The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Ooops - the Little Brits Discussion  (Read 365389 times)

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
  • Darkness belongs to night skies & nothing else
Re: Ooops - the little Brits discussion
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »
Anyone agree with me that I think the film angles it at the end, and you would only get this feeling by listening to the songs in the credits, that Ennis later on, commits suicide.  That's my take on 'He was a friend of Mine' and 'Maker Makes'.     ''get along little doggies, get along'' being Ennis's parting shot to the world.  I know it's not in the novella, but that's how I see it.     He was a wreck and would never be any good on his own. 

Someone mentioned earlier about the gay storyline in 'The Bill' from a few years back.   In case you don't know, one of the actors there  Scott Neal, played a gay teenager in 'Beautiful Thing', another lovely film.   Those old episodes from The Bill are currently showing on UK Gold if you've got satellite. 

I am not sure that I agree with the suicide thing... Even again as not in the book, I think that the fact that he quizzed his daughter about being in love with her fiance, that he was happy to live his love through his daughter... He said that work can wait and he did not really do that with Jack at the end... So I think he wanted to change things and was positive... His trailer was virtually empty, aside from his shrine, and I think it kept him going...

Also in the book, he actually had a dream about Jack, and it said something about keeping him going all day...

And which character in the bill are you talking about...?

The Greatest thing is to love and be loved in return...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2006, 03:24:02 PM »
Hmm, I don't think he killed himself - somehow I don't think that would be quite his style....too dramatic maybe. Endless endurance would seem to be more him.

Anyhow BBM leaving the cinemas....I've noticed that too. It's still on at a lot of places but seemingly concentrated in central London and the more middle-class suburbs. I was speaking to a few people at work however, who still hadn't seen it and wanted to.

As to the characters in the Bill we're talking about are Sergeant Gilmore and PC Luke Ashton (Scott Neal). It was all the way back in 2002. How time flies!

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2006, 03:30:35 PM »
Sorry yes thats the ones... Brain dead this evening...

BBC now put BBM at 6th in the UK, (updated 0702)...

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Dixon

• Experienced
  • One Day Remains
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2006, 04:41:37 PM »
 Hi fellow UK types :)

I thought I'd have problems understanding Ennis at first. In his first few scenes he really mumbles (even for him) but then either he got clearer or I got used to his voice and it wasn't a problem.

I didn't notice the song 'He was a friend of Mine' the first time I saw the film. I was pretty much a wreck by the end of the film tho' so it's not surprising. On the second viewing, however, I'd just about pulled myself together after the last scene when that song starts and my heart was breaking again. And I don't even like country music! For me that song is about dedicated to Jack and not about Ennis commiting suicide.

But what a film. I was totally unprepared for the effect it's had on me. I've had a slight (huge!) crush on Jake for ages, so before seeing BBM I thought 'cool! Heath Ledger makes out with the hottest man on the planet! And they're cowboys!'. Well, yes, while that's true it soon became clear this was something else entirely. I've never had a film grab hold of my emotions like that before (and I doubt I will again). And yes, it's been said many times but it really hasn't left me and I saw it first about three weeks ago. Every day I find myself thinking about it, humming the soundtrack and generally just spending some time with Ennis & Jack.

I thought at first it might just be a gay thing, if you know what I mean. But judging from the comments on here it's had this effect on lots of people of all types. I've been trying to get some of my straight friends to see it but, while the women are usually up for it their male partners are pathetically squeemish and don't want to go. Which I expected, but I'll keep pestering them! Men are such wimps sometimes!

ps. edit: I'm just south of London...

helen_uk

« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2006, 04:56:04 PM »
Anybody remember Priest from years ago with Bobby Carlisle and Linus Roach?  I seem to recall it being pretty groundbreaking at the time, but there's a clip of one of the sex scenes on 'you tube' and it's all gasping open mouths and hand grabbing.  Nothing like our boys in Brokeback.  It came across almost unrealistic in comparison.

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2006, 02:40:33 AM »
Hi Dixon,

Welcome to our growing UK community...

So where is just south of London...? Its not Croydon is it...?

And how can you not like country music...?!?!? (ALthough must confess that I was raised on it...). And keep going in getting your st8 mates to see the film.... Its great at all levels... Hopefully they would not be part of the 'laughing crowd...!!!

Helen, I can not remember Priest at all...? How long ago was it on, so please do expand your anecdote...!!!

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Dixon

• Experienced
  • One Day Remains
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2006, 05:47:14 AM »
 No, not Croydon, Bromley...

