The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Respond to The Daily Sheet  (Read 1117910 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Respond to The Daily Sheet
« Reply #4995 on: August 21, 2018, 10:45:17 AM »

When I went to read todays TDS I realized I had not read last week's yet!  So, from that one I would like to say:

Thank you Stacey Bailey for just continuing to be yourself and taking the challenge on that was meant to try and stop you from teaching.
Unfortuantely I CAN believe there are people that try to erase even the smallest of facts, like someone is gay or not in the guise of "protecting
children."

I'd also like to thank you for teaching me something...

"...she taught her students about gay artist Jasper Johns..."

I didn't know Jasper Johns was gay, so you taught ME something!  Several years ago I had seen a segment on the
Charlie Rose show when he interviewed someone about Jasper Johns and talked about his work and many other things.
That simple fact that he was gay never entered the conversation at all.  Just a short time later I visited the Bing Theatre
at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to see a film there and your ticket to that place allows you to see current exhibits.
I was early, so I went in and to my surprise there was an exhibit of Jasper Johns works for which I'd had a superb introduction
from that program I watched! I Can't believe I didn't know this personal information about the artist previously.

At that same time the museum had an exhibition of Art Deco costumes that the gay designer Erté had produced for productions
in Paris. I knew that Erté was gay and have always been a huge fan of his work. Two gay artists having exhibitions at the same
time at LACMA!

Fabulous!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4996 on: November 05, 2018, 11:08:08 AM »

Linda Cardellini (Cassie) in New Horror Film

She is also in the soon to be released film "Green Book."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4997 on: November 06, 2018, 10:14:15 AM »

When this edition of TDS hits, it will be Election Day in the United States.  There are 22 candidates running for House seats that identify as LGBT, and they could be elected in states that are turning from 'red' (Republican) to 'blue' (Democrat).

There has been much talk about a "blue wave" during this election cycle, and there appears to be a 'rainbow wave' as well, as the LGBT candidates are getting a lot of exposure and support.  The only two bi candidates with significant media coverage are Katie Hill, running for California’s 25th district, and Kyrsten Sinema, a U.S. representative for Arizona’s 9th district who is running to replace Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ).

While I've heard of both Katie Hill and Kyrsten Sinema, I didn't know they were bi.  I've seen Katie Hill's commercials for several weeks locally, though she's not in my district, but adjacent, and have been very impressed. I do hope she pulls out a convincing win tonight!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4998 on: November 07, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
^^^

TIght races, but it looks like both of them aren't going to previal.   :">

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #4999 on: November 08, 2018, 10:21:54 AM »
^^^^^^

CORRECTION: I mixed up Katie Hill with Katie Porter.  Katie Hill DID narrowly win her seat
against longtime incumbent Steve Knight!  Yay!  Katie Porter did not win against incumbent
Mimi Walters in her close election.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #5000 on: November 10, 2018, 05:16:20 AM »
TDS - The interview with Cullen is nice.  I wonder if we will see an uptick in hits to the site?  Funny thing is BBM changed a lot of people's lives.  That "You Know That Scene" is one of those iconic clips which they will be showing and referencing for a while... it's that powerful.   V.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5001 on: November 13, 2018, 07:49:00 AM »
In reference to the election, the one who painted the house across from Westboro Baptist in Kansas in rainbow colors, Davis Hammet, had a role to play in turning Kansas around.

https://www.indy100.com/article/davis-hammet-pro-lgbt-westboro-baptist-church-laura-kelly-governor-kansas-facebook-8630471?fbclid=IwAR2bDvU1nOaCt91LVczPq8x5IRWqgmw_EMoPWqmMOq2oC2DMzcsdbnZT0Kw

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Paul029

• Obsessed
« Reply #5002 on: November 16, 2018, 09:00:22 AM »
When I went to read todays TDS I realized I had not read last week's yet!  So, from that one I would like to say:

Thank you Stacey Bailey for just continuing to be yourself and taking the challenge on that was meant to try and stop you from teaching.
Unfortuantely I CAN believe there are people that try to erase even the smallest of facts, like someone is gay or not in the guise of "protecting children."

