The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Annie Proulx  (Read 181461 times)

Offline wkw

• Feet Wet
Re: All About Annie
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2006, 09:56:24 PM »
     This Thursday Annie Proulx will be discussing her story and the movie on public radio station KCRW at 2:30pm PCT. If you don't live in Los Angeles you can hear the show, "Bookworm", at  www.kcrw.com
                                                                                                          Bill

Offline Alex

• Expert
  • Love is a force of nature.
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2006, 02:23:07 AM »
On the National Critics Award and on the Golden Globes, I think I heard Diana Ossana and Ang Lee pronounced Annie's last name as "prool". 

Am I just hearing them wrong? 
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2006, 02:53:40 AM »
that's certainly the way i heard them say it.

Offline Alex

• Expert
  • Love is a force of nature.
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2006, 03:25:47 AM »
The "L" and "X" are silent (see FAQ's in her website).  It's pronounced as "proo".  I wonder what Annie would say to that?   :-\

http://annieproulx.com/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 03:27:23 AM by Alex »
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006, 04:45:06 PM »

I just noticed.  7 posts on Annie Proulx.  5 on the also great Larry McMurtry.  1000 on the actors.  I take nothing from their excellent performances, but SHE created this thing!  Guess that's jsut a cross writers have to bear.

I quoted you last nite on the Real Time Online Brokeback Forum Virtual Golden Globes Extravaganza

Diana Ossana had given the most fantastic acceptance speech wearing the most fabulous white evening gown--and all anyone could talk about was Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake

One of the Mods told me to lighten up and just go with the flow

But there's something wrong here if people who are so crazy about the movie are ignoring the screen writer whose getting an award and jabbering about The Stud Who Wasn't There

I guess us print people will have to learn to take our lumps and settle for the crumbs
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

lynn

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 04:55:37 PM »
No, no, you're not the only one!!! I wasn't on the GG live thread, but I gushed about Diana at the BFCA:  "... and I went crazy for Diana cause I identify with her -- she's sort of like the "Annie" on this project, the tough, smart middle-aged gal that's wise to everything...."

She's smart, classy, she looked great (how about that hair!) and she gave a great speech last night... and along with Annie, two women added so much heart to this film, it amazes me! If I could write like that...

lynn

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2006, 05:03:27 PM »
And as far as Annie goes, any woman that can get away with this line has my undying respect...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/filmandmusic/story/0,16373,1678414,00.html

Proulx herself is overwhelmed. "Heath Ledger erased the image I had when I wrote it. He was so visceral. How did this actor get inside my head so well? He understood more about the character than I did. This isn't nice for a 70-year-old woman to say, but it was a skullfuck."

Offline wjp58

• Experienced
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2006, 08:20:27 AM »
I hope someone will post some sort of link to Diana Ossana's acceptance speech.  I missed it.

And that quote from Annie about Ledger's performance --  My God!   I had no idea she was 70. 
"There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe..."

Offline anzacbat

• Feet Wet
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 09:08:54 PM »
Annie Proulx on KCRW's "Bookworm", Thursday Jan  19.  Very interesting interview on Brokeback Mtn.

http://www.kcrw.org/cgi-bin/db/kcrw.pl?show_code=bw&air_date=1/19/06&tmplt_type=show

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 10:23:18 PM »
I posted a message on the Book\Movie Suggest New Topic Thread suggesting a thread to discuss

Brokeback in the Context of all Proulx's Wyoming Stories published in Close Range & Bad Dirt

This maybe somewhat academic, but I feel Proulx does for Wyoming what Joyce did for Dublin, and the individual stories reflect and reverberate off one another

Proulx has a great story about a woman who actually escapes her Wyoming roots and finds a long and satisfying lesbian relationship in San Francisco--and it's the only "happy family" in any of the 22 stories ("Dump Junk" in Bad Dirt)

There are no happy heterosexual families in Proulx's Wyoming stories, and I feel Jack & Ennis need to be seen in that context

Any other Proulx fans interested in this idea for a new thread???
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 10:53:09 PM »
I posted a message on the Book\Movie Suggest New Topic Thread suggesting a thread to discuss

Brokeback in the Context of all Proulx's Wyoming Stories published in Close Range & Bad Dirt

This maybe somewhat academic, but I feel Proulx does for Wyoming what Joyce did for Dublin, and the individual stories reflect and reverberate off one another

Proulx has a great story about a woman who actually escapes her Wyoming roots and finds a long and satisfying lesbian relationship in San Francisco--and it's the only "happy family" in any of the 22 stories ("Dump Junk" in Bad Dirt)

There are no happy heterosexual families in Proulx's Wyoming stories, and I feel Jack & Ennis need to be seen in that context

Yes
I'd love to talk also about how the other stories in Close Range (and Bad Dirt - I haven't read those but keep meaning to) may have had an influence on the screenplay - I know reading some of them gave me a flavor for some of the characters in BBM.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline evie

• Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2006, 11:11:10 AM »
No, no, you're not the only one!!! I wasn't on the GG live thread, but I gushed about Diana at the BFCA:  "... and I went crazy for Diana cause I identify with her -- she's sort of like the "Annie" on this project, the tough, smart middle-aged gal that's wise to everything...."
She's smart, classy, she looked great (how about that hair!) and she gave a great speech last night... and along with Annie, two women added so much heart to this film, it amazes me! If I could write like that...

...And drop-dead gorgeous to boot!
Let 'er rip and snort boys

Bobbie

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2006, 10:44:09 AM »

Check out Annie's thread in Arts and Entertainment http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.msg214#msg214.  It is a very active thread.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 10:46:55 AM by Bobbie »

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
Re: Annie Proulx's other books
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2006, 09:14:17 PM »
I originally posted this suggesion on the "Book\Film" Forum, but maybe it belongs here

I haven't seen this topic discussed anywhere on these boards, though maybe I'm not looking in the right places:

Brokeback & All 22 of Annie Proulx's Wyoming Stories

Whenever I re-read "Brokeback," I read all the stories in Close Range and Bad Dirt

Bad Dirt has a great story, "Dump Junk," about a woman who actually escapes from Wyoming and finds a long and happy lesbian relationship in San Francisco

I've never seen any posts about that story on these boards

Also, Proulx said in an interview that Wyoming is really the main subject of these stories: the vaste, empty spaces; the rough terrain; the inhospitable weather; the limping economcy; the sense of isolation from "mainstream" America

All these factors play out in Jack & Ennis' relationship--and in the, mostly failed, hetero relationships in the other stories

Except for that lesbian couple, there are no happy families in Proulx's Wyoming stories. And I feel Jack and Ennis are better understood in this context     

Also, one reason I dislike Cassie so much is that she seems to have wandered in from "A Lonely Coast," another story in Close Range about three hard drinking, sexually agressive,  desperate divorcees who are looking for sex in all the wrong places and with all the wrong cowboys.

I consider "A Lonely Coast" to be the hetero version of "Brokeback."  Believe me, Jack & Ennis come off way more sympathetically than Josanna Skiles and and her slezoid boyfriend, Elk Nelson.

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2006, 09:42:07 PM »

Check out Annie's thread in Arts and Entertainment http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.msg214#msg214.  It is a very active thread.

Thanks for the tip, Bobbie

As these Forums and threads proliferate, I'm getting all confuddled about the best place to post messages on various topics.

Is it possible to do a topic search on "Annie Proulx" or "Close Range" to see what threads are already started and what Forums they reside on?