The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: This Forum In The News--Coverage of us in the media  (Read 206501 times)

Offline SquallCloud

• Austin and Jake Fan
  • Obsessed
  • We did the impossible, and that makes us mighty.
    • Bedroom Behavior: The Friction In Their Jeans (My Fic)
Re: This Forum In The News--Coverage of us in the media
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2006, 05:32:54 PM »
tyra banks show is a garbage
ive seen one of her show
i dont know if i should laugh or throw my tv outside the porch
its all about being go girl mode  ???
what the heck....

anyway the show might change my perspective since theyre putting real gay cowboy out there.
im hope this is not just pretending similar to YMCA or not their afro american producer

theres gay cowboy out there allright
how bout gay, eskimos. i think that would be hard

Please don't diss my girlfriend. It hurts my feelings. Okay, so she's got terrible interviewing skills. I don't really need her to interview me. NEW FANTASY: I was all Beyonce/ Jake threesome... I'm changing it to Tyra/Jakey cause for some reason I think she'd be hella fun in bed plus she's a fucking Amazon!

Offline paulh

• cool, calm, and distracted
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2006, 08:32:35 AM »
<<This from the Rochester, NY Democrat and Chronicle--Saturday morning:
        'Brokeback' movie to be protested
           A group of people plan to protest the movie "Brokeback Mountain" this weekend at the
        Little Theatres on East Avenue.>>

Hi, Maturben.

Whenever I hear about groups of people protesting a movie, I get a very strong urge to defy them and go see it anyway. I've done exactly that a few times, and would have done it with BBM if anybody in my area had protested it. I've seen it three times anyway, and the biggest problem has been finding a place to park, and an empty seat in the theater.

Annie Proulx has said, in effect, that young men who are insecure about their sexuality are likely to resist going to see BBM. If Ennis and Jack were real people, they might resist, too. The movie will make some people very uncomfortable. We're going to continue hearing negative vibes about BBM from people have not seen, and never will see the movie they're trashing.   :( It's not a just world, but it can't be fixed, and....well, you know the rest. ;)
The idea of Jake as invisible
Is amusing, my friends, if not risible.
Wherever he goes,
Nearly everyone knows
That he's Jake Gyllenhaal, indivisible ;-)

Offline DuaneSimolke

• Virgin
  • Gay author Duane Simolke.
    • DuaneSimolke.Com
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2006, 10:21:28 AM »
Lubbock, Texas: On Saturday, February 18, I had the honor of appearing on the panel discussion The View from Brokeback Mountain, here in Lubbock, at the Louise Hopkins Underwood Center for the Arts. Two groups sponsored the event. One of those groups, the Lubbock Film Society, fosters local filmmaking and local interest in low budget or independent movies. The other group, Lubbock Interfaith Fellowship for Equality, works to promote inclusion and justice for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people.

Well over a hundred people attended the event. Though scheduled to last an hour, it went over two hours.

I had already seen and loved the movie. To prepare for the panel, I read the book <a href=http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfmid=2181&sourceid=39740207&bfpid=0743294165&bfmtype=book target="Resource Window">Brokeback Mountain: Story to Screenplay[/url] and explored the discussion boards at <a href=http://AnnieProulx.Com target="Resource Window">AnnieProulx.Com[/url], <a href=http://www.ennisjack.com/ target="Resource Window">EnnisJack.Com[/url], <a href=http://www.davecullen.com/brokebackmountain/ target="Resource Window">DaveCullen.Com[/url], <a href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brokeback-mountain/ target="Resource Window">Yahoo! Groups: brokeback-mountain[/url], and <a href=http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/Gay_Cinema/ target="Resource Window">Yahoo! Groups: Gay Cinema[/url].

As with those online discussions, the panel featured a variety of views on the movie and its themes. The same continued when moderator Grace Rogers opened the discussion to the audience. While much disagreement occurred, no one disagreed with the importance of Brokeback Mountain and its themes. More importantly, I never heard anyone make a single homophobic remark! It was an engaging discussion, but still left much to say, and left many eager for more such events.

I appreciate Grace, the other panelists, and the two groups for letting me take part, and all those other people who came out to discuss this thought-provoking film. To read more about gay-related events in Lubbock, please read my Rainbow: Lubbock online newsletter.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 01:56:17 PM by DuaneSimolke »
Duane Simolke, author, The Acorn Stories, Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure, Holding Me Together, and New Readings of Winesburg, Ohio. http://duanesimolke.com

Offline Groch

• Experienced
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2006, 10:31:37 AM »
OUR SITE FEATURED IN NEW JERSEY PAPER:
We're the focus of the paper's Sunday mag cover story

KANTBLUE found this originally with a post on the Brokeback Fever group but as it includes is an interview with Dave and a link to our forum I am cross posting here.

The New Jersey based Courier Post's Sunday Magazine Living Section is dedicated to BBM this week. It includes 4 articles The lead article "Moved by Brokeback Mountain" focuses on the impact the movie is having on people nation-wide and includes an interview with Dave Cullen and links to our family here.  Another article entitled "Real Life Cowboys Offer Hope to young man Growing up gay" is a really touching story that is like many of the stories listed here.

There is also an "Are you a Brokeaholic Quiz". It appears this is all new stuff as it is all dated today, but perhaps that is just how their site works.   Here is the link to the main Living section: http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SJMAG   I have updtated the link as of 02/20 because the old one did not work. Let me know if this one dies.

The author Robert Baxter replyed to my note.  He already hangs out here and we all owe him our thanks.

