The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Gay bashing  (Read 159194 times)

Offline louisev

• Membership_deactivated.
  • Obsessed
Re: Gay bashing
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 02:14:38 AM »
Whew!  I guess I really WASN'T alone when I was duking it out in the "Were they gay" thread.  My heart goes out to everyone who has suffered from crimes against gays, and now I feel a sort of minor sense of pride for standing up alone against the "virtually nil" camp who said gay bashing incidents are so rare as to be insignificant.  I know that isn't true.  I only wish that others who still believe "It's unimportant" could read the messages from those who lost friends, acquaintances, loved ones, or have watched them be beaten, or have been targeted by homophobic cops... to sensitize them to a very real and very dangerous American reality.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 04:43:20 AM »
louise, i popped in and popped right back out on the other thread, but i got a feel, from one page, what was going on. thank you for your support and for standing up for yourself, and for others!

anyway -- gay bashing, even if it's one person a year, is significant.  but it's all over and all to often, and like i said before, most of it probably isn't reported.

then there's the levels of gaybashing. the subtle stuff, name calling, the spraypainted "HOMO" or "FAG" on the doors of gay men or their cars, the slashed tires...  we had two tires slashed in antioch, california. i don't know why really, but the guys that did it were "toughs" and we were outnumbered, so there was nothing we could do. did i call the police? no. i was a teenager or just 20... sometimes you don't think ahead. but had i filed it as a hate crime i suspect people would have laughed.

i don't think it's just an american reality tho. i know that gay bashings, or at least hate crimes, go on across the world. my aunt was beaten by thugs in germany, she was a japanese tourist, at least 50 years old, attacked by about 5 german punks in berlin. saaad. oh, and they took her purse. so was it a hate crime? or was it just a purse snatching? who knows.

what strikes me is that many attacks are made by groups of attackers, and not just one. it seems that a certain likemindedness of hatred can multiply their contempt and anger.

it pays to be careful. even in west hollywood, men are encouraged to wear whistles around their necks to sound an alarm call if something happens. it might not stop a baseball bat, but it could alert others nearby, as people in WEHO should know by now that the shrill sound of a whistle means trouble.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline louisev

• Membership_deactivated.
  • Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 05:06:52 AM »
I am getting a sort of deja vu feeling from the late 1980's, when women were being cross examined on witness stands when they dared to accuse someone of rape, and convictions remained low, and then public awareness began to improve and the Rape Shield Laws were enacted to increase the protection for victims of sexual abuse.

I think the same public awareness needs to happen on hate crimes against gays.  it is public awareness (even here, for heaven's sake!) that we have a widespread SOCIAL problem that needs to be addressed in a universal manner - hate crimes, hate speech, need to have higher penalties when charged, and people who spew homophobia need to be discouraged at all turns from their antisocial behavior.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 05:30:52 AM »
I am getting a sort of deja vu feeling from the late 1980's, when women were being cross examined on witness stands when they dared to accuse someone of rape, and convictions remained low, and then public awareness began to improve and the Rape Shield Laws were enacted to increase the protection for victims of sexual abuse.

I think the same public awareness needs to happen on hate crimes against gays.  it is public awareness (even here, for heaven's sake!) that we have a widespread SOCIAL problem that needs to be addressed in a universal manner - hate crimes, hate speech, need to have higher penalties when charged, and people who spew homophobia need to be discouraged at all turns from their antisocial behavior.

i fully agree. so many crimes go unpunished, and the laws seem unfair, even to this day... remember when child abuse laws were practically nonexistent? now at least the children have some protection, if not from their abusive parents, then from the court system that now better addresses their cause.

of course, it goes both ways and i'm sure there are children accusing parents and other adults of abuse when it isn't happening (it's been proven in some pretty well known cases), but for the most part i think the laws set up are necessary to preserve a child's rights. i feel we need to make sure those laws protect gay children as well.

Offline dsmom

• lynxkitten
  • Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 10:40:34 PM »
Houston, Texas

This week

16 year old boy,

beaten,

raped with a steel pipe

left for dead

found after 12 hours of laying there

50% chance of living

but hey, he probably was in the wrong place doing the wrong thing....and these things rarely happen
There is the light and the dark and all things that live have the power to choose...

Offline dsmom

• lynxkitten
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2006, 05:43:14 AM »
I posted about this in another thread....gay bashings are not reported as gay bashings...the above incident was reported on a station out of Dallas...our local news shows this morning just said he was beaten and left for dead...(no mention of the rape) if all you saw was the local show you would not know that it was a gay bashing...

two eighteen year olds have been arrested
There is the light and the dark and all things that live have the power to choose...

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2006, 06:49:51 AM »
I think it goes on unreported b'c it is so widely accepted - even the 5th grader who says something like, "I don't want my hair cut like that - it's gay." is beginning a life of accepting gay-bashing as okay. 

I'll admit, that even I make those statements still.  (And I don't think it's okay - not like when Af/Am's use the "n" word with each other)  It's become habit.  It's part of my dialect.  And it makes me uncomfortable.  Not just b'c I'm gay but because I think it's wrong and disrespectful and desensitizes my children and the other people around me to the seriousness of gay-bashing and gay discrimination.  My children have witnessed gaybashing and gay discrimination in their schools by school administrators!!  Now they're setting a poor example of tolerance and understanding - then to be completely hypocritical, the school sponsors the LGBT awareness club.  It can't go both ways. 

Understanding and tolerance begin at home.  We all know this.  We need to teach our children (and our neices and nephews) tolerance and understanding for all groups - race, religion, sexuality, etc.  Then we need to demand that same equality and tolerance in our schools.  Those teachers and administrators have our kids in their care for 6 or more hours a day five days a week.  They have culpability in the ethics and values they impose on our kids while at school. 

