The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Mourning Someone Who Has Died  (Read 695128 times)

Offline bbmbliss

• Truly Scrumptious
  • Obsessed
  • Love is where it falls
Re: Mourning Someone Who Has Died
« Reply #540 on: January 26, 2007, 01:00:10 AM »
Sometimes the passing of an acquaintance can hit us as hard as a family member... reminds one of the preciousness of life, it's shortness, and how important it is to treat everyone in every passing moment with respect and compassion.

This is so right Rob - thanks.
I know why the caged bird sings.  The caged bird sings of freedom. - Maya Angelou

Offline lovelyamazing

• Gyllenigma
  • Obsessed
  • There are places we can't return
    • Harvey Meets Jack
« Reply #541 on: January 26, 2007, 01:21:02 AM »
Years ago, after my grandma's funeral, priest said to her children "the only thing we owe to those who have died, the only debt we have to pay, is to live to the fullest."

((((((((((((((((Rob))))))))))))))))))

You know I just read this post and I'm thinking how true ... I'm trying now to do this as much as possible.
Thank you for these words
"Once in a while
someone comes along
and changes everything
you believe about yourself"

Offline janiceinla

• Obsessed
« Reply #542 on: January 26, 2007, 06:50:18 AM »
Janice, thank you so much for taking the time to write up this post, and share it with us.

(((((((Janice)))))))

Thank you Chuck.

Offline janiceinla

• Obsessed
« Reply #543 on: January 26, 2007, 06:54:32 AM »
Oh Janice,hon.........much hugs to you...I'm glad we're here for you now.

(((JANICE)))

Nellie

Thanks Nellie.  I thought I could come in here at work, look at the responses and reply but tears are rolling down my cheeks as I write.  Chuck, please forgive the short reply.  I will come back to this thread tonight when I get home or tomorrow but I just can't do this right now.  Please understand.  Thanks.

Janice

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #544 on: January 26, 2007, 10:24:25 AM »
As I often discover on this forum, I've visited the serious threads like this one, offered support, but never really shared any of my own experiences, other than brief stories.

This May will mark the 4th year since I lost my grandmother, my mom's mom.

She did not have an easy life, having "had to" get married, and spent her entire life with a man that was verbally abusive towards her.  My mom was their only child.

Gram was quick to anger, because of her situation, but she never took it out on her grandkids.  However, we could tell she was not happy.

Near the end, her behavior started to get very erratic, and she was diagnosed with Dementia, and we were fortunate to find a great Alzheimer’s facility with a caring staff, and she was able to end her life surrounded by caring people.

We received a call from the facility one morning, that gram had been taken to the hospital, unable to take decent breaths.  Her lungs were filling with fluid, and she was diagnosed with emphysema.  She never smoked a day in her life, but Gramp's 2 pack a day habit had its affect on her as well.  When we got to the hospital, they had drained her lungs, and she was breathing again.  However, we were told this was not a good situation.

Not long after, we got a similar call, and they took gram to the hospital, and mom went with her.  Dad, my brothers and I were at home, as the facility was about an hour ride away.  Gram was always afraid of doctors and needles, and mom could hear her mother screaming in the room when the doctors approached her.  She called the facility, and they told mom to let gram stay in the hospital overnight, and to discharge her the next day, and have her come back to the Alzheimer’s facility.  Not to worry, they would take care of everything.

When mom got gram back there the next day, they had taken a spare room, and given it a fresh coat of blue paint, hung up pictures, and moved in two beds, one for gram, and one for mom.  They told her she could sleep there, and would provide meals for mom as well.

Gram held in for another week, and Mom lived there for that week with Gram.  Due to work issues, we were unable to go each night, but we called and talked to mom every night.

Saturday came, and mom called to say Gram was failing, and we piled in the cars, and drove as quickly as we could.  We got there to see mom in the room, and Gram in the bed, but it was not quick enough, and by the time we got there, Gram had crossed over.

Mom said it was peaceful, and that she preferred it be this way, so she had private time with her mother, to say what she had to say.

I've had many conversations with mom over her time alone with gram, and I believe her when she says she was glad it was just her and her mom in the room, but to be honest, I still carry much guilt over the fact that mom (who had always been there when we needed her) had to face the death of her mother alone.

There is a silver lining here.  The Alzheimer’s facility decided to keep the room that gram & mom stayed in as a "hospice room", and any future family members that want to do what mom did with her mom, can stay there with their family member in peace, and since gram was the first person to stay there, they have named the room after her in her honor.

