The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc.  (Read 456036 times)

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc.
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2006, 11:58:22 AM »
... am addicted to it as well ... landed my first axel last year!

Cool,  jim...
Congratulations :)
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2006, 12:05:39 PM »
... am addicted to it as well ... landed my first axel last year!

Cool,  jim...
Congratulations :)

thanks! .... think I forgot to mention that it was a bit cheated .... but landed none the less .... haven't worked on it much since though. Have been trying to focus more on footwork and other jumps and spins.  It's hell though at 52!!  :-\

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2006, 01:19:19 PM »
thanks! .... think I forgot to mention that it was a bit cheated .... but landed none the less .... haven't worked on it much since though. Have been trying to focus more on footwork and other jumps and spins.  It's hell though at 52!!  :-\

jim,
you are a much braver person than I.... I would not have attempted at 22 much less 52. :P
I do have a slight disadvantage, however, I live in TX and we don't have much access to ice rinks :)

I really do applaud you.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2006, 02:59:27 PM »

jim,
you are a much braver person than I.... I would not have attempted at 22 much less 52. :P
I do have a slight disadvantage, however, I live in TX and we don't have much access to ice rinks :)

I really do applaud you.

thanks .... I really do love it. It's a great escape for me.  After a long day at work, I try to get up to the rink and just lose myself in working on various elements. .... not mention that  it's great exercise!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 03:09:20 PM by jim ... »

Mr. Wrong

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »
Well I got the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition in the mail today. Big deal. I'd like to see a swimsuit edition with hot male athletes. If that were to happen what athletes would you chose to model? Here is my list.

Baseball---Derek Jeter--hands down the sexiest man in baseball
Hockey-Sydney Crosby
Basketball--Carmello Anthony and Alan Iverson
Football-Joey Harrington
College Football-Reggie Bush USC
College Basketball-J J Redick -Duke

Jason

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2006, 11:02:21 PM »
What do you all think of the new scoring system for Ice Skating?  I think it's terrible.  I realize that they needed to do something after the 2002 pairs debacle but I really think that this new system really takes away from the beauty. 
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2006, 11:09:42 PM »
damn right it does. all the extra spins and footwork are for the most part just busy little moves for adding points but which detract from any sort of program logic. it's like a singer who add a lot of notes to one syllable but takes away from the meaning of the words. if you're going to have words then sing them. if you're going to have moves in skating, they should either be pure athleticism or be part of a choreographed line that is visually coherent even if there is no 'story' being acted out.

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2006, 11:13:52 PM »
Well I got the Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition in the mail today. Big deal. I'd like to see a swimsuit edition with hot male athletes. If that were to happen what athletes would you chose to model? Here is my list.

Baseball---Derek Jeter--hands down the sexiest man in baseball
Hockey-Sydney Crosby
Basketball--Carmello Anthony and Alan Iverson
Football-Joey Harrington
College Football-Reggie Bush USC
College Basketball-J J Redick -Duke

Jason

i'd add:

Figure skating: Johnny Weir and Evan Lysacek [sp?]
football/soccer: David Beckham [yeah, i know, how predictable, but... hey]
Speed skating: Apolo Ohno

edit: i've now seen some photos of Ohno which i regret. consider him removed from my list of candidates. :) not my taste. nope. but the others are solid.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 09:08:26 AM by Lance »

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2006, 11:20:54 PM »
He's a pro skater now.  I think he has his own tour that goes across Canada.

Got any pics of Weir?

Jason

have a look. shirtless.
http://www.kataniye.com/johnny_weir/Johnny_topless_001-a.JPG

there are two other shirtless pics on that same site.

edit: and on Johnny's own site, more in the same series, but a bit smaller:
http://www.figureskatersonline.com/johnnyweir/gallery_nigel.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 11:27:10 PM by Lance »

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2006, 08:08:45 AM »
What do you all think of the new scoring system for Ice Skating?  I think it's terrible.  I realize that they needed to do something after the 2002 pairs debacle but I really think that this new system really takes away from the beauty. 

