The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay bashing  (Read 159843 times)

Offline dsmom

• lynxkitten
  • Obsessed
Re: Gay bashing
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2006, 11:55:35 AM »
Hey Michael...I asked Nick about this thread....he had archived it...I guess he decided to bring it back out...

I had a long pm yesterday from a friend in the UK about that bashing he asked me to post it here for him...then I couldn't find it so I posted it instead up in the" How we are percieved in the media" thread...I am thinking about bringing it down here though...
There is the light and the dark and all things that live have the power to choose...

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2006, 12:15:52 PM »
i can't bring myself to catalog these incidents, it depresses me so terribly to do so, but a new york performer, kevin aviance, was severely beaten in nyc a few days ago, and at least some of the perps have been arrested.

jack   
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Nick_F

« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2006, 03:08:36 PM »
I hadn't archived it, don't know why it was in the archive. nevertheless it ain't anymore!

Offline dsmom

• lynxkitten
  • Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2006, 03:11:39 PM »
i can't bring myself to catalog these incidents, it depresses me so terribly to do so, but a new york performer, kevin aviance, was severely beaten in nyc a few days ago, and at least some of the perps have been arrested.

jack   

I read about that wasn't he supposed to be in charge of some of the Gay Pride activities? and they broke is jaw...so he can't perform...
There is the light and the dark and all things that live have the power to choose...

Offline dsmom

• lynxkitten
  • Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2006, 06:34:16 PM »
friend has asked me to post this

There's a very interesting thing that's happening here in the UK tonight - mixed feelings about it. The top story on all the news is the conviction and sentencing of two men who battered a 24 year old gay man to death last year in London because he was gay. The key thing is that they have been given more severe sentences - life with a minimum tariff of 26 years in prison - precisely because their motivation was homophobia under new hate crime laws that compel judges to impose more severe sentences on crimes which have a proven element of hate crime motivation such as racist and homophobic crime.

The very high profile that has been given to it - and the very lucid, moving statement from the victim's mother, denouncing her son's death and all homophobic crimes committed 'just because a someone is homosexual' shows a real shift in recognising the unacceptability of anti-gay violence in the UK. The police are stressing over and over that they will take a particularly severe line over anti-gay crime and strongly encouraging people to report.

I thought of your pm a few days ago about the man repeatedly stabbed to death and how his killer got away with it over there. This is a really good contrast. It has made me fee both proud of the shift in attitude over here and very upset by the brutal and horrible way that young man died.

His mother was so strong and clear and proud of him on the TV, Jess. All her family were around her and she didn't cry but spoke very vividly.

This is what his mother said:

'In a statement, his family thanked the police, medical staff, victim support groups, witnesses, the judge and prosecution team and all those who had ensured "justice was served".

"In a free and democratic society, Jody's murder was an outrage," they said.

"Jody was not the first man to be killed, or terrorised, or beaten, or humiliated for being homosexual - or for being perceived to be homosexual.

"Tragically, he will not be the last man to suffer the consequences of homophobia which is endemic in this society.

"This is unacceptable. We cannot accept this. No intelligent, healthy or reasonable society could."

It's a good feeling that it's the absolute top news story on TV, very clear that the killers are the ones in the wrong, no hint of criticism because the murder took place in a well-know gay cruising area. And lots of publicity about the extra severity of sentencing because of the new hate crime laws. As well as being upsetting it did make me feel proud of our country and how it's moved forward.

It was interesting that the news story gave figures about rising figures as the gay community becomes more confident and visible gay bashings increase. It's hard to know if that's because of the police encouraging more reporting or if the incidence is rising. The story was very clear that a lot of incidents go unreported.

We (our programme) funds a project which acts as a third party reporting body for gay people experiencing violence and does work in schools against homophobic bullying. We're involved in developoing a Hate Crime Strategy in Bristol with the police etc. They have police officers appointed to work with gay people too. It's come a long way.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2006, 07:09:17 PM »

jack

I read about that wasn't he supposed to be in charge of some of the Gay Pride activities? and they broke is jaw...so he can't perform...

Thanks for posting this, jack.  I hadn't heard of that.

Kevin is a dance artist.  He's released two cds, "Box of Chocolates" and "Entity".

His songs "Din Da Da", "Rhythm Is My Bitch", "Alive" have all hit the dance/club play charts in Billboard magazine.  His biggest hit to date is "Give It Up", off his "Entity" cd.  It was released in 2004, and the song got heavy airplay on dance station 103.5 WKTU, getting into their Top 8 at 8 countdown.

