowering LGBTQ anthems of all time and brought greater visibility to the LGBTQ community through representation in its celebrated music video. In a 2017 special love letter to the LGBTQ community, Aguilera said, “The LGBTQ community has never had it easy, the struggles each one of you faces daily on an individual level and on a broader political and cultural level are unimaginable, yet you keep fighting, you keep moving forward trailblazing and beating all odds with love always in your hearts.”

HRC To Honor Christina Aguilera

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 09:20:55 PM »

Tuesday, March 19th, 2019

Ang Lee's "Gemini Man" to Be Shown at 120 FPS

Ang Lee hasn't given up on high-frame-rate cinema despite the expensive misfire that was Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk. The two-time Oscar winner is shooting his upcoming film, sci-fi assassin thriller Gemini Man, in 3D at 120 frames-per-second (fps) and 4K resolution. There's just one problem: theater chains may not be able to screen it in the format. To ensure it gets a wide release that matches Lee's intended vision, Paramount is writing to cinema owners with instructions on how to bring their projector equipment up to speed, reports The Playlist.

Paramount's letter includes directions on how to conduct a HFR test and describes the 120 fps-4K-3D combo as the "most pristine and immersive format" for showing the film. "We want to do everything possible to make projecting the high frame rate version of Gemini Man a turnkey experience for you and provide audiences with the latest technological advancement in cinema," the letter reads. A glance at Lee's IMDB page also shows that he's still attached to 3D boxing epic Thrilla in Manilla, named after the fight between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier.

Billy Lynn was the first film to be presented at 120 fps, meaning it had a higher frame rate than the 24 frames per second adopted by most movies. HFR advocates James Cameron (who's shooting the Avatar sequels in the format) and his long-time producer pal Jon Landau have been opining about its benefits since 2011. Critics, on the other hand, claim it results in hyper-real and unnatural visuals.

Ang Lee's "Gemini Man" to Be Shown at 120 FPS

Buttigieg Says Campaign Gained Enough Donors to be on Debate Stage

South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg (D) said Saturday that his campaign raised enough individual donors to guarantee a spot at the first Democratic Party debate of the 2020 cycle.  Buttigieg, who is exploring a White House bid but has not officially announced a campaign, announced Saturday that his team had received more than 76,000 individual donations, passing the 65,000 individual threshold set by the Democratic National Committee (DNC).

In a second tweet, Buttigieg called for more donations, telling supporters that he "needs to know we can build a strong organization, too," if he were to launch a presidential bid.  "Thanks to you, we hit the @TheDemocrats 65,000 donor goal in order to be invited to the first debate. But we are going to need to raise a lot more money to compete," Buttigieg wrote.

Buttigieg appeared at CNN town hall earlier this week and attacked Vice President Mike Pence, a fellow Indianan, for his continued support of President Trump despite the president's scandals involving Stormy Daniels, an adult film star who revealed that the Trump campaign paid her thousands of dollars to remain silent about claims of an affair with Trump.

Buttigieg Says Campaign Gained Enough Donors to be on Debate Stage

Lesbian Asylum-Seekers at the Mercy of German Bureaucracy

Diana Namusoke and Success Johnson fled violence and discrimination back home in Africa, only to be caught up in Germany's messy asylum system. Luisa Rollenhagen reports from Berlin. 

We're sitting in a small meeting room in a church in Kreuzberg, Berlin on a bitterly cold day in late January, and Namusoke keeps her coat and knit hat on, giving the impression that the small woman is sinking into her clothes, hiding further away from the world.  Opposite her sits Success Johnson, anxiously stirring a spoon in her cup of tea. Johnson sucks air through her teeth and shakes her head. "They don't care about others," she says.

Namusoke, 48, and Johnson, 27, are two lesbian women from Uganda and Nigeria respectively, who have come to Germany in search of asylum. They've explained — first to the police officers who picked them up, then to the aid workers at the refugee centers where they were transferred, and then at their asylum application interview at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) — that they feared for their lives in their home countries. That as a lesbian woman, nowhere was safe. And now they're in acute danger of being deported back to the places they have desperately been trying to escape.

Lesbian Asylum-Seekers at the Mercy of German Bureaucracy

Former Policemen Charged With Murdering Bisexual Rio Congresswoman

Brazilian authorities on Tuesday arrested two former policemen in connection with the murder of bisexual Rio de Janeiro councilwoman Marielle Franco.  Investigators say Ronnie Lessa and Élcio Vieira de Queiroz on March 14, 2018, shot Franco and her driver, Anderson Gomes, from their car. Lessa, a retired military policeman, allegedly fired 13 shots at the car in which Franco and Gomes were sitting, along with Fernanda Chaves, Franco’s former assistant who survived the shooting.

Police say De Queiroz, who is also a former military policeman, was driving the car.  There were indications that military militias in Rio were likely behind the killing of Franco, who was outspoken against their conduct in the city’s most dangerous neighborhoods. But her murder is far from being solved.

Far-right politicians in Brazil openly despised Franco because she was a human rights activist. It is also believed the former police officers who were arrested are not the ones who ordered her murder.  Investigators have concluded the crime was probably planned for three months, according to an Internet search history on Lessa’s computer. Investigators found saved searches about the gun used in the crime and also about places that Franco used to frequent.

Former Policemen Charged With Murdering Bisexual Rio Congresswoman

Pentagon Policy Bars Transgender Troops Using Hormone Therapy

A memorandum signed by the U.S. Department of Defense on Tuesday will effectively bar transgender service members who seek cross-sex hormone therapy or gender-confirming surgeries from military service, following a July announcement by President Donald Trump that has led to numerous legal challenges.  The policy, which takes effect April 12, has been criticized by endocrinologists, who have noted that gender-affirming treatments are medically necessary and do not result in a high cost burden for the military, as Trump has previously stated.

“It is surprising that the military ban on treating transgender service members is actually happening when medical treatment for transgender service members can be arranged easily for most in a way that will not interfere with them doing their job,” Joshua D. Safer, MD, endocrinology and medical director of the Center for Transgender Surgery and Medicine at Boston Medical Center, told Endocrine Today. “I worry that this will force some transgender service members to avoid treatment in order to keep their positions in the military. That will not be good for either the transgender service members themselves or our military.”