Hi Carissa ... I have mixed feelings about the new scoring system.  I think in terms of the technical mark, it's an improvement.  We finally have a point system that everyone is judged on equally and a system for grading the execution of each element.  I think the fact that various spins and footwork are now categorized by level helps and hurts the overall performance.  A higher level 3 or 4 footwork segment contains more rockers, brackets ... etc. and is more interesting to view however much more difficult to tie in artistically with the music.  My main gripe is with the program component score (the old artistic score).  This is still pretty subjective and I'm finding that the judges are not really separating the technical score from the artistic one.  If someone racks up points technically, they tend to garner higher artistic scores.  I'm not so wild about that!  Many skaters, in an effort to rack up those technical scores totally ignore the artistic element of the program and that definitely detracts.  There has been some talk of banning quad. jumps.  In a way, I think that would force many skaters to address the artistic score more and that would be great! ... just my $ .02    :)

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2006, 09:06:02 AM »
yeah, they get 13 points just for a quad. can it be much more difficult than a triple axel? how many points are awarded for those?

you do have a good point about judges not separating component scores from technical. look at the scores for Plushenko; he got really high component marks even though there was no great artistic presentation, just a lot of moves, in other words, a lot of technical content, i.e. footwork, spin reversals, etc. under the previous scoring system, Plushenko had very artistic programs, so we know he can do them, but he doesn't do them now, yet still gets high artistic/component scores.

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2006, 09:59:37 AM »
yeah, they get 13 points just for a quad. can it be much more difficult than a triple axel? how many points are awarded for those?

here are the points awarded for various jumps.  Keep in mind that "grade of execution" points can be added to or substracted from the base value.  You ask is a quad if more difficult than an axel.  I am far from triples or quads but what I can say is that an axel is a hell of alot scarier!  It's the only jump that takes of from a forward edge.  It's feels like you're jumping into an abyss ... with no toe in to help vault the jump.  They both have their own difficulties.  The axel has that damn forward take off and the quad is difficult to rotate.  Hope this helps  ...  ???

Singles
Element Abbreviation Base Value
Single Toeloop 1T 0,4
Single Salchow 1S 0,4
Single Loop 1Lo 0,5
Single Flip 1F 0,5
Single Lutz 1Lz 0,6
Single Axel 1A 0,8
Double Toeloop 2T 1,3
Double Salchow 2S 1,3
Double Loop 2Lo 1,5
Double Flip 2F 1,7
Double Lutz 2Lz 1,9
Double Axel 2A 3,3
Triple Toeloop 3T 4,0
Triple Salchow 3S 4,5
Triple Loop 3Lo 5,0
Triple Flip 3F 5,5
Triple Lutz 3Lz 6,0
Triple Axel 3A 7,5
Quad. Toeloop 4T 9,0
Quad. Salchow 4S 9,5
Quad. Loop 4Lo 10,0
Quad. Flip 4F 10,5
Quad. Lutz 4Lz 11,0
Quad. Axel 4A 13,0

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2006, 10:33:51 AM »
ah, so the 13 points is not just for any ol' toe loop, but only for the axel. in the old days, triple axel was always the jump i most liked to see. most exciting by far.

i don't remember which quad Yegeny Plushenko got the 13 points for; when a commentator showed a judges computer screen for his performance, IIRC, they mentioned the points awarded were a base value with points added for aspects of the way it was performed.  wish i had it recorded.

has anyone ever even attempted a quad axel in competition?

thanks for the points list, Jim.

Offline jim ...

• Global Moderator
  • Expert
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2006, 10:43:02 AM »
ah, so the 13 points is not just for any ol' toe loop, but only for the axel. in the old days, triple axel was always the jump i most liked to see. most exciting by far.

i don't remember which quad Yegeny Plushenko got the 13 points for; when a commentator showed a judges computer screen for his performance, IIRC, they mentioned the points awarded were a base value with points added for aspects of the way it was performed.  wish i had it recorded.

has anyone ever even attempted a quad axel in competition?

thanks for the points list, Jim.

I think the 13 points Plushenko was awarded was for a combination quad toe - triple toe.  That would come out to 13 points.  A quad toe by itself is 9 points ... and if he received 4 more for grade of execution ... that would make 13.  I don't think anyone has every attempted a quad axel ... at least not in competition.  It would be 4 1/2 revolutions! YIKES!

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2006, 11:33:26 AM »
yikes indEEd. :)

i think you're right about Plushenko's award.