The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Theatre  (Read 158188 times)

Online oilgun

• Obsessed
Re: Theatre
« Reply #885 on: May 05, 2018, 05:35:06 PM »
Moulin Rouge - The Musical

First preview:

http://instinctmagazine.com/post/first-preview-moulin-rouge-musical

I'd love to see it.  I may just plan a trip to New York, once Trump is impeached of course.
"Florence, this is a tough hurricane. One of the wettest we've ever seen from the standpoint of water." - Trump

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #886 on: June 17, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
My youngest grandaughter goes to a small dance and acting club every Saturday morning and today my husband and I and her daddy,mommy and older sister went to watch all of the members ..aged from 4yrs...to around 15yrs old ...do their production of "Matilda". OK...they are only kids...forgetting their lines here and there
and doing the wrong dance steps to some tunes...BUT...they put their hearts and souls into it and the joy on their faces just shone out.
Also today.is "Fathers Day" here in the UK...and after the show had finished..one of the instructors came on stage and asked us to stay seated as the children have a
special treat for all the daddies here. Then the 70 strong cast...of all ages gave a faultless version of "Wind beneath my wings". Grown men of all ages wept like babies and were not ashamed to show it. We all stood ...to a man ....and gave them
a standing ovation. Wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #887 on: June 17, 2018, 09:25:00 PM »

Sounds wonderful!

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #888 on: June 17, 2018, 09:33:04 PM »
Sounds like a beautiful performance by all the young people. What a wonderful present for all the fathers there. It is Father's Day here as well.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #889 on: June 18, 2018, 07:48:31 AM »
Moulin Rouge - The Musical

First preview:

http://instinctmagazine.com/post/first-preview-moulin-rouge-musical

I'd love to see it.  I may just plan a trip to New York, once Trump is impeached of course.

You're going to have a very long wait.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #890 on: September 11, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
I was lucky enough to see Bette Midler in Hello Dolly during her first run last year. Perfect role for her, and she's at the right age for it too. Then I heard she and Bernadette Peters were going to alternate doing the role, whatever, six weeks on and off for each. Okay, I've never been a huge Peters fan, saw her in Gypsy, and she was TRYING to give it her best, but her voice was shot or worn out, or whatever, so all you got was a bad sound from her. I think people stood and appaulded her simply for being a trouper and trying to force her voice. I don't know, I had heard that she skipped out on a lot of performances in Gypsy for whatever reasons. But that night she certainly should have let the understudy do it...these ladies aren't young anymore, and their voices simply can't take demanding roles several times a week for months on end, IMHO, you understand!  ;D
So glad I got to see Bette though, I never had caught her in concert, or in Vegas, so this was a very special treat for me...... :D

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #891 on: September 11, 2018, 08:05:32 PM »
                                                   ^^^^^

Sounds wonderful. I love Miss M !!

Such a shame about Bernadette though.
Sometimes...they just don't know when to call it a day  :(
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #892 on: October 19, 2018, 03:48:55 PM »
Not to continue with something that probably doesn't belong in the Theatre thread, BUT. ...

I remember it was supposed to be a Big Deal because Terrence Malick wrote and directed.

At the time I thought that having both Colin Farrell and Christian Bale in one film was more hotness than I could bear. ...  :D  But, tattoos or no tattoos, I always found the idea of Colin Farrell as Capt. John Smith kind of weird.

Until I looked it up, I forgot that Christopher Plummer and Wes Studi were in it. Ever since I first became aware of him in The Last of the Mohicans, I have always found Wes Studi eminently watchable.

My field in graduate school was Early American History, and I thought the production values (I mean costumes, sets, and so forth) were quite good.

I have never seen "The New World" (2005), but I heard that the cinematography was very good.  I've seen Disney's animated theatrical film "Pocahontas" (1995) and really like it.  Even though it isn't one of the best animated theatrical films that Disney has ever made, I think that it is better than what most film critics and moviegoers say it is, although it is not very accurate in the historical sense.  I believe Christian Bale provided the speaking voice for the character of Thomas in Disney's "Pocahontas".  Mel Gibson provided the speaking and singing voice for the character of Captain John Smith.  I think that Wes Studi was in "Dances with Wolves" (1990) and in James Cameron's "Avatar" (2009), which has some similar themes and elements to "Dances with Wolves".  I would like to see a more accurate theatrical film based on the life of Pocahontas.  I find her to be an interesting historical figure.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 12:08:39 AM by B.W. »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #893 on: October 19, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »
I have never seen "The New World" (2005), but I heard that the cinematography was very good.

In my opinion it was. Even more impressive to me, the Jamestown set had the approval of the archaeologist in charge of the historical excavations of the real Jamestown.