The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Ooops - the Little Brits Discussion  (Read 339588 times)

helen_uk

Ooops - the Little Brits Discussion
« on: January 26, 2006, 11:06:26 AM »
LOL - Only just noticed this thread was here...hot on the heels of realising I could change the time on the forum to GMT!

I am Helen, I live in a small village about 30 miles from London.  I'm 36. 

Um, hello!   :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 04:12:25 PM by fritzkep »

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Ooops - the little Brits discussion
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 03:47:28 PM »
LOL - Only just noticed this thread was here...hot on the heels of realising I could change the time on the forum to GMT!

A really BIG hello back and WELCOME to you Helen.  :D
It is so good of your to join us. I see that you posted much earlier, so considering the time difference you may already be in bed. I do hope you will join us in conversations here and don't be shy. We are having more and more people becoming BBM family from all of the world as the movie opens worldwide. It is stupendous to see. :o

You started in the right place, now go out and read as much as you can and then just start sharing your thoughts and feelings about any and all topics or threads. Everyone will welcome you with wide open arms ;D

Hope to see you many places.

killersmom
If you don't impact someone, then this is all a waste.
Chris Rosati
1971-2017

Offline paintedshoes

• Movie Lover
  • Obsessed
  • Well, I won't! "Til the next time, my friends!"
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 08:24:51 PM »

A really BIG hello back and WELCOME to you Helen.  :D
It is so good of your to join us. I see that you posted much earlier, so considering the time difference you may already be in bed. I do hope you will join us in conversations here and don't be shy. We are having more and more people becoming BBM family from all of the world as the movie opens worldwide. It is stupendous to see. :o

You started in the right place, now go out and read as much as you can and then just start sharing your thoughts and feelings about any and all topics or threads. Everyone will welcome you with wide open arms ;D

Hope to see you many places.

killersmom

Welcom, helen_uk,
Killersmom is right, this is the most welcoming place I think I have ever been.  Jump right in with both feet and have a great time.  It's terrific to have you join our family.
"Miracles do happen, dear friend(s).  Miracles are real."- Boris 
"There are only two things we know: the cosmos exists and we are imbedded within the cosmos.  Everything else is speculation and discovery."- Caithness's dad
Ing's space:Ingyllenhaal+Ingstier+Ing-Myster+Ingwer+IngCannesBabe+darlING

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 07:06:43 AM »
Hi Helen,

I live in North London and grew up in a small village about the same distance north of London, so where are ya...?
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

helen_uk

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:08 AM »
Buckinghamshire :)

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »
Bit further over then... I grew up in Hertfordshire...

This site is great... Shame there is not the same amount of enthusiasm and enthusiasts in the UK for BBM...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 03:11:23 PM »
I don't know about that.......it's doing pretty well at the box office  in London

Maybe this week will be 3 weeks at the top ;D

helen_uk

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 06:22:35 PM »
Bit further over then... I grew up in Hertfordshire...

This site is great... Shame there is not the same amount of enthusiasm and enthusiasts in the UK for BBM...

I know...

But can you imagine the great british public getting overly excited about anything?

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
That is kind of what I meant... Here with have a community talking and living a film and story that have moved them...

Maybe we need a thread on this site for UK members to talk about what is happening here... Also see just how many brits are on here...

Everyone has been more excited about celebrity big brother (not that there is anything wrong with that), than something as moving as Brokeback Mountain...

A few people at work have seen it and loved it - but they are all aussies...!

It will also be exciting to see in which direction the BAFTA's go... 

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 09:43:18 AM »
zudos, have you seen our members thread, and especially our world map?  track em down, or ask any mod for directions.  and don't forget, for smaller regions, be sure to zoom in, as overlapping pins will not be obvious.

jack   
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 12:15:18 PM »
I think you need to define what you mean by 'excitement'.

As I said it's doing well in the charts, the soundtrack is doing well on Amazon, there have been articles about it in the press, brilliant reviews and people are talking about it. I think it is simply because there are fewer of us than there are Americans so we get a bit watered down ;D

I think one of the things is that gayness is not quite so 'shocking' in the UK. We see much more on the television, I mean what self-respecting soap hasn't featured at least one gay relationship and as for Big Brother.......

I suppose that since the male-male kiss on Dr Who, nothing can shock the Great British Public anymore!!!!!!! (though no-one seemed really shocked actually)

(PS For those that don't know Dr Who is a Sci-Fi series recently resurrected by Russell T Davies of Queer as Folk, who modernised it, made it hugely successful again and a cornerstone of family Saturday teatime viewing last year. He also introduced an openly bi-sexual character who in one episode kissed the Dr on the lips. This character proved very popular and is now going to have his own spin off series)

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 02:44:22 PM »
Thanks for that Vicky... This is exactly why I thought it might be good to have a brits thread... I had not thought about it like that... And I suppose to me BBM is so much more than just a 'gay' movie... This is probably as you say the media and TV make little differentiation... Big Brother great example, as a post op transsexual won it in 2004... The idea of two 'straight' guys falling in love and having a taboo affair, and whilst being married is a completely different subject matter... Trying to think hard as to whether this has been covered in the soaps or on TV... (Sad as it is and I do not watch it all the time) Emmerdale recently had a story of a guy (who had had one nighters with other guys) fell for a gay guy in the village (who was the only gay in the village btw!)... And I have not seen press around that either...

BBM to me is a story questioning whether everyone fights hard enough for their chances of happiness and love with their soul mates, whether there be issues of class, race, sex, or even their status i.e. single or married... It has certainly made me question a lost chance of love...       

When you look at the 'Official BBM' site there are many example of brits having BBM experiences...

Your comments are really good as to what is happening over here...

Keep em coming...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline mcnell1120

• Vida Loca
  • Obsessed
  • Footsteps in my life....leave memories in my heart
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »
Hello everyone,

My name is Nellie...39...from Chicago, Illinois. This web-site is a dream come true for me.Looking forward to chatting with all of ya!
RICKY MARTIN ,tu eres mi Kiki !

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 04:14:28 PM »
To think of a couple of examples.....

There was a storyline in Coronation Street where a young man engaged to his pregnant girlfriend fell in love with his male friend.

There was also something similar in the Bill with a young police officer falling in love with his gay sergeant. That caused a stir because it was the first time two officers in uniform were shown kissing. The first time they slept together was on the young man's stag night. Lots of angst there.

None of these are anything compared to BBM of course.

helen_uk

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2006, 04:19:53 PM »
I think you need to define what you mean by 'excitement'.

I just mean the nature of the average person in the UK isn't given to full on yee-hawing.

(that was a really inadequate reply, but it's the best I can do.  please no-one aske me to explain further, my head will explode )