Duane Simolke: You have our thanks as well.  It sounds like it was a very well attended and impactful discussion deep in the heart of Texas.  Its beginning to look like Brokebacks friends and family are doing their part to make sure the impact of this movie has some real legs.

Note from Dave Cullen, appending to this post, so I can add key details and link to it from elsewhere:

The Courier piece also included other members of our family here, including Karin Dicker, a true brokebackaholic who emails me several bbm links a day. She is the first person quoted in the story. I'm not sure who else was included, but we spent a lot of time with the writer, who was a great guy.

The Courier is part of the huge Gannet chain, and the piece is also being made available to all the other papers, so please keep an eye out for it and alert us. Thanks.

(Note: I also added the color headline to the top of this post.)

And the direct link to the piece featuring us is:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060219/SJMAG/602190336/1067

dave
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 07:11:18 PM by Dave Cullen »
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."- MLK

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2006, 04:26:10 PM »
There is also an "Are you a Brokeaholic Quiz". It appears this is all new stuff as it is all dated today, but perhaps that is just how their site works.   Here is the link to the main Living section: http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=LIVING

I took the quiz.  Out of the 10 questions, I answered yes to 7 of them.  lmao

Offline Uclapeterg

• Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2006, 07:48:26 PM »
There is also an "Are you a Brokeaholic Quiz". It appears this is all new stuff as it is all dated today, but perhaps that is just how their site works.   Here is the link to the main Living section: http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=LIVING

ouch! that's scary!  :-*

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2006, 07:52:46 PM »

stop teasing me.....   :'(    ;)    :-*

like you wouldn't score just as high.

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2006, 08:29:31 PM »

Well, I scored a 6 but I've been thinking about a coffee mug ... ;)
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »
i only got a 3, i must not be the real thing.  or i have no discretionary income...

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

RolandC

« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2006, 08:50:28 PM »
i only got a 3, i must not be the real thing.  or i have no discretionary income...

jack

Heh -- they should have added a bonus question:

Did you bid on the shirts?

That would have been a surefire tip-off

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2006, 09:55:32 PM »

jack

Heh -- they should have added a bonus question:

Did you bid on the shirts?

That would have been a surefire tip-off

lmao!!!

Offline Uclapeterg

• Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2006, 10:33:43 PM »

stop teasing me.....   :'(    ;)    :-*

like you wouldn't score just as high.

Funny you should ask. I scored a 2.  :P :-*

Offline Groch

• Experienced
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2006, 10:55:21 AM »
RE: The great Courier Post articles - I have updated the link on my original post as the old one that you are quoting no longer works.

Here it is again: http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SJMAG

RE: Brokeaholic Quiz.

The quiz is really really tough, I only scored a 2 as well, but give me time.

One of the two I scored was: "Have you bought cans of beans for the first time in years after seeing Ennis and Jake cook them over a campfire?"   I sure did, I even did a web search to see if the BetterMost brand was available.  No such luck, but there is a business opportunity there.

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."- MLK

Offline Rob.

• Obsessed
  • ...it should be like this, just like this, always!
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2006, 11:20:53 AM »
 7/10

But could score myself a 10 on technicalities (or just pretend I'm a French judge  :P)  Already been to both Wyoming (once) and Alberta (Multiple times) but actually have been planning to go back to Wyoming long before the movie came out.  No need to buy beans as my father makes a mean plate?  pot?  pan?  of baked beans and always have some in the fridge - and I'd seriously buy the mugs just to give me a 10 :)!

Rob
.....Nothin never come to my hand the right way.

Offline justaguy

• Feet Wet
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2006, 04:17:11 PM »
The letter appeared in the Edmonton Journal newspaper today. Edmonton is the capital of Alberta, where Brokeback was shot. The author is a former equal gay rights activist.

Brokeback Mountain: Govt loves the scenery, but not the lifestyle

Re: "Movie a cash cow for Alberta? Tourism promoters drooling over Broke­back Mountain's impact," Travel, Feb. 11.

The hypocrisy flowed generously from this article.

Suddenly, with the tremendous success of Brokeback Mountain, the Alberta government does an about-face when it realizes the potential tourism income to be generated.

Are Premier Ralph Klein, Economic Development Minister Clint Dunford et al welcoming the world to "gay-friendly" Alberta?

Oh yes, do bring your millions of tourist dollars. We will not tell anyone we spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to do our best to deny equality rights to gay and lesbian Albertans and their families.

It's ironic how Brokeback Mountain so vividly illustrates the same systemic discrimination that we have seen displayed by government leaders right here where the movie was filmed.

In a very typical made-in-Alberta moment, Alberta Tourism spokesperson Derek Coke-Kerr shied away from questions about the homosexual storyline of the movie, yet welcomes everyone to the splendour of our province.

In Alberta, gay bashing is still a reality; ongoing refusals of grant monies and the lack of funding for HIV/AIDS groups, at a time when heterosexual women are very much at risk, are the current political realities.

This powerful movie continues to play out here in Alberta and across the country.

Still, some gay men and lesbians continue to live out their lives in heterosexual relationships for all the reasons that Brokeback so graphically illustrates.

Why, you ask? Because of the very attitude this government has historically displayed.

If you are married to a member of the opposite sex, do not assume your partner is 100-per-cent heterosexual. In my volunteer work, I know there are many who currently live this way.

In closing let me say with pride, come visit us. I know the citizens of Alberta are so much more than our government will ever be.

The vast majority of us welcome everyone, and I mean everyone, to our beautiful province.

Murray Billett, Edmonton