The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1111376 times)

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 11:02:04 PM »
Thank you, Dave, and all of your advisory team, for handling this matter so well.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline BrokenOkie

• Former Mod
  • Obsessed
    • The Dave Cullen Forum Band
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 07:34:03 AM »
Re:  Oklahoma Library

Dave -

Thank you.  That news yesterday hit close to home in more than one way.  You handled the situation with decorum and made a very positive difference. 

Gratefully,
Glenn

Offline happycamper

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 07:35:03 AM »
Dave, wonderful outcome regarding the Oklahoma library, and I so liked what you said about opening a conversation. The daily sheet really enhances my visits to this site.

Offline Midwest

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2006, 07:43:10 AM »
Dave,

As someone who lives in a small town in Illinois I know that the reaction of the Librarian was not totally unusual. What surprises me is that so many are so insulated from the reality of life out here that they take the response as a surprise. Our local paper has run several hateful letters to the editor about the movie. My closest neighbors whom are good friends, had the letter cut out and posted on their refrigerator to show agreement. If you attend the local  churches you will hear a stream of hate coming from the pulpit about god didn't make Adam and Steve! Several had lengthy sermons about their dislike for the movie and what it stands for. Being a realist I choose carefully whom I disclose my oriention to. Many are accepting, some are not.

I have seen a lot of changes in my lifetime. I have gone from neighborhoods in the city where gays and straights were openly supportive to the country where being out is still a rarity. I am no different than the others on this forum that have been engulfed by the greatness of this film. But I know that we see it from our eyes, and while I agree that we need the same freedoms as others, I also know that not everyone is going to feel the same. I was among the first to report that Walmart was featuring the films release on posters at the doors. I was surprised at the flood of negative responses to anything having to do with walmart. Like it or not they are a country staple. I saw their support of the movie as a step forward. Only time is going to change attitudes, and the rural areas will be the last to come along. I know that is not acceptable to some, but for most of us who choose the rural lifestyle it comes with the territory. Overcoming conservative Christian values that are ingrained in so many out here is a difficult job, and some will never change.

Offline Bobby19in1963

• Bright Rainbow Star
  • Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2006, 11:05:10 AM »
Thanx!  The Daily Sheet is my salvation.  It brings me a digest of what I might want to search for that day, when it is impossible to search for everything.

I would like to see an archive of the daily sheets so far and in the future that we could access.  We can remember that, "Oh, yeah, I saw that on the Daily Sheet. Let me look in the archive and find out where the link led me."  If it is possible, that would make it perfect.

This Forum really is a lifeline for so many of us.  Keep up the good work.

Bobby
A love that will NEVER grow old....

Offline atruant

• Obsessed
  • Brokeback is STILL affecting me......
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2006, 11:15:44 AM »
Dave, great effort on your part to get the 'conversation' going with the Oklahoma library. A cornerstone for further conversations indeed!

Re the Daily Sheet, it's how I start my day on this forum. On reading today's piece on Bookend Scenes, a thought occurred to me. A number of threads seem to have reached a saturation point of interpretation and have become annoyingly repetitive. That's not to say new people shouldn't have a place to work through their own ideas. But I was wondering if anyone has produced a summary of thought on such threads as Were They Gay, Jake's Fate, etc, the hot button ones. It might be an idea to cover these threads one at a time in the Daily Sheet, so people can see the diverse opinion without having to scroll though thousands of posts.

Just a thought!

John 
John and Chuck -
Ennis and Jack got us together.

Offline blackhatnbeard

• Feet Wet
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2006, 11:29:14 AM »
Thank you to everone here for this site and for the efforts at the Oklahoma library.  I havent posted here much but love the story, the movie and this site!!  Dave--thank you in particular for your intervention with the library.  You are right, the power of one-on-on contact is unbeatable in this struggle for acceptance.

Secondly ( and this may seem silly but bear me out) we really should get behind Jake for the MTV Movie Awards.  Firstly, its a great way to keep saying Thanks for a breathtaking performance. Also, MTV represents the most sought-after demographic in Hollywood.  Its the silly kind of stuff that freshly scrubbed MBA's in little meeting room in Hollywood look to to predict "bankability".  Jake winning would send a big statement to them.  It does actually matter!

