The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay bashing  (Read 156567 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: Gay bashing
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2007, 06:05:52 AM »
Just an fyi that the fallout over the Yale bashing case continues:

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=1487

There are two things interesting to me about this - one is that people are surprised that this sort of thing goes on in San Francisco (it does, there are just way more of us, so it gets spread out) and two that you can go just a short way away from urban gay centers (these kids were less than 10 miles from the Castro) and get this sort of response.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2007, 04:33:04 AM »
Regarding 'that's so Gay' - I actually heard a mindless sports fan reprimand another for using the word 'faggot' in the underground the other day - said 'dude, don't drop f-bombs'. Progress comes in little steps.

eeehh!~! well in SF, i can imagine that perhaps he was worried that they themselves might get beat up! ;) by a savage group of pissed off queens! :D

regarding reporting hate crimes -- yes. i guess it's like seeing/hearing the sound (or threat) of child or spousal abuse -- don't look the other way -- a life can be saved.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  Ang Lee

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2007, 04:37:40 AM »
Just an fyi that the fallout over the Yale bashing case continues:

http://www.ebar.com/news/article.php?sec=news&article=1487

There are two things interesting to me about this - one is that people are surprised that this sort of thing goes on in San Francisco (it does, there are just way more of us, so it gets spread out) and two that you can go just a short way away from urban gay centers (these kids were less than 10 miles from the Castro) and get this sort of response.

yes, like nearby concord, where men in klu klux klan outfits were seen driving around in a truck the weekend my friend tim was murdered. UGH. and then the police cover up -- they "accidentally" burned his clothes and backpack.  evidence -- "poof" -- gone. then his murder was ruled a suicide since he was found hanging from a tree outside the bart station.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2007, 01:32:04 PM »
yes, like nearby concord, where men in klu klux klan outfits were seen driving around in a truck the weekend my friend tim was murdered. UGH. and then the police cover up -- they "accidentally" burned his clothes and backpack.  evidence -- "poof" -- gone. then his murder was ruled a suicide since he was found hanging from a tree outside the bart station.

I remember when that happened!  And I remember the controversy.  Here's more on the Yale thing and how 'that's so gay' is related to homophobia (even though people try to say it is not now):

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/01/26/MNGMHNPLCM1.DTL

I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2007, 04:04:32 AM »
thanks for the article updates, michael.

Aziz, the 18-year-old son of a New York investment banker, said he apologized.

Aziz said he had only one beer while at the party. Fairman said almost everyone was drinking alcohol that guests had brought to the party. "We are college kids, and drinking is part of our lives."

well! alcohol again! makes me think of all the whisky up on brokeback. ;)

somebody toward the end of the article mentioned that boys sometimes fighting is "...natural though unfortunate."

yes.... too unfortunate in many cases... :P

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2007, 02:57:41 PM »
This was what got me:

Fairman recalled the uninvited guest being annoyed and announcing, "This is the gayest s -- I ever heard. What a bunch of fags."

It was out in the Richmond - which is also where the Fajitagate thing happened.  Sort of our own little Brighton Beach or South Boston.

Offline shelber

• skilled at slacking
  • Obsessed
  • had the greatest 2 weeks
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2007, 05:29:40 AM »
a co-worker told me today that her friend, he is gay, here in little old grande prairie alberta, is in the hospital after 2 men jumped him outside one of the bars and beat the hell out of him. which again is another reason for me not to come out...yet.

i almost threw up
So I'm going home,
Back to the place where I belong,
And where your love has always been enough for me.~ daughtry

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2007, 09:34:36 PM »
a co-worker told me today that her friend, he is gay, here in little old grande prairie alberta, is in the hospital after 2 men jumped him outside one of the bars and beat the hell out of him. which again is another reason for me not to come out...yet.

i almost threw up

Yeah, I heard that Alberta is pretty rough.  Sounds like it's time for people to walk around in groups of more than one outside the bar there.  This used to happen where I come from in the midwest - I haven't heard of anything recently, but then again, most of my friends back there are a little older and don't go out to bars that much.

I had two friends who were robbed at gunpoint (sawed off shotgun, as a matter of fact) in the parking lot of a bar in Detroit.  And then another friend was attacked with a screwdriver (stabbed) outside of one of my friends homes in Detroit.  This was a while ago, however.

You should only come out to people you feel comfortable with - and only when you want to.  Your safetly is far more important that anything else.  You don't want to wind up politically correct in the hospital.

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2007, 09:18:28 AM »
Wasn't Alberta the one province that had to be forced to accept the federal marriage statute and tried to opt out of recognizing same sex marriages?

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2007, 10:31:50 AM »
Wasn't Alberta the one province that had to be forced to accept the federal marriage statute and tried to opt out of recognizing same sex marriages?

There were 4 places in Canada that had to be forced - Alberta, Prince Edward Island, Nunavut and Northwest Territories.  So yeah, it kind of lags behind.

Offline shelber

• skilled at slacking
  • Obsessed
  • had the greatest 2 weeks
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2007, 04:01:53 AM »

yes alberta was one...sigh...

alberta is such a conservative country, it would take a life time to convince it that world is indeed round...i was actually surprised that the province let broke back be filmed here.

there are 2 places in alberta that you may not get jumped if you are gay, that is calgary, but only in certain spots of the city, and jasper.
So I'm going home,
Back to the place where I belong,
And where your love has always been enough for me.~ daughtry

Offline All4one

• Expert
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2007, 05:36:15 AM »
Michael, I read that article and one thing that jumps out at me is the irresponsible behavior of the parents of the girls who had the party. They should have been home.
"One's enough"  A.P.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2007, 12:17:16 PM »
Michael, I read that article and one thing that jumps out at me is the irresponsible behavior of the parents of the girls who had the party. They should have been home.

You sure are right about that.  Occasionally we have boondoggles in San Francisco that involve the police (the last one was called 'Fajitagate' where the cops got in a fight outside of a bar).  This looks like it is going to turn into that sort of thing.  It's a perfect storm of stupidity - drunk teens, irresponsible parents and cops not doing their jobs.  So the homophobia/gay bashing is just another element of this story.  And, of course, there's a little inter-town rivalry going on between Boston and San Francisco too.

But the one thing that I noticed right away was the use of 'gay' in the way it is supposedly used now  (i.e., not connected to homosexuality) immediately followed by the use of 'fag' - it put to lie the whole notion that the word has changed that much. 

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »
i don't think john aravosis will mind my quoting him..

72-year old Gay bashing victim dies from injuries
by Joe Sudbay (DC) 2/23/2007 10:42:00 PM ET
Discuss this post here: Comments (145) digg it reddit FARK Link

Earlier this week, Andy at Towleroad made us aware of the brutal and senseless gay bashing of a 72 year old resident of Detroit. Today, the victim, Andrew Anthos, died from his injuries:
Though Anthos, 72, was visiting with friends as recently as Wednesday, his condition declined rapidly in the past two days and he was administered the last rites late Thursday in Detroit Receiving Hospital.

The attack, which left Anthos paralyzed from the neck down and virtually without speech, shocked the gay community, which reached out to his family with love and support -- as well as anger and a resolve for justice.

"There's going to be a great deal more attention now that this, unfortunately, has become a homicide," said Jeffrey Montgomery of Michigan's Triangle Foundation.

"We have worked with prosecutors here for many years, and all the buttons that can be pushed are being pushed right now," Montgomery said.
Don't tell us hate crimes don't matter. Don't tell us we don't need protections. Don't tell us we need to move on. Don't tell us that while members of our community are still being bashed. And, don't be mistaken: We're still not safe in America

after over 40 years of seeing and reading about this, i am very tired of it and very angry.  especially when the courts, when they do act,  give lighter sentences for killing a gay man than killing someone else.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:56:06 PM by jack »
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2007, 01:12:39 PM »
Thanks Jack.  I just read about this.  I was talking with someone in Bay City and trying to explain that even though 'fag' is thrown around as a all-purpose put down, that sometimes it really is about sexuality.  A little over a year ago I had someone on public transit ask me if I was gay (this was on a Saturday morning at about 7 am) and then start on a tirade about how he was going to beat me the next time he saw me.  The person was clearly not well balanced, but whether or not someone is sane isn't the issue.  Gay bashing exists.  Crazy people do it and sane evil people do it.  Just like antisemitic and racist attacks still happen.  And it's been at least 2000 years for the antisemitic attacks.  I (sadly) don't think we'll see this sort of thing go away.

I was talking with one of the forum members in Bay City and she was telling me about her self-defense classes.  I fully intend to take one when I get back to S.F. and encourage everyone to.  As this attack shows it doesn't matter what age we are, we can't always expect to be respected.  And we must take care of ourselves to continue the fight.