The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Our Book Club: Book Selection & Organizational Issues  (Read 314031 times)

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
Re: Our Book Club: Book Selection & Organizational Issues
« Reply #705 on: May 18, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
also some people might want to participate who will need time to get the book.

mid June is good
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #706 on: May 18, 2009, 03:32:24 PM »
also some people might want to participate who will need time to get the book.

mid June is good

Okay good!  I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone catch up and then start together.  This will give me a chance to go back and revisit the book at a leisurely pace and develop question [yeah, right...I probably will be up late the night before, as with everything else!  ::)]

Thanks Ellen!
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #707 on: May 18, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »
Sounds great to me! Thank you Michael you are a love. :-* :-* :-*

Thank you!  Get well soon!  :-*
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #708 on: May 18, 2009, 04:29:46 PM »
I've yet to get the book too. I've been meaning to stop by B&N each Sunday morning, but something has always come up. It's hard to get into that shopping center during the week.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Nikki

• Ephemera
  • Obsessed
  • Never enough time, never enough
« Reply #709 on: May 18, 2009, 05:17:15 PM »
I am going into hospital for a few days at the end of next week to have the metalwork, (which was put in following a very nasty hiking accident in 2001), taken out of my knee. I have ordered Dave's book to read while I am recovering.
Would it be possible to hold the discussion until those of us on this side of the Atlantic have time to read the book?

Ow!  Good luck with the surgery!

Yes, of course it will be possible to wait.  I already was planning on waiting until Nikki had read the book, so I would be happy to wait for you as well.  Should we plan on starting in mid-June?

Thanks, Michael.  Mid-June sounds fine, but I will defer to Janjo if she isn't ready by then and recovering, I hope.
The shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

If he does not force his attention on it, it might stoke the day, rewarm that old, cold time on the mountain when they owned the world and nothing seemed wrong.

Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive
But to be young was very heaven!

Offline dejavu

• may the snowy egret live
  • Obsessed
« Reply #710 on: May 18, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »
Ow!  Good luck with the surgery!

Yes, of course it will be possible to wait.  I already was planning on waiting until Nikki had read the book, so I would be happy to wait for you as well.  Should we plan on starting in mid-June?

Good luck, Jess!

Michael, mid-June would be perfect for me.  I'll be getting back from Colorado about then, and will be home for a month (except for the weekend in SF).

I think it would be a really good book to discuss.  It's factual, but it's open to a lot of interpretation and a discussion of our reactions.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #711 on: May 18, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Mid June works for me as well.  My copy arrived in the mail, but I haven't had the time to read it yet.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #712 on: May 18, 2009, 06:23:34 PM »
Mid June works for me as well.  My copy arrived in the mail, but I haven't had the time to read it yet.

Great news Chuck & Debbie!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #713 on: May 18, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »
Works for me too Michael. I may go back over it again, since I have read it, but that time frame is good for me.

Thanks for doing this.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #714 on: May 18, 2009, 06:52:28 PM »
Works for me too Michael. I may go back over it again, since I have read it, but that time frame is good for me.

Thanks for doing this.

Glad to do it, Linda.  Glad you'll be there too.

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #715 on: May 18, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »
Michael,

I know I haven't been on in a long time, but count me in for the Book Club discussion on Columbine. Mid June is fine, I have read and reread the book and would love to participate.. I have been in touch with Dave through email, talking about my impressions, but would love to have an opportunity to share thoughts about this literary piece. It still resonates with me profoundly. And I am very happy for Dave with the evident success of the book. How great is that?!! Hello! to all!! Caroline
How strong a person is can be measured by what it takes to discourage them.... church sign, Trafalgar Rd, Georgetown, Ont Canada.. 01/30/2006

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #716 on: May 18, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
Fantastic Caroline!!! I'll look forward to being here with you!!
I am anxious to discuss it as well. I have read it and was able to attend when Dave was in northern California for his book signing!!!

Looking forward to seeing you here!!!!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #717 on: May 18, 2009, 07:43:30 PM »
Linda,
I've been bugging Dave about coming up to Toronto.. :D  Unless the publishing company foots the bill, he isn't going to be able to come up this way.. I am thinking of starting up a booth somewhere on our subway line with the caption of : Bring Dave Here.. Not sure if this will work... ha ha ;)  I am looking forward to this thread, though, a chance to put thoughts to thread, as so many have done regarding BBM.. What a great venue... And I get the feeling that alot of people will be on here, just because of the incredible support everyone is giving Dave...
How strong a person is can be measured by what it takes to discourage them.... church sign, Trafalgar Rd, Georgetown, Ont Canada.. 01/30/2006

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #718 on: May 18, 2009, 07:47:49 PM »
We were very lucky to have Dave here in the SF area.
Looking forward to the discussions!!!
... Kierkegaard

Offline Caroline

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #719 on: May 18, 2009, 07:52:18 PM »
No kidding.. very lucky... I was so thrilled to see Columbine at number #3 on the NYT Best Sellers List.. I kept telling people that I knew a best selling author!! ;D ;D  Will Michael need any help, youthink?