The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: All-Time Favorite Films  (Read 135097 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: All-Time Favorite Films
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2006, 02:34:40 PM »
I have yet so see Schindlers List, I have only recently worked my way up to watching Life is Beautiful, which I did really like.

FUNGURL

jayiijay

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2006, 04:19:03 PM »
Loved the first half of Life, had problems with the second half.  I respected Schindler's List and don't dislike it, but honestly, the three hour narrative was completely forgettable, the ending was unnecessarily manipulative, the nazis were portrayed more as black and white psychopaths than real people - which made it less effective (the "banality of evil", right?!), etc.

The Pianist blows both Schindler's List and Life Is Beautiful out of the water.

Offline Poohbunn

• Obsessed
  • Freedom ain't free.
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2006, 05:27:48 PM »
OK, call me lame, but I think "Mary Poppins" is a splendid film.  I love the animation, music, story and cutie pie Dick Van Dyke!  Others on my list of favorites:

Babe
Romero
Victor, Victoria
Sound of Music (I'm a big Julie Andrews fan)
October Sky
Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day
Edward Scissorhands
Benny and Joon
My Name is Bill W.

I could go on and on, but you can see I don't have high falutin' tastes in movies. I love whimsy and things I can relate to.

Pooh
Not all who wander are lost.
JRR Tolkien

jayiijay

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2006, 07:09:24 PM »
POOHBUNN:

Love Mary Poppins, Babe, Victor/Victoria, Sound of Music, all among my favorites too, plus Edward Scissorhands.

As a Julie Andrews fan, have you seen The Americanization of Emily?  She's outstanding in it.

Offline BayCityJohn

• Forum Hero
  • Tech Support
  • Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2006, 10:02:59 PM »
OK, call me lame, but I think "Mary Poppins" is a splendid film.  I love the animation, music, story and cutie pie Dick Van Dyke! 

I have never seen Mary Poppins. I love Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke.

I got to see Julie Andrews in Victor Victoria at the Schubert in Chicago a few years ago.

Dick Van Dyke did a movie back in 1974 called 'The Morning After'. I think it's the best performance of his career. I haven't seen the movie since it was first shown. I remember how this movie affected my family at the time. My father was an alchoholic, and it was like watching our own lives on tv. Not too long after that Dick Van Dyke 'came out' as an alchoholic at a press conference.

Here's a review from IMDB:

Richard Matheson has given us another masterful screenplay, and Dick Van Dyke is perfectly cast in the dramatic role of his career. I saw this on its initial television release date, and I recall the wide recognition that it garnered; but "The Morning After" seems to have slipped from visibility lately. Still, at the time of this film, "lovable drunk" jokes and comics were prolific on television – and since "The Morning After", and its terrific eye-opening impact, they disappeared almost overnight. Now there were other, numerous efforts in those days to increase the awareness of alcoholism ... but I maintain that the impact of this unforgettable, much-discussed television film, with its chilling end, had a huge impact on the American consciousness. But we'll never be able to measure the number of lives it must have saved. Highly recommended to all.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2006, 10:20:13 PM »
Dick was chilling in The Morning After, I remember it well.

And Christmas before last I had the DVD collectors edition of Mary Poppins on my Christmas list, it is magic.   :)

FUNGURL

Offline TomS

• Experienced
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2006, 09:41:00 AM »
Dick was chilling in The Morning After, I remember it well.

And Christmas before last I had the DVD collectors edition of Mary Poppins on my Christmas list, it is magic.   :)

Way to go for mentioning Mary Poppins.  That was the very first movie I ever saw in a theater as a kid!!

40 years later I think the special effects are still amazing.  And Feed the Birds brings tears.  (Some of you might recognize the Bird-Woman as Jane Darwell, or Ma Joad in The Grapes of Wrath.)

