The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 666143 times)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2006, 12:54:59 PM »
Curious as to why Slate was chosen for the Best Picture ad.  It's a rightwing flame site that ragged on BM for months.  Shouldn't it be placed where at least some might appreciate it?

I personally don't know anything about SLATE,
but it seems this question deserves a response...?
i have  sneaking feeling that the writer here, samsung has confused slate with another publication altogether, or i missed a whole lot of "right wing flaming". i am not a regular reader, but any time i have read articles they always seemed well left of center.  i just always found it a bit fussy or pretentious.

jack.   
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2006, 01:22:18 PM »
I hope it's okay for a co-editor to respond to TDS - thanks for the Annie Proulx story, it's great to know she is speaking out against conformity in politics.  Tell you what, she is my role model.

of course it is.

and i was also really happy to see the annie story, luke. i asked pete to put it on the top of the newsbox the minute i heard. (which i'm sure he would have anyway.)

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »
Curious as to why Slate was chosen for the Best Picture ad.  It's a rightwing flame site that ragged on BM for months.  Shouldn't it be placed where at least some might appreciate it?
i have  sneaking feeling that the writer here, samsung has confused slate with another publication altogether, or i missed a whole lot of "right wing flaming". i am not a regular reader, but any time i have read articles they always seemed well left of center.  i just always found it a bit fussy or pretentious.

jack.   

thanks, jack.

i'm guessing that's the problem, too. mistaken identity sounds like the most reasonable explanation.

slate has lots of writers with lots of viewpoints, but in general, they are definitely a lefty magazine. and i've never heard them called a flame site. they're one of the most respected magazines in the country these days, web or print. there are two web magazines with reputations far above the rest of the pack: slate and salon. slate has a much bigger readership (ever since salon went to a paid-access model), so we went with slate. it is considered daily required reading in a lot of circles, right along with the new york times.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2006, 01:32:22 PM »
Paintedshoes -- I'm sure one of the Ad team can give you the details -- but Ned told me that the ads are placed throughout the SLATE site -- that's why we chose to put several in TDS so that folks could more easily see them.  Also, I know that our ad on the front page is up periodically, yesterday I refreshed through their other ads to see ours.  Hope this helps until someone more knowledgeable comes along!  Jan

exactly. we bought 1,343,750 impressions, but they are spread out over time, to maximize effectiveness. (a regular slate reader may read 3-5 stories there a day or more, and perhaps click on a few more to check them out. we don't want him/her to see our ad half a dozen times or more one after the other. we want it to keep appearing day after day, and to keep hitting different people.)

i can't remember the length of time it's likely to stay in rotation. pete?

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2006, 03:04:53 PM »
They think we should use up our impressions within three weeks. It has very high readership.

As Dave said, Slate is fairly left of center. I think their readership is one very in tune with the values of BBM.

Pete

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »
Thank you, Dave and Pete, for the info on the ad.

Modified:  I just went to Slate and SAW the ad for the first time.  It is awesome.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Elevation

• Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »
Great news today about the completed site re-organization! My thanks to everyone involved.

I also really liked the segment about "Forum Entertains Troops in Iraq with Quit//No Quit". What a fantastic, important and endearing story.
(Not knowing anybody in the troops over in Iraq, and being a bit Jaked up lately, I couldn't help but picturing the Jarhead characters sit around and debate this.... ;))   
Well there's a bridge and there's a river that I still must cross...

Offline davideo321

• Experienced
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2006, 08:29:44 PM »
Bravo, brava, bravi, bravissimi! Go away for awhile, answering the call of activism, and log back onto to a site that just keeps on refining and a campaign that keeps on evolving, and a consciousness that just keeps on expanding, and I start to cry. It inexplicably gives me such hope, in so many directions, and it's deeply humbling. Bless this forum and them who administer it, and all who contribute to what done sprung up here. (sound of two hands clapping wildly) :) :'(  :-*
"What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger."