Offline A****

• Feet Wet
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2006, 12:09:44 AM »
Here is a link to a story about Kevin Aviance:

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=905

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2006, 05:11:17 PM »
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2006, 05:13:42 PM »
Here is a link to a story about Kevin Aviance:

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=905

Thanks for posting this here - I always forget to check the B.A.R.'s electronic site for these things.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2006, 12:19:29 AM »
Don't know if anyone saw this about the books being burned in a Chicago library:

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/06/062006chicfire.htm

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2006, 09:21:25 PM »
Here's one on cars with rainbow stickers being vandalized in Des Moines, IA:

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/06/062606desmoines.htm

Offline Texas_Girl

• Expert
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2006, 09:42:13 PM »
I'm sure you guys heard of the death of the two soldiers last week. Well, one of them was from my hometown (Menchaca).  I was shocked and disgusted today after hearing a teacher talk about this morning's newspaper. Apparently, the headline was dedicated to this group of people planning on protesting the soldier's funeral. I dont have a copy of the article from my hometown but there is a similar article here, this one is talking about the Tucker funeral:

http://www.ktvz.com/story.cfm?nav=news&storyID=13967

Basically, the group is protesting against homosexuals. And sure, neither soldier WAS homosexual but that doesn't seem to mean anything to them. They are just taking this "oh so perfect" moment to protest against the United States and their disapproval of homosexuality. I was planning on attending the funeral, as it is very close to where I live, but after hearing about this I decided not to. There was another group of people also planning on attending the funeral to protect Menchaca's family.  The group offering protection is a group of bikers who oddly seem more compassionate than this other group from Kansas. Either way, its just too much drama for me. I don't want to particpate in this kind of spectacle.

As you can see by the signs in the articles, God hates America and Gays. Right.

Oh, and this is my favorite quote from these morons:

"We humbly pray to God to please kill many more..."   

What a bunch of ignorant people. How they can honestly think they are doing God's work is beyond me.

**********(¨`·.·´¨)
******(¨`·.·´¨).¸..(¨`·.·´¨)
(¨`·.·´*·. ¸.·´ ** `·.¸.·´ `·.·´¨)
  Ennis del Mar & Jack Twist
*******(¨`·.·´¨) (¨`·.·´¨)
********`·.¸(¨`·.·´¨)..·´
***********`·.¸.·´ 

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2006, 10:01:24 PM »
Hi Texas Girl,

Yes, I am familiar with Westboro Baptist Church and their minister Fred Phelps.  His reason for sending protestors to the funerals of servicemen is that he believes that the United States is a decadant and morally bankrupt nation (and that our 'permissive' attitude toward homosexuality is one of our greatest sins).  He believe that god is punishing the United States for that attitude.  Here is one of his hymns:

God hates America! Home of the fags!
    He abhors them, deplores them,
    Day and night, all His might, all His days,
    From her mountain, to her prairie
    To her oceans, white with foam,
    God hates America! The perverts' home!
    God hates America! The perverts' home!

Here is the entry from wikipedia on Fred Phelps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

Oh, just so you don't feel that he's singling us out, he believes god hates Canada and Sweden too.  God apparently has a lot of hate in him.

If you should want to go to his site (and I really wouldn't advise it unless you want to let this sort of trash into your life) it is: godhatesfags.com

He's featured in the new film 'Small Town Gay Bar' as he is from Tupelo, Ms. and one of the gay bars is there.  The director said that interviewing him is like talking to a cross between your kindly old grandfather and Hitler.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2006, 08:41:56 AM »
What a bunch of ignorant people. How they can honestly think they are doing God's work is beyond me.

It seems to me that when one gets to the point that one is telling God how He should think and react, one no longer thinks himself bound by any form of conventional morality.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Jer009

• Obsessed
  • Jack and Ennis...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2006, 12:54:53 AM »
As to the Phelps crowd, I think it's very telling that the government has banned those haters from military funerals only recently... Where were those concerned citizens when Phelps was protesting people who have died of AIDS? It seems that protesting AIDS funerals is OK, because "They deserved what they got" or "They were sinners". But when it came to the military, whoa, that's another story. Our brave men and women deserve respect!

Oh...and the mourners who lost a family member to AIDS, they DESERVE to be picketed with signs that say vile, ugly slurs on them at the very moment they're grieving? This administration turns a blind eye to what it doesn't want to see. If the Phelps crowd was only picketing AIDS funerals again and not military ones, there would have been no action taken, in spite of the horrendous things those signs say.