The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1111715 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #4965 on: May 09, 2018, 01:29:07 AM »
Flash mobs (only experienced on YouTube) always make me want to cry - in a good way. I think it’s watching people's faces suddenly light up, and seeing the music or dancing grow from one solitary player to a mass of them.

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #4966 on: May 11, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
My response to the question in this week's Daily Sheet, about an unexpected moment of happiness in your life:

When I used to visit my mother in Colorado, she would be awake all night watching the stock market scroll on the TV in the living room, because she was uncomfortable sleeping in her own bed.  She wanted to see the reports about the overnight Asian  or European stock markets; those special reports start at 3:00 AM Colorado time (which is 5 AM in New York).  It was mostly a way for her to keep occupied during the wee hours.

On the mornings when I would leave for the airport, to return home, my taxi would come at about 6:00 or 6:30 AM.  Depending on the season, the sky might be dark or light, or there might be the beginnings of a sunrise.  Mom would still be awake, because she'd had the stock market scroll to keep her company while I ate breakfast and made sure I'd finished packing.

One morning, I saw a beautiful sunrise over the roofs of the houses across the street, with the darker tree limbs silhouetted against it.  I would have called my mom to come look, but she was comfortable in her chair, and didn't feel like standing up with her walker, and then getting into her wheelchair to come to the door.  So I ran to get my camera and stood out on the porch, snapping photographs to the east, the north, and the south.  Then I took my camera back inside and let my mother view the sunrise on its display window.  This was a moment of happy sharing, unplanned, but not totally surprising.

Eventually those sunrise photos got posted on my computer here, and one is now my screen saver.  My mother has since passed away, and although I own her old house, and I have some nice people renting the house now, it's not our family home any longer.  When I catch a glimpse of that sunrise screen saver now, I often take it for granted as just a pretty picture.

But now and then, the screen saver will bring back some unexpected memories, memories of the happiness which I shared with my mom that long-ago morning.  I will remember what it felt like to stand in the cool air that morning, on the front porch in Colorado, looking for the best angle from which to snap photographs for Mom to see.  And I will remember Mom finally making it across the room in her wheelchair, and sitting just inside the front door to make sure I got safely into my taxi.  And then to say, "Be sure to call when you get home."

Maybe this memory is particularly strong this weekend because Sunday is Mother's Day.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 02:50:44 PM by dejavu »
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #4967 on: May 11, 2018, 04:33:00 PM »
I'm not  sure if these stories fit what you are looking for, fia, but it's what I have to share.

Years ago, not long after I had first come out, I had developed a crush on a friend who lived in another state.  We had a lot of great conversations via phone or email, but he viewed me as a friend only.

I was going to be spending time in his area for an event, so he invited me to stay the weekend with him.  I thought that perhaps he was starting to change how he saw me.  In reality, he was being friendly, and then proceeded to spend a good part of the weekend talking about a new guy he had met.  I put up a good front, but was crushed when I drove home.  I was living with my parents at the time, and when I got home, I got to my room to see my mom had re-decorated it.   My stuff was still where I put it, but I had new carpeting, new curtains, new bedding.   She left a note explaining that she wanted a surprise for me, in case things didn't go the way I wanted that weekend.

The second story took place not long after the loss of my friend,  Rich.  Rich and I were pretty close, and spoke via phone and PMs almost daily.  He had come up to the NYC area to visit, and I went down to Georgia to see him.  One thing he wanted to do was go to Canada and see the BBM filming locations.   Unfortunately,  Rich was killed in an accident in 2010.  UBF member Sue (then SuelyBlu,  now BlueAmber63) was going to visit the locations, so I asked her if she would leave a picture of Rich at one of the locations for me.   She replied she would, and I sent her a pic of him.

When she got back, she sent me a picture of herself at the Basque Bridge,  holding the pic of Rich.  She had written a message on it for me.

"He was a friend of mine......RIP,  from Chuck"

After both of these events, things went from feeling so bad,to being OK.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 06:41:22 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #4968 on: May 11, 2018, 05:14:33 PM »
I love everyone's stories...love that these simple things can end up having so much meaning. 
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #4969 on: May 11, 2018, 05:47:26 PM »
I think that your stories are perfect, Chuck.

They show how small physical objects (the new bedroom decor, and the picture of Rich) can be tied to so many meaningful emotions, whether memories you want to hang onto, or just feelings of relief that things are still okay despite disappointments.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #4970 on: May 11, 2018, 05:51:19 PM »
Beautiful heartfelt stories, y'all.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #4971 on: May 12, 2018, 05:11:40 AM »
I’d wanted a horse since I was 4.  I have pictures of me on my aunt’s horse when I was that age.  I finally got my own when I was 29.  I treasure every moment I had him, but one in particular I’ll never forget.

I had him stabled in Mt. View in California, and one horrible, no good, very bad day I found out the land had been sold to Bill Graham to build the Shoreline Amphitheatre.  One day we were out for a ride and I saw a field that used to be grass and was now all turned over for building.  I decided we were going to have a run.  Most of the work I did with him was in an arena, working on jumping and some dressage flat work.

I rode him about a half mile into the field, just walking...I was looking for holes in the ground or any really uneven footing that might cause a problem.  Everything looked good, so we walked back to the edge and I got set, and then we just took off.  I can't describe the way it felt...it was the best feeling in the world for me, and I could tell he was happy, too.  It really was like we were flying. 
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline dejavu

• Obsessed
« Reply #4972 on: May 12, 2018, 09:54:22 AM »
Great story, Nancy.
Jack's from Texas.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4973 on: May 12, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »

Wonderful reading everyone's posts...from people I know!

I love everyone's stories...love that these simple things can end up having so much meaning.

Agree! Sometimes I've found that the most mundane or rouitine day can be overwhelming in its pleasures.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4974 on: May 15, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »

The "Lesbian Teacher Claims Discrimination" story...

I read the whole article linked to this story. The school she teaches in does
seem to be more progressive than one might think in terms of these things,
so I wondered what the real problem is here. From looking through the article
a second time it seems to me the real issue is that when straight people hear
an LGBT person talk about getting married or having a wife (or husband) they
think about the "sex" component of such a relationship and then surmise
that the children are thinking about this, too. So then you are "pushing a
lifestyle. In other words, "the sins of the parents visited upon the children."

But straight people talk about getting married all the time. Do they think of
sex immediately? Do they think that's what children think about when they
talk of that aspect? Obviously, they think something is wrong about it or it
would not even be an issue, really.

Offline Sason

• The Proverbial Swenglish Axegirl
  • Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #4975 on: May 22, 2018, 03:28:40 PM »
Please do this for me...
  Turn your volume way up,
  When youtube starts, use Full Screen (Shift F)
You won't regret it

May 19 will mark the sixth anniversary

It was a pleasant summer afternoon in this traditional Catalan square.
A musician placed his hat upside down on the pavement before him.
A little girl dropped a coin into the hat.

What happened next lifted the hearts of hundreds of lucky spectators
and of 76 million (plus) viewers, including mine,
to one of life's treasures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg

~~~fia, soy Sabadell

Wonderful!

Love the little girl in the lamp post, conducting.

Thanks for posting it, Bob.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Sason

• Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #4976 on: May 22, 2018, 03:29:11 PM »
I love the idea of a flash mob, but I've never experienced one in real life. I would dearly love to have such an experience.

Me too.

Offline Sason

• Obsessed
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #4977 on: May 22, 2018, 03:59:50 PM »
Lovely stories everyone shared. Thank you.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #4978 on: May 31, 2018, 02:58:42 AM »
Perhaps the time has come to remove for now the “Brokeback Mountain play coming soon” post at the bottom of TDS. As far as I can see, there has been NO further information since August last year. :(

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4979 on: May 31, 2018, 03:20:10 PM »
Perhaps the time has come to remove for now the “Brokeback Mountain play coming soon” post at the bottom of TDS. As far as I can see, there has been NO further information since August last year. :(

True, Sara, there's been crickets chirping. The "only sign of life after all these years" is just that the
play website's copyright was updated to 2018. Small potatoes.