E. Annie Proulx, Brokeback Mountain

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2006, 02:12:07 PM »
Today's Daily Sheet has an update on all of the current campaigns underway on this forum, with the conspicuous absence of any word about the academy/homophobia campaign, although there's been some good and active discussion about it, specifically by forum members TomS (the 1st member profile featured on the Saturday's Daily Sheet), Dan Wentzel and Guardian.

Just yesterday "Guardian" wrote:

"PeteinPortland (our moderator) –
We haven’t heard from you in a while.  Are you moved by our observations?  Has it affected your thinking?  Has Dave Cullen been following this discussion?  Could either one of you jump in here and give us your views.  I know your initial response was not supportive of immediately taking on the Academy – or even taking them on at all.  But perhaps our debate has changed your mind." 

Perhaps if nothing is to be done in this area, we should close this particular campaign, as
those of us continuing our thoughts and observations may be wasting our time without any direction...

Offline CactusGal

• Resigned.
  • Expert
  • Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2006, 02:20:58 PM »
Today's Daily Sheet has an update on all of the current campaigns underway on this forum, with the conspicuous absence of any word about the academy/homophobia campaign

Mooska -- Of course, Pete/Dave can (and I'm sure will) speak for themselves, but I suspect that Pete thought that by addressing the Ad campaign, he was updating the academy campaign.  I think there is still interest on member's parts to do something just before either award nominations or the Academy Awards themselves -- at least I'm interested in that -- although, its not completely clear to me just exactly what our course of action should be.  Jan

Offline Brokeback_1

• Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2006, 11:44:36 PM »
I hope it's okay for a co-editor to respond to TDS - thanks for the Annie Proulx story, it's great to know she is speaking out against conformity in politics.  Tell you what, she is my role model.

I was thrilled to meet with Annie Proulx and happy to share the details of my encounter with her. Meeting Annie will certainly be one of the highlights of the year for me. I know that she was quite pleased to learn about our existence and some of the projects that we have been working on.
What an  meeting for you to have! I read your story about  meeting Annie at that event and she certainly does seem to have been one Fascinating Woman. I wonder if she has always been such a firecracker. Because that's what she seemed like, a quiet firecracker with class! From your description she really WAS the highlight of that dinner, honest, open, fearless. There is nothing on earth like an older woman with passion and BRAINS....
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe but nothing could be done about it, & if you can't fix it, you've got to stand it

Garry_LH

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2006, 12:16:30 AM »
There is an online petition for Clergy opposed to the constitutional protect marriage from gay folk amendment. Might be worth checking out and passing on to your minister.
http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?2006/05/23/2

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2006, 01:31:54 AM »
Today's Daily Sheet has an update on all of the current campaigns underway on this forum, with the conspicuous absence of any word about the academy/homophobia campaign

The initial part of that campaign has been over for some time (sending a letter to the Academy). However, every once in awhile a member wants contact info for AMPAS which is part of our reason for leaving that campaign thread open. We also feel there is a valid and good discussion going on there. While there may not be actions discussed as of yet that we feel warrant the forum's involvement, one never knows what ideas may come of such a in depth conversation.

Perhaps we should archive that thread soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pete

Offline nova

• Experienced
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2006, 07:26:20 AM »

I'm not sure I understand the entry in the Tuesday, May 23 Daily Sheet, about Fan Fiction.  Does the story Taking Chances by Louisev actually exist somewhere, is it currently being written, or is the whole entry in the Daily Sheet just fiction?  I must be missing something. 

Offline DCLuke

• Feet Wet
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2006, 08:13:40 AM »
What an  meeting for you to have! I read your story about  meeting Annie at that event and she certainly does seem to have been one Fascinating Woman. I wonder if she has always been such a firecracker. Because that's what she seemed like, a quiet firecracker with class! From your description she really WAS the highlight of that dinner, honest, open, fearless. There is nothing on earth like an older woman with passion and BRAINS....

Annie is indeed a classy woman and meeting her was the highlight of my evening at the dinner.  Heck, it will probably be one of the top highlights of my entire year.  My mother told me that she printed the picture of me with Annie and has it pinned to her bulletin board.