The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Theatre  (Read 151128 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Theatre
« Reply #870 on: September 25, 2017, 12:34:59 PM »
Yes, it is, but not the same music. He uses passages from works of composer Bernard Herrmann.

Very interesting. (I know who Bernard Herrmann was: great composer of scores for films.)

I don't think that would be a reason for Matthew Bourne, His works have all been received well in Los Angeles, where he usually brings them first.

Yes, but would they play in Peoria?  :D   

I can't find out any reasons why. It's interesting, because the last two Bourne productions I've seen in L.A.. there's been conversations with other audience members who've mentioned wanting to see it, without prompting.

I was thinking more generally. I would expect his work would be well received in that Den of Iniquity L.A.  ;D

I can't remember where I saw his Swan Lake (which was interesting and I enjoyed, but "it really wasn't Swan Lake"). PBS, maybe? Or just on DVD.

(Just a word about my comment about Swan Lake. Quite a few years ago, now, the Pennsylvania Ballet paid hotshot choreographer Christopher Wheeldon to make a new Swan Lake for the company. It was a "reimagining," so to speak: A ballet company preparing to debut a new ballet called Swan Lake. I came to think it was OK on its own terms, but only just OK. It wasn't really Swan Lake. While I have enjoyed some modern works, if I had to choose, I would choose my ballets classical. As one of the [obviously gay] gay boys in the movie Center Stage put it, "Ballet is about girls in tiaras and boys in tights." Especially the boys in tights. ...  :D )
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 03:53:37 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #871 on: October 01, 2017, 03:30:22 PM »
Saw Kinky Boots at the KC Starlight Amphitheater last night. Crazy show, but good performances all around, and a rare PERFECT night for an outdoor venue, couldn't have been better.  Moon over the stage, bright stars all around, and, thank whoever, very little breeze with the cool temps!! People who live in the Midwest KNOW what I mean........

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #872 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:20 PM »
^^^

I like the movie, but have not seen the stage version.

(The original movie came out the same year as Brokeback Mountain.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #873 on: October 07, 2017, 12:10:07 PM »

I saw a recorded copy of Hello, Dolly!, with Bette Midler as Dolly.  The show is so ubiquitous to me that it's hard to get worked up about another version, but it's still really good. I don't know where a friend of mine got this copy of it.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #874 on: October 07, 2017, 12:34:55 PM »

NYC is hosting "Elsie Fest" in Central Park.

It's a concert that stars a number of Broadway performers, singing show tunes from the plays they are in, as well as songs from other plays.

One of the main performers is Darren Criss, who earned fame from his role in Glee.

Here is one of the songs he'll be performing at Elsie Fest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e78hgMokz2I