The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Theatre  (Read 157564 times)

jayiijay

Re: Theatre
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 12:38:46 PM »
GARYD:

Great post, I agree with everything you said.  "Sweeney Todd" is magnificent, people should come to NYC just to see it, it is that good (and I doubt it will tour).

I liked "Souveneir" too, was sorry to see it close prematurely.  Judy Kaye has gotta be Tony nominated.

"Doubt" - haven't seen the new production myself, but others who have seen both said that while Eileen Atkins is great, Ron Eldard is weak, erasing the elements of "doubt" from the production - which in my eyes, would significantly hurt the show.  To those who haven't seen it, it is a fabulous play.

Seeing "History Boys" in a few weeks, excited.  But the really hot ticket is "Faith Healer" with Ralph Fiennes, Cherry Jones and Ian McDiermond (sp?), the Star Wars emperor.  The entire run is selling out fast, anybody interested should get tix now.  Also, go to playbill.com, become a member (free), and check out the discounts.  You can get $65 orchestra tix for $100 shows, even hot ones like those named above.  thx

jayiijay

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 12:45:29 PM »
LOLA:

The first shows I ever saw (and remember - I was too young for 2 or 3 others) were "Grease" and "A Chorus Line", loved them both.  "A Chorus Line" returns to Broadway in September, and if it succeeds will tour.  Wonder if the gay themes will be dated.

Great "Cats" story!  I remember seeing the original in college, I was so excited, I organized a group of friends, we went, and we loved it - silly plot but such great staging & costumes, plus "Memory".

Saw Richard Harris do "Camelot" on Broadway back in the '80s, he was still good, albeit a bit old.  Good show.  Interestingly, not even nominated for the Best Musical Tony the year "Bye Bye Birdie" won.  Richard Burton won as King Arthur, but Julie Andrews lost.  Julie also lost for "My Fair Lady" and "Victor/Victoria", never won a Tony.

TWISTEDBOY:

Love "Barber of Seville".  Don't mean to show any disrespect, but my favorite part is the overture because of the "Rabbit of Seville" Bugs Bunny episode, an all-time favorite.  They are both great art, LOL (but mean it)!

Offline aceygirl

• Expert
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 01:41:09 PM »
I have not seen a whole lot of theater lately despite living in NYC. :( But I did get to see Bridge and Tunnel last week, starring Sarah Jones. While one could definitely critique the underlying thinness of the "plot" and all, there's no denying this lady's talent. Two monologues in particular stirred me--one about an illegal Mexican immigrant who was paralyzed after a construction scaffold collapsed under him...crushing his legs and his dreams of live and love in America. The other was about a Chinese mother who must come to grips with her daughter's lesbianism--and becomes an advocate for her daughter's girlfriend, who is being deported because her committed relationship with another woman just doesn't cut it in America as being a valid reason for extending her visa. It was sweet and funny as well as poignant--the mother mournfully says, "She told me she met a nice Chinese girl. That's what I'd been waiting for my SON to say."

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 01:45:12 PM »
jayiijay:

Yes, we see "Faith..."  Wednesday night.  Assume the acting wiil be grand.  I am (one of the very few) not the greatest of Friel fans but I think that may just be me.  Memory plays are tricky and I never seem to be able to relate to his take on the world. That being said, I still think about "Dancing..." , 'Making History", and "Molly Sweeney" so they sure stick with you.   I a sure it will be excellent.  I certainly hope so.   If nothing else it is always fun to be in the Booth. 

Gonzo

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 01:57:03 PM »
Somebody mentioned they wanted to read "Les Miserables".  I hope you mean the book.  I seriously encourage you to dive right in.  It is a wonderful book.  Worth the investment.  Their is an interesting little connection.  The topic of Jack's lying about certain things has caused some concern.  "Les Mis" always comes to mind during that debate because there is a beautiful chapter regarding a nun known for her spotless virtue and honesty who has never told a lie.  In order to help the protagonist who is on the run from the law she lies directly to the antagonist who is some sort of police magistrate.  At that point Victor Hugo explodes into the most wonderful celebration of that first lie.  He exalts the nun to the heavens and celebrates her as most virtuous.  She knew that telling the truth was the wrong thing to do.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 02:01:40 PM »
That was me!!  ;D  I have seen the play 5 times and have the book, I have just never gotten around to reading it.  I will read it as soon as I finish what I am reading, promise!  :)

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 09:24:46 PM »
Just got home from seeing the new Broadway musical "The Drowsy Chaperone", which arrives in NYC from L.A.  Loved it!!!  So did the audience.  For those in/near NYC, see it while in previews, the reviews are gonna be good!

