The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Our Book Club: Book Selection & Organizational Issues  (Read 313991 times)

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
Re: Our Book Club -- Organizational Issues
« Reply #120 on: June 24, 2006, 01:33:52 PM »

Michael,

The list was great, but since i recommended "The Power of the Dog," i voted for it. Would have been happy with many of the others, and will probably start reading some of them later on. Thanks again!

You're certainly welcome!  Yes, I placed several of the books people recommended on the list - I think if you recommended it, you should go right ahead and vote for it.  It's a pretty good list, IMHO.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline playitagain

• Sweet Life
  • Obsessed
  • just sending up a prayer of thanks
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2006, 10:54:41 AM »

Michael,

The list was great, but since i recommended "The Power of the Dog," i voted for it. Would have been happy with many of the others, and will probably start reading some of them later on. Thanks again!

You're certainly welcome!  Yes, I placed several of the books people recommended on the list - I think if you recommended it, you should go right ahead and vote for it.  It's a pretty good list, IMHO.

Yes a great list, Michael and others - glad to see a few besides myself interested in Ed White - more about this guy?   http://www.edmundwhite.com/
"Why so serious?"

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #122 on: June 26, 2006, 08:47:54 PM »

Yes a great list, Michael and others - glad to see a few besides myself interested in Ed White - more about this guy? http://www.edmundwhite.com/

Playitagain, The Edmund White story sounds fascinating -- i printed out the website you posted from the Stephen Barber article -- if this is selected, i will look forward to reading it.
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Nick_F

« Reply #123 on: June 27, 2006, 04:25:30 PM »
A Boy's Own Story is wonderful, evocatively and sensitively written. Flowing prose that draws you through the story. You find yourself discovering the emotions and realizations as the protagonist does.

It has stuck with me for the 20 years since I read it. Although completely unlike it in terms of story/drama, the intmacy of the style reminds me so much of "To Kill a Mockingbird".

The God of Small Things - is unforgettable. Stylistically like nothing else I have ever read, the generation of metal imagery of the time, the place, the life is unequalled. I liked it in the same way as Maya Angelou's "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", it evokes similar emotions in me, although there is no commonalitt in the stories at all.

Having said that, my vote went to Perfume - one of the few books that i have finished and then started again immediately. I really don't have the time to participate in the club at the moment in terms of reading and discussion, but I am so excited by the new choices/recommendations of books that I am seeing......

Nick

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #124 on: June 27, 2006, 05:01:44 PM »
A Boy's Own Story is wonderful, evocatively and sensitively written. Flowing prose that draws you through the story. You find yourself discovering the emotions and realizations as the protagonist does.

It has stuck with me for the 20 years since I read it. Although completely unlike it in terms of story/drama, the intmacy of the style reminds me so much of "To Kill a Mockingbird".

The God of Small Things - is unforgettable. Stylistically like nothing else I have ever read, the generation of metal imagery of the time, the place, the life is unequalled. I liked it in the same way as Maya Angelou's "I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings", it evokes similar emotions in me, although there is no commonalitt in the stories at all.

Having said that, my vote went to Perfume - one of the few books that i have finished and then started again immediately. I really don't have the time to participate in the club at the moment in terms of reading and discussion, but I am so excited by the new choices/recommendations of books that I am seeing......

Nick

It's a shame that you won't be joining us on this go round Nick, but I have the feeling we'll be doing this a while (we're nearly up to 400 posts on 'Postcards' so I think we may be able to keep the conversation going).  Thanks very much for your suggestions - they were great choices!

Michael
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2006, 11:18:03 AM »

Michael,

Just had to compliment you on your beautiful, lyrical descriptions of the books on the list, especially "Three Junes," which I read a while back. Want to read them all, drat you, your words were poetic and soaring!! Sigh...
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2006, 02:46:09 PM »

I've read good things about the Australian award-winning writer Tim Winton, and I recently picked up his "Dirt Music", but haven't started it yet.  I noticed that it even has discussion questions for book clubs in the back of the book.    (I've also read that Heath Ledger and Rachel Weisz are slated to have the lead roles when the movie is made).   Might be one to add to the list.
That would be my vote. :)  I finished it last week and thought it was very good and definitely interesting. :)
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline notBastet

• Obsessed
« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2006, 11:32:34 AM »
i've been checking the poll every day since it was posted; just to narrate for you: "Will God of Small Things or Front Runner pull out from the pack and take the lead... or is it A Boy's Own Story all the way?"  (picture a horse race of sorts)  ;D
"Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace..."

John Lennon

Offline notBastet

• Obsessed
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2006, 04:35:45 PM »
more narration:

"Hold on folks, Front Runner seems about to give A Boy's Own Story a run for his money."  :o

(muchos apologies if I am only entertaining myself...
"Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace..."

John Lennon

Offline KittyHawk

• Senior Advisor
  • Obsessed
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2006, 04:57:13 PM »
NotBastet, you're entertaining me, too!  :D Love a good horse race!

My local book club has read three of the entries which are trailing the leaders: The God of Small Things, The Magician's Assistant, and Three Junes. All three were very well received and generated much good discussion. (My personal favorite though is another of Patchett's books, Bel Canto. Beautifully done.) However, I voted for Front Runner because it seems to be a classic and I've never read it.

- KittyHawk

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2006, 02:32:41 PM »
Just a quick note to acknowledge that we have our next book for the book club: 'A Boy's Own Story' by Edmund White.  We will begin reading the week of 7/17 (this will give people 2 weeks to get the book).  I haven't decided the schedule yet - the book is 217 pages long - so it's about a hundred pages shorter than 'Postcards'.  I'm thinking that in order to have enough to discuss we might want to do this in 3 weeks and read 1/3 of the book each time, but at this point I'm open to persuasion.  Opinions?

Desecra

« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2006, 03:18:25 PM »
I missed the beginning of the first book, and now the second book is one I've already read!  Maybe I'll manage to join you for the third :).

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2006, 06:55:01 PM »
I missed the beginning of the first book, and now the second book is one I've already read!  Maybe I'll manage to join you for the third :).

Well...you know we'd love to get your input on 'Boy's Own Story' as we're reading it.  I hope you'll stop by even though you've already read it.  I have too (although it was over 20 years ago)  :D

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
Please note that I've started a new thread "Book Club July Selection: Boy's Own Story by Edmund White" - the first post there reflects the article in today's Daily Sheet and gives organizational information:

We will start each book discussion on Monday 7/17.  Due to the size of the book
(it's 218 pages) we will be discussing the book in thirds (that's approximately 76 pages per
week).  This first third of the book (through chapter 4) will be discussed from 7/17 to 7/24,
the second third (though chapter 6) from 7/24 through 7/31 and the final third (chapter 6)
from 7/31 to 8/7.

Desecra

« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2006, 02:09:44 PM »

Well...you know we'd love to get your input on 'Boy's Own Story' as we're reading it.  I hope you'll stop by even though you've already read it.  I have too (although it was over 20 years ago)  :D

Thank you!  I read it a long time ago - not quite so long ago as you.  I DO remember that I enjoyed it, and it was worth reading, but sadly, I don't remember much else about it!  Maybe it's time to give it another go.