The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Columbine  (Read 264690 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Columbine
« Reply #660 on: March 04, 2012, 02:21:52 PM »
Why Do We Keep Telling The Same False Stories About School Shooters?

Columbine to Chardon, our explanations for why students shoot their classmates are often misinformed, if not completely wrong. Dave Cullen has ways to stop the myth machine.

If there was one positive to emerge from the horrific school shooting in Chardon, Ohio, this week, it was that T.J. Lane, the alleged shooter, lived through the crime. In doing so, Lane may have inadvertently helped to slow the myth machine that kicks into gear after every similar attack.

In Chardon, it took just 24 hours for two storylines to emerge: that Lane was bullied, and that he was targeting specific students.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/03/why-do-we-keep-telling-the-same-false-stories-about-school-shooters.html
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #661 on: March 04, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »
How to stop the next Columbine

Listening will save kids’ lives

By Dave Cullen / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The burning question since news of another school shooting broke, this one in Chardon, Ohio, has been why? That’s a polite version of the question dearer to every terrified parent: How do we make it stop?

After each tragedy, I get inundated by parents and reporters searching for “warning signs.” Surely, kids crazy enough to shoot their classmates are whipping out a daily flurry of “red flags.”

Actually, no. Very few are crazy. They are not acting insane. We cannot quarantine them or profile our way out of this problem. But there is another way.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/stop-columbine-article-1.1032152
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #662 on: March 04, 2012, 02:33:31 PM »
On Tuesday, March 6, at 11:30 AM,  Dave will be on NPR's @TellMeMoreNPR at 11:30a ET discussing youth violence in light of Chardon/Columbine.
... Kierkegaard

Offline janjo

• Obsessed
« Reply #663 on: March 04, 2012, 04:33:48 PM »
How to stop the next Columbine

Listening will save kids’ lives

By Dave Cullen / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

The burning question since news of another school shooting broke, this one in Chardon, Ohio, has been why? That’s a polite version of the question dearer to every terrified parent: How do we make it stop?

After each tragedy, I get inundated by parents and reporters searching for “warning signs.” Surely, kids crazy enough to shoot their classmates are whipping out a daily flurry of “red flags.”

Actually, no. Very few are crazy. They are not acting insane. We cannot quarantine them or profile our way out of this problem. But there is another way.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/stop-columbine-article-1.1032152

We can only hope that there are people out there who are listening.
Brokeback short stories at storybyjanjo.livejournal.com

"Are birds free from the chains of the skyway?"
Ballad in plain D: Bob Dylan

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #664 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »
Dave will make an appearance on BOOK IT with Alan Goldsher, on Thursday 9/13/12 at 6 PM EDT.

http://shindig.com/event/bookit-cullen

Dave, the author of "Columbine," and I are going to discuss, among other things, how the hell he wrote such a freaking good book. He'll also take live, real time questions from you, the viewer.

... Kierkegaard

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #665 on: March 05, 2013, 08:52:07 PM »
I did a bunch of TV shows after Newtown, and I created links to the big ones on the top of this page:

http://www.davecullen.com/watch/tv-radio-video-interviews-dave-cullen.htm

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #666 on: March 05, 2013, 10:25:07 PM »
Thanks for putting these all together, Dave!
... Kierkegaard

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #667 on: July 12, 2016, 02:07:04 PM »
I haven't read Dave Cullen's book on the Columbine shootings, but I did read reviews about it a few years ago.  Some people had some negative things to say about Dave.  I know that this particular thread hasn't received a post in years, but is "Columbine" still going to be adapted into a television miniseries.  Personally, I think that a theatrical documentary film would be better.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #668 on: July 12, 2016, 02:19:11 PM »
I'm pretty sure Dave's holding off till Monday for answers of these questions - but they're all good ones!  [And Sandy maps!  I love maps.  That was one of the things I liked about 'Under the Banner of Heaven' - good maps!]

I have never read "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer, but I have heard it mentioned so many times, it is about the Fundamentalist Mormons I think.  I am an ex-Mormon.  Has anyone else seen a film by Gus Van Sant called "Elephant" which was inspired by the Columbine High School shootings?  I read some reviews about that film, including one from a very homophobic person who I think may have suggested that LGBT kids be drove out of society by the military, I cannot remember what the person said exactly, but their commenting was hateful and very disturbing.  I guess some people never learn.