Pentagon Policy Bars Transgender Troops Using Hormone Therapy

Sam Smith Says He Is 'Nonbinary, Genderqueer,'

British musician Sam Smith said he identifies as nonbinary and genderqueer in a new interview with "The Good Place" actress and body image advocate Jameela Jamil.  When the Oscar- and Grammy-winning singer was 16 years old, he stopped wearing boy's clothes, he told Jamil on the first episode of her "I Weigh Interviews" series on Instagram. Smith, 26, would wear leggings and full makeup every day, saying he became a "gay clown" in the village he grew up in.

Smith's style evidently changed as his music career grew, though his feelings have since caught up with him.  "I've always had a bit of a war within my body and my mind... I do think like a woman sometimes in my head, and I've sometimes sat down and questioned, 'Do I want a sex change?' And it's something that I still think about," he said.  But Smith said that's unlikely. When he saw the words nonbinary and genderqueer, and heard people speak about it, he had a revelation: "(Expletive), that is me."

To Smith, being nonbinary and genderqueer means that you do not identify with a single gender. He says gender is on a spectrum, as is sexuality. "You fall in love with people, not genitals," he said.

Sam Smith Says He Is 'Nonbinary, Genderqueer,'

British Olympian With Gay Dad Retires to Become An Ally to LGBTQ Athletes

British Olympic champion Callum Skinner is hitting the brakes on his elite track cycling career to focus on making sports a more inclusive place for LGBTQ athletes and their families.  Skinner, who was part of the track team that took home the gold medal at Rio in 2016, had not competed since the Commonwealth Games in Australia last year. He’s been on an extended break from racing due to health issues, according to Cyclist, and announced his retirement Thursday on his website.

“Today, I would like to announce I am calling time on my Elite Cycling career. It’s been a long and amazing journey, starting out in the cold of Meadowbank, Edinburgh in 2006 to peaking at the Olympic Velodrome in the Team Sprint at the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games in 2016. Cycling has been very good to me, I’ve made lifelong friends and realised my dream for which I am eternally privileged. I appreciate that 26 might seem to many quite young to be transitioning away from the track, but I have never considered myself just an athlete; I consider myself far more than that.”

Skinner is indeed more, as Skysports reported in November 2017: he is the proud son of an out gay man, who felt it best to hide his orientation and his marriage to another man from the world to protect his son.

British Olympian With Gay Dad Retires to Become An Ally to LGBTQ Athletes

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »

Tuesday, March 26th, 2019

How I Taught David Harbour Something About Hellboy

Spencer Perry:  As some may know, I am a big Hellboy fan – to the point that David Harbour (Stranger Things, Brokeback Mountain) previously agreed to officiate my wedding in the full make-up (before his schedule made it impossible). In November of 2017, when Harbour was still filming the movie, myself and a group of journalists flew to Bulgaria to see the set and interview the cast. While there, I managed to do something that I didn’t set out to do, I taught the star of the movie something about the character he was playing; at least something from the comics.

One thing became obvious while watching David Harbour on set all day and in our talks about the film: He is STOKED to be playing Hellboy. Harbour has thought a lot about what it means to be playing the character in a new movie, both how it relates to the Guillermo Del Toro movies starring Ron Perlman and how it relates to the source material. He did his homework, and he knows what he’s doing.

While speaking with him in our set interview, the subject turned to his meetings with creator Mike Mignola, whom he said he talked and texted with frequently in order to learn specific details about the character. Harbour revealed having pored over the comics, even creating a binder of images of Hellboy with different gestures he does, how he carries his body, ways that he holds his jaw, etc, so that he would have a framework for his own movements and gestures on the set. Some questions though, went unanswered.

How I Taught David Harbour Something About Hellboy

LGBTQ United Methodist Leaders Gutted by Church's Anti-Gay Decision

When the Rev. Mark Thompson resolved to come out of the closet more than a decade ago, he was 50 years old.  Thompson was a pastor of a United Methodist Church in Lansing, Michigan, with a wife and three adult children. But he had reached a spiritual impasse in which he could no longer deny his true identity. The year was 2008.

He said some church leaders were supportive of his coming out as gay, while others encouraged him to remain in the closet. In order to continue his ministry, he took a vow of celibacy to operate within the limitations of acceptable behavior dictated by the United Methodist Church’s Book of Discipline. After he retires in 2020, Thompson said he hopes to eventually marry a man with whom he can share his passions, love and interests for the remainder of his life.  “I’ve realized that I am the type of person that needs to be in a loving relationship with a partner or husband,” Thompson, now 61, told NBC News. “I long for the time when that will become reality for me. The loneliness of each day and night is continuing to bring death to my spirit; I remain single so that I can continue to work within the UMC to bring about change.”

Thompson is just one individual within an expansive, diverse group of LGBTQ United Methodist Church leaders who have made enormous personal sacrifices for their faith. He, and countless others, had previously hoped that a vote during a special session of the UMC’s general conference last month would change the course of the church’s relationship with lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer people.

LGBTQ United Methodist Leaders Gutted by Church's Anti-Gay Decision

Mel Reid’s New Life as an Out Lesbian

After coming out in December 2018, British golfer Mel Reid left her native England for the sunny straightaways of the Sunshine State. And she told the LPGA’s Amy Rogers she moved to Florida not only to focus on her LPGA career, but also to give back to the LGBTQ community in ways a previous generation couldn’t.

“The reason I did it was I feel like I’m on a platform where I can have some sort of influence and I have a voice,” Reid told Rogers in the video. “This is my way of giving back.”

For an article appearing on the website of the LPGA, the legendary golf journalist Ron Sirak contrasted the lessons Reid is learning, with that of a golf icon who came out 15 years ago under much different circumstances. And Reid said she is very much aware of how much has changed, as well as how much still needs to change.

“It’s a serious subject,” Reid said. “People kill themselves over it. I just wanted to say, ‘Look, this is who I am. I’m very proud of who I am.’ I feel like it’s 2019 and it should be normalized. It doesn’t make me a bad person just because of the gender of who I love.”

