The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Theatre  (Read 152140 times)

Offline djbdc9

• Obsessed
Re: Theatre
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2006, 09:03:10 AM »
GARYD:

Hey.  My opinions as follows:

No comparison to Follies at all, very different shows with different intents. 

The original production of "Follies", now THAT was a musical.  One of the first and BEST musicals I've ever seen.  David

jayiijay

« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2006, 10:24:14 AM »
DJBDC9:

You should have seen Sweeney!  Come back and see it!  In a private message, GARYD was good enough to tell me that John Doyle is indeed working on a Sweeney-type version of Company.  If you go to playbill.com, there is an article about it there as well. 

I am jealous of both you and GARYD having seen the original Follies, I was a single digit age when it came out and only saw the revival a few years ago.  GARYD also was at the Carnegie Hall concert with Barbara Cook, Elaine Stritch, Carol Burnett, Mandy Patinkon, etc. etc.  I was at school at the time and didn't go, I so wish I had.  I remember the New York Times saying it played like a valedictory of the American musical theater.  Lofty stuff!

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2006, 10:46:22 AM »
Jay,(grin), my turn to be "persnikerty", it was Lincoln Center not Carnegie Hall. 

Yes, "Company" (Doyle version) is transferring in the Fall.  It may be better than the original;it is really that good.

"Movin' Out", don't blame you DJBDC9, it was grand but you need to get back to the city to see "Sweeney..."

"Follies" ....ah well.  My fantasy is to amass a fortune, or convince some fool who has aleady done so, and mount the ultimate "Follies" revival back at the Winter Garden.  i figure it would take about $18 to $20 million and you would have to be willing to lose most if not all of it.

Here's a good one.  If my fantasy came true, who would you cast in the major roles?  (Money being no object).

jayiijay

« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2006, 11:02:28 AM »
GARYD:

The Follies fantasy cast has been explored many times through the years.  Apparently "they" were going to make a movie back in the 70s.  Seriously discussed and contemplating doing it were Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton, Henry Fonda, Debbie Reynolds, Doris Day, Bette Davis (Carlotta), Joan Crawford (Hattie), etc. - don't remember who, would have to look it up.

Will think about my dream cast, but in the interim, here is a link to a discussion board containing other people's dream casts:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=863152

Some of the names mentioned that I like are Meryl Streep or Nicole Kidman (later) as (Phyllis); Bernadette Peters (Sally); , Bea Arthur (Hattie; too old now?); Shirley MacLaine (Carlotta); Bette Midler or even Liza MInnelli as Stella; Barbara Cook as Heidi; Kevin Kline as Ben; Gene Hackman as Weissman.

P.S.  LOL re: Lincoln Center!

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2006, 11:06:13 AM »
Did you guys all hear about Bernadette Peters husband?  That was so tragic!!  I wonder how she is doing?  :'(

FUNGURL

Offline djbdc9

• Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2006, 11:06:32 AM »
Good to know I'm not the only one who has had that fantasy of remounting the original production of "Follies" at the Winter Garden.  All it would take is the money.  A lot of it!  Let me think about the dream cast.

Hope to get back to see "Sweeney" but couldn't resist seeing Elizabeth Parkinson and Keith Roberts in "Movin' Out" one last time.

David
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 09:38:18 AM by djbdc9 »

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »
Jay, yeah, I know it's an ancient topic, still fun though. 

David:  keep your eyes open for some rich sucker we can pounce.  We will have to light a stick of dynamite under that damn "Mama Mia" but that would ok by me.

Oh, "Fatih Healer" last night.  Acting, as one would expect, fantastic.  Play.....  Go see, let's discuss. 

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2006, 11:48:17 AM »
LOLA:
Bernadette Peters...hmm long story.

Here's what needs to happen; Sondheim needs to write at least one final masterpiece with her in the lead.

If not , she is going to end up in another  revival of something like "A Little Night Music" (which I think would kind of be a waste of her talent) OR "Hello Dolly" .  She would be great as Dolly.  Finally bring some sex appeal to the role like she did with "Gypsy".

Sorry for being so chatty.  We are just now over Detroit.  Three and a half hours to go and I am bored stiff.  Time for a nap. 

jayiijay

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »
GARYD:

My Faith Healer tix aren't until June 14th - sounds to me like you have issues with the play, don't tell, LOL!