And we need to demand the same tolerance in our communities.  Gaybashing and discrimination based on sexuality need to be considered criminal offenses nationwide - regardless if you live in the "bible-belt" or a conservatively-based community.  If it's not okay to throw stones at a black man or deface a mosque, then it's not okay to beat a gay man with a baseball bat just because he's gay.

"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »
dsmom,

from what i understand, the beating was by two whites against a hispanic boy. apparently they were angry that he tried to kiss a 12 year old hispanic girl at a party they were attending.

one of the attackers was supposed to be in jail serving a ninety day sentance, but was released 30 days early~!

they also reportedly will not be charged with a hate crime for all of this, even tho one boy reportedly has hitler's birthday as a tattoo, and racial slurs were shouted during the 15 minute attack, which ended with bleach being poured on the unconcious victim. and it wasn't a steel pipe, it was the pipe from a lawn table umbrella. apparently the boy suffered so much internal damage he isn't expected to survive.

we can all say prayers, i am. i've heard online that if the boy died it would be a blessing, as that means the attackers would get more time in prison... but that's harsh.

it boggles the mind to know that people can get so worked up over something to do such an awful thing. minds are messed up, that's for sure.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2006, 02:42:22 PM »
I think it goes on unreported b'c it is so widely accepted - even the 5th grader who says something like, "I don't want my hair cut like that - it's gay." is beginning a life of accepting gay-bashing as okay.  ...

...If it's not okay to throw stones at a black man or deface a mosque, then it's not okay to beat a gay man with a baseball bat just because he's gay.

well, it's not okay to beat or throw stones at anybody, but i know what you mean. ;)  and i don't think the "that's so gay" thing should be allowed, but it seems acceptable.

i myself am fond of the word gay, and so i treasure it. i wouldn't want to use it to describe anything negative, no matter how bad the haircut. ;)  but i would probably joke about it...

many people think the "that's so GAY" saying that is so widely used today is harmless. it's on the radio and i think it's also on TV. do you hear it on tv? i bet MTV and other shows, especially reality tv shows would air it... gay people say "that's so GAY" too, i guess it's like an black person using the N word. but i don't think they say it in a way that means that it's negative... unless they're mad and mean it that way.

i remember listening to a talk radio show and the guest and DJs were both saying "that's so gaaaay" over and over again, and laughing about it. unusual...

so it makes sense that children say it. my friend is a middle school teacher and she says everybody says it, even the teachers. i asked her if she could ask the kids not to say it and she said no. she says she tried to explain to the kids why it's wrong, but they just didn't get it, that her reasoning was, in a word, "gay."  sigh...

on a related note, i was in an indian sweets and spices store, you know, curry and whatnot, yummy stuff. anyway, they had these religious items with the swastika symbol all over it. my friend commented on how that is "so wrong" but we realized that they've been in use for centuries before the nazis started to use it. in japan, they also use the same symbol in pottery and fabric designs. it's really a beautiful geometric form, but now, it's not right in so many ways! weird...

then again, gays have accepted the pink triangle, and now they "own" it. so who knows... i know people with pink triangle tattoos even.  odd...  :D

Offline dsmom

• lynxkitten
  • Obsessed
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2006, 06:01:40 PM »
dsmom,

from what i understand, the beating was by two whites against a hispanic boy. apparently they were angry that he tried to kiss a 12 year old hispanic girl at a party they were attending.

one of the attackers was supposed to be in jail serving a ninety day sentance, but was released 30 days early~!

they also reportedly will not be charged with a hate crime for all of this, even tho one boy reportedly has hitler's birthday as a tattoo, and racial slurs were shouted during the 15 minute attack, which ended with bleach being poured on the unconcious victim. and it wasn't a steel pipe, it was the pipe from a lawn table umbrella. apparently the boy suffered so much internal damage he isn't expected to survive.

we can all say prayers, i am. i've heard online that if the boy died it would be a blessing, as that means the attackers would get more time in prison... but that's harsh.

it boggles the mind to know that people can get so worked up over something to do such an awful thing. minds are messed up, that's for sure.

I am saying the facts will probably neverbe known but the act of rape...that is not a natural outcome of a beating...that was making a point...even if they were not doing it because they thought he was gay..

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2006, 05:19:06 PM »
Just thought I'd post this over here as there are many who seem to believe this sort of thing doesn't still go on - this one took place in the East Village:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060611/en_nm/crime_assault_dc_1

Seven against one...yeah, that seems fair.  And I'm sure they all feel that they are big men now....
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

Fritz Perls - A Gestalt Prayer

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2006, 05:21:49 PM »
Just thought I'd post this over here as there are many who seem to believe this sort of thing doesn't still go on - this one took place in the East Village:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060611/en_nm/crime_assault_dc_1

Seven against one...yeah, that seems fair.  And I'm sure they all feel that they are big men now....

I saw this today michael - very depressing, and in the East Village where some might think this would NOT happend
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »
I saw this today michael - very depressing, and in the East Village where some might think this would NOT happened

Sadly gay neighborhoods are often where this sort of thing happens - people from outside of the neighborhood come in to either bash or rob.
I do my thing, & you do your thing. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine. You are you and I am I, and if by chance we find each other - it is beautiful. If not it can't be helped.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2006, 06:32:44 PM »
Here is an article from today's UK news on yahoo concerning the sentencing of two men in the beating death of 24 year old Jody Dobrowski in London last year:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/15062006/325/face-life-gay-barman-murder-london.html

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2006, 11:51:43 AM »

Sorry Nick, didn't quite get that one?