The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Ooops - the Little Brits Discussion  (Read 688356 times)

helen_uk

Re: Ooops - the little Brits discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2006, 03:12:18 PM »
I've read the story online, but I didn't enjoy it.  And I've not met anyone else who has been so affected by it, unless they have been but just aren't mentioning it.  Lots of people I know have seen it and commented that it was sad, but that's about it!  ::)

I wonder what Wossy said about it? 

I guess that over here some of the issues aren't quite as pertinent - such as marriage now that there are CPs.  Although I did say elsewhere that Western Isles council had refused to do anything other than carry CPs out to the absolute letter of the law and nothing else.  But then, what they do up there has little effect on the rest of the UK.

I notice though that it was released in about 275 cinemas altogether, whereas Jarhead was out in about 400.  Who knows why that was, though...

Offline Supergirl

• Feet Wet
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2006, 03:12:21 PM »
slightly off topic - but i've just noticed that i'm no longer a BBM forum virgin!! hooray for me!
...but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2006, 03:33:41 PM »
Congratulations Supergirl...

Helen, Annie Proulx is not an easy read... Was it her heavy descriptive style that you did not like...? 
The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Supergirl

• Feet Wet
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2006, 03:42:01 PM »
i've read the story about 6 or 7 times now, i bought the 'Close Range' collection after seeing the movie and falling in love with it. It is discussed in a lot of detail on the "film and book" thread, http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=143.0

Personally i found Proulx's writing style quite alienating at first - i don't think i would have liked the BBM short story as much had i not seen the film. in fact the rest of the stories in the collection leave me cold. (i did pick up a collection of her earlier stuff "Heart Songs" in  a second hand book shop the other day, and have yet to have a look at that, so who knows what that may hold?)

Subsequent readings of the BBM short story have really enriched the movie for me and through the perceptive analyses of posters on these pages i have developed a real appreciation of the sparsity of the language and imagery - particulary that of Jack as a 'ministering angel'.

If you've not read it yet, do give it a go, it's a real eyeopener in terems of seeing how the medium of moving image can so faithfully recreate, re-imagine and realise the written word.

(and i've ordered the 'story to screenplay' from amazon in the US so am definitely looking forward to that arriving on my doorstep.
...but there was no real scent, only the memory of it, the imagined power of Brokeback Mountain...

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2006, 03:47:54 PM »
American Anglophile interruption [sorry about that]: i had such high hopes for the Doctor and Adric back around 1980 or '81, but alas, that was not to be.
sigh.... lost opportunities....
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

helen_uk

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2006, 03:54:44 PM »
The DVD is available on pre-order from here:

http://www.gayinterestdvd.co.uk/productinfo.php?pid=373

Also posters and other stuff.

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2006, 04:01:38 PM »
Supergirl,

I started reading Proulx a few years ago... Read a review of That ole ace in the hole, in the Standard, and thought this is too wacky to be true... SO read it... and it was hard going but so brilliant. It even made me want to holiday in the hogfarming area around the texas panhandle...! Then came The Shipping News. Film is a major disappointment from the book, and I also have Close Range but have not read many yet...   

Her writing is something that you need to read on holiday with an empty mind of work... and life, to wallow in the beauty of the prose... (That sounds pretentious- sorry)

And Lance who said that non-brits were welcome here... OK we will let you in this once... as you did apologise for the interruption... So did you see the latest Dr Who kiss...!?!

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline londonphil

• Feet Wet
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2006, 05:51:24 PM »
Hiya folks
I'm in North London, and will be going to see Brokeback for the third time later today. It's haunted me since I first saw it two weeks ago - unable to think of anything else. Last week, went to see it for the second time at Muswell Hill Odeon...everyone in  audience was crying at the end. Incredible experience. Incredible film. Incredible and life-changing.

Offline londonphil

• Feet Wet
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2006, 07:07:30 PM »
PS
Looking at the BBM Event thread - shouldn't we arrange one for London?

helen_uk

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2006, 01:55:47 AM »
That could be cool.

helen_uk

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2006, 03:15:14 AM »

I think that England (or britain, or whatever) is generally a lot more accepting baout  sexuality than americans (i know i'm stereotyping) but as someone said on here previously, we've had gay storylines on tv for a (relatively) long while now, and of course there was the 'queer as folk' furore when that first came out. BBM is hughely tame in comparison.

Yes, you're right, and we've had Hayley in Coronation Street for many years now., and I don't recall any uproar about her being a transexual. 

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »
Hey all,

OMG - The Muswell Hill Odeon... Where are you...?

I live in Crouch End...!!! Must be just round the corner... And it would be great to arrange a London showing so that we can add our photos...!!!

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline londonphil

• Feet Wet
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2006, 10:57:43 AM »
I am in Muswell Hill near the Archway Road. Just got back from seeing it again. :'( :'( :'(

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2006, 11:27:02 AM »
Just round the corner then...!

And how was the film this time...? How many times have you seen it...? Are you feeling OK...? 

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline londonphil

• Feet Wet
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2006, 11:44:35 AM »
This was my third time - you see so much more each time (partly thanks to the insights in this forum). Felt much warmer towards Ennis this time, hated him last week for what he was doing to Jack. Cried all the way home, as usual.  :'(