The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Our Book Club: Book Selection & Organizational Issues  (Read 313866 times)

Offline Junior

• Experienced
Re: Our Book Club
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2006, 08:17:43 AM »
Maybe we should buy the books from Amazon, through this Forum. Every little bit that Dave gets will be a help.

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2006, 11:50:53 AM »
You bet!

And in the interest of having a head start on finding the next book, maybe we could do as was suggested by someone and decided on the next book half-way through the first one?

Sounds like a great idea to me Junior.  I'll put up another poll halfway through.

mf
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2006, 11:55:27 AM »
Maybe we should buy the books from Amazon, through this Forum. Every little bit that Dave gets will be a help.

Sure!  That would work.  Being a librarian I naturally think of just going to the library, but if you want to purchase the book that would be a good idea.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

Offline Junior

• Experienced
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2006, 05:25:48 AM »
Sure!  That would work.  Being a librarian I naturally think of just going to the library, but if you want to purchase the book that would be a good idea.

Actually, mf, I'm hoping I can get most of them from a library, but that sometimes takes a while using inter-library loan (I'm rural). (Also, I don't mind giving Annie a little more of my money.) That's why I brought up about the early choice for the second one to give it more time to be found. Glad you agree with that idea! I've gotten books from libraries all over the country before but it might take several weeks to accomplish.

Thanks for spearheading this!

Offline peteinportland

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2006, 05:54:02 AM »

Actually as soon as we get our Amazon book page up, we plan to feature the Book of the Month chosen by the book club to make it easy to purchase (and help the forum as well).

Pete

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2006, 10:47:00 AM »
I would suggest that as opposed to a haphazard approach we could split the book into quarters (or the closest chapter we would come to) and discuss them once a week - our likes, dislikes, questions, general thoughs, plot points, character development, etc.

I would further suggest that it would probably be a good idea to do this on a weekend, so that those who work would have a good chance to catch up if they needed to.

The nice thing about an online book group is that if you haven't caught up, you wouldn't need to read the thread till you were.  And you could read and post after the fact.

I'd be glad to act as a group leader here, if no one has any problem with that.

I'm going to put up a poll with people to vote on suggestions.  We should  be able to come up with our book by the beginning of next week and then give ourselves the remainder of the week to pick up the book.  That would put us in line to discuss the first quarter on the weekend of 6/2, the second quarter on 6/9,  the third on 6/16 and the final quarter on the weekend of 6/23.

This sound okay to all?

That all sounds good.

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2006, 11:01:56 AM »
I was supposed to read Postcards in grad school, tried, but it was just deathly boring. She definitely hit a high point with Brokeback.

The Jim Harrison book sounds intriguing to me. Or perhaps All The Pretty Horses. I've been meaning to check that out.

Offline amdaz

• Jackoholicus Maximus
  • Obsessed
  • Forever Blue
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2006, 11:56:16 AM »
I'm in!
This is going to be so much fun, I'm excited.
I chose Heart Songs, but everything on that list will be great.

helen_uk

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »
Could we have longer to get the book....or could we have a list of the first 6 months books or something so if any are not available in the UK or other places we have time to order them?

I just recently ordered books from Amazon.com and they took 3 weeks to get here.

Offline Ellen (tellyouwhat)

• Proulx 101
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • resist the corporate Taliban
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2006, 12:50:48 PM »
I have one more comment that I haven't seen here yet -- since this is an on-line book club, what about checking in weekly to discuss as we go along?  Or, as the other poster suggested, dividing the # of chapters or pages throughout the month, and those who want to check in weekly could do so.  No spoilers, don't read ahead (or at any rate, don't DISCUSS ahead) - just a thought.
sometimes I think life is just a rodeo the trick is to ride and make it 'til the bell --john fogerty

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2006, 01:21:47 PM »
I have one more comment that I haven't seen here yet -- since this is an on-line book club, what about checking in weekly to discuss as we go along?  Or, as the other poster suggested, dividing the # of chapters or pages throughout the month, and those who want to check in weekly could do so.  No spoilers, don't read ahead (or at any rate, don't DISCUSS ahead) - just a thought.

I think I covered that - is this what you mean?

I would suggest that as opposed to a haphazard approach we could split the book into quarters (or the closest chapter we would come to) and discuss them once a week - our likes, dislikes, questions, general thoughs, plot points, character development, etc.

I'm going to put up a poll with people to vote on suggestions.  We should  be able to come up with our book by the beginning of next week and then give ourselves the remainder of the week to pick up the book.  That would put us in line to discuss the first quarter on the weekend of 6/2, the second quarter on 6/9,  the third on 6/16 and the final quarter on the weekend of 6/23.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2006, 01:26:19 PM »
Could we have longer to get the book....or could we have a list of the first 6 months books or something so if any are not available in the UK or other places we have time to order them?

I just recently ordered books from Amazon.com and they took 3 weeks to get here.

I'd love to give more time for the first book, but I think the sooner we get started the better (and there have been people on the thread asking for us to get started already).  If you p.m. me I'll see if I can find a place near you that has the book we choose, if you like.  And we could, indeed, select a second and third book from the poll we've posted - how would the rest of the readers feel about this? [This is a pretty common practice in book clubs - if you look at them they often schedule as much as 6 months in advance].

Desecra

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »
What about having a book club discussion thread with spoilers, and one without?  Or have a thread for each book?  Am I just making it more complicated than it needs to be? :)

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2006, 02:54:23 PM »
What about having a book club discussion thread with spoilers, and one without?  Or have a thread for each book?  Am I just making it more complicated than it needs to be? :)

Well...my comment would be yes, that's more complicated than I would hope for - if we split the book into quarters then you could just come to the forum expecting that you will find material up to that point in the book.

That being said, I don't think there would be a huge problem if somebody posted something ahead of schedule if they warned us that they were doing that with a 'spoiler warning'.  Opinions?

Offline Poohbunn

• Obsessed
  • Freedom ain't free.
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2006, 03:57:49 PM »
I love bookclubs.  I don't care which book we start with, but I do hope we dig into some more of Annie's great writing!

Pooh
Not all who wander are lost.
JRR Tolkien