My playlist for the soundtrack consists of just the seven Gustavo Santaolalla tracks. Having checked my Last.fm charts (very cool if you havn't tried it I'm here; http://www.last.fm/user/Sleeperservice/ ) I've played it about 30 times so far :) I am a big Rufus Wainwright fan so I'll have to give some of the other tracks on there a try I think...

I haven't seen Priest, I'm not sure how I missed it though as I'm a big Robert Carlisle fan.

I find the reaction of a lot of people about Jack & Ennis not being typical stereotype gay men pretty strange. Do people really still think like that? (a bit of a rehtorical question I guess but still...). I know plenty of straight male friends who would easily pass for gay, although they may not thank me for saying that (but thats their problem) especially given the amount of money they spend on clothes, hair products, shoes etc!

Comparing other films to BBM is a bit unfair I think. It's just so far ahead of anything else I've seen in terms of, well, everything! The acting, directing, the script & original story. All top notch.

Offline londonphil

• Feet Wet
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2006, 06:45:28 AM »
Hi Dixon
Good to have you on board!
We've all been blown away by this film, and it's so good to have somewhere to share our feelings. I agree with you about the music, it's so addictive - Rufus should write a song about it!
Phil

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2006, 05:06:04 PM »
I loved the soundtrack.....for the first week after I bought it I simply played it over and over again

I remember Priest too. I watched it with no idea what it was about and was surprised....but in a totally good way! I like Robert Carlisle.

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2006, 07:18:13 PM »
Hello, Chaps!

My name's Steve. I'm not a Brit, but I am a raving Anglophile. I signed the guest book at Buckingham Palace.  More importantly, I saw "Young Winston" the week it opened at the Odeon Leicester Square, which is where the BAFTA's will take place next Sunday, 19 February.

I know the awards show will be broadcast live at 8:00 PM GMT over BBC1.

But it won't be shown on BBC America till 8:00 PM local time in all time zones.

So, if you chaps are planning any online BAFTA parties whilst you watch the awards live, please let your American cousins evesdrop on the live thread direct from Leicester Square.

Thanks muchly,

Steve in the USA

What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline Vicky0uk

• Expert
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2006, 10:55:49 AM »
I must say I'm not that optimistic about the BAFTAS.

I think the biggest rival is the Constant Gardener, becasue as well as being a good film, it is a British film.

I'm not sure in which categories it is going against BBM though.

Offline andy/Claude

• Obsessed
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2006, 12:30:26 PM »
Hi everybody. Just discovered this bit so thought I should introduce myself. I'm on the Isle of Wight btw.
the shirts hanging on a nail shudder slightly in the draft.

Offline bbbmedia

• Expert
    • HazeMaster's Home Port
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2006, 12:53:44 PM »
Hi, Lorena

Brooklyn USA here. Born and bred in NYC. Third generation nativer New Yorker, which is very rare.

Have never been to cowboy country. Went to school in Iowa: rolling hills, farmland, corn

Many visists to San Francisco.  But never the real American West.

Spent more vactions in the Cotswolds than in the Rockies.  ;D
What Jack remembered and craved in a way he could neither help nor understand was the time that distant summer on Brokeback when Ennis had come up behind him and pulled him close, the silent embrace satisfying some shared and sexless hunger.

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2006, 01:03:24 PM »
Hello, Chaps!

My name's Steve. I'm not a Brit, but I am a raving Anglophile. I signed the guest book at Buckingham Palace.  More importantly, I saw "Young Winston" the week it opened at the Odeon Leicester Square, which is where the BAFTA's will take place next Sunday, 19 February.

I know the awards show will be broadcast live at 8:00 PM GMT over BBC1.

But it won't be shown on BBC America till 8:00 PM local time in all time zones.

So, if you chaps are planning any online BAFTA parties whilst you watch the awards live, please let your American cousins evesdrop on the live thread direct from Leicester Square.

Thanks muchly,

Steve in the USA

Hi Steve, All newcomers welcome... (I would keep quiet about signing the guest book at the palace though...)...!!! LOL

Will do what we can, but not even sure if I am around the watch them live...!!!

Or

To breakfast at PRADA

Offline Zudos

• Viscount Libertine
  • Obsessed
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2006, 01:04:46 PM »
Hi Andy,

Welcome to our little corner... Isle of Wight eh... Spent a few childhood holidays there at Ventnor...!!!

Whats the feeling with the film on IOW? Much interest...? 

Or

To breakfast at PRADA