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 09:27:39 PM »
I don't suppose anyone has seen Mambo Kings live?  I LOVED that movie, Armand Assante and Antonio Banderas and I especially loved the music.  I heard it was going on stage in NY!  :o

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 10:33:37 PM »
LOLA:

Mambo Kings was supposed to come to NYC this past season, but something happened, supposedly they are re-working it.  I loved the score too, especially "Beautiful Maria of My Soul", which really should have won the 1992 Best Song Oscar (over the nice "A Whole New World" from "Aladdin").  If I see any news of its revival, I will let you know.  thx

Offline Wayman Wong

• Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 12:31:05 AM »
In case anyone missed it, Oregondoggie posted in the Main Discussion about Diana Ossana's response when asked what she would think of a stage version of ''Brokeback Mountain'' (from thread No. 626) ...

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.9375

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 07:31:07 AM »
Rent was my first Brokeback...I saw the original workshop and then the off Broadway production.  Funny story; I was in line for cancellations right after it moved to Broadway.  Behind me was an old gentleman and I was curious because the show didn't really play to that age group.  We were chatting and he said "my daughter is in it" and I thought, yeah right.  And then Daphne Rubin Vega came and said Daddy, why are you in line?...

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2006, 07:31:17 AM »
LOLA:

Mambo Kings was supposed to come to NYC this past season, but something happened, supposedly they are re-working it. I loved the score too, especially "Beautiful Maria of My Soul", which really should have won the 1992 Best Song Oscar (over the nice "A Whole New World" from "Aladdin"). If I see any news of its revival, I will let you know. thx

Thanks Jay!  Yes I loved that song, I bought the sountrack and play the it alot.  Antonio sings on it too and he is not half bad.   ;)

FUNGURL

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2006, 10:12:20 AM »
"Mambo Kings' more than likely will not be coming to Broadway any time soon.  It premiered in SF last year to scathing reviews.  Then, when the producers of "Lennon" went ahead and took it to Broadway after similar bad reviews, the backing dried up for "Mambo...".   It really was pretty bad, espcecially all of the new songs.  To be honest it needed a whole lot of work but then so did "Lestat"  and "The Color Purple" and they both went in.  As with anything , I guess, it takes money,enthusiasm and the williningness of the creators to be open to change and new ideas. 

Here are some of the Bay Area reviews:

http://www.broadway.com/gen/Buzz_Story.aspx?ci=513133

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2006, 10:22:20 AM »
Awww that is too bad, it sounds like it had potential:

What makes the 2-hour show bearable is the dancing, with choreography by Sergio Trujillo. The band, above the stage behind a curtain much of the time, is brass-oriented and hot. The coda to the mambo form is often an improvised drum solo and the drummers are terrific. The dance ensemble on the stage below is so electrifying you want them to continue and the story to stop. Not exactly the right formula for a Broadway hit.

Oh well I guess it won't be heading my way, I will stick with my movie and my CD! :P  Thanks for the link.

FUNGURL

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2006, 03:27:28 PM »
Jay,
would really like to hear more detail about DC.  What did you think of all the pastiche numbers?  How would they compare with those in Follies? (Is there any reason to even try and compare since they are for different shows and a slighty different genre?) 
Also, the set, as it takes over the apartment?  Does it work or is it too obvious?
"Man in the chair"..... annoying or truly funny?
Sutton F.  .... due for another Tony nomination?
Preview audiences seem to enjoy it but they are usually theatre junkies.  Do you think it will draw the NJ crowd or are there too many inside jokes and arcane references?

We saw it in LA and had all these questions and many more.  Would really appreciate your thoughts.