The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc.  (Read 441288 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc.
« Reply #6810 on: August 11, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »

And every player on every team will be wearing these socks!

I hope a lot of players wear the uniforms the way they were meant to, so we can see them!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6811 on: September 01, 2017, 05:43:30 PM »
Yay! Just getting back here now after the trip (plus a bout with bronchitis), so making my way slowly through!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6812 on: September 01, 2017, 08:44:57 PM »
So glad you are back, Fritz!! Tomorrow us Notre Dame!!  YAY!!
As the years pass you forget about your age, because inside, you always stay the same.
Sally Field

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6813 on: September 01, 2017, 09:17:25 PM »
My goodness!

Went to Google News, and there is a bit of news to report for the figure skating world!   Especially with the Olympics  coming up.

Olympic figure skating star Gracie Gold taking time off to seek professional help

Christine Brennan, USA TODAY Sports Published 9:59 a.m. ET Sept. 1, 2017

Gracie Gold, a two-time U.S. figure skating champion and 2014 Olympic team bronze medalist whose last name and movie star looks have captivated her sport, said Friday morning in a statement released to USA TODAY Sports that she will be taking time off five months before the next Winter Olympics "to seek some professional help.”

She did not say what kind of professional help she will be receiving.

“My passion for skating and training remains strong,” Gold said in the statement. “However, after recent struggles on and off the ice, I realize I need to seek some professional help and will be taking some time off while preparing for my Grand Prix assignments. This time will help me become a stronger person, which I believe will be reflected in my skating performances as well.”

Gold was scheduled to open her 2018 Olympic season at the Japan Open, an invitational team competition in Saitama, Japan, on Oct. 7, but she now will not attend that event. Her Grand Prix assignments, in Beijing and Grenoble, France, are both scheduled in November.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2017/09/01/olympic-figure-skating-star-gracie-gold-taking-time-off-seek-professional-help/624408001/

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6814 on: September 01, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »
Yulia Lipnitskaya, The Skating Darling of Sochi, Retires After Completing Treatment For Anorexia

Dvora Meyers Tuesday 10:59am

Back in 2014, Yulia Lipnitskaya burst onto the international skating scene by helping the Russians win team gold at the Olympics. In Sochi, Lipnitskaya memorably performed to the score from Schindler’s List, dressed like the little girl in red in the Steven Spielberg film about the Holocaust. (Three years later, her countrywoman, Evgenia Medvedeva would take on another tragedy—9/11—in her long program at the world championships.)

Though Lipnitskaya had a rough showing in the individual skating competition in Sochi and failed to medal there, many thought she had a bright future in women’s figure skating. And for a brief spell, it seemed like she did. Lipnitskaya followed up her Olympic performance with a silver medal at the world championships later that year. But that would be it for Lipnitskaya at the world and Olympic level. Her mother, Daniela Lipnitskaya, announced yesterday that Yulia is retiring from the sport after completing three months of treatment for anorexia in Europe.

According to RT, Daniela informed the Russian figure skating federation of her daughter’s retirement back in April, though the federation claims that it has yet to receive an official notice from Yulia.

http://deadspin.com/yulia-lipnitskaya-the-skating-darling-of-sochi-retire-1798520119

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6815 on: September 01, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
Adelina Sotnikova won't defend Olympic figure skating gold medal in Pyeongchang

Associated Press

The coach of Adelina Sotnikova says the Olympic figure skating champion will not defend her title at next year's Winter Games in Pyeongchang because of injury.

"Adelina Sotnikova will not compete this season because of injury," her coach Evgeni Plushenko, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, said in comments reported by Russian agency R-Sport. "We all hoped we'd get this injury cured, but unfortunately it hasn't happened. The injury is still causing problems, [Sotnikova] can't manage full training sessions, and it's not right to go to competitions in this state."

Plushenko didn't specify what injury was troubling Sotnikova, though the Russian has been struggling with ankle problems. He added that the announcement shouldn't be seen as Sotnikova's retirement from skating.

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/20477424/adelina-sotnikova-defend-olympic-figure-skating-gold-medal-pyeongchang

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #6816 on: September 01, 2017, 09:35:12 PM »
So glad you are back, Fritz!! Tomorrow us Notre Dame!!  YAY!!

Yeah!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #6817 on: September 01, 2017, 10:00:37 PM »
I had read about Gracie Gold on Yahoo News earlier, Chuck and was going to let you know.
As the years pass you forget about your age, because inside, you always stay the same.
Sally Field

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #6818 on: September 10, 2017, 06:03:18 PM »
Olympic Figure Skating Season Starts with September Must-sees

By Nick ZaccardiSep 8, 2017, 7:17 AM EDT

The international figure skating season begins next week. By the end of the month, we’ll already have some answers for key questions heading into the Olympics.

