The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Ooops - the Little Brits Discussion  (Read 367132 times)

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
Re: Ooops - the little Brits discussion
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2006, 05:41:36 AM »
Hmmm....yes I get your point...the average Brit yee-hawing ;D

helen_uk

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 10:42:15 AM »
Reserved is not the word!  ::)

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 12:27:37 PM »
To think of a couple of examples.....

There was a storyline in Coronation Street where a young man engaged to his pregnant girlfriend fell in love with his male friend.

There was also something similar in the Bill with a young police officer falling in love with his gay sergeant. That caused a stir because it was the first time two officers in uniform were shown kissing. The first time they slept together was on the young man's stag night. Lots of angst there.

None of these are anything compared to BBM of course.

Vicky... I had forgotten about that thing on the Bill... Well done for remembering... Not sure about the Corrie thing as I never watch it...

But it does show that gay relationships are throughout all our mainstream shows...

And of course there was Queer as Folk, and then last year Suga Rush...

But as you say nothing compared to Brokeback...

So how is BBM doing this week in the UK, and is it being watched in London proportionately more than in other parts of the country...?     
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 06:04:37 AM »
Just checked the BBC Movies website and it puts BBM at number 4 this week... Not bad seeing as its been out a month over here...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 12:18:21 PM »
Reserved is not the word!  ::)

You're talking excitement like actually moving their lips when they talk excitement, right?  ;)

(j/k - i'm a *huge* anglophile.)
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2006, 12:03:21 PM »
I went yesterday to see it again - the cinema was about 2/3 full. Several straight couples, several groups of young women,  some same-sex couples - were they sexually involved - I didn't ask(!) and a young man obviously there with his parents. The age range was from early twenties to definately 70+.

When we left the crowd for the next showing was waiting. It was 1/2 hour to go but there were a lot of people there including a large group of teenage girls.

As to the box office - in London it is now down to no.2 beaten by Munich which is out this week. It is noticeable that all the other films released at the same time (apart from Memoirs of a Geisha) are sliding. Time Out said that it'll probably stay in the charts, I'd imagine somewhere in the middle. New releases will beat it, but it will remain a stayer.

I suppose I'd better post this to the Box Office thread as well because it seems relevant.

helen_uk

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2006, 12:49:48 PM »
You're talking excitement like actually moving their lips when they talk excitement, right?  ;)

Whoa, hang on - I don't mean they go that far!!    :D  :o ::) :P

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 11:46:53 AM »
I saw that too in The Metro that it was number 2 in London...

Any out of London brits reading this, who can comment on the atmosphere, attendees etc for other parts of the UK...

Is it out in Ireland btw...? Anyone any ideas how its doing there... 

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

helen_uk

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 03:34:05 PM »
I went to see it here in Bucks on the second week of release.  All I particularly noticed were a man in a wheelchair at the front and quite a number of 15-20 year olds.  Oh yeah, and as I was going out I overheard a middle-aged bloke say, "You never told me they were gay."  The woman with him asked what he thought, and he said it was very good.

The rest of the audience was fairly average I guess.  And everyone left at the end in much the same way as people generally leave cinemas.  Didn't see any crying.  Didn't hear anyone laugh.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2006, 03:44:00 PM by helen_uk »

Offline Supergirl

• Feet Wet
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 03:54:47 PM »
I'm from Kent and saw it 3 weeks ago, as with many of you, typical cinmea crowd, though no-one much younger than me (26).

There was plenty of crying in the showing I went to.

The biggest laugh though was Alma saying "Taxan's don't drink coffee?".

No laughing at her seeing the reunion though; i've no idea why people would laugh at theat, it's heartbreaking for her, especially when you consider how happy she was when you saw the two of them sledging after thier marriage. To lose that must have killed her.
...but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 01:49:15 PM »
Hi Supergirl,

Welcome to our little Brits discussion...!

And you reminded me that when I saw it for the second time (Leicester Square - Vue), people laughed a few times, and they laughed when there was the reunion...! I was shocked and said out loud... 'Whats everyone laughing at'... The work colleague I was with did not think it was funny either... They also laughed when Ennis drunkenly fell towards the tent before their first night together, which I suppose is kind of funny, but I knew the story and was in no mood to laugh...

All that aside - there were plenty of tears as people were leaving, and many a hankie on display from both the men and women...

And I now have a copy of  BBM on DVD which I bought from ebay... so just watched my favourite bits and shed afew tears... Need to find time i.e. not after work to watch the film properly...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

helen_uk

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 02:00:52 PM »
I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would be laughing.  Perhaps it's embarressment of some kind coming out the 'wrong' way.  I've only seen it once at the cinema, and after all I've read on here about the various reactions I wondered if I'd stepped into some kind of parallel universe as everyone in the cinema seemed to be treating it just like any other film.   ???

Has anyone seen or heard any kind of condemnation of the film over here?

Offline Supergirl

• Feet Wet
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 02:07:26 PM »
I've not heard any real condemnation of the film - it appears tht most of the bad stuff is coming from the retard right-wing americans. (having looked at many of the links form all over this forum).

I think that England (or britain, or whatever) is generally a lot more accepting baout  sexuality than americans (i know i'm stereotyping) but as someone said on here previously, we've had gay storylines on tv for a (relatively) long while now, and of course there was the 'queer as folk' furore when that first came out. BBM is hughely tame in comparison.

...but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 03:01:30 PM »
Re the laughing in the cinema... Lots of people laughed, so I am really not sure why... Unless of course they were there to be 'entertained'... And of course by the end no one was laughing...!!!

I have not heard any big commendation, and apparently J Ross on Film 2006, did not rate it (although I did not see this myself)... Most people that I have spoken to enjoyed the film... In fact I have not heard a bad report... But they do not want to live it and discuss it for weeks on end like this forum, which is mainly americans...

Also generally when there is big news and a book involved, you see everyone on the tube reading it like mad... And I have not spotted a one...    Even though it is a short story...

Have you guys read the book? And did you read it before seeing the film? And do you have your own BBM stories to share...?

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 03:03:29 PM »
And I just realised that you renamed the thread... How sweet...

When I get time I may scour the membership for brits and invite them to join us... Do you know anymore on here...?

Or

To breakfast at PRADA