The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Brokeback Mountain 'Lovesick" Diet  (Read 521114 times)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
Re: The Brokeback Mountain 'Lovesick" Diet
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 10:48:00 AM »
Casper I am the reverse, always eat a big breakfast, big lunch and lighter supper, more hours to burn calories! lol  But like Bobby says whatever works for you.

I don't have any problems with BP, but everyone should check with their Doctor before starting any type of exercise program, especially if they are quite overweight, or have any history of health problems.

Keep up the good work guys.   :)

FUNGURL

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2006, 08:27:51 AM »
Hi, Bobby, took me a while to get round to write here something. I agree with Chuck and others who have said that it is a question of changing perspective in life more than actual diet. I have a history of serious back problems, it's been operated twice for prolapsed disc and once my right leg got paralyzed so that I had to learn to walk again. One might think that experiences like that would make me take concern of my fitness level or what I eat, but it didn't. As I have said before in other threads I got so disconnected from myself and my well being that I just didn't bother. In some really perverted way I chose that my personal well being wasn't a priority. Well, the results were what they were. I have never been really heavy (not least by American standards) but seriously overwight nevertheless.

And boy, could I diet. But for me diets became exercises of will, I cheated as much as I could, gained results and the gained weight again. Now I have realized that I can not make any progress with diets, they just don't work for me. I am too disorganized, too prone to temptations (and I love guilty pleasures) and too prone to cheating myself that being on steady diet would work for me. I had to make changes in a way I live and commit to my own life. I had started doing something before Brokeback already, I had acquired a physiotherapist who did a program to exercise the mobility of my back and to work with the ischiatic nerve. One of the reasons I have always been reluctant to exercise was that I was worried I might hurt my back again. So, I started working with it, getting to know what it can take, what things feel good. I have considered starting tai ji in order to improve my balance.

After Brokeback I have made some promises to myself:
Exercise regularly but not too often (if it becomes a bore, I know that I will quit), walk everywhere you can, do back stretches almost every day (some days are off even from that)

and then the "diet". I made some basic rules:
1) Do not use food as prize. Give yourself other prizes when you have done good.
2) Eat regularly: breakfast, lunch, dinner
3) Lose pizzas and fast food, concentrate what you eat, set the table, enjoy the taste, think what you are doing
4) Eat everything but in moderation (except junk food). I have never eaten candy or chocolate, so they have never been a problem. I have been addicted to carbs.
5) Lose the weighting scale - this is not a competition because if it becomes one, I'll lose. Use clothes as evidence for success. Like everyone who has gone up and down with weight I have jeans for every size, so I am very aware about the level of success (slow but obvious) that I have made
6) Never go to buy food when hungry

These work for me. But they work because for the first time I have defined the goal in terms how I want to feel about myself, see them as part of my ongoing dedication to the quality of my life. I choose to do them, not because I want to look better but because I want to feel better.

"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2006, 11:14:29 AM »
Hi! Boris:

it is a question of changing perspective in life more than actual diet
  Boy!  That says it.  It takes us awhile to come around to that fact, but when we do we have more permanent success, I believe.

And boy, could I diet
  Don't we get good at it?  Wow! The stories I could tell...we could all tell, I suppose, about diets we've done.  I'm convinced it isn't what diet we pick, it's our mental process that makes it work.  I think taking the word diet out of the vocab and substituting 'lifestyle change' makes a big difference, too.

After Brokeback I have made some promises to myself
  Golly!  What would we have done without Brokeback Mountain???  In talking to my sister about being gay last night, the first member of my family I've come out to, it made it so much easier to know that this movie was there, and those who had watched it and made changes in their lives, were there.  It's like this big family of friends.  I think lots of us will be using your phrase for a long time.

I made some basic rules
  I didn't make rules that I wrote down, which I probably should.  I'm encouraged by your example.  I love your rules and bellieve they are built on common sense and will serve you well.  Well done!

These work for me
  "You bet"...a Friend once said, and it goes well here.  What works for you shouldn't concern anyone else in life...food is so personal anyway. 

I choose to do them, not because I want to look better but because I want to feel better.
  And since your reasons are personal, they mean more to you than anyone else, and who cares about everyone else if it works for you.

Thanx! for contributing.  I think this thread will be helpful for those who need help remembering what it is all about.

Bobby

A love that will NEVER grow old....

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »
Keep up the good work Boris and Bobby congrats on coming out to your sis, PM me!!  :-*

FUNGURL

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 07:01:23 PM »
My sister lives in a small town in the Arizona mountains.  We went for Mexican Food and I'm used to this wonderful place here in the Phoenix area, so I asked:  "Do you have saffron rice?"  No.  "Do you have fish that isn't breaded?" No.  "Do you have Black Beans?"  No.  And you wouldn't believe...the tacos were actually fried in deep grease, probably lard, and the chips were flour chips friend in grease, too!  I ordered a Chimichanga (sp?) with chicken, and it was delicious with their really sweet hot sauce on it.

Weighed in today with a 54 lbs total loss since discovering this site.  I know lots of it is water weight loss, and that I'll bounce back and forth, but the general direction is down and I feel grrrr8! so I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.  Gave away two bags of old clothes yesterday...gone and never to be worn again.

