The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Annie Proulx  (Read 181462 times)

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
Re: Annie Proulx's other books
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2006, 01:21:23 AM »
the few of us left who know how to read and write could establish every October 13 as Brokeback Day, the way the Joyceans have transformed June 16 into Bloomsday.

bbmedia, I concur but I have to ask (and am I gonna feel silly when I hear the answer) what is the significance of October 13th?† Was that the New Yorker issue date?

I agree with you other sentiments - I love Annie's other works too - I just started Postcards

October 13, 1997 is the cover date of the New Yorker issue in which Brokeback first appeared.
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
Re: All About Annie
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »
This may be way ahead of the game, but I was thinking, after all the fanzine frenzy dies down and the "isn't Jake adorable" crowd moves on to something else, the few of us left who know how to read and write could establish every October 13 as Brokeback Day, the way the Joyceans have transformed June 16 into Bloomsday.† †

It could be a poignant three-day observance:† October 11 is National Coming Out Day (commemorating the Oct 11, 1987 March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights.)† October 12 is the anniversary of the death of Matthew Shepard. (The fact that those two are one day apart always distresses me.)† And then BBM was born on Oct 13.† (And, what a coincidence, so was I!)

There are NO coincidences

This is pretty freaking amazing

Thanks for pointing it out tedh
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2006, 09:17:10 PM »

It could be a poignant three-day observance:† October 11 is National Coming Out Day (commemorating the Oct 11, 1987 March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights.)† October 12 is the anniversary of the death of Matthew Shepard. (The fact that those two are one day apart always distresses me.)† And then BBM was born on Oct 13.† (And, what a coincidence, so was I!)

There are NO coincidences

This is pretty freaking amazing

Thanks for pointing it out tedh
Yes thanks
This MUST be included in the gay agenda i think - that leather bound one that WLAGuy was telling us about ;)
I have it on my calendar - will definitely have to watch BBM those days
AH the future when I have my very own copy of BBM
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
Re: Annie Proulx
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2006, 08:05:10 PM »
My, my, my, my, my

I take a brief vacation from Brokeback Mountain (no, I did not go to Broke-aholics rehab!) and find the two Annie Proulx threads have been merged into one on Arts & Entertainment

Well, Adorable Doe Eyed Jake and Grim Tight Lipped Heath will just have to do the best they can without us

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #64 on: February 13, 2006, 04:33:29 AM »

This MUST be included in the gay agenda i think - that leather bound one that WLAGuy was telling us about ;)
I have it on my calendar - will definitely have to watch BBM those days
AH the future when I have my very own copy of BBM

An addendum to my original post (and I can't believe I forgot to mention this since they are my favorite movie and favorite play ... well second favorite movie) but on October 13, 1950† "All About Eve" premiered in New York and on October 13, 1962 "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" opened on Broadway.† †October 13 may just be the gayest day of the year.

As I said before, there are NO co-incidences!

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #65 on: February 13, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
The people on this Forum have gone out of their minds.

Sending postcards of thanks to Heath & Jake, but NOT to Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry, and Diana Ossana.

Since when has the piano composed the concerto?

What a world! What a world!!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2006, 02:54:58 PM by bbbmedia »

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: February 13, 2006, 04:18:07 PM »

Sending postcards of thanks to Heath & Jake, but NOT to Annie Proulx, Larry McMurtry, and Diana Ossana.

bbmedia I would recommend you read sunspots moving explanation about why we chose to focus this campaign on Heath and Jake:
http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=565.msg44355#msg44355

No one is disrespecting or taking anything away from the accomplishments of others involved in the making of the film, but rather taking the time to acknowledge how much we appreciate them making the leap of faith to appear in the film since it had languished for so long without actors to fill the roles of Jack and Ennis.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #67 on: February 13, 2006, 10:06:18 PM »

And while you're at it, I hope you're sending thank you notes to Joseph Mankewitz and Noel Langley.

Tedh -- You rock!

The only person on these Forums to recognize either quote--and you went 2 for 2

Give yourself 1000 points for Fabulosity!

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2006, 08:05:53 PM »
The only person on these Forums to recognize either quote--and you went 2 for 2
Give yourself 1000 points for Fabulosity!

Thanks but those were too easy.† If you had quoted "Backstreet Woman" or "Loves of a Blonde" I mighta been stumped.

