The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay bashing  (Read 158655 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: Gay bashing
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2006, 01:05:52 AM »
As to the Phelps crowd, I think it's very telling that the government has banned those haters from military funerals only recently... Where were those concerned citizens when Phelps was protesting people who have died of AIDS? It seems that protesting AIDS funerals is OK, because "They deserved what they got" or "They were sinners". But when it came to the military, whoa, that's another story. Our brave men and women deserve respect!

Oh...and the mourners who lost a family member to AIDS, they DESERVE to be picketed with signs that say vile, ugly slurs on them at the very moment they're grieving? This administration turns a blind eye to what it doesn't want to see. If the Phelps crowd was only picketing AIDS funerals again and not military ones, there would have been no action taken, in spite of the horrendous things those signs say.

And don't forget, they have those same hideous vigils outside of the funeral of gay bashing victims too - they did it when Matthew Shephard died and the did it again when Scotty Joe Weaver was killed:

http://www.queerday.com/2004/oct/19/gay_murder_victim_scotty_joe_weaver_latest_phelps_target.html
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2006, 06:03:13 PM »
Okay, now this is rich.  :o  Apparently the raid that NM police did on a gay gym referred to the sexual activities going on in the gym despite the fact that they were purportedly being busted for liquor violations.  And they couldn't send in undercover officers because they were afraid of 'sexual assault'!!!  Yeesh.  Wrong in so many ways:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/po/20060715/co_po/nmgymraidwarrantofficersfearedsexualassault
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2006, 11:11:24 PM »
We are working on the end of 'The Front Runner' over in the Book Club, which has definite connections to this thread.  In relation to that I put together a post on the politics of murdering gay people:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=12775.msg545088#msg545088

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2006, 11:47:13 PM »
You are so right, Michael.  'Why' just doesn't have an answer or a reason, even now, 27 years later..... :'(

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2006, 12:31:04 AM »
You are so right, Michael.  'Why' just doesn't have an answer or a reason, even now, 27 years later..... :'(

I'm so sorry Glenn.  And you're right.

Nick_F

« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2006, 05:10:12 AM »
bump

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2006, 03:52:03 PM »
For people who are visiting San Francisco, this is probably something important to know.  We have recently had a series of assaults in the Castro district and they have been even more disturbing than usual as they have been sexual.  Here is an article from the San Francisco Chronicle about the neighborhood watch program that has happened as a response to this:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/11/18/MNGVBMFMES1.DTL

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2006, 06:44:09 PM »
Dave has an important announcement about the forum, which he asks all members to read:

http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=18085.msg602098#msg602098

We have set up a thread to discuss the situation. That discussion thread is linked from the post directly below the message from Dave. Follow the above link and you'll get to both.

Thanks
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2006, 07:46:22 PM »
This is a disturbing example of what happens when Church and state collude in homophobia:

http://news.independent.co.uk/europe/article2029283.ece

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
Here's a great essay by an 11 year old standing up to bashers:

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/14_04/bash144.shtml

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2006, 07:57:59 PM »
And in case you think it just happens in New Mexico, here's a case from Harvard:

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=514537

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2006, 08:02:12 PM »
This case blew me away - these guys attacked people leaving the Gay Pride celebration in San Diego:

http://www.gay.com/news/article.html?2006/09/25/5

271horses

« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2006, 01:57:01 PM »
I'm one of the few guys who does Brokeback Slash, and just did a 100-page plus piece on the background of the characters of Earl and Rich, the childhood neighbors of Ennis del Mar.
If you remember both the story and film have as a pivotal moment, Ennis telling Jack they can't be together because this is what happens to men that try and have that sweet life: one of them ends up dead in a ditch, likely put there by Ennis's own father.

I started writing my piece in large part due to a study that published its results last spring, and as a response to speculation on the Slash thread on what kind of man takes his sons to see the body of a murdered gay man.
My response: a man with deep-seated personal issues of his own.

Made a pretty in-depth study of my own into the subject of homophobic violence, what triggers it, who does it, the circumstances, and turned up exactly nothing that surprised me.

Most of my friends are straight guys, pretty accepting, though one or two have admitted discomfort at the sight of 2 guys getting busy, none of them would cross town, or even the street to watch a gay pride parade, let alone expending the energy to dragging the gear around these protestors do, all over the country, every June, to make their opinion heard.
Because like average straight guys everywhere, THEY DON'T CARE.