Mel Reid’s New Life as an Out Lesbian

Tips for Doctors to Better Treat Bisexual Patients

As we mark Bisexual Health Awareness Month, it is important to shine a light on issues unique to the bisexual community when it comes to seeking health care. Research has shown that bisexual, pansexual, queer and sexually fluid people experience significant anxiety around coming out to their health care providers.

While research indicates that as many as half of the LGBTQ population identify as bisexual, bisexual people are significantly less likely than lesbian and gay people to disclose their sexual orientation to a doctor.

Bisexual erasure and negative stereotypes contribute to the discomfort and lack of trust many bisexual people feel about coming out to their health care providers, leaving them at risk of not being able to access appropriate and competent care. Many bisexual people report feeling that parts of their identity are ignored by their doctors.

Further, according to multiple studies, many medical students receive inadequate education on LGBTQ-specific health concerns. A 2011 study found that the median amount of time spent on LGBTQ-specific training was just five hours. This significant training deficit impacts the physical and mental health of LGBTQ people who may face embarrassment or discrimination at the doctor’s office or miss out on important health information.

Tips for Doctors to Better Treat Bisexual Patients

Hiding Their Gender Identity

In the pictures, Jess Enriquez Taylor wears artful makeup and her hair is carefully styled. But her face was bare as she rode the bus toward the international border one recent afternoon, and her long black hair was tucked under a hat.  One of her hands was painted with glittering nail polish, but she kept it folded and out of sight. She used the hand with no polish to point to the images on her cellphone.

“This is me, this is who I really am. When I get out of here, I transform,” she said of the photos, taken on the other side of the border, in the United States.  Crossing between Mexico and the U.S. is an everyday practice for people living in the border towns of the Southwest. But for transgender women like Taylor, who is Mexican but grew up in the U.S., crossing between countries also requires her to move uncomfortably between genders.

Taylor, 39, cannot afford an apartment in California, but her family and neighbors in Mexicali demand that she live essentially as a man. She has not told her family she is preparing to undergo hormone replacement therapy, and going home to her brother’s house means wiping her face clean of cosmetics, changing her hair and, when outsiders are present, avoiding the feminine adjectives that women use in Spanish. Her family in Mexico makes her use separate dishes for fear she carries sexually transmitted diseases, a common and bigoted misconception about lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.

Hiding Their Gender Identity

U.N. Condemns Making Women Athletes Cut Testosterone in Intersex Row

Forcing female athletes to regulate testosterone could breach international human rights rules, according to the United Nation’s top human rights group in a rare foray into sports amid an escalating row over intersex and transgender competitors.  The move came as the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) delayed judgment until April on athlete Caster Semenya’s appeal hearing against the International Association of Athletics Federations’ (IAAF) rules on testosterone suppression.

South African 800-metres double Olympic champion Semenya is seeking to overturn a set of IAAF regulations that aim to lower the testosterone levels of intersex athletes.  Semenya was born with the intersex condition hyproandrogenism, which leads to higher amounts of testosterone. Some rivals say this gives her a competitive advantage.  The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHCR) passed a South African-led resolution on eliminating discrimination against women and girls in sport that criticized the IAAF.

U.N. Condemns Making Women Athletes Cut Testosterone in Intersex Row

How to Be A Better LGBT+ Ally

gal-dem founder Liv Little is working together with Stonewall and Absolut Vodka to spread awareness on how to be a better LGBT+ ally.  The Absolut “A Drop of Love” campaign, taking place over LGBT History Month in February, provides an online guide that will encourage people to pledge their allegiance to equality in return for advice on how to be a better LGBT+ ally.

The campaign also sees the participation of other members of the LGBT+ community—including Pxssy Palace co-founder Nadine Artois, writer Shon Faye, voguer Jay Jay Revlon, UK Black Pride youth engagement officer Tanya Compas, and Bitch, Please!

Little, who founded the online and print magazine Gal-Dem, written by women of colour and non binary people of colour in 2015 as a response to a lack of diversity in the media, has a few ideas on how to address the issue.  “The fundamental thing is how you can talk about representation so that it’s not just a one off, but a holistic commitment,” she tells PinkNews, adding: “Give a platform to people to tell their stories.”

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »

Tuesday, April 2nd, 2019

"10 Things" Turned Heath Ledger Into A Reluctant Star

"I am the worst auditioner in the world,” Heath Ledger once said. “I really am f**king s**t.” But when he walked into the audition room for 10 Things I Hate About You, he was all but hired before he’d even opened his mouth.

Back then, Ledger was an unknown, 20-year-old Australian who’d never been in an American film before. But his star power was obvious. “Heath walked in,” director Gil Junger recently told The New York Times, “and I thought to myself, ‘If this guy can read, I’m going to cast him.’ There was an energy to him, a sexuality that was palpable.” Ledger could do more than just read: he nailed the character’s playful, wacky insouciance in the space of just a few minutes. He was convinced he had blown it, but he hadn’t: the resulting film went down in romcom history, and Ledger’s performance made him a star.

Ledger plays Patrick Verona, a handsome weirdo who may or may not have “sold his own liver on the black market for a new set of speakers”. The film, which came out 20 years ago today, is loosely based on Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew. Cameron (Joseph Gordon-Levitt, in one of his earliest roles) has a crush on Bianca (Larisa Oleynik), whose strict father won’t allow her to date until her older sister Kat (Julia Stiles) does. Enter Patrick, recruited by Cameron to try and woo the stern, study-focused Kat, whose interests include “Thai food, feminist prose and angry girl music of the indie rock persuasion”. Of course, he ends up falling for her.

"10 Things" Turned Heath Ledger Into A Reluctant Star

Mayor Pete Buttigieg on Growing Up Gay

Earlier today, we told you about presidential hopeful Pete Buttigieg’s appearance in front of a sold-out crowd at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco, Thursday night. He took the chance to share his plans to bring the rigor of running a small rust-belt town (South Bend, Indiana) to the White House. But there were many more moments from this wide-ranging hour-long chat with Mother Jones Editor-in-Chief Clara Jeffery that we think are worth highlighting. Here are five clips, including a candid back-and-forth about the challenges of coming out while in office, and what it really takes to beat Trump.

Growing up gay in Indiana - “You think there’s something wrong with you,” Buttigieg says of being in the closet in high school. The 37-year-old mayor stands out for being the first openly gay man to run for president from a major party—his husband is a fun Twitter follow. He spoke in personal detail about growing up gay in rural Indiana, hiding his sexuality while he served in the military, and finding love as an adult.

Mayor Pete Buttigieg on Growing Up Gay

Number of Lesbian Mayors Across America Could Triple by June

Four lesbian mayoral candidates are poised to make history this year, potentially tripling the number of out lesbians ever elected to lead a top 100 city, and bringing the total number of out LGBTQ mayors to 42.  On April 2, Lori Lightfoot will be in a runoff election to become the next mayor of Chicago. Satya Rhodes-Conway will be in a runoff election for the mayoralty of Madison, Wis. And Jolie Justus, currently the frontrunner in the race for Kansas City mayor, will compete in a primary to determine candidates for the general election. Later this month, Jane Castor will compete in a runoff to determine the next mayor of Tampa, Fla.

Victories by all four women would bring the number of out lesbians ever elected to lead a top 100 city from two — currently-serving Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan and Annise Parker, the CEO of the LGBTQ Victory Fund and the former three-term mayor of Houston — to six. It would also nearly double the number of out LGBTQ people to have ever been elected mayor of a top 100 city, from six to 10.

All four candidates would mark other historical “firsts,” with Lightfoot serving as Chicago’s first female African-American mayor, and the only black lesbian mayor serving anywhere in the country. Rhodes-Conway would become Madison’s first openly LGBTQ person elected mayor, Justus would become the first openly LGBTQ big city mayor in the Heartland, and Castor the first openly LGBTQ big city mayor in the Southeast.

Number of Lesbian Mayors Across America Could Triple by June

Bisexual Youth, Bullying, and Suicide

Often overlooked in both straight and gay circles, bisexual-identified people nevertheless make up a significant part of the population. The 2015-2017 Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that 7% of youth identify as bisexual, compared to 4% being unsure or questioning, and just 2% identifying as gay or lesbian.

For Bisexual Health Awareness Month, the Trevor Project has released a new look at the YRBS data from the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), highlighting the suicide risks prevalent amongst bisexual youth.  Their findings are alarming: almost half of bisexual youth considered suicide as an option within the past 12 months, with 40% making an actual plan to take their life. 27% attempted suicide.

“Bisexual youth represent the largest proportion of LGBTQ high school students, and The Trevor Project’s analysis of the CDC’s YRBS data indicate that they are more likely to experience victimization, depressed mood, and suicide attempts than their straight, lesbian, and gay peers,” said the Director of Research for the Trevor Project, Amy Green.

Bisexual Youth, Bullying, and Suicide

House Passes Resolution Denouncing Transgender Military Ban

In a rebuke to President Donald Trump, the House on Thursday voted against his administration's move to restrict transgender men and women from military service.  The nonbinding resolution passed 238-185, with every Democrat supporting it and almost every Republican voting against it.

The Trump administration's policy bars people who have undergone gender transition from enlisting. It also requires military personnel to serve as their biological gender unless they began a gender transition under less restrictive Obama administration rules.  The policy is being challenged in court.

“It’s a welcoming reassurance that the elected leaders in the U.S. House support the more than 13,000 brave transgender service members who proudly dedicate their lives to our nation,” said Sarah Kate Ellis, president and CEO of GLAAD, an LGBTQ advocacy organization. “It's time for President Trump to drop his proposed ban and stand with transgender patriots putting their lives on the line to keep us all safe.”

House Passes Resolution Denouncing Transgender Military Ban

Game of Thrones' Sophie Turner: 'I love a soul, not a gender'

Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner says she falls in love with people because of their "soul" not their "gender".  The 23-year-old, who is engaged to singer Joe Jonas, says she never expected to settle down so young but "once you've found the right person you just know""I've met enough guys to know - I've met enough girls to know," she told Rolling Stone magazine.

When asked about the girls part she added: "Everyone experiments."

Sophie, who plays Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones, hasn't stated how she identifies - but her comments suggest she may be pansexual.  Pansexual people are attracted to someone for their personality - regardless of their gender.  Miley Cyrus and Panic! At The Disco frontman Brendon Urie both identify as pansexual.  People are more willing to talk about it.

Game of Thrones' Sophie Turner: 'I love a soul, not a gender'

Beyonce, Jay-Z at GLAAD Awards

Beyoncé and Jay-Z accepted the Vanguard Award from GLAAD on Thursday night, at the advocacy group’s 30th annual Media Awards, held at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles, California.  Approaching the stage to the couple’s 2003 hit “Crazy in Love,” the duo gave short, but heartfelt, speeches. Jay-Z spoke for less than two minutes, saying, “This journey is filled with highs, lows and a lot of learning.” He used his time to honor his mother Gloria Carter, a lesbian whose story was shared on Jay-Z’s “Smile,” and who received a Special Recognition at last year’s awards ceremony in New York.

Beyoncé said she was overwhelmed. “I would say that one of the most beautiful memories of my tour was looking out from the stage every night and seeing the hardest gangsta trappin’ right next to the most fabulous queen,” she said. “Respecting and celebrating each other.”  Someone from the audience shouted “That’s how we do!” – a sentiment Beyoncé then echoed back.

She dedicated the award to her uncle Johnny, who she called “the most fabulous gay man I’ve ever met.” “He lived his truth, he was brave and unapologetic during a time when this country wasn’t as accepting. And witnessing his battle with HIV was one of the most painful experiences I’ve ever lived,” she said, her voice choking up.

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 08:40:36 PM »

Tuesday, April 9th, 2019

Remembering BayCityJohn

It is with great sadness that I'm writing this post, to talk about the passing of John Trudell, better known on the Ultimate Brokeback Forum as BayCityJohn.  BayCityJohn was one of the early members to the forum, and he quickly joined the team here as a tech specialist, volunteering his time to assist the forum with upgrades, updates, and general forum maintenance.

He attended many of the Brokie gatherings over the years.  His first was the BBM Backyard BBQ in Texas, and he hosted the gathering in Bay City, Michigan, which was held on the weekend of the Academy Awards, and was considered our own protest of Brokeback Mountain's Best Picture loss to Crash.   Bay City John was also part of the Ultimate Brokeback Forum Band, which performed before our private viewing of our movie.

BayCityJohn won Heath Ledger's shirt in an online auction, and he wore it to several of the gatherings.  He was wearing it when he met Oscar-winnging Brokeback screenwriter Diana Ossana.  Later on, John and Diana became friends, often posting on each other's Facebook pages, and he even organized a lunch for some Brokies, which was attended by Diana and her fellow screenwriter, Larry McMurtry.

BayCityJohn was featured author in the book "Beyond Brokeback, the Impact of A Film", and he took part in the two ads that were placed in Variety magazine, one to thank everyone involved with Brokeback, and one to remember Heath Ledger. 

John, we can't thank you enough for all you've done for the forum, and all of us, for the past 14 years.  You will be missed, and you are loved.

Please feel free to share feelings, and memories about John in one (or both) of the following threads.

Remembering BayCityJohn

Mourning Someone Who Has Died

Ang Lee Urges Filmmakers to Explore Advances in Cinema

The Oscar-winning director was named as a consultant to a few alliance of cinema companies developing an advanced production and theatrical presentation system that includes high frame rates and immersive sound.  Saying that “we have a lot to learn” about the potential to advance cinema production and theatrical presentation in the digital age, Oscar-winning filmmaker Ang Lee urged filmmakers to join him in exploring the potential of the medium on Wednesday night at CinemaCon.

The director of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Life of Pi was named as a consultant to a new alliance of companies developing an advanced production and theatrical exhibition system. China's Huaxia Film Distribution, projector maker Christie and cinema tech firm GDC signed a deal at CinemaCon, aimed at developing a cinema system with the ability to play 120fps (frames per second) per eye, along with 4K, 3D, high dynamic range (HDR), a wide color gamut (WCG) and immersive sound — the format that Lee used to make his 2016 experimental film Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, though at the time only a handful of cinemas were equipped to present it in this format.

Ang Lee Urges Filmmakers to Explore Advances in Cinema

Stonewall at 50

The Stonewall riots started in the early hours of 28 June 1969 during a police raid at the Stonewall Inn, Greenwich Village, a favourite haunt of gay and lesbian New Yorkers. As customers were hauled out in handcuffs, the crowd outside erupted into fury. That night’s rioting was followed by days of further violent demonstrations in the neighbourhood. It would change LGBT activism for ever. The riots switched protest up a gear and pushed for an unapologetic, inclusive, enlightened culture in which gay pride would see off shame for good.

Fifty years later, Stonewall is one of the most significant global landmarks in the fight for gay rights (the gay rights campaign group in the UK is named after it). In June, the movement’s 50th anniversary will be celebrated in New York with a month of partying, lectures and readings and “the biggest Pride celebration in the world”. A key part of the festivities will be the New York Public Library’s exhibition and its tremendous accompanying book: Love and Resistance, Stonewall at 50. The book is edited by Jason Baumann, coordinator of the library’s LGBT initiative, and features photographs by Kay Tobin Lahusen and Diana Davies, an archive that Baumann describes as the “great queer treasures of the New York Public library”.

Stonewall at 50

Lori Lightfoot Elected Chicago Mayor

Former federal prosecutor Lori Lightfoot defeated Toni Preckwinkle in a runoff for Chicago mayor Tuesday. She will be the first openly gay person and first black woman to lead the city.  The Associated Press called the race for Lightfoot shortly before 8 p.m. local time.  With over 91 percent of precincts in, Lightfoot led Preckwinkle 73.7 percent to 26.3 percent, according to the Chicago board of elections website.

Lightfoot pumped her fist in the air and the crowd cheered when she said, “Thank you Chicago!  In this election Toni and I were competitors, but our differences are nothing compared to what we can achieve together,” Lightfoot said. “Now that it’s over, I know we will work together for the city that we both love.  "Today, you did more than make history," Lightfoot said. "You created a movement for change."

Lightfoot, 56, who was an assistant U.S. attorney before she entered private practice, has never held elective office before.  The runoff election was bound to be historic, as either of the two candidates was going to be Chicago’s first black female mayor. The city is around 33 percent black, according to 2010 Census data.

Lori Lightfoot Elected Chicago Mayor

As A Bisexual, My Sexuality Was Often Erased

I came out as bisexual in 2004. At the time, it was the only way to explain my sexual attraction to people regardless of their gender, rather than specifically men or women. Then and today, bisexuals are often exposed to stigma from both the majority population, for not being heterosexual, and by the gay and lesbian communities for not having exclusive same-gender relationships and attractions.

Negative myths about bisexuals persist, such as the assumption that bisexuals are promiscuous, in the closet, or are unable to commit within a relationship. These biases have a damaging effect on the mental health of bisexuals, especially young people who are just beginning to form their identity and sense of self-worth.

According to a 2013 survey by the Pew Research Center, bisexuals make up  the largest share of LGBT Americans.  Among Americans ages 18–44, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports, 5.5% of women and 2% of men  self-identify as bisexual.

As A Bisexual, My Sexuality Was Often Erased

New Book Created by Kiwis With Transgender Lead Character

A new book with a LGBT theme is being hailed a success by Hollywood celebrity George Takei.

A group of Wellington writers is once again breaking the mold, producing a book called Raven Wild – the lead character of which is transgender.  In the book, a reckless young boy named Hawk transitions into a courageous young woman named Raven.  A top Hollywood executive from Marvel has recently said the world is ready for a gay superhero.

George Takei of Star Trek fame posted his support of the book to his 10 million Facebook followers.

"It’s amazing when your LGBT heroes and icons actually approve of what you do and support you it's a great feeling," says co-author Chaz Harris. "I think we all feel proud, we grew up without any stories like this, and we know the impact of not seeing yourselves represented in media, so we're really just fixing the problem we had as kids and hoping future generations don’t go without that," he says.

New Book Created by Kiwis With Transgender Lead Character

New Smithsonian Channel Documentary Proves American War Hero is Intersex

For those who aren’t history buffs, the name of the Polish General Casimir Pulaski likely doesn’t ring any bells, but without his contributions during the American Revolutionary War, there’s a high chance George Washington would never have lived to serve as president. For almost 200 years after his death, the remains of the father of the American cavalry, as Pulaski was known, sat undisturbed in a Savannah, Georgia, monument until some structural damage caused them to be disinterred. At first glance, the pelvis found among the war hero’s remains was observed to be buried by mistake; it was female. That theory held until researchers came to the conclusion that there was another option: Pulaski was intersex.

A discovery that took years of research to confirm, the Smithsonian Channel’s show “America’s Hidden Stories” will shed new light on Pulaski’s life and follow the scientists who made the breakthrough. The episode titled “The General Was Female?” will air April 8 at 8 p.m. and features insight from intersex activist and author of “Born Both: An Intersex Life” Hida Viloria. BTL spoke with Viloria in advance of the episode’s release to get he/r thoughts on intersex historical figures and the benefits of thinking outside the gender binary and the implications of discovering an intersex war hero in today’s political climate.

New Smithsonian Channel Documentary Proves American War Hero is Intersex

Detroit Pistons Pride Night

More than 300 members of the LGBTQ community and its allies cheered on the Detroit Pistons as they defeated the Orlando Magic, 115-98, during Pride Night on Thursday, March 28, at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit.  The event, hosted by the Detroit Regional LGBT Chamber Of Commerce in partnership with the Detroit Pistons organization, has grown in popularity since it began in 2015.

“There has been a lot of blood, sweat and tears for us to be able to be incorporated inside of a sports arena, which is still to this day pretty much homophobic,” said Kevin Terrell Heard, the founding board member and board president of the DRLGBTCC, which continues to be a leading force in building employment, networking and substantial business growth opportunities within Detroit’s LGBTQ community.

“But the Pistons have opened up their hearts, they had an ally on their team [Reggie Bullock], they still have allies on their team for the LGBTQ community, and we’re so excited that one of the four pillars this year that the sales team and the Detroit Pistons organization wanted to do was support equality, and that means equality for everyone, especially LGBTQ people in our community. They have been such a great partner to work with,” Heard said.

Detroit Pistons Pride Night

Your Laugh For The Day!

Contributors: brian, KillersMom, CellarDweller115

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 04:22:53 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »

Tuesday, April 16th, 2019

New Film From Brokeback Mountain Writers

Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry, the writers behind Ang Lee’s Brokeback Mountain (a recent addition to the National Film Registry), are reuniting for a new film called Good Joe Bell starring Mark Wahlberg, Connie Britton, and Reid Miller from the Go90 streaming series Play By Play (remember Go90?). The movie is based on a true story, and as explained in a press release, it’s about a guy named Joe Bell who “sets out on a walk across America with his son, Jadin.” That’s not helpful at all, but perhaps the press release decided to stay vague because the real story of Joe Bell and his son Jadin is brutal.

We won’t spoil it here, because it’s all too sad to go into, but it’s safe to say that Good Joe Bell is going to be just as much about issues facing LGBTQ youth, teen suicide, and reckless driving as much as it’ll be about a cross-country walk.

New Film From Brokeback Mountain Writers

Protesters Ride Cincinnati Cyclones Zamboni

A public protest took place at the center of the Cincinnati Cyclones' game Saturday night at U.S. Bank Arena where people held "Chick-fil-A is ANTI-GAY" signs.  The hockey team, in the midst of a playoff series, has threatened seven people with criminal trespassing if they ever return, spokesman Everett Fitzhugh said Sunday. Signs will be banned on the "Fan Zam" Zamboni from now on, too, Fitzhugh said.

"Moving forward, we have adopted a 'no signage' policy on the Fan Zam, and we will be monitoring all riders to make sure something like this doesn't happen again," he said.

The Cyclones were hosting the Kalamazoo Wings in Game 2 of the first round of the ECHL's Kelly Cup Playoffs. The Cyclones, tied with one win apiece with the Wings in the best of 7 matchup, will have to win in Kalamazoo, Michigan to bring the playoffs back to Cincinnati. Game 6 against Kalamazoo, if needed, will be at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23 at U.S. Bank Arena.

People snuck the signs aboard the "Fan Zam" Zamboni during the game's first intermission, according to the Cyclones' Twitter account.  The "Fan Zam," labeled for sponsor Chick-fil-A, carts people around the rink.  The signs were hidden inside a birthday sign, according to the Twitter post. The people, who are seen on Reddit riding with the signs in the "Fan Zam" with Chick-fil-A's cow mascot, were tossed by the Cyclones from the game.

Protesters Ride Cincinnati Cyclones Zamboni

“Queer Eye” Fans Raise $100,000 to Send Disowned Lesbian to College

Some chosen families stretch all across the world.  On the third season of Netflix’s Emmy-winning Queer Eye reboot, Jess Guilbeaux warmed our hearts like ramen broth in episode 5, “Black Girl Magic,” as the Fab Five’s first lesbian makeover. How magical that many more strangers chipped in to help make her dreams come true.

“This week has been the best week of my life,” the post-makeover Kansas waitress told her queer friends and newly reunited sister in the episode. “I feel like that strong beautiful, black, lesbian, eclectic, artistic person all of you have seen me as.”

Guilbeaux, 23, was disowned by her adoptive parents after coming out at 16, forcing her to become financially independent ever since. Although she began studying at the University of Kansas as a Computer Science major, she had to drop out due to debt.  A GoFundMe page was launched to help Guilbeaux get her college degree. “Let’s send this smart and strong woman back to college to complete what she began and give her the future she deserves,” reads the crowdfunding campaign description.

“Queer Eye” Fans Raise $100,000 to Send Disowned Lesbian to College

Seven Things Gay and Lesbian People Should Stop Telling Bisexuals

Bisexuals are continuously exposed to insensitive, stupid questions from both straight and gay people.  For many non-bisexual people, the lines of such a sexual orientation are simply too blurred to be taken seriously.  Whatever implies a similar level of uncertainty – for others, not for bi+ people themselves – is often frowned upon and dismissed as temporary.

What hurts the most is that some of the most biphobic comments and questions come from those who should be on the side of bi people.  Bisexuals shouldn’t provide any explanations for being who they are, let alone to gay and lesbian friends who know the struggles of coming out too well to show no sympathy.  While bisexuals can count on many allies, certain gay and lesbian people seem to think of themselves as gatekeepers. Their sole job is to determine whether someone is ‘gay enough’ to be part of the community.

It all starts with a seemingly innocent question that then leads to another. And that’s when suddenly the conversation turns into the Voight-Kampff test from Blade Runner.

Seven Things Gay and Lesbian People Should Stop Telling Bisexuals

Transgender Woman Assaulted By 'Mob' in Dallas, Officials Say

A transgender woman in Texas was assaulted on Friday in what authorities called an apparent “act of mob violence” and a possible hate crime.  Relatives of the victim, who authorities have not identified, told NBC Dallas-Fort Worth that she was kicked and beaten to the point of unconsciousness.  The Dallas Police Department said in a statement that the assault occurred late Friday night after a minor traffic accident at an apartment complex south of downtown Dallas.

“The guy just got out and started stomping on her and kicking her and fighting her,” the woman’s grandmother, Debora Booker, told the station. “I was like, ‘Over a car?’”  Clips of the video published by NBC Dallas-Fort Worth showed a group of people carrying someone.  The victim told officers that her assailants, who were not identified, used homophobic slurs, the department said.  The department was examining evidence to determine if a hate crime occurred, the statement added.

Transgender Woman Assaulted By 'Mob' in Dallas, Officials Say

Asexuality Is a Sexual Orientation, Not A Disorder

In our ever-expanding vocabulary to describe a person’s sexual orientation, asexuality is one of the more difficult terms to define. This is because asexuality encompasses a spectrum, which very much depends on the personal preference of an individual. But a loose definition of an asexual person (or ‘ace’ for short) is someone who does not experience sexual attraction.

There are several caveats to this: ace people may still engage in sex, may still get sexually aroused, may still masturbate, and may be in happy, healthy relationships. All it really means is that the person doesn’t experience the same drive or inclination to have sex that other people might. Unlike celibacy, where someone chooses not to act on their sexual desire, asexuality is not a decision, but simply another aspect of a person’s identity, just like being gay, bi, queer, or pansexual. People may realize they’re ace in the same way they discover anything else about their sexual orientation, and this might evolve over time, just as it does with other queer folks.

One of the most common assumptions about ace people is that they’re frigid, don’t desire intimacy with people, and won’t ever date, fall in love, or get married. But that conflates romantic attraction with sexual attraction — two very different things. Asexuality does not preclude romantic relationships or feelings towards someone. Many ace people experience romantic attraction and vary in how they choose to fulfill those needs. The distinction between sexual and romantic orientations has given rise to a number of helpful terms that specify both the spectrum of sexual desire that a person might experience, and other aspects of their sexual identity.

Asexuality Is a Sexual Orientation, Not A Disorder

Taylor Swift Just Donated $113,000 To An Organisation That Fights Anti-LGBT Laws

Taylor Swift has donated $113,000 to the Tennessee Equality Project, a nonprofit organisation that actively fights anti-LGBT legislation in the state of Tennessee.  In case you're curious about the very specific sum, 13 is Taylor's lucky number.  The group's leader, Chris Sanders, shared the news on Facebook on Monday alongside a photo of a handwritten note from Taylor explaining why she decided to make the donation.

"Taylor Swift has been a long-time ally to the LGBTQ community," he wrote in the post. "She sees our struggle in Tennessee and continues to add her voice with so many good people, including religious leaders, who are speaking out for love in the face of fear."

In October last year, Taylor cited the importance of LGBT rights as one of her reasons for endorsing Democratic candidate Phil Bredesen for Senate.  "I always have and always will cast my vote based on which candidate will protect and fight for the human rights I believe we all deserve in this country. I believe in the fight for LGBTQ rights, and that any form of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender is WRONG," she wrote on Instagram at the time.

Taylor Swift Just Donated $113,000 To An Organisation That Fights Anti-LGBT Laws

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:23:54 PM by CellarDweller115 »
Call Me By Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »

Tuesday, April 23rd, 2019

Linda Cardellini Scares Up Very Different Role With 'La Llorona'

It’s taken Linda Cardellini about 25 years, but she finally has returned to the genre that helped launch her professional acting career. The initial starring role on television for the star of “The Curse of La Llorona” was in the series “Bone Chillers.” There’s no way the projects could be more different, as the TV show dealt with high school students battling a wide array of monsters, and her new feature film is based on a well-known Latin American legend.

The reason for jumping back into horror has to do with a trend that emerged in her recent acting roles. In the films “Green Book,” “Daddy’s Home 2,” “The Founder” and even the action-packed “Avengers: Age of Ultron,” Cardellini was cast to play a wife. She quickly stresses they were all lovely roles, but she wanted a change.

“What was great about being cast in ‘La Llorona’ was to get a role where I could stand on my own,” Cardellini said. “I would be lying if I didn’t say there was a small part of me that was excited that she was a widow."

“The Curse of La Llorona” unfolds in 1973 Los Angeles, where social worker Anna Tate-Garcia (Cardellini) is dealing with a mother (Patricia Velasquez) who has turned her home into a fortress, including locking her sons in a closet. The social worker sees the mother’s actions as a form of abuse, but the real reason for the woman’s effort is to keep La Llorona (the weeping  woman) from taking her children.

Linda Cardellini Scares Up Very Different Role With 'La Llorona'

Gay Liberation Behind the Iron Curtain

Soldiers, the directive read, should strive to “deconstruct traditional moral prejudices against homosexuality.” These words come from neither some long-suppressed Obama-era executive order nor the fantasies of a gay rights group. They constituted one of five “tenets” that communist East Germany’s military adopted in September 1988, around a year before the Berlin Wall was toppled.

The order made East Germany one of the first countries to allow gay men into its military, an achievement that the United States took twenty-three years to match. And if that were not striking enough, the policy was part of a larger suite of pro-gay reforms that the East German dictatorship promulgated between 1985 and 1989.