Let’s dive in:

1. Which three women make the U.S. Olympic team?

This answer will not come definitively until after the U.S. Championships in January, but three of the top contenders compete at next week’s U.S. International Classic in Salt Lake City — Karen Chen, Mariah Bell and Mirai Nagasu, who finished first, third and fourth at last season’s nationals.

The Olympic team is chosen by a committee that analyzes not only performances at nationals, but also recent international competitions. Which makes the next few months — starting with lower-level events next week and rising to the fall Grand Prix series — key for all of the American women given every single one was flawed last season.

Chen won the U.S. title and was the top American at worlds (fourth), but she struggled in her other six events. Bell chalked up a 12th-place finish at worlds to the worst nerves of her life. The 2010 Olympian Nagasu could unleash a triple Axel this season, but she was 10th, fourth and fourth at the last three nationals.

Last season was forgettable for all three 2014 Olympians. Ashley Wagner had her least successful campaign in six years. Gracie Gold hit rock bottom, changed coaches and announced last week that she is seeking unspecified “professional help” before her debut in November. Polina Edmunds didn’t compete at all in 2016-17 due to a bone bruise in her right foot.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/09/08/figure-skating-olympic-season-schedule/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6819 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »

Fritz, congratulations to your Washington Nationals for being the first team to clinch their Division title!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6820 on: September 12, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »

Congratulations to Arizona's 13 game win streak and J.D. Martinez' historic 4 home runs in one game!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6821 on: September 12, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »

Congratulations to the Cleveland Indians winning streak which last night became 19 in a row!

(I like this photo taken when the streak was at 17.)

Tonight they could tie the 2002 Oakland A's!

Longest winning streaks in the MLB:
1935 Cubs: 21
2002 Athletics: 20
1947 Yankees: 19
2017 Indians: 19
1904 Giants: 18
1953 Yankees: 18

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/09/11/cleveland-indians-winning-streak-record

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6822 on: September 12, 2017, 11:39:05 AM »

Congratulations to Los Angeles...

The IOC is meeting this week and will be awarding the cities of Paris and Los Angeles their bids for hosting the Olympics.
Info here, including how to watch the meetings in Lima, Peru, live.

https://www.olympic.org/ioc-session-lima

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6823 on: September 12, 2017, 12:09:40 PM »
As for my Dodgers...

As an artcile appropriately stated this morning:

There are, I suppose, two ways to look at the Los Angeles Dodgers' season if you're a fan of the team:

1. 92-51 is still the best record in baseball.

2. 1-16 in their past 17 games, which ...
WHAT IN THE WORLD IS HAPPENING,
THIS MAKES NO SENSE,
THE ENTIRE TEAM IS AWFUL AND THE SEASON IS OVER AND I HATE BASEBALL.

This makes no sense is the most accurate feeling.

How can a team that was over 20 games in first place (now 9 games ahead) go on a losing streak like this?
It's the same team that won all those games.

A stat from an article:

You won't be surprised to know the Dodgers are the first team to win 15 of 16 and lose 15 of 16 in the same season. Heck, only two other teams in the past five years have lost 15 of 16 games -- the 2015 Braves, who finished 65-97, and the 2013 Astros, who lost their final 15 games on their way to 111 losses. No team has lost 10 straight games and gone on to win a World Series -- the 1953 Yankees lost nine in a row, the most for a World Series champion.

So, that makes it difficult to wrap our minds around this stretch. The Dodgers had won 52 of 61 games to give themselves a chance at the single-season record for wins. Now they've spent two-plus weeks as the worst team in baseball. The logical analysis says to look at the bigger picture and view this 16-game skid as an aberration -- a unique one, for sure -- because if there's one thing sabermetrics has taught us, it's to not overreact to a small sample size.

We also know the Dodgers have the same players that went on that record tear. At the same time, the emotional side of our brain can't watch what has happened of late and just dismiss 16 losses in 17 games as simply irrelevant. If winning 52 of 61 games told us something about this team's greatness, losing 15 of 16 tells us at least a little something as well.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/82577/the-week-in-dodgers-non-dominance-from-bad-to-worse
___

And last night -- I thought they were going to finally win won.  They started almost an hour late.  After one batter there was
another three hour delay. I can't believe they didn't call the game, but it started at almost 11pm. After the first 4 innings where
SF got a run in each inning I believe, the Dodgers csme back and tied it in the 5th. Again in the 6th and again in the 7th. If I'm
remembering correctly. I thought, hey, no pressure, no one's watching this game, it's the middle of the night in the whole country.
Just do it. They lost 8-6. To the last place Giants. As the article headline aptly  conveyed...the Dodgers lost...again...and it took forever.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2017/9/12/16293992/dodgers-giants-11-game-losing-streak-record

When you've been on a losing streak this long and no one can figure out why it makes you wonder why you won so many games
previously. We had SIX players on the All-Star team game two months ago.

Why?

THIS MAKES NO SENSE.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #6824 on: September 12, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »