The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: This Forum In The News--Coverage of us in the media  (Read 148205 times)

RolandC

Re: This Forum In The News--Coverage of us in the media
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2006, 07:14:58 PM »
Thank you for your concern. But I am not sensitive in that manner, I don't mind being questioned. Your questions are fair. But in light of the  other aspects; wrong theater designation, reluctance to put up reader board info still concerns me.

Don't sweat it, amigo. It's just that the print you saw sounds like it had the beginning scene of the short story, which would have made most of the film a flashback.

Interesting indeed. I wonder if it might have been edited out after the initial release on 12/9/05 due to preview feedback, or Focus Features' preference to have the story be more linear and start off with Jack and Ennis meeting for the first time, as opposed to the flashback.

Dang, will it be included as a deleted scene in the DVD...?

Offline adamblast

• Obsessed
  • that's where our hearts both belong
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2006, 07:20:21 PM »
Wow.  First time I've even heard of that scene, in my two month's obsession with this film.  I wonder why and when it was cut out?  It was definately gone by Dec 9th in the big 6-theatre opening. 

(And, of course: how odd (and lucky for you!) that a print with it still in was shown wherever you are.)

Offline hayek_uk

• Obsessed
Let us not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments

sskater

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 09:10:45 AM »

I for one am upset by one story covered today in the Edmonton Journal (Edmonton Alberta Canada). The token gestures by the media are absolutely sickening. Humilation of the GBLT community continues to be the norm. What upsets me is that some news reporters take a beautiful story and twist it into something "heterosexual". Comments like"what are you afraid of?" , I don't think it moved (a man referring to his fear getting aroused).
These newspapers also represent a view toward the GLBT communities that endorse hatred, bigotry and arrogance. Gene Shalit's a good example. He, in my opinion, upon reviewing the movie lied about what he saw because of his own personal family situation-a gay son. I saw his review as nothing more than denial about sexual orientation-this is a construct of the Jewish faith. Best be faithful huh?

sskater

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2006, 05:44:26 PM »
I was able to deal quite effectively with the authour of the article (found at the BBM site).  The province of Alberta is not a friend of the gay community. It does little to acknowledge the presence of the GLBT community. It is vitaliy important that any form of media coverage that attempts to on one level to side with the plight of the GLBT community, can similataneously be a channel for devisive, and often humilating commenst, views and passive aggressive judgements. This is part of gay history like the holocost is to the jewish community.

memememe

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 11:24:16 AM »
Hi Sskater. You might want to simmer down on that article. I think "what's his face" was just trying to be funny. As a fellow Edmontonian, I can attest to how "redneck" Albertans are. However, unless you're a visible minority and gay, you have know idea how bad the place is, even among gays. Take my advice, don't fret over it.

Offline hybrid

• Feet Wet
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2006, 09:19:13 AM »
I've looked around the site - is there any thread where people are discussing BBM humor?

I find I'm finding most of the BBM humor that I hear on TV not really offensive, just dumb. I realize most of the jokes are really expressing male heterosexual discomfort, but it is striking that the humor seems to center around the fact of homosexuality, or the fact that the main characters are supposed to be cowboys (they're really ranchhands, but thats another subject). It's almost as if the joke tellers are just snickering and jabbing you with their elbow saying "see, homos! tee hee!" or "see, homo cowboys! tee hee!". There just isn't anything really clever about any of it.

Since, unlike these guys,  I don't find that the mere mention of homosexuals or homosexual cowboys hilarious in and of itself, these jokes just seem dead.

It would be nice to hear some clever funny jokes for a change.

memememe

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2006, 11:06:25 AM »
Hey Hybrid, scroll on down the On the Lighter Side forum. Lots of funny stuff happening in there.
 :o :D

sskater

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2006, 05:22:29 PM »
Thanks Brokeaholic. I unfortunately am not as generous toward the "alberta establishment" as you are. Such a beautiful film shot around Calagary and northward too. As I wrote to Scott Mckeen @The Journal: the gay community of Alberta has been run over so many times by the Ralph Klein's government, the community can tell ya before it comes what type of tread's gonna run you over. Not enough is done there. Sadly your province just elected 65 MP's to the House of Commons. Do you now know the meaning of impact. Y'all take care. :)

dkellergrl2001

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2006, 09:23:10 AM »
My boss forwarded this email to me a couple of days ago. I thought it would be good to post it here.

A USA Today writer looking for people to talk about BBM and its cultural impact.

**11.  ENTERTAINMENT : The 'Brokeback' Phenomenon - USA Today (US)   

We are doing a story on whether 'Brokeback Mountain' is going to change the way gays are portrayed in Hollywood. Some are already hailing it as the 'Midnight Cowboy' for this generation. Certainly, it's become part of the zeitgeist. But will it last? I'm looking for experts who can reflect on how such a small movie made such a big splash, and how long the ripples will spread. No phone calls, please.