The rhetoric of the modern LGBTQ movement has tended to assume that gay rights are a natural extension of the promise of democracy. Their spread has become an integral part of the narrative of democracy’s progress, of “the shifting downwards and outwards of political power to the people,” to quote a character in Tony Kushner’s Pulitzer-winning play Angels in America (1991). In his second inaugural address, Barack Obama cited the U.S. gay rights movement, alongside women’s suffrage and the civil rights movement, as pivotal moments in our democracy’s story, of its promise “that the most evident of truths—that all of us are created equal—is the star that guides us still.”

Gay Liberation Behind the Iron Curtain

Lesbians Overcome Far-Right Protestors at Kiev Conference

An international lesbian conference in Ukraine’s capital city of Kiev April 12-14 was met with a barrage of religious and far-right protestors who held up homophobic signs, tried blocking the venue’s entrance, and even launched tear gas canisters.  The event, however, went on as planned.

The European Lesbian Conference (ELC) draws hundreds of women from around the world to focus on global issues facing lesbians and the broader LGBTQ community. The first such conference took place in 2017 in Vienna.  The anti-LGBTQ protestors were most disruptive on the ELC’s first day. As they unsuccessfully tried to block the event from taking place, some waved signs saying, “Homosexual­ity is a disease” and “Go back to Hell, sodomites.”   Oksana Pokalchuk, who serves as the director of Amnesty Ukraine, tweeted a video she recorded of dozens of protestors outside of the venue. One small sign seen in the video was a crossed-out Rainbow Flag.

During the ELC’s second and third days, the protestors settled down with most of them peacefully assembled outside of the conference. The protesters’ anger could not compete with the upbeat mood inside the venue, where posts on the ELC’s Twitter page reflected a successful — and historic — gathering of LGBTQ folks in a region better known for its intolerance than acceptance, even with slightly more progressive attitudes in major cities like Kiev.

Lesbians Overcome Far-Right Protestors at Kiev Conference

Tyler Blackburn Opens Up About Being Bisexual

"Pretty Little Liars" alum Tyler Blackburn is opening up about embracing his sexuality.   “I'm queer. I've identified as bisexual since (I was) a teenager," he recently told The Advocate. "I just want to feel powerful in my own skin, and my own mind, and in my own heart.”  The actor, 32, is best known for his role as bad boy Caleb Rivers on "Pretty Little Liars" and now plays gay war veteran Alex Maines on the CW's "Roswell, New Mexico."

Blackburn recalled getting bulled for being "effeminate" growing up and said he would often eat lunch in his biology classroom.

“You form a shell around yourself for protection," he said. "And you start to make decisions based off of things outside of what you want and who you are. I stopped doing so many of the things that I loved doing because it felt safer. That right there is the outcome of oppression. When you literally have to mute who you are in order to feel safe. That’s soul-crushing.”  Now in his 30s, Blackburn is "tired of caring so much" about what others will think.

Tyler Blackburn Opens Up About Being Bisexual

Charlize Theron Reportedly Reveals Her Daughter, 7, Is Transgender

Academy Award-winner Charlize Theron reportedly shared that her oldest child is transgender.  Her daughter Jackson, 7, was assigned male at birth but revealed she’s a girl four years ago, Theron said, according to an interview published Thursday in the Daily Mail.

“I thought she was a boy, too,” Theron, 43, reportedly said in the interview. “Until she looked at me at 3 years old and said, ‘I am not a boy!’”   The actress has two children: Jackson and August, 4.  NBC News was unable to confirm the veracity of the Daily Mail article.

Theron has a legacy of LGBTQ activism, particularly when it comes to advocating for marriage equality. In 2009, she announced on “The View” that she would not marry her then-boyfriend, Stuart Townsend, until everyone had the right to marry in the United States.  “I think it would be exactly the same if we were married, but for me to go through that kind of ceremony, because I have so many friends who are gays and lesbians who would so badly want to get married, that I wouldn’t be able to sleep with myself,” she said at the time.

Charlize Theron Reportedly Reveals Her Daughter, 7, Is Transgender

Raising An Intersex Child

When Stephani Lohman got her first look at her newborn in the delivery room, she playfully hit her husband, Eric, on the arm. She made a flustered comment about how ultrasounds could get the sex of the child wrong.  The doctors in the Ontario hospital were silent. Eric knew that the situation was more serious than a mixup.  "I sort of looked around at that moment, and I saw what I would describe as panic on all of the medical staff's faces," Eric said.

They had expected their baby, Rosie, to be a girl, but her parents saw what seemed to be a penis. Eric remembered learning when he was getting his doctorate about babies born with genitalia that wasn't typically male or female. He realized right away that Rosie was like those babies.

"I wanted the baby to be put on my chest right away, because I just had her, and I worked really hard for that moment, and they didn't," Stephani said, recalling that day in 2012. "And I was scared." The doctors covered Rosie with a blanket and took her across the room for what seemed like a long time, Eric said. When they returned, they offered what they knew: Rosie had atypical genitalia, and more tests were needed to determine whether she was genetically a girl or a boy and if she had a serious medical condition, Eric said the doctors told them.   "It basically went from very celebratory, very exciting, to very scary," Eric said.

Raising An Intersex Child

LGBT Ally and Psychiatrist Dies

A pioneering LGBTQ ally and psychiatrist has died at the age of 82.  Richard Green was one of the first psychiatrists to speak out against labeling homosexuality as a mental disorder.

His son, Adam Hines-Green, told the New York Times his father died of esophageal cancer on 6 April at his London home.  In 1972, Green published an article in The International Journal of Psychiatry calling for the removal of homosexuality from the American Psychiatric Association’s list of mental disorders.  It was removed from the list the following year.

Jack Drescher, a clinical professor of psychiatry at Columbia University, told the Times: “Those were times when, if you spoke up in support of homosexuals, people immediately thought that you were secretly homosexual yourself, or had unresolved sexual issues.  Richard was very much heterosexual, and it took a lot of courage to argue for gay people.”

LGBT Ally and Psychiatrist Dies

Your Laugh For The Day!

The Daily Sheet Archives
Call Me By Your Name