The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Annie Proulx  (Read 225462 times)

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
Re: All About Annie
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2006, 10:29:54 PM »
On the National Critics Award and on the Golden Globes, I think I heard Diana Ossana and Ang Lee pronounced Annie's last name as "prool". 

Am I just hearing them wrong? 
Diana is speaking right now and she said "prool".
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Bobbie

« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2006, 02:11:34 PM »
bbbmedia,

Try the blue search button at the top of the screen under the photo banner. 

Bobbie

Offline andyincolorado

• Experienced
    • Andy's Home Page
Re: Annie Proulx's other books
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2006, 10:15:15 PM »
I'm almost finished reading Annie Proulx's BAD DIRT (Wyoming 2) Short stories. I LOVE the story titles she uses...
One in particular is (I hope I get this right - don't have the book in front of me) "What Furniture Would Jesus Pick".
There's the every familiar rancher character in this one whose sons have left and moved to Colorado (not interested in ranching like their dad). Rancher gets to see one of his sons and asks him how his brother is doing. His son replies that his brother is "well....considering his 'lifestyle'. Rancher has NO idea what he means by 'lifestyle'. All the son would say is that his brother is 'different' and he's more 'SOPHISTICATED' - that has to be the most interesting code word for "GAY" that I've ever read!
The rancher does recall when the 'sophisticated' son was growing up - around 9 years old or so...he became 'attached' to a handsome, blond, muscular ranch hand and followed him around.......a major clue there....
"Truth is....sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2006, 11:03:59 PM »
In Close Range (the anthology in which BBM is featured) there is a story about a bull rider.  I think it is called 'The Mud Below'  I read that after I read BBM and it colored a bit my impressions of Jack during his rodeo days - the long drives between rodeos, the constant danger of injury (or death) and the dirt poor status of most of the rodeo 'cowboys'  It's no wonder marraige to Lureen would have been tempting.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2006, 07:19:22 PM »
I'm almost finished reading Annie Proulx's BAD DIRT (Wyoming 2) Short stories. I LOVE the story titles she uses...
One in particular is (I hope I get this right - don't have the book in front of me) "What Furniture Would Jesus Pick".
There's the every familiar rancher character in this one whose sons have left and moved to Colorado (not interested in ranching like their dad). Rancher gets to see one of his sons and asks him how his brother is doing. His son replies that his brother is "well....considering his 'lifestyle'. Rancher has NO idea what he means by 'lifestyle'. All the son would say is that his brother is 'different' and he's more 'SOPHISTICATED' - that has to be the most interesting code word for "GAY" that I've ever read!
The rancher does recall when the 'sophisticated' son was growing up - around 9 years old or so...he became 'attached' to a handsome, blond, muscular ranch hand and followed him around.......a major clue there....

At one point Jack suggests the only thing he and Ennis can do is move to Denver. I always think of this story whenever I hear\read that line
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2006, 07:21:30 PM »
Just a suggestion, but considering how little attention both threads are getting, this thread should be merged with "All about Annie"

At least then Annie's life and works will be in the same place

And still get 1% as many posts as Jakes Eyelashes.

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline sunspot

• Obsessed
  • Stay behind my aura!
    • The gun is good!
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2006, 09:06:34 PM »
Fresh interview with Annie from AP (via Yahoo!):

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060123/ap_on_en_mo/oscars_film_brokeback_proulx_q_a

Interesting quote on people who might have trouble with the film:

The only people who would have problems with it are people who are very insecure about themselves and their own sexuality and who would be putting up a defense, and that's usually young men who haven't figured things out yet. Jack and Ennis would probably have trouble with this movie.

"We are all hopelessly oppressed cowards
Of some duality
And restless multiplicity"
 - Joni Mitchell, "Don Juan's Reckless Daughter"

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2006, 09:43:01 PM »
Noticed today that Brokeback Mountain which has been #1  on the LA Times best seller list for several weeks was today joined by Close Range at #5
Folks can't get enough of Annie!

Offline Snowshoe

• Experienced
  • "Little darlin."
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2006, 06:47:17 AM »
I'm just finished "Close Range" and reading "That Old Ace In The Hole" now. Both books are entertaining but nothing can beat BBM.  :)
"Our thoughts form the Universe. They always matter." - G'Kar, Babylon 5 -

erik333

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2006, 07:50:15 PM »
Annie's Brokeback Mountain story is the most sparse and compressed narrative i've ever read.

I'm new to this forum, but had asked (just this morning) the administrator if i could post the selling of THE VERY FIRST EDITION of Brokeback Mountain (instead of putting it on e-bay, i thought you'd all enjoy it way more). Ive seen the New Yorker Magazine sell for almost $300, and I need funds right now, but thought Id offer it here for $200 to the first grabber,.... and then I saw the movie (just over 6 hours ago now) and WOW!  Well, havent heard from the administrator, and not sure I need to now (do i want to part with this short story!).  God let it win BEST PICTURE! Either way tho, weve come a long way baby!

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »
I'm new to this forum, but had asked (just this morning) the administrator if i could post the selling of THE VERY FIRST EDITION of Brokeback Mountain (instead of putting it on e-bay, i thought you'd all enjoy it way more). Ive seen the New Yorker Magazine sell for almost $300, and I need funds right now, but thought Id offer it here for $200 to the first grabber,.... and then I saw the movie (just over 6 hours ago now) and WOW!  Well, havent heard from the administrator, and not sure I need to now (do i want to part with this short story!).  God let it win BEST PICTURE! Either way tho, weve come a long way baby!
Erik, I would suggest waiting to hear from the administrator on this issue. 
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2006, 10:32:56 PM »
This may be way ahead of the game, but I was thinking, after all the fanzine frenzy dies down and the "isn't Jake adorable" crowd moves on to something else, the few of us left who know how to read and write could establish every October 13 as Brokeback Day, the way the Joyceans have transformed June 16 into Bloomsday.

We could gather in a pub, we'd only need one booth or a very small table, take turns reading the story and the screenplay, and perhaps one or two of Annie's other Wyoming stories, or all 22 Wyoming stories if we wanted to make a night of it.

Eventually Jake will no longer be adorable. But Annie's stories will stay fresh forever.     

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2006, 10:35:32 PM »
This may be way ahead of the game, but I was thinking, after all the fanzine frenzy dies down and the "isn't Jake adorable" crowd moves on to something else, the few of us left who know how to read and write could establish every October 13 as Brokeback Day, the way the Joyceans have transformed June 16 into Bloomsday.

We could gather in a pub, we'd only need one booth or a very small table, take turns reading the story and the screenplay, and perhaps one or two of Annie's other Wyoming stories, or all 22 Wyoming stories if we wanted to make a night of it.

Eventually Jake will no longer be adorable. But Annie's stories will stay fresh forever.     

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2006, 11:36:54 PM »
the few of us left who know how to read and write could establish every October 13 as Brokeback Day, the way the Joyceans have transformed June 16 into Bloomsday.

bbmedia, I concur but I have to ask (and am I gonna feel silly when I hear the answer) what is the significance of October 13th?  Was that the New Yorker issue date?

I agree with you other sentiments - I love Annie's other works too - I just started Postcards

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2006, 12:04:18 AM »
Thanks Mary. I wondered about the date as well.