I can hear Ophra now..."Folks, there's a new diet out there that is sweeping the nation.  It's called the Brokeback Mountain "Lovesick" Diet.  People having success with it are saying it's because of their involvement on the Dave Cullen Brokeaholics Web site.  Those who need to lose weight are using the tremendous emotional impact of the movie to change their lives.  They get together on Dave's Forum to support each other and share strategies and advice."  (Turns squarely to the audience and says,) "Think I could use a little bit of 'Lovesickness!' right here and right back there."

I guess that's wut I'm doing...channeling that emotional wreckage I had at first right into a personal improvement plan.  It helps having people tell me here on the Forum that I'm okay just as I am.  God loves me and He doesn't make any junk.  Being Gay is Okay.  I feel so much more comfortable in my skin...and losing all of this fat leaves me with a lot of extra skin to be comfortable in!

You know, before Brokeback Mountain, I had given up on setting goals for my life.  That's a surprise, because I've always been a big goal setter.  Life just seemed to have worn me down.  Now that I'm feeling better about myself and more under control, I want to set goals to finish that book I've got six chapters written on, and take a look at other areas of my life and jump start them again with some good goals.

Hey, gang, I hope that you'll pass the word to others so that they'll join us here.  Let's take this tremendous adrenaline rush of a movie and move our lives forward in a major way!

Love ya all, my Brokeback Friends,

Bobby

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 07:38:49 PM »
God don't make no junk!   You got that right, my kids use to have t-shirts that said that when they were young.

They said "I know I am special, cause God don't make no junk"  :-*

Yikes that Mexican resturant sounds like a nightmare for anyone watching their weight.  Although I love chicken chimi!

Giving away the old (bigger) clothes is a great idea, it is like saying I will NEVER be needing these.

The Brokeback Mountain love sick diet, can you imagine?  Maybe we can get some others interested, if not Oprah, Ellen, Montel??   ;)  It would be great!

Did you figure out how to PM everyone?  I know there is more than just a handful of us minding our figures and getting ready for summer.

FUNGURL

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2006, 07:49:41 PM »

FUNGURL

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2006, 01:29:52 PM »
Hi! All:

Went to my cardiologist this morning.  He's a cute, young doc, in perfect physicial shape and an easy bedside manner.  He asked if I had any problems with my heart and I told him other than fibrillation, nothing.  He commented on the weight loss and told me that diet and exercise have done more for me than the pills I am taking.  Then he looked at me and said, "You're perfect...well, almost perfect."  That's good enough for me to continue doing what I'm doing.  What a powerful motivation!

A friend just emailed me and said her husband had given up and was willing to start WW.  She's someone I've been wanting to tell about this Brokeaholic Sydrome I've been afflicted with since Brokeback Mountain came out.  So, I said, I'd like to take up an hour of her time and talk about diet and exercise and why I'm doing it, and hinted that the book was coming out in late June!  Haven't heard back, but hope she bites on it.

As far as diet what I do is so simple.  For lunch I just had a cup of Low-Fat Cottage Cheese and a big salad with tomato, lettuce, cuke, a half a bell pepper, some carrots and an apple.  The apple is my carbs and the cottage cheese is my protein.  How simple can it get?

Hope you all have a good day, and for those who need it, hope we see 'less' of you soon!

Bobby

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2006, 01:52:41 PM »
I think you should be a WW leader, seriously!

You never said, do you like my sign?   ???

FUNGURL

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2006, 04:42:40 PM »

Well, I liked it, Lola!  You really had me going there.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 12:31:19 PM »

LOVED it!

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 12:45:37 PM »
How do you like MY Brokeback Mountains?  Can you imagine growing up there?  It was wonderful...but Brokeback Mountain took me back to those halcyon days on the River as a ski bum.  We'd have 60,000 people come up from the LA area on big holiday weekends to camp along a 16 mile stretch of the river.  Being the 'local' ski bums was an enviable position.  I danced so much I had to have cortisone shots in my feet!  Those were the days when you couldn't be queer even if you were queer.  Most of what the movie has done was bring back those lost days of youth when things could have been so much better.

Bobby

P.S.  STill basking in the glow of having my Cardiologist think I'm doing wonderful.  No new revelatory diet stuff today...just keep on keepin' on.  There ain't no reins of this one!

P.S.S.  Don't think I'd like to be a formal WW leader...it's more fun just working with Friends on this battle. 

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2006, 01:06:44 PM »
I am really suprised more people haven't popped in here.  But I do see it is getting alot of views, so maybe they are just lurking, but not ready to hop in yet.  Maybe looking for some motivation, which is good.

I know alot of people battle weight issues, it is very common.

Gotta run, heading out on my walk!  ;D

FUNGURL

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 01:52:44 PM »
HEY where are you Bobby?

FUNGURL

Offline TexasMama

• GyllenHo
  • Obsessed
  • "Hook 'em Horns"
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 02:51:52 PM »
Read your story, Bobby, and I have tears in my eyes. Just when I think this movie and this forum have left their marks on me, I read something like your story and I'm once again overwhelmed and astonished. Keep on keepin' on. I too am on WW and get inspired whenever I see a picture of Jakey. :) I've lost 4 lbs now. Have about 46 more to go. ;)

Q: What did he smell like? A: Soapy, slightly sweaty, manly scent. (Thanks, Jannis!)