The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Our Book Club: Book Selection & Organizational Issues  (Read 313989 times)

Offline Junior

• Experienced
Re: Our Book Club
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2006, 04:07:22 PM »
I would like to see just the one thread. Since a lot of us are new to this I think it is fair to say that there will be some tweaking needed after we get started, but I would like to see us stick together as much as possible.

helen_uk

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2006, 01:04:38 AM »
What about having a book club discussion thread with spoilers, and one without?  Or have a thread for each book?  Am I just making it more complicated than it needs to be? :)

I think it would be a good idea to have a thread solely for the discussion of the books...and a thread (this one) for talking about what books to do and who's interested and all the other chat surrounding the topic.

I also think that having a time limit on the discussion would be helpful so that once we start a new book the thread doesn't get complicated by someone coming in and commenting on a previous book.

Offline Junior

• Experienced
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2006, 03:31:40 AM »

I think it would be a good idea to have a thread solely for the discussion of the books...and a thread (this one) for talking about what books to do and who's interested and all the other chat surrounding the topic.

I also think that having a time limit on the discussion would be helpful so that once we start a new book the thread doesn't get complicated by someone coming in and commenting on a previous book.

Two really good suggestions, helen. My comment about the one thread was aimed at one thread for the book discussion rather than one with spoilers and one without. Announcing a spoiler seems wise but keep it in the same thread.

Offline Missy

• Experienced
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2006, 11:42:16 AM »
I just saw this in the news box, and while I don't usually post much, I'm an avid reader and have always wanted to be in a book club. I've cast my vote for either All the Pretty Horses or That Old Ace in the Hole, but reading anything would be good for me. This was a great idea! :)
"Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"

Offline michaelflanagansf

• Forum Librarian and buckle bunny
  • Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2006, 02:33:45 PM »

Hi Helen,

These are both good suggestions.  I'll get a thread set up for the first book when we choose it.  However, as opposed to setting a time limit for discussion, what if we were to have threads for each book as we discuss them?  That would allow for discussion after the group has moved on, and yet not interfere with the current book discussion.

mf
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2006, 02:35:59 PM »
I just saw this in the news box, and while I don't usually post much, I'm an avid reader and have always wanted to be in a book club. I've cast my vote for either All the Pretty Horses or That Old Ace in the Hole, but reading anything would be good for me. This was a great idea! :)

Thanks Missy and welcome!  I'll be posting our decision here in about 2 days (and it will probably appear in the News Box and The Daily Sheet as well) and we'll proceed from there.
Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl R. Popper

helen_uk

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2006, 02:59:36 PM »
However, as opposed to setting a time limit for discussion, what if we were to have threads for each book as we discuss them?  That would allow for discussion after the group has moved on, and yet not interfere with the current book discussion.

That's a good idea...then we'd all know where we were :)

helen_uk

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2006, 03:01:22 PM »
I can buy "Postcards" from Amazon UK, so will order that when the poll closes seeing as it looks the winner for this month.

I read some online reviews - doesn't look like it's going to be an easy read!!

Oh - and have we decided whether we're going to read the whole thing then start talking....or are we doing it ch. by ch. ?

Offline Dave Cullen

• Author/Journalist
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Founder, Editor
    • Columbine
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2006, 09:15:28 PM »
Could we have longer to get the book....or could we have a list of the first 6 months books or something so if any are not available in the UK or other places we have time to order them?

I just recently ordered books from Amazon.com and they took 3 weeks to get here.

Thanks for bringing that up. I had not realized that logistical problem. I think we can work on lining some things up in advance, especially once we get going, but for the first couple books I think we really need to play it by ear and see how people respond to the first book or two, and listen to the feedback we get about directions people want to head.

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2006, 09:27:24 PM »
I can buy "Postcards" from Amazon UK, so will order that when the poll closes seeing as it looks the winner for this month.

I read some online reviews - doesn't look like it's going to be an easy read!!

Oh - and have we decided whether we're going to read the whole thing then start talking....or are we doing it ch. by ch. ?

Ah well...I'm just coming round the bend on 'Shipping News' (I'm in the last chapter) so 'Postcards' doesn't seem too daunting to me just at the moment.  I may eat my words, however.

I proposed that we go a quarter of the book each week, Helen.  Here's the schedule I proposed:

We should  be able to come up with our book by the beginning of next week and then give ourselves the remainder of the week to pick up the book.  That would put us in line to discuss the first quarter on the weekend of 6/2, the second quarter on 6/9,  the third on 6/16 and the final quarter on the weekend of 6/23.

In 'Postcards' this would mean approximately 77 pages per week.  This would put us through chapter 13 in the first week, chapter 27 in the second week, chapter 40 in the third week and chapter 58 (the end) in the last week.

Offline Lynne

• Feet Wet
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2006, 10:24:52 PM »
I did not vote because all of these look like terrific choices.  The only one I've already read (besides Annie Proulx, of course) is 'All the Pretty Horses'.  I'm really looking forward to this.  Thank you to the organizers!
-Lynne
'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.'
Martin Luther King, Jr., Letter from a Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Offline mary

• Moderator Emerita
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2006, 10:35:04 PM »
I like the idea of reading Postcards since the postcards were also a theme in BBM.  (I saw today that another one of the postcards is for sale on ebay)

I also like the idea of selecting books that have been out a while since if you can more easily find them in paperback or at the library
never enough time, never enough....

Some fictional characters are less fictional than others

Offline TraceOfMe

• Obsessed
  • "Life is what you make it, all you have is today."
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2006, 10:45:02 PM »
So...we'll start reading the book in May?
"Seeing differently is believing differently and leads to different ways of living."

"Without some goal and effort to reach it, no man can live."
~Fyodor Dostoyevsky

• Team Cullen
  • Obsessed
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2006, 12:57:25 AM »
So...we'll start reading the book in May?

Yep.  We can all start as soon as the voting is over tomorrow.  Then we'll discuss the first quarter on the weekend of 6/2, the second quarter on 6/9,  the third on 6/16 and the final quarter on the weekend of 6/23.

Offline Boris

• The Iceman melteth
  • Obsessed
  • I was just thinkin' out loud.
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2006, 01:40:29 AM »
I'm in. Academic Bookstore in Helsinki carries Postcards. I wanted to wait until you have decided the first book before coming in.

I have never been in a book club before, but I have a feeling I can get the hang of it.

The language of Ms. Proulx has proved to be somewhat difficult for me in the past, do you mind if in some time or another I need some help with translation of a phrase or two?
"A theater is the most important sort of house in the world, because that's where people are shown what they could be if they wanted, and what they'd liked to be if they dared, and what they really are." -Tove Jansson-