The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay Cinema  (Read 1084925 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: Gay Cinema
« Reply #5325 on: March 20, 2024, 05:06:41 AM »
I hope everyone is well.  It feels so good and so right to make my way back to this transformative, truly great forum.  Its mark on me, along with the movie, remains indelible.  I'm deeply pleased that so many here have seen All of Us Strangers.  It definitely gets into the range of feelings undergone by Ennis and Jack.  Would that either of them could have had this sort of reunion or reconciliation with their parents.  Jack's mother surely would have been open to it.  And I believe she'd have insisted that Jack's father sit up and respect his son.  Ennis' brother could have done with a revisit, too.  I ask myself, is the ending of All of Us Strangers, with the two men embracing out among the stars, so different from Ennis' Jack, I swear?  Both scenes represent a bond that extends into life after life.  A struggle to love that should never be forgotten.  Tell ya what:  My review of All of Us Strangers is here:
https://moviestruck.substack.com/p/all-of-us-strangers-2023.  Stay well, everyone.

Just wanted to come back an let you know that I enjoyed your review, very well written!

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #5326 on: March 22, 2024, 03:24:18 PM »
...  My review of All of Us Strangers is here:
https://moviestruck.substack.com/p/all-of-us-strangers-2023.  Stay well, everyone.

Nice review!  On track. Captures the story well.  I still need to watch it again with CC ON b/c some of the words were difficult to discern in the theater.  For films like this I often view them a few days to weeks apart just to see what I didn't register with earlier viewings.  AoUS is another one for the "damn fine keepers"  list. I'm surprised we've not had more open discussions within.  V>

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #5327 on: March 22, 2024, 05:54:26 PM »
Nice review!  On track. Captures the story well.

I'm surprised we've not had more open discussions within.  V>

Yes, Vince, that was an interesting review.

Can you access The Conversation online? I came across two thoughtful articles on All of Us Strangers, the first  by a British media scholar and one by an Australian media scholar.

1. Guneyt Cakirlar "All of Us Strangers: coming to terms with the grief and trauma of being gay in the 1980s", The Conversation February 28, 2024

2. Natalie Krikova  "All of Us Strangers buys into tropes of tragic queer lives - but there is hope there too", The Conversation, March 13, 2024

Both writers examine the film in the context of Andrew Haigh's evolution and the historical context of  LGBTIQ+ representation in films
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 06:10:44 PM by tfferg »

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #5328 on: Yesterday at 08:22:16 PM »
15 gay movies that don't suck & that you may have missed

Cassie Sheets - Andrew J. Stillman

*note - there is a large button on the site that says "continue".  Don't click it, it's an ad.  Just scroll down to see the list.*

Tired of mediocre movies?

There are (thankfully) a ton of movies that have both gay characters and gay storylines, but so many of them are either poorly written, riddled with a ton of offensive stereotypes, have lackluster performances, or are just plain bad.

Fortunately for all the queer cinephiles, there are definitely critically-acclaimed, gay-themed movies out there that are worth a watch. Here are some of the best of the best!

https://www.pride.com/gay-movies/gay-movies-that-are-actually-good#rebelltitem1