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #545 on: January 26, 2007, 10:47:04 AM »
Chucky,

What a touching story...so glad you decided to share with us. It's hard to really understand that for your mom,this was important for her to be alone with her mom . Even though she was alone,the strength your mom got to get her going was right there....in that room ,alone. Having anyone else there would of changed things for her. Of course loving your mom you feel the need to protect her...but let me tell ya, mom's can hold their own...I'm a mom too,so I know. That's what makes us strong and that's what teaches us to keep the family together. Having your support and that of the rest of the family afterwards is what it's all about...

Hugs hon...

Nellie
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline lovelyamazing

• Gyllenigma
  • Obsessed
  • There are places we can't return
    • Harvey Meets Jack
« Reply #546 on: January 26, 2007, 12:11:13 PM »

I've had many conversations with mom over her time alone with gram, and I believe her when she says she was glad it was just her and her mom in the room, but to be honest, I still carry much guilt over the fact that mom (who had always been there when we needed her) had to face the death of her mother alone.

There is a silver lining here.  The Alzheimer’s facility decided to keep the room that gram & mom stayed in as a "hospice room", and any future family members that want to do what mom did with her mom, can stay there with their family member in peace, and since gram was the first person to stay there, they have named the room after her in her honor.

That's a beautiful story Chuck ... thanks for sharing. I agree with Nellie about the strength of moms -- though I'm not one myself I could get the vibes from my beloved mom till the end.
"Once in a while
someone comes along
and changes everything
you believe about yourself"

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #547 on: January 26, 2007, 12:47:32 PM »
Wonderful, Chuck. Thank you.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #548 on: January 26, 2007, 03:46:09 PM »
Here's a rather strange one:  this week I found out that one of the conductors on the train I take up and back to work died on Jan. 19 in a car crash.  Tom was a big goofy guy - but he was always in a good mood and you could tell that he really liked people.  He clearly wasn't always the most perceptive person in the world - in one of our last conversations I was talking about gay bashing and he said 'you mean you're gay?'  It lead to a really good conversation (he told me about how his coworker - a meticulous dresser - was always getting hit on by guys).  We had lots of laughs.

Sarah, a friend who I introduced to Linda while she was here, told me about this on Tuesday.  I find I'm quite sad about it.  He was only in his 40s or so and one of the other conductors was just telling me he had decided that he had made enough money and that he was going to stop working and have a good time.

So here's to you Tom!  Have a good time running those trains in heaven, buddy!

Thanks for mentioning this Michael, as I think I remember you and Sarah speaking of Tom when we were together.
I am sorry for his family's loss and for yours as well.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #549 on: February 01, 2007, 08:53:42 AM »
Today is my mother-in-law's birthday....sweet memories are flooding my head and I feel such a warmth inside. The pain still hurts but I can move on and smile.

Happy Birthday, Mary....I love you!!

To My Other Mother

You are the other Mother I received,
the day I wed your son
And I want to thank you Mom,
for the loving things you've done.

You've given me a gracious Man,
with whom I share my life
You are his lovely Mother,
and I his lucky Wife.

You used to pat his little head,
and now I hold his hand
You raised in love a little boy,
and then gave me the Man.

Nellie

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #550 on: February 01, 2007, 10:12:19 AM »
((((((((((((((((((Nellie))))))))))))))))))))))  All my love, sis.   :-*
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
Mom said it was peaceful, and that she preferred it be this way, so she had private time with her mother, to say what she had to say.

Chuck this just struck a chord with me,  because I was alone with my Mom when she died.  And it didn't seem odd to me at all, just the way it should be.  I wouldn't have changed it for the world.

My Dad was home that day and so was my husband and boys.

I know sometimes people have the whole family around, but we/she never wanted that.  I know my boys also feel guitly about it, but I try and explain to them, it was what Grandma wanted. 

(((HUGS)))

FUNGURL

Offline All4one

• Expert
« Reply #552 on: February 01, 2007, 11:33:40 AM »
I was alone with my dad when he died. ( I talked about it a few days ago in the thread about support for those who are quiiting smoking. )
It was just right that way. We were in the hospital, and it was so peaceful that I didn't even go look for the nurse for half an hour.

Having that comforting space named for your grandmother is a lovely honor for your family,Chuck.  :)
"One's enough"  A.P.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #553 on: February 01, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
Same for me, at Rick's death. Both boys and both his best friends had been there all night, and I sent everyone home about 7AM and told everyone to get some rest.

He was lasting longer than the doctors had anticipated, for by this time he was on comfort care, and we were told that he would not last the night. He proved them wrong.

I was the only one with him for the next hour and a half. I finally leaned over and whispered to him that  it was OK for him to go, that I would be alright. I was holding his hand and his heart stopped about 15 minutes later.

As Donna stated, it was the right way, as he had been staying around for us all. It was a beautiful moment, and I too just sat with him for awhile.

"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
« Reply #554 on: February 01, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »
(((((((((((((((((EVERYONE)))))))))))))))))))