Tonight: Lt. of Inishmore.  On Sunday I snagged tix to the opening night of History Boys, excited, will let you know my opinion, expecting to love it based on Bennett's previous work.

Follies: Not ancient at all - fun stuff.  I would have loved to have seen Liz Taylor & Bette Davis in a movie together with all those others.  There remains talk of a Sweeney movie.  If they do it right, it would obviously be a great film (Scorsese should direct, he'd finally get his Oscar - not that I give a hoot about the Oscars anymore).  Who should play the leads in Sweeney Todd?  Believe it or not, Russell Crowe has expressed interest in playing Sweeney.  After, perhaps they would do a low budget film of Follies with big stars working for low wages.  Doubtful, but you never know! 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
As for Julia, she said she is doing a play to "get out of the house" - LOL.  She should have stayed home!  Kidding - love it when big movie stars do theater, trying to hone their craft or just "give back".  I respect her for it, and she didn't stink, I've seen much worse.  But she wasn't memorable.  Will be interesting to see if she gets a Tony nomination - probably, since she is Julia, and it was a weak year for actresses.  She won't win, but they likely want her at the ceremony, can you blame them??  Now that I have sworn off the Oscars forever due to the disgusting Brokeback upset, the Tonys & Golden Globes are the last awards shows in which I have any interest (and just barely the Globes).

Sorry to ramble.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/04/20/theater.juliaonbway.ap/index.html

check out the review!

FUNGURL

Offline djbdc9

• Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2006, 12:06:35 PM »

David:  keep your eyes open for some rich sucker we can pounce.  We will have to light a stick of dynamite under that damn "Mama Mia" but that would ok by me.

I'll light the fuse!

jayiijay

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »
LOLA:

Yeah, the NY Times & others got it right, she wasn't very good, nor was the play.  She was stiff in Act 1, ordinary in Act 2, didn't evoke pathos...just not memorable.  In Act 1, Paul Rudd was worse, though he was fine in Act 2.  Bradley Cooper was the best of the three, the play came alive only when he was on stage.  So to those who wanted to see it but couldn't, you didn't miss much, LOL!!

P.S.  I saw Oprah get out of her van at zero hour and get interviewed last night before the show.  She looked haggard.  But then I went home and saw her get skewered on South Park (see favorite tv thread), it made my week (to see her trashed on South Park that is, not to see her live, LOL).

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2006, 12:20:53 PM »
"SHE'S ...A....GREAT...BIG...HUGE...MOVIE ..STAR"!   God bless Elaine Stritch.  Everybody rise, may she live forever.

Reminds me of some story about Judy Garland attending some  god-awful performance way back when.  She knew she was going to have to go back stage afterwards and say SOMETHING to the actors.

She went up to the lead and supposedly said:   "Darling, how EVER do you do it"?  then turning to the second lead..."And Youuuuuu......!"..followed by a big hug.

OR, some urban legend about Ethel Merman walking into Lauren Bacall's dressing room after a performance of "Applause"  and yelling "Where's the can"?  Then, from the can, "Stop beating your chest during that here's to the theatre number, your body mike makes it sound like they're getting ready to demonlish the damn place".

jayiijay

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2006, 12:43:14 PM »
GARYD:

LOL (literally for a change) at your Judy & Ethel stories.  More please!!!

I guess Elaine Stritch is the last of the old-time great ones.  I assume you saw her one-woman show - was amazing, don't you think?  I felt badly they cut her off during her (rambling) Tony acceptance speech, she deserved her (long) moment.  Also loved her in A Delicate Balance a few seasons back, though her croaking in Show Boat was the one time I thought she was out of her element.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2006, 12:48:07 PM »

P.S.  I saw Oprah get out of her van at zero hour and get interviewed last night before the show.  She looked haggard.  But then I went home and saw her get skewered on South Park (see favorite tv thread), it made my week (to see her trashed on South Park that is, not to see her live, LOL).

Well I have to say it would make my day (to see her live) I am a fan.  I have never seen South Park in my life, something tells me I wouldn't like it! lol

Last cartoon I watched was The Flintstones, now there was a good show!  ;)

FUNGURL