The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: The Brokeback Mountain 'Lovesick" Diet  (Read 521043 times)

Offline estefue

• Papi Chulo
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
Re: The Brokeback Mountain 'Lovesick" Diet
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 12:13:46 AM »
I reached my goal at weight watchers a couple of years ago and have been working for them since.  Unfortunately with my recent move my routine has been disrupted and I haven't been planning meals and I to my great shame have gained about 20 lbs.  But I will be back on program...

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 07:14:56 AM »
Planning meals seems to be the biggie, having things in the fridge, ready to go.  Knowing ahead what we are going to have to eat.   Good luck estefue, I am sure you will be back on track in no time!

And good luck to you TexasMama!  As of last night I was down 15 pounds!

FUNGURL

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 09:52:56 AM »
Hi! All:

Yesterday was a zoo!  Ended up with a visit to the dermatologist and having a couple of suspicious spots whacked off.  They weren't very big, so not much weight loss.   ;)

In fact, I'm on a bit of a plateau at 53 lbs. lost ... but who's griping!  I know that I'm doing everything right...I just call it the 'settle in' period.  Now and then my body says, "Whoa!" to the reins on this one and brings me back to reality.

I'm so glad a couple more posters have found us.  We want to be as supportive as possible.  My "WW group" here at work weighed in this morning and both lost weight.  I spent time on the phone yesterday with a friend that was going to Costco telling her all the things I buy there.  I should have probably had Costco in the name of the diet.  My wife picks up some of the minor purchases at WalMart, but I do the major shopping at Costco.

Here's some of what I buy and how I use it for what it's worth.

First, one of our Oncologists gave a lecture last year or the year before and said, 'Berries every day.'  So, even though they are expensive, I buy Blueberries and Blackberries.  I count out a Baker's Dozen of Blackberries to eat with my Egg Starts in the morning.  I try to eat four egg whites, which is about half a carton.  Then I measure out about a half a cup of Blueberries to add to my oatmeal.  I make my oatmeal in the microwave with just water, because I do it at work.  Then I add some ground flax seed, about a tablespoon+.  Can't remember how much I should have so erred on the high side.  I pick the flax seed up at a market called Henry's, which is an upscale place that has lots of good organic foods.

I also put Konsul bran in my cereal to give it some bulk.  Since I only use less than a half a cup of oatmeal, the Konsul fiber fills it out and expands it in my tummy.  It promotes regularity and is good for pregnant women or anyone really.  A new gal here at work in the first months of pregnancy took some and came back a couple of days later praising it to high heaven for helping her.

That's breakfast every day.  I tell my co-workers that us boys just want something that works, and when we find it, there's no reason to change it.  If there are no fresh berries, I get the dried ones at Costco, Stoneridge Orchards "Berrymix," was the latest acquisition.

Second, I eat a protein/carbo snack/meal a couple of hours after breakfast.  Usually it is just a small handfull of Almonds and a few of those dried berries.

Third, is lunch.  I get the mixed salad in a square plastic container at Costco.  To that I add a half a red/colored Bell Pepper, a third of one of their long Zucchinis, some baby carrots, not too many because when you're eating a meal every two or three hours all day, they stick with you awhile, some of the Sweet Peas in the pod, cut up, a Roma Tomato, and an Apple, peeled and cut up.  To this I add Salmon some days and other days, thanx! to a tip from this Forum, I've been having a cup of Cottage Cheese, which I've heard is the best protein around.

This is a BIG salad, so it lasts me through until supper, but if I get a little hungry I just grab another handful of Almonds and drink some extra water.

Supper my wife fixes and she has been doing a wonderful job.  Sometimes we have fish, and sometimes chicken, rarely red meat, but once in awhile we'll have a hamburger patty.  To that she adds one or two kinds of squach, steamed broccoli, a potato, spinach, Swiss Chard, peas, you know, whatever carbs and veggies are available.  We end up with a palm-sized portion of protein for muscle building and a couple of carbs for energy.

Interesting thing I learned from WW is that there are so many points (calories) in even Skim milk.  I used to drink 2-3 glasses of milk at supper time because I'm usually thirsty.  I was ending up with 200 calories just in milk!  Whoa! rein this one in, please.  So now I just pour a half a glass, about a cup of Skim milk, and then after supper I get a nice cold jug of water out of the fridge and sip on that if I get thirsty.

Now, I should have another protein/carb snack later, but what I've been doing is munching on pretzels...since I sweat so much exercising twice a day, I reason I need the salt.  Don't know whether I do, but if you need an excuse to do something, any old excuse will do.  I could say my ax wasn't sharp and that would do.

So, what this is mostly is Body For Life kind of stuff, with points and calories thrown in for good measure from WW.

Hope ya'll have a wonderful day! :D :D

Bobby
A love that will NEVER grow old....

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 09:54:23 AM »
But I will be back on program...

E - We'll be waiting to hear how you're doing.  Keep us posted...one of the grrrr8! things about WW is that you have to 'return and report' each week.  Keeps some of (maybe all of us) honest!

Bobby

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 09:57:54 AM »
Read your story, Bobby, and I have tears in my eyes. Just when I think this movie and this forum have left their marks on me, I read something like your story and I'm once again overwhelmed and astonished. Keep on keepin' on. I too am on WW and get inspired whenever I see a picture of Jakey. :) I've lost 4 lbs now. Have about 46 more to go. ;)

TexasMama:

I had tears in my eyes a little this morning, too.  Sometimes feel it is too much all at once...I'm a bit obessive compulsive, so overdo almost everything.  See a new therapist today.  Keep your fingers crossed for me that he is what I need.  He comes highly recommended by PFLAG in this area.

