The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Canadian, eh!  (Read 259735 times)

Offline quithammerin

• Expert
  • We'll lick this damn ranch into shape
Re: Canadian, eh!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 07:23:27 AM »
Think I've got this posting thing now - argh. What an embarrassment.  I'm always buying doughnuts for the Systems guys at work - I can't bring you folks doughnuts, but next time you go by Tim's, feel the warm feelings I'm sending you. 

I picked my name because I like the image that the best thing in Ennis' life starts when he comes in out of the cold - haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else here, so it must be a Canadian thing. 
"This happen a other people?  What the hell do they do?"  -  Ennis Del Mar

Offline BocaGarrett

• Experienced
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 02:34:57 PM »
I was born in Canada (in Southern Alberta actually) even though I'm many years a naturalized USA citizen.  I have dual citizenship in both countries.  Can I be an honorary Canuk?

Offline Brunel

• Feet Wet
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2006, 03:32:55 PM »
I was born in Canada (in Southern Alberta actually) even though I'm many years a naturalized USA citizen.  I have dual citizenship in both countries.  Can I be an honorary Canuk?
By all means, the more, the merrier.
quithammerin, I didn't mean to be rude.  I just thought people were going to be really confused with so many Canadian threads.  And by the way, I'd like a muffin instead.   ;D

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2006, 03:54:08 PM »
Think I've got this posting thing now - argh. What an embarrassment.  I'm always buying doughnuts for the Systems guys at work - I can't bring you folks doughnuts, but next time you go by Tim's, feel the warm feelings I'm sending you. 

I picked my name because I like the image that the best thing in Ennis' life starts when he comes in out of the cold - haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else here, so it must be a Canadian thing. 

Glad you are here. Don't be embarassed. It takes time to get comfortable in this space. I'm more of a Starbuck's kind of guy, but Tim's will do!

Like the name you chose - thanks for sharing that. Makes sense.

Since you' re in Calgary - we should think about a Canadian meet where the movie was filmed. Have you been there? It must be awesome. ;D

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2006, 03:56:39 PM »

As Brunel said, the more the merrier. Honorary Canuk's are more than welcome. But with dual citizenship, you are a Canuk  :) Perhaps we should say, there are Canuks and those that want to be.....

Offline atruant

• Obsessed
  • Brokeback is STILL affecting me......
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2006, 04:12:46 PM »
Hello All,

Another Canuck here. I've been going cross-eyed casing the threads in this forum over the last couple of weeks.
For me it's been an uplifting experience, the same as my reaction to the short story, screenplay and the movie, which I've seen twice. If you haven't visited the Symbolism thread yet, I would recommend it. Pretty heavy duty, but with outstanding (and some hard to understand) insight and analysis from some brilliant people.

Also check out the Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal threads. A heavy duty Canuck poster, Adrian from Vancouver, has posted some wonderful shots of Heath, and in particular Jake. My favorite shots are of Heath and Jake together AFTER Brokeback. To me seeing how these two act and care for each other in real life really adds to their stellar performances in the movie. One can't help but love these guys!

Cheers,
John (atruant)

PS. Dan, good on you for getting this thread on the rails!
John and Chuck -
Ennis and Jack got us together.

Offline phrag3

• Expert
  • I remember.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2006, 05:50:36 PM »
Hello All,

Another Canuck here. I've been going cross-eyed casing the threads in this forum over the last couple of weeks.
For me it's been an uplifting experience, the same as my reaction to the short story, screenplay and the movie, which I've seen twice. If you haven't visited the Symbolism thread yet, I would recommend it. Pretty heavy duty, but with outstanding (and some hard to understand) insight and analysis from some brilliant people.

Also check out the Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal threads. A heavy duty Canuck poster, Adrian from Vancouver, has posted some wonderful shots of Heath, and in particular Jake. My favorite shots are of Heath and Jake together AFTER Brokeback. To me seeing how these two act and care for each other in real life really adds to their stellar performances in the movie. One can't help but love these guys!

Cheers,
John (atruant)

PS. Dan, good on you for getting this thread on the rails!

Welcome John. I have to thank Brunel and brokebackbeauty for their discussions leading to the creation of this thread. They both responded to one of my postings about the impact of BBM. Then we started talking about Canuks, and well - the rest is history. I'm going to PM Adrian to invite him over. We could use his energy to get this thread moving. :)

It looks like most of us Canuks have been lurking for a while and are only now coming of age on the forums. Sort of like Canadians to be like that, eh?! ;D

I like your idea of sharing other threads that might be of interest to us here. It's hard to keep up with all of them. After all - we do have other lives, don't we. LOL

I've seen the movie 5 times already. Twice in the theatre and three times at home as I got a presentation DVD a while back. Now I can watch it in private and cry all I want. But more importantly, each time I see it, I see more...

Plus I'm a confirmed Jakaholic ;D

regards

Dan

Offline Adrian

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
    • Hollywood Forums Online
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 01:47:32 AM »
Hey everyone, Adrian here from Vancouver.  Born and raised in beautiful Calgary, but, am attending UBC medical school in Point Grey.  Hope you're all doing well, and I think this is totally cool that we have this thread - but don't be surprised if alot of them Yankee boys and girls come snooping in from time to time - they like to be where the action is!  BBM is still playing out here in Vancouver in about 10 theaters, so, am going to go and see it one more time this weekend on the big screen.  Where's everybody from and what does everyone do for a living?  Maybe we outta plan some kind of BBM convention right in BBM territory ;)

Offline quithammerin

• Expert
  • We'll lick this damn ranch into shape
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 07:04:38 AM »
Yes, the movie was filmed an hour or so west of Calgary - some scenes right in Calgary.  People here are pretty reverent about those mountains (Peter Lougheed Park).  They are beautiful. Maybe that's why BBM is still playing in 5 theatres.  At its height was in 7.  This is in a city of just under 1mm.  Known as a redneck city, but something is going on here.  The Calgary Herald keeps a bestselling books list, I think from local independent bookstores, and Brokeback Mountain - not Close Range -  has been somewhere in the top 10 for months.  My (male, married) dentist said he was going to see it "the scenery is supposed to be great", despite the fact that his (20-something female) assistant saw it and didn't like it because it was "slