The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 674112 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #4995 on: August 21, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »

When I went to read todays TDS I realized I had not read last week's yet!  So, from that one I would like to say:

Thank you Stacey Bailey for just continuing to be yourself and taking the challenge on that was meant to try and stop you from teaching.
Unfortuantely I CAN believe there are people that try to erase even the smallest of facts, like someone is gay or not in the guise of "protecting
children."

I'd also like to thank you for teaching me something...

"...she taught her students about gay artist Jasper Johns..."

I didn't know Jasper Johns was gay, so you taught ME something!  Several years ago I had seen a segment on the
Charlie Rose show when he interviewed someone about Jasper Johns and talked about his work and many other things.
That simple fact that he was gay never entered the conversation at all.  Just a short time later I visited the Bing Theatre
at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to see a film there and your ticket to that place allows you to see current exhibits.
I was early, so I went in and to my surprise there was an exhibit of Jasper Johns works for which I'd had a superb introduction
from that program I watched! I Can't believe I didn't know this personal information about the artist previously.

At that same time the museum had an exhibition of Art Deco costumes that the gay designer Erté had produced for productions
in Paris. I knew that Erté was gay and have always been a huge fan of his work. Two gay artists having exhibitions at the same
time at LACMA!

Fabulous!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4996 on: November 05, 2018, 11:08:08 AM »

Linda Cardellini (Cassie) in New Horror Film

She is also in the soon to be released film "Green Book."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4997 on: November 06, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »

When this edition of TDS hits, it will be Election Day in the United States.  There are 22 candidates running for House seats that identify as LGBT, and they could be elected in states that are turning from 'red' (Republican) to 'blue' (Democrat).

There has been much talk about a "blue wave" during this election cycle, and there appears to be a 'rainbow wave' as well, as the LGBT candidates are getting a lot of exposure and support.  The only two bi candidates with significant media coverage are Katie Hill, running for California’s 25th district, and Kyrsten Sinema, a U.S. representative for Arizona’s 9th district who is running to replace Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ).

While I've heard of both Katie Hill and Kyrsten Sinema, I didn't know they were bi.  I've seen Katie Hill's commercials for several weeks locally, though she's not in my district, but adjacent, and have been very impressed. I do hope she pulls out a convincing win tonight!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4998 on: November 07, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
^^^

TIght races, but it looks like both of them aren't going to previal.   :">

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4999 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
^^^^^^

CORRECTION: I mixed up Katie Hill with Katie Porter.  Katie Hill DID narrowly win her seat
against longtime incumbent Steve Knight!  Yay!  Katie Porter did not win against incumbent
Mimi Walters in her close election.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #5000 on: November 10, 2018, 05:16:20 AM »
TDS - The interview with Cullen is nice.  I wonder if we will see an uptick in hits to the site?  Funny thing is BBM changed a lot of people's lives.  That "You Know That Scene" is one of those iconic clips which they will be showing and referencing for a while... it's that powerful.   V.