It seems that it’s not only children who need to be “protected.”

In an article in Slate five years ago, Mark Stern questions why the Museum of Modern Art’s 2013 exhibition, “Johns and Rauschenberg,” put Johns and Rauschenberg “back in the closet,” and argues that,

Museums have a responsibility to acknowledge and consider the sexuality of artists in their collections when it is relevant to the work they are displaying. That’s the real tragedy of “Johns and Rauschenberg”: not that it puts gay artists in the closet, but that it keeps viewers in the dark.

https://slate.com/culture/2013/02/moma-closets-jasper-johns-and-robert-rauschenberg-why.html

Quote from: Lyle (Mooska)
I'd also like to thank you for teaching me something...

"...she taught her students about gay artist Jasper Johns..."

I didn't know Jasper Johns was gay, so you taught ME something!  Several years ago I had seen a segment on the
Charlie Rose show when he interviewed someone about Jasper Johns and talked about his work and many other things.
That simple fact that he was gay never entered the conversation at all.  Just a short time later I visited the Bing Theatre
at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to see a film there and your ticket to that place allows you to see current exhibits.
I was early, so I went in and to my surprise there was an exhibit of Jasper Johns works for which I'd had a superb introduction
from that program I watched! I Can't believe I didn't know this personal information about the artist previously.  [snip]

Well, I knew about Jasper Johns—and also about Robert Rauschenberg (1925-2008) and Cy Twombly (1928-2011).  :">

Johns is now 88, but in 1949 he moved from South Carolina to New York City, and lived in downtown Manhattan between 1954-1961, where he and fellow artist, the Texan Robert Rauschenberg, were not only painting collaborators but also full-time lovers

They parted after just six years because of their uneasiness with being recognized as a couple publicly. Their breakup was so acrimonious that they both left New York City and didn't speak to one another for more than a decade.

They were mentored by long-term lovers choreographer Merce Cunningham and composer John Cage at the center of a clique of New York City gay artists who pioneered most of what is now taken for modern art, dance, and music.

Rauschenberg, prior to meeting Johns, had had a previous sexual relationship with another artist, painter Cy Twombly, which included them living and traveling together extensively in Europe and Africa.

Here’s an informative 2016 BBC documentary on Rauschenberg, with segments on both Johns and Twombly, which you may find of interest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELmPbQNx9M

My apologies for the lateness of this response, Lyle.  ::)
...there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5003 on: November 16, 2018, 10:07:57 AM »
^^^

Thanks for the response, very informative! I appreciate it.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5004 on: December 12, 2018, 04:20:07 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5005 on: December 13, 2018, 04:46:33 PM »

Every week!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #5006 on: January 16, 2019, 02:48:45 PM »
I read The Well of Loneliness a very long time ago when I was probably in my teens. I must admit I wasn’t all that moved by it, although it was a subject I was wanting to find out all I could about. I can’t remember now whether I even found it very informative. I wonder what I’d think of it now?

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #5007 on: January 25, 2019, 04:33:44 PM »
Hello TDS readers!

I have a very  busy weekend ahead of me, and due to that, I won't be able to produce an issue of TDS for 1/29.   It will be back the following week.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #5008 on: January 25, 2019, 05:48:08 PM »
Thanks for all you do, Chuck!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #5009 on: February 01, 2019, 12:20:44 PM »

From a January TDS:

New York City Adds Gender-Neutral Option to Birth Certificates

New York City now offers a gender-neutral option on birth certificates for residents who don't identify as male or female.  It's called "X."   As of this week, adults over 18 can alter their birth certificates to "X" so long as they attest via a form that the change "is to reflect my true gender identity."  New York Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the move into law Tuesday, ABC reported.

I thought of the above this week when I was watching a 1973 aired episode (forty-six years ago!) of "Laugh-In."  They had a joke where a couple who'd just had a baby was returning the birth certificate to the hospital official who says, "You didn't mark Male or Female, which is it?" The father says, "Oh leave that unmarked. We're going to wait until they grow up and then the child can decide."