Totally off topic but -- back in the early 80's, when I was very young, I ended up doing a show with a man named Ondine (he was one of Warhol's "superstars" and the funniest man I ever met in my life.) Anyway, he told me that in the 50's, when you wanted to find out if someone was gay, you'd take them to a revival of "All About Eve" and if they laughed, you knew.

And if they quoted all the dialog from memory, then you absolutely had to see their apartment!

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2006, 12:08:32 PM »
   Check out a brand new thread, Thinking About Some Brokeback Mountain Think Pieces.

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=1259.0

Letís deconstruct the dudes who try to deconstruct our favorite movie.

Feel free to double-post from older threads.

And donít be shy. If you have lots to say, please go ahead and say it. (Something I know us literary types excell at!)  ;)

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2006, 12:20:38 PM »
I only just found this little thread tucked away...

I read the Shipping News, whilst on holiday in Fuerte Ventura... And it was amazing to be able to consentrate fully (as you must do when reading AP)... I was so astounded I bought the DVD when I got home, and was utterly disappointed... Much of the book was missed from the film...

The first book however that I read by AP was That Ole Ace in the Hole... Anyone else here read it...? It was amazing...

The main feeling I always get from an AP novel is that I want to visit that place desperately...

1) Shipping News - I wanted to go to Newfoundland and sit in a little cafe in a remote fishing village...
2) That Ole Ace - I so wanted to go and tour the hog farms in the Texas Panhandle...

All mad I know but AP writes in such a style as to entice you into the location of the prose...!!!
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline paulh

• cool, calm, and distracted
  • Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2006, 11:32:54 AM »
I read "Shipping News" ten years ago, "Close Range" four or five years ago, and "That old Ace in the hole" and "Bad Dirt" recently. I have not read "Accordian crimes" nor "Heartsongs."

I have read "Brokeback Mountain" three times, including the time I read "Close Range."

I wish I knew how Annie reacted to the loss of the "Best Picture" Oscar last Sunday.  :(
The idea of Jake as invisible
Is amusing, my friends, if not risible.
Wherever he goes,
Nearly everyone knows
That he's Jake Gyllenhaal, indivisible ;-)

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2006, 08:14:00 PM »
The main feeling I always get from an AP novel is that I want to visit that place desperately...

[...]
2) That Ole Ace - I so wanted to go and tour the hog farms in the Texas Panhandle...

All mad I know but AP writes in such a style as to entice you into the location of the prose...!!!

lol!† Zudos -- you do NOT want to tour a hog farm, in the Panhandle or anywhere else!† Please trust me on this!† You will not find it enticing!† Them hogs are NOT happy, they are NOT quiet, they are shoulder-to-shoulder in giant metel sheds.† And then... the smell.† The smell.† Words fail me here.† I can only say:† Honey, it ain't Shalimar!† One whiff of that, you'll prob'ly never eat pigmeat again....

Dal
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:04:15 PM by Dal »
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline Dal

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
  • Skim milk masquerades as cream
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2006, 08:32:58 PM »
I wish I knew how Annie reacted to the loss of the "Best Picture" Oscar last Sunday.† :(

I'm thinking that she's seen a lot, and won't let Hollywood antics get to her, much.†

"Seen a lot".... you know, she really has a scary insight into human misery.† And look at what she writes about, and the awful fates she hands her characters (save That Old Ace).†

Small examples:† she sees an old cowboy watching a snooker game, and bingo, imagines Brokeback so accurately that we who have lived it cannot believe it is not real.† And Ennis' inhaling the shirt -- not every author knows that people do that.† She is the Encyclopedia of Hell.†

I surely, surely hope for her sake, that very little of her knowledge of life in Hell is derived from personal experience.† †

Dal
Mommy, can I be on the kill list when I gwow up?
Of course honey, any American can -- thanks to President Obama!!

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2006, 10:29:58 AM »

[...]

lol!† Zudos -- you do NOT want to tour a hog farm, in the Panhandle or anywhere else!† Please trust me on this!† You will not find it enticing!† Them hogs are NOT happy, they are NOT quiet, they are shoulder-to-shoulder in giant metel sheds, and they do NOT smell good.† No indeedy.† Prob'ly never eat pigmeat again....

Dal

Stop shattering my romantic vision..>!!!lol
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA