The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1111638 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #4950 on: March 19, 2018, 07:43:10 PM »
Being Irish out weights being gay with the hierarchy of the church........ :laugh:
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #4951 on: March 19, 2018, 07:49:13 PM »
:D

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4952 on: March 26, 2018, 06:48:08 PM »

Heath ....the prankster.

I love ....that even now after the years without Heath....stories still find
their way out about him.  :)
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4953 on: March 28, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »

Re: Cynthia Nixon running for Governor:

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Cynthia Nixon's qualifications to be Governor, and Trump has opened the door for  a n y o n e  thinking they would, could or should run for some office, I can tell you having lived in upstate N.Y. for so long that her New York City centric video announcing her candidacy is not going to play well outside New York City. To a great many upstaters, NYC is the behemoth that sucks up all the attention and tax revenue from the rest of the state. NYC is akin to upstaters hearing, "All I ever hear about is Marcia Marcia Marcia."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #4954 on: March 28, 2018, 05:27:43 PM »
"All I ever hear about is Marcia Marcia Marcia."

:laugh:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4955 on: April 16, 2018, 03:37:03 PM »

Diana Ossana:  Who Was Almost In Brokeback Mountain

I have to admit that when I read this title the other day, before reading the
article, I was thinking... "now who would Diana have played?"

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #4956 on: May 08, 2018, 01:34:23 PM »
Please do this for me...
  Turn your volume way up,
  When youtube starts, use Full Screen (Shift F)
You won't regret it

May 19 will mark the sixth anniversary

It was a pleasant summer afternoon in this traditional Catalan square.
A musician placed his hat upside down on the pavement before him.
A little girl dropped a coin into the hat.

What happened next lifted the hearts of hundreds of lucky spectators
and of 76 million (plus) viewers, including mine,
to one of life's treasures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg

~~~fia, soy Sabadell
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #4957 on: May 08, 2018, 01:43:24 PM »
I love the idea of a flash mob, but I've never experienced one in real life. I would dearly love to have such an experience.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4958 on: May 08, 2018, 02:08:10 PM »

<<< Did you ever have an unexpected event in your life that showed you how wonderful
life could be, something that you have treasured ever since? >>>

I guess I'm the first to answer this! I didn't want to think of something for the sake of it, I wanted
it to be that idea you were talking about -- that you feel something in the moment that always lingers
on when it comes to mind, and it just took only a few seconds to remember these two moments.

[After I wrote this, below, I realized both things happened during this same week of May, exactly twenty
years ago.]

I visited New York City in 1998 and spent each day visiting some tourist attractions. Often when one is
traveling, you get overloaded by these things and you're often tired while doing many of them because
it can be physically exhausting after awhile. Sometimes you appreciate them more on hindsight when
you have time to contemplate what you've done and seen, rather than while you're actually there.

I was in tourist mode one morning and quickly ate some breakfast, traveled to lower Manhattan and got
on the ferry. I was sitting outside on the ferry on a hard bench in the rather cool air, with misty almost
rain in my face and the wind blowing. I stood up and walked to the front of this craft and then looked
straight up...the Statue of Liberty was there, seemingly out of nowhere to me and sprawling up to the
top of the sky and just looking so beautiful and awesome and I got a surge of gratitude for being right
there in that place to see such a magnificent thing in person. I remember thinking how lucky I was to
be there in just that moment and actually thought how beautiful life can be. I couldn't avert my gaze
from the wondrous sight.
___

On the opposite scale of things, is a minute or two of complete silence. It turned out to be my last trip
home to visit my mother, and it was the week before the above mentioned trip to NYC. One afternoon
I went into the living room where I found her sitting quietly on the couch. We looked at each other, but
didn't say anything. I went over and sat down next to her and took her very aged hand, really looked at
her visage and how many years she'd seen...listened to her breathing and felt the life in her and the spirit
in her eyes. We sat there quietly for what my memory thinks was a few minutes. No words. I was overcome
with the sense of beauty and a feeling of spirituality of the two of us just sitting side by side. It's a memory
I treasure and is often a comforting one, though right now I may need to go shed a brief tear or two.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4959 on: May 08, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »
What happened next lifted the hearts of hundreds of lucky spectators
and of 76 million (plus) viewers, including mine,
to one of life's treasures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg

~~~fia, soy Sabadell[/b][/center]

~~~fia

That was marvelous!  And you were there! Ode to Joy is one of my favorite pieces of music.
I got to see it played live by an orchestra and full chorus at the closing ceremony of the 1984
Olympics in Los Angeles!  This video was so lovely!  I don't know if this was ever the intention
of the composer, but one reason I love this music is that the music builds and is so joyous, but
it comes to a part (at around 3:55 on this video) where the music becomes briefly tentative,
uncertain, and even sorrowful, but then comes back to full happiness and "joy."  I always think
of that part of the music as knowing that you can't feel the full experience of joy without having
known the sorrow and I feel it gives this piece of music all the more power.

Thank you so much for sharing that and inspiring this idea for people to post their own experiences!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4960 on: May 08, 2018, 02:30:46 PM »
I love the idea of a flash mob, but I've never experienced one in real life. I would dearly love to have such an experience.

I agree, Fritz, I think that would be fantastic.
Even seeing them on youtube is wondrous.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #4961 on: May 08, 2018, 02:47:18 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^

What Fritz said.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #4962 on: May 08, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
I guess I'm the first to answer this! I didn't want to think of something for the sake of it, I wanted
it to be that idea you were talking about -- that you feel something in the moment that always lingers
on when it comes to mind, and it just took only a few seconds to remember these two moments.

Lyle, they were both beautiful, and exactly what I hoped for. Endless thanks.

Here are a few things I've opicked up from the Internet about Som Sabadell.

It was a planned effort, produced by the Bank of Sabadell which (they say)
badly needed some good publicity at the time. It was a stroke of genius, I think.

The Orchestra Simphonica del Valles was local, but excellent. There were three choirs,
Amics de l'Opera de Sabadell, the Coral Belles Arts and Cor Lieder Camera, all from
local communities. The conductor is Ruben Gimeno, now famous across Europe and
an alumnus of the University of Maryland (Master in Orchestra Conducting).

Who chose Ode to Joy? I don't know, but it is the anthem of the European Union.

The photography amazes me: except at the very end after the music has stopped, I don't
see a single movie camera. But look at the amazing variety of people's faces -- old, young,
knowledgable, surprised, smiling, appreciative... The photographers had to be experts
(perfect framing and no jitters) and virtually invisible. Later, when the video was edited,
someone had to select just which clips to show and when. A superb job!

The little girl atop the street lamp? One of the commenters says she is the conductor's
daughter. I don't know for sure, but she certainly favors him.

When the final chorus bursts forth and the joyful man reacts "Oh wow!", I'll bet
you did, too.

I could go on, but I'll leave you with this thought:

Eighty years ago, a young radio announcer named Herb Morrison,
witnessed the Hindenburg catastrophe. His voice wavering and choked with angst,
he said to his radio listeners, "Oh, the humanity..."

Today, with my own voice wavering but inspired by love and hope
and Som Sabadell, I rejoice and say, "Oh, the humanity!"

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #4963 on: May 08, 2018, 04:22:49 PM »
I'm pressed for time, but I do have two stories to tell, and will share them later this week.

Lyle, loved your post!

fia, I've seen that video a number of times, and each time has made me tear up a little.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4964 on: May 09, 2018, 01:25:52 AM »
Because my naval father was working in different places I was at boarding school in Switzerland for 5 years. So many good memories, but one that stands out was a summer walk when I was about 14 or 15, up past the village through the alpine fields. Yes,it was idyllic - mountains, spring flowers, warm sun, cowbells - and I was struck by this sudden moment of incandescent happiness. But it wasn’t so much that I was happy: it was, I think for the first time that I was KNEW that I was happy, and that I was experiencing a new awareness, of myself in my environment.

After that it used to happen from time to time. Less often now, but I still get the occasional glimpse.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:00:40 AM by Sara B »