You'll look back on that initial 4 lbs loss and realize that setting the 46 lbs goal really worked!  I know you can do it, because it's all mental.  This Forum gives us a place to go when we're up  or down and people here REALLY CARE!

Have a grrr8! day!

Bobby

Gonzo

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2006, 09:58:39 AM »
I am rather pleased to report a total loss of @30 lbs. since January.  An exact number is really not available since I didn't plan this weight loss and didn't even notice until I was well into it.  Getting ready for my inevitable and destined meeting with either Jake or Heath.  Haven't decided yet.  LOL

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2006, 10:11:48 AM »
LOL Now that made me laugh, you better go with Jake, he is single, you have a better chance!

Anyone have any challenges coming up? We have a 4 day weekend next weekend and are going to be away from home, eating in other people's homes and eating in strange resturants, should be a challenge.  Also have to find time to fit the walks in there. 

But I think I will manage okay!  :)

FUNGURL

Offline kaboyz

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »
My triglyceride levels were really high so I went on a major health kick.  I found that Blueberries, raspberries, walnuts, almonds, banana's, flax seeds, added to my Uncle Sam's cereal in the morning has done wonders.  In a month my Triglyceride levels dropped from 525 to 120.

http://www.usmillsinc.com/usmills/search.php?brand=5

For breakfast when I don't eat the Cereal I eat McCann's Original Steel Cut Oat meal.  It is very natural and unprocessed.  Loaded with good stuff. 

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products.html

I also eat four egg whites. 
You son of a whoreson bitch

Daphne and Chloe

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2006, 04:04:20 PM »
I reached my goal at weight watchers a couple of years ago and have been working for them since.  Unfortunately with my recent move my routine has been disrupted and I haven't been planning meals and I to my great shame have gained about 20 lbs.  But I will be back on program...

A move is one of life's major stresses. Believe me I know. You will get back on track. I hope you are settled again soon.

Daphne and Chloe

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2006, 04:17:50 PM »
My triglyceride levels were really high so I went on a major health kick.  I found that Blueberries, raspberries, walnuts, almonds, banana's, flax seeds, added to my Uncle Sam's cereal in the morning has done wonders.  In a month my Triglyceride levels dropped from 525 to 120.

http://www.usmillsinc.com/usmills/search.php?brand=5

For breakfast when I don't eat the Cereal I eat McCann's Original Steel Cut Oat meal.  It is very natural and unprocessed.  Loaded with good stuff. 

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products.html

Wow That's fantastic!!!! I have heard how good berries are for you and raspberries are supposed to be very high in fiber. Although fresh summer berries can be a little pricey, I'm certainly going to eat plenty of them this summer. I have also been meaning to buy flax seed which I have read several times over is very good for you also.

Offline kaboyz

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »
The thing that is great about the Uncle Sam's Cereal, is the Flax Seeds are ALREADY in them!  So no fuss.  I buy the berries frozen, store brand...I enjoy them in my cereal when they are still semi frozen...they taste deluxe that way! 
You son of a whoreson bitch

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2006, 07:31:09 PM »
I don't think we get it in Canada, but next time I am in the States, I will have a look for it.  I may be there in August!

And for everyone who is losing, keep track of things like triglycerides and blood pressure.  After reading some comments in here I had my husband check his tonight.

He has been on meds for his BP for years, well after losing 20 pounds his blood pressure is now quite low, so he is going to have to go back and see his Doc and get his medication adjusted, or who knows maybe even cut it out!  :o

FUNGURL

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2006, 08:51:51 AM »
Getting ready for my inevitable and destined meeting with either Jake or Heath.  Haven't decided yet.  LOL

Now THERE'S a goal I can support!  30 lbs. is nothing to sneeze at.  Congratulations!  I'm at 55 (doublenickles!) this morning, only three lbs. shy of the amount I need to lose to get my $75 back from my family's Biggest Loser group.  I'm the only check on the refrigerator at my daughter's weigh in station, so I may only win my own money back!

You know when you hear someone talk about how big their weight loss is, all you have to remember is that in order to get big weight losses, you have to have BIG weight.  So where it might sound like bragging, I full well know where I was and where I have to go, and being halfway now puts things in perspective.  Lots of work to do, and thanx to this Forum I have a supportive place to talk about it.

Bobby

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2006, 08:57:24 AM »

Good job!  And thanx! for the tip about Uncle Sam's cereal.  My triglycerides were 100 last time I checked, which is so much better than what they were.

You have to plan time to shop for these kinds of things like the better, stone cut oat meal.  I have a question.  Since I microwave at work, is it possible to use the steel cut oats?  Right now I can get my whole oats done in 4 minutes, which works for me.  However, if I had to microwave them for a longer time, I'm not sure my boss would go for it.  I tell him now that the time it takes me to fix breakfast is about the same amount of time it would take to go to the coffee shop and get a mocha late frappe fiz or whatever.  He bought it.

Right on!  Doesn't it feel so good to do good things for your body???

I don't know whether others have found this true, but whereas I used to have all kinds of little aches and pains, since I started exercising so much, using the machines at the Y, I find that those aches and pains have gone away.  I may have a little muscle or joint soreness the day after a workout, but overall, I'm feel grrrrrr8!

Bobby

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2006, 09:08:18 AM »
The thing that is great about the Uncle Sam's Cereal, is the Flax Seeds are ALREADY in them!  So no fuss.  I buy the berries frozen, store brand...I enjoy them in my cereal when they are still semi frozen...they taste deluxe that way! 

I just wish I had been as savvy as you when I was 27...in fact, I can't even remember 27 it's so long in the past!  The oncologist I was speaking about earlier said that for most of us in the room we were too old for changes in diet to make a large difference, but for the younger ones, berries everyday would make a difference.  Not to say us old guys are giving up...every little bit helps!

Bobby