So please go vote-repeatedly!  IHEARTJAKE.Com has confirmed wth MTV that you must vote the full ballot in order for it to count---I know, how boring, but lets just do it and show some love for Jake.

Offline graylockV

• Obsessed
  • Klaatu barada nikto
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2006, 12:00:34 PM »
I hope the Oklahoma library honors its pledge to accept - and make available - the DVD.

But if you happen to wander in to that branch someday don't be too shocked if you find the DVD on the top shelf of an "adult material" section, where you need a ladder to reach it.

Sorry if I am cynical, but I know how this kind of stuff plays out.  Some ultra-right winger - and that's most of Oklahoma - will notice the DVD, raise hell about if poisoning the children with the "gay agenda" - and then insist that the DVD be banished, or put someplace where no one will ever find it.

And we will never know about it.

But whatever happens, at least we know we tried to do the right thing.

I hope I am wrong.
Beulah, peel me a grape.

Offline Alijoon

• HeathBar
  • Obsessed
  • I love my BrokeBack family.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2006, 01:05:17 PM »
question.. are the daily sheets archived.

i love love love the may 10th one and would want to come back to it time and again..

someone let me know.
You only live once, and your dreams are meant to be lived.

Daphne and Chloe

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2006, 01:30:20 PM »
Yes, thank you for your efforts. I hope that this person, truey in their heart, will think about their words and the impact and harshness they carried. Hopefully in the end it can have an impact on them as it did on us.

Offline bbm-mmm

• Experienced
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2006, 03:20:49 PM »
Dave,

Thank you thank you thank you.
Thank you for resolving that Oklahoma library situation.
And thank you again for this life-saving forum.

Yes, thank you for your efforts. I hope that this person, truey in their heart, will think about their words and the impact and harshness they carried. Hopefully in the end it can have an impact on them as it did on us.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2006, 03:50:49 PM »
Regarding the symbolism primer on today's "Daily Sheet" and the "Bookend Scenes",
DaveL mentions this one:

SPECK ON THE MOUNTAIN – NIGHT FIRE - Both characters …view each other across the vast upland meadows, and visually each appears as a tiny dot or "island" in the distance. 

I loved the following paragraph in Annie Proulx's story where she wrote:
"During the day Ennis looked across a great gulf and sometimes saw Jack, a small dot moving across a high meadow as an insect moves across a tablecloth; Jack, in his dark camp, saw Ennis as night fire, a red spark on the huge black mass of mountain."

I absolutely loved the imagery and meaning of this when I read it and to my utter delight when seeing the movie, the brilliant screenwriters included this tiny "speck" in their screenplay and Ang Lee put it into his movie.  To me, this seemingly overlookable thing in the short story that they found a way to be included in the film is, in my mind, a testament to everyone that they really cared about this and molded it into a work of art.  Even now, when I see these two images in the film (they are reversed from the paragraph and separated a bit by another scene) I am amazed and gratified.  Possibly my two favorite images in the film--the "Speck on the Mountain" (Ennis looking at Jack) and "Night Fire" (Jack looking at Ennis).

Meow.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2006, 04:52:44 PM »

i love love love the may 10th one and would want to come back to it time and again..

someone let me know.

Hey Alijoon -- so glad you liked that!  The Daily Sheets archiving is a little haphazard at the moment, I suspect Pete is too busy working on the site reorganization to think about this detail.  It will improve in the future.  ANYWAY, if you look under "Forum, Events, Campaigns and News", scan (with eyeballs) down the page and you will see some selections for Daily Sheets, May 1 through 7, something like that.  The weeks are not organized next to each other.

So that is the best way now to look for past issues. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 09:37:13 PM by tellyouwhat »
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline Elevation

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2006, 05:09:44 PM »

Seems that you can find the other ones in the 'Forum Events, Campaigns and News' thread (above this one). :)

Today, of course, I also want to thank Dave C and everyone involved in resolving the Oklahoma library situation, establishing a constructive discussion. 

Well there's a bridge and there's a river that I still must cross...

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 08:24:38 AM »
thanks for that truck article.  i will thank calgary actory when i see him about the threads.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."