Obviously People like Fred Phelps do care.  A lot.  In a country where our military is embroiled in a civil war threatening to spill over the borders, where most folks can't afford a house or an education for their kids, where even the most dedicated conservative has to admit the environment is likely the most pressing issue facing humanity today, the prospect of John Doe and Joe Schmoe getting married is their Number One Most Pressing Issue that Civilization Hinges Upon.
And you don't need to be a shrink to see the underpinnings of all this.

A gaybasher is a guy who is SO INTERESTED in homosexuality that he risks serious injury, death, arrest, prison, and the loss of all his freedoms as a citizen to go to some area where there are homosexuals and express his rage toward them.  Because he hates how he can't stop thinking on it. He has to do something to prove he ain't...you know.  Because he thinks that's what everyone is thinkng of him.  Because that's what he's thinking, all the friggin time.

Other than the suppressed homosexual desire, which I reiterate is NO SURPRISE to any man that ever lived in the closet, I found other elements were usually present, alcohol or other form of liquid or powdered courage; the mob mentality, those buddies you need to prove yourself to, the numbers to provide the safety, in case that little trannie turns out to be a, whoops, better fighter than you thought.  Who knows what dynamics might exist between members of that group? Re-read above paragraph, multiply by whatever.

Final ingredient, always present: cowardice.
The targets are always outnumbered, or prevented from responding aggressively (Fred Phelp's freedom of speech is always protected by a barricade of strapping cops).
A guy in the nearest big metropolitan area to me was jumped by half a dozen guys who had their GIRLFRIENDS standing by with the engine running in the truck a block from a freeway on-ramp.
Matthew Shephard, a little bitty guy, on his own against a pack of rabid tweakers, out in the middle of nowhere.

Funny thing, I never been gaybashed.  Never been called a fag. The neighbors in my rural, rednecky area pretty much all know about me, but I never had any trouble though I know it ain't because they're all so enlightened.  Most are, but there's a few, there always are.
Because when you're 6'3", 225, look like an undercover cop, drive a truck with military stickers on it that folks see parked at the shooting range now and then, see the gun racks there in the fall, for some reason, they see the wisdom in living and letting live and keeping your piehole shut.

It's so much easier to hear the call to arms when the enemy is five-foot-three, all on his own on a deserted street, and unlike to have a(legally licensed, concealed) 9mm under the driver's seat.

But grim as it looks, the attitudes have changed, the cops do keep stats on these incidents, which contributed a lot of the raw data for the study described above. 
I know personally, in the Army, guys go to the brig now for attacks that wouldn't of even got reported a generation ago, end up doing time in military prisons where there is no revolving-door parole.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:08:24 PM by 271horses »

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2006, 02:58:01 PM »
Funny thing, I never been gaybashed.  Never been called a fag. The neighbors in my rural, rednecky area pretty much all know about me, but I never had any trouble though I know it ain't because they're all so enlightened.  Most are, but there's a few, there always are.
Because when you're 6'3", 225, look like an undercover cop, drive a truck with military stickers on it that folks see parked at the shooting range now and then, see the gun racks there in the fall, for some reason, they see the wisdom in living and letting live and keeping your piehole shut.

It's so much easier to hear the call to arms when the enemy is five-foot-three, all on his own on a deserted street, and unlike to have a(legally licensed, concealed) 9mm under the driver's seat.

But grim as it looks, the attitudes have changed, the cops do keep stats on these incidents, which contributed a lot of the raw data for the study described above. 
I know personally, in the Army, guys go to the brig now for attacks that wouldn't of even got reported a generation ago, end up doing time in military prisons where there is no revolving-door parole.

Hey there - thanks for posting.  Would you please post a link to your slash story?

If you've read this thread you know that I've been involved in several bashing incidents.  About half in Michigan, half in California - where I now live.  I'm talking about adult cases.  Over in the 'surviving abuse' thread I mentioned that in high school I had people try to take me on and once you respond physically they usually stop.  I agree with you wholeheartedly that for the most part these people are chickens.

For my part I believe it is very important to make people aware that this sort of thing still goes on.  I was kind of stunned when I read the article about the people guys attacking people after gay pride in San Diego.  And I don't know if you're aware of it, but there has recently been a rash of sexual assaults in the Castro that are bashing related - the individuals involved stole from the victims then raped them. 

You're right about statistics - it's very important that they are kept.  Of course the reason that they are kept is because community groups began to fight this - much like community groups began to fight domestic violence.

One of the important organizations that I often report these incidents to is CUAV - Community United Against Violence:

http://www.cuav.org/about.php