For more on this journalist: http://mediainsider2.prnewswire.com/profiles/search_detail_ind.cfm?id=1252

Offline maturben

• Obsessed
  • I am a BBM groupie/junkie.
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2006, 09:46:56 AM »
This from the Rochester, NY Democrat and Chronicle--Saturday morning:
        'Brokeback' movie to be protested
           A group of people plan to protest the movie "Brokeback Mountain" this weekend at the
        Little Theatres on East Avenue.
            The group, which calls itself Viewers Insulted by Loser Entertainment, will be at the
        theaters at 2:30 p. m. Saturday and Sunday.
             The movie "attempts to convince the American public to condone a self-centered,
        obsessive, disordered 'love' as more important than the misery inflicted on the families, wives
        and children that this 'love' affair wounds and disassembles," according to the group's news
        release.
             "Brokeback Mountain" 's plot involves two cowboys who fall in love with each other,
        marry women, have children and continue to see one another.
             The movie was just named best film at the Golden Globe Awards.

Comment from me---the acronym for the the group is VILE.

And in the same paper, different section, this movie review:
        Imagine Me & You
            Ol Parkers "Imagine Me & You" is a lightweight British romantic comedy in the overworked
       tradition of "Four Weddings and a Funeral".  This time it's one wedding and an affair, but
        you'll recognize the steady dose of very British politeness and good-natured manners.
            As the film opens, Rachel (Piper Perabo and Heck (Matthew Goode of "Match Point") are
       in the midst of their wedding.  As Rachel walks down the aisle, she locks eyes with Luce
       (Lena Headley), the lesbian in charge tof the wedding's flowers.  That single moment of
       locked vision predicts the entire film.
            Through the rest of "Imagine Me & You", all three characters attempt "to do the right
       thing" despite the obvious mis-matched passions.  Since this is abviously a romantic comedy,
       you can figure they find their way clear.  All involved allow true love to follow its course.
       It's all proper and predictable and superficial.  Oh, and the gayness is never an issue, pro or
       con.
             These amiable cross-gender romantic entanglements are more "Notting Hill" than "Broke-
       back Mountain".
              Rated R: with profanity: 93 minutes

Comment from me:  Apparently lesbianism-lite is the way to go.  But, a tragic and moving love story is anathema.  Give me a (supply your own word) break for (supply you own word) sake!

And, oh yeah, "Genny C's calf dies during labor"  (Genny C is an elephant at the city zoo.)
Looking forward to any and all replies.

"maintain a more than usually creative relationship to reality" ( a quote from Land's End by Michael Cunningham)

Offline maturben

• Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2006, 11:47:52 AM »
Hot Damn!!!!  Today's NYTimes has a full two page advert for BBM.  Hopefully it will have a big impact on viewer-ship.
"maintain a more than usually creative relationship to reality" ( a quote from Land's End by Michael Cunningham)

Offline maturben

• Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2006, 04:43:17 PM »
Evenin' folks---and again I quote from the the local paper here in Roch-cha- cha.  This squib appeared in this morning's paper on what some of us call the "Michael Jackson page":

On a final note
          George Clooney is still talking about all the weight he put on for "Syriana", then had to
      shed.  "I put it on so quickly I was anxious to get it off," he told reporters at Berlin's an-
      nual film festival.  "The depressing thing was that I could put on 35 pounds in 30 days."
      By the way, the actor director, up for three Oscars, including a supporting nod for "Syriana",
      doesn't expect to win any.  "There's been a lot of "Brokeback Mountain" stuff, he said.

Comments from me (non sequiturs, all):
     From your mouth to god's ears, George.  He is, after all, considered to be a major player in Hollywoodland.
    To all of you suffering in the nor'easter downstate:  up here in the "snow belt" it is a beautiful,
clear, full-moon "brit licht nicht."  Nanner, nanner, nanner.  From my mouth to god's (or goddess's)
ears. 
    One should take one's time in both putting/getting it off/on.
    And now it's time to put the lasagna in the oven.
    XO
    Me

Offline maturben

• Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2006, 04:55:38 PM »
The newest issue of Newsweek magazine; in the Periscope section, page 16---"Going for 'Brokeback'";  not about this forum per se, but about how the movie is filtering into our culture.  I think you can go on-line to read the article if you don't have access to the magazine.

Offline maturben

• Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2006, 10:06:23 AM »
As a follow up to a post of mine on Feb 10, please go to: www.rochester-citynews.com
Metro ink 2.15.06 'Brokeback' as propaganda

And as an interesting sidebar: City's choice: fundraisers on page 22

The paper's advert for BBM is good, too: Larry King quote, "One of the great love stories ever filmed"
In the same advert: "see the movie that all America is celebrating"

FYI City is an "alternative newsweekly", but not a gay publication