Offline nkburlington

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2006, 09:59:52 AM »
I'm not sure I can come up with ten.  Most movies, AFAIC are quite stupid but then again, some of the stupid ones are my faves;

(in no particular order)
The Last Seduction
The Usual Suspects
The Sixth Sense
Memento
Under Suspicion
Wild Things (I know, I know...but I liked it; trashy as it was)

I'm sure I'll think of more later.
"Learning to dislike children at an early age saves a lot of expense and aggravation later in life."
--Robert Byrne

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2006, 11:00:45 AM »
The best films for me are those I have watched at least six or more times over the years.  They may not be the "best" if taken apart and critiqued in depth, but for me they work.  Among these are (in no particular order):

East of Eden
      A Streetcar Named Desire
      Gone With the Wind
      La Strada
      And of course BBM!

I rarely watch a film more than once. But Streetcar is one of my favorites.

---

Nice to see About A Boy mentioned, Lola. Not on my all-time list, but I really liked that film a lot, have a great affection for it.

Same with Babe. And the one phrase definitely stuck in my head. I think of it often in particular situations, though i get some strange looks when I go ahead and vocalize it. "That'll do, pig."

hehehe.

I despise Forest Gump, though. Definitely on my most-overrated list in a catfight with Titanic for the top spot. Titantic tends to win because it got more acclaim, so the discrepancy is bigger. But there were a lot of good things in Titanic. Gump is just loathsome from conception through final product. It perches near the top of Gag Me list.

jayiijay

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2006, 11:03:05 AM »
NKBURLINGTON:

Linda Fiorentino was fantastic in Last Seduction, she really made the movie.  After deservedly winning the New York Film Critics Award for Best Actress, the Academy decided the film was ineligible since shown on HBO, disqualified Linda, and wound up giving the Best Actress prize to Jessica Lange (whom I like a lot) in her histrionic, overwrought performance in Blue Sky.  Yet another Oscar injustice.

Offline nkburlington

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2006, 11:05:28 AM »
NKBURLINGTON:

Linda Fiorentino was fantastic in Last Seduction, she really made the movie.  After deservedly winning the New York Film Critics Award for Best Actress, the Academy decided the film was ineligible since shown on HBO, disqualified Linda, and wound up giving the Best Actress prize to Jessica Lange (whom I like a lot) in her histrionic, overwrought performance in Blue Sky.  Yet another Oscar injustice.

I know!  She was ripped!  She was fantastic and when I heard that the Academy had disqualified it I was totally bummed.  I've seen TLS probaly 50 or more times. 

Did you like her in Jade?  That movie was fucked up and I HATE David Caruso but she was good in that one too.
"Learning to dislike children at an early age saves a lot of expense and aggravation later in life."
--Robert Byrne

Offline johnk

• Expert
  • Jack, I swear...
« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2006, 02:44:43 PM »
I was really hoping someone would start a thread like this!  I was very interested in what sort of favorite film lists the members of the forum would have...anyway, my list:

1    Brokeback Mountain
2    Titanic (1997)
3    Gone With The Wind
4    The Graduate
5    American Beauty
6    All About Eve
7    The Godfather
8    Rebecca
9    Moulin Rouge
10  Dinner at Eight

...for what it's worth.

johnk
"The truth is...sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Offline DaveinPhilly

• Sending up a prayer of thanks
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2006, 03:35:39 PM »
Yes, Rebecca.
It could be like this, just like this, always...

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2006, 04:08:16 PM »
Dave, I have been trying to find a DVD of Rebecca for several years, but it is out of print.  Used copies are ridiculously expensive, so I make do with my copy taped off of TV.  I love it too.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2006, 04:22:50 PM »
Nice to see About A Boy mentioned, Lola. Not on my all-time list, but I really liked that film a lot, have a great affection for it.

Same with Babe. And the one phrase definitely stuck in my head. I think of it often in particular situations, though i get some strange looks when I go ahead and vocalize it. "That'll do, pig."

hehehe.

I bought About A Boy, I really did like it, it was different.

Babe I loved and yea for months I said............That'll do, pig. That'll do..............and people would look at me and say "uh excuse me?"  :D  I bought the original and the sequel as a set on DVD, the second one was terrible.

I also didn't eat any pork products for about a year!  :'(

FUNGURL