The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: This Forum In The News--Coverage of us in the media  (Read 147651 times)

Offline Uclapeterg

• Obsessed
Re: This Forum In The News--Coverage of us in the media
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 07:38:59 PM »
To hell with Tyra Banks.

*I* want gay cxowboys† ;) :D

I feel the same way!† :)

Offline Uclapeterg

• Obsessed
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 07:40:32 PM »
To hell with Tyra Banks.

*I* want gay cxowboys† ;) :D
I want Heath Ledger!

Get in line!† :-*

Offline hybrid

• Feet Wet
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 02:05:56 PM »
first post, although I've been reading this website & others way too obsessively the last couple of days:

It just occurred to me, that O'Reilly and the other conservative pundits who have been trashing the movie on Fox ARE Jacks father, & the guys with the tire irons.

They don't want to see the movie because they're in it, and it isn't pretty.

hybrid

Offline ALangford

• Feet Wet
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 11:54:27 PM »
I'm not sure where to ask this, but media coverage seems to be the place.  Has anyone seen new trailers for BBM since the oscar nominations were announced?  Just curious.

Anthony

desertstarlover

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2006, 02:16:22 PM »
I'm not sure where to ask this, but media coverage seems to be the place.† Has anyone seen new trailers for BBM since the oscar nominations were announced?† Just curious.

Anthony

I don't think the trailer that is on E! is new, but they have been showing it quite frequently since the nomination went out.

Bobbie

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2006, 08:11:35 AM »
Evie forwarded the folllowing to me:

http://www.afterelton.com/columns/2006/2/03.html

"Here is my fun Brokeback fact of the week: Web monitoring firm Hitwise reports that Brokeback Mountain had 57 times more searches for it than did runner-up Crash. But when you take away searches done by the folks over at DaveCullen.com, there were only 5 times as many Brokeback Mountain searches. Not that I'm saying Dave and his Brokeback Maniacs are obsessed or anything."

Offline terry

• Feet Wet
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2006, 09:37:43 AM »
  Actually, I have seen fewer advertisements for BBM since the Oscar nominations but that didn't seem to hurt its box office over the weekend.  I think the producers and Focus Features are trying to lay a little low so not to burn the country out with its promotions, which I think is a very good idea.  Just watch, for the week and a half going into the Oscars there will be a lot of campaigning.  I did notice something but the past couple of weeks.  Did anyone notice that USA Today has been degrading BBM since its win at the Golden Globes?  First, they insinuate that Walk the Line will edge BBM for best picture and now they say that people aren't interested in BBM and would rather see other movies not nominated for Oscar by showing When a Stranger Calls finishing first.  They seem to ignore the little fact that BBM has now made almost 60 million and has now surpassed Crash as the leading money maker among the five oscar nominees.  It's strange because USAToday gave BBM an excellent review but for the past few weeks,it seems they're more interested in tearing it down.  I think Bill O'Reilly must have bought the paper! 

Offline DuaneSimolke

• Virgin
  • Gay author Duane Simolke.
    • DuaneSimolke.Com
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 09:39:32 AM »
Hello! Iíve just joined and love this forum!

I live in Lubbock, Texas, and write gay movie reviews for the following site.
http://www.thisweekintexas.com/

The local paper here has printed AP stories on BBM and also a short but strictly positive movie review. Texas Tech University's student paper has printed negative and positive reactions to BBM. The movie's been here a few weeks now, and seems fairly well attended.

I loved it and have been asked to appear on a BBM panel with several other locals, including film critics. I'll post the press release separately.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 09:46:14 AM by DuaneSimolke »
Duane Simolke, author, The Acorn Stories, Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure, Holding Me Together, and New Readings of Winesburg, Ohio. http://duanesimolke.com

Offline DuaneSimolke

• Virgin
  • Gay author Duane Simolke.
    • DuaneSimolke.Com
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2006, 09:44:00 AM »
Here is the press release that went out.
I've also posted it here:
http://acornpr.blogspot.com/2006_01_29_acornpr_archive.html

--Duane

Lubbock, Texas: Brokeback Mountain Event

The Lubbock Film Society and Lubbock Interfaith Fellowship for Equality invite the public to attend ďThe View from Brokeback Mountain,Ē an evening of discussion about this important new film.

The event will be held on Saturday, February 18, at 7:00 p.m. at the Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts located at 511 Avenue K.† Admission is free.

Panelists for the program are William Kerns, A-J entertainment editor and film critic for KLLL Radio (96.3FM); James Eppler, film critic for KQBR 99.5 FM) and on-line critic for the Lubbock Film Society; Chris Caddel, local film maker; Kathryn Boren, pastor of St. Johnís United Methodist Church; Duane Simolke, author of The Acorn Stories and film critic for ThisWeekInTexas.com.† †

The panel will critique all aspects of the film, and there will be time for audience participation.

It is suggested that attendees see the movie ahead of time and, if desired, wear Brokeback Mountain western attire to the event.†

Based on a short story by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Annie Proulx, Brokeback Mountain was recently selected as Best Picture at the Golden Globes, and has received 8 Academy Awards nominations.† Film lovers, donít miss this exciting evening.

Duane Simolke, author, The Acorn Stories, Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure, Holding Me Together, and New Readings of Winesburg, Ohio. http://duanesimolke.com

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2006, 06:03:56 PM »
Calmb, on what date, exactly, did you see BBM for the first time at that Regal cinema?

Offline calmcb

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2006, 06:07:34 PM »
I believe the first time was 1/7 and went back 1/20
Leon

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »
calmcb
That scene has not appeared in any of the theaters where I saw BBM and I've seen it in 6 different theaters in LA and San Diego.
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline Ken

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2006, 06:21:30 PM »
calmcb
That scene has not appeared in any of the theaters where I saw BBM and I've seen it in 6 different theaters in LA and San Diego.
Same here. It's in the short story but not in any viewings I've had here in LA.

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2006, 06:42:22 PM »
Good God.  Calmb, are you SURE it was in January and not early December?  Not questioning your veracity, just trying to get as specific as possible. 

Offline garyd

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »
Please, I apologize.  I am not questioning your account or suggesting you should  question your own memory.  Anyway, relax, your local censor did not change the editing.  A different print was substituted by the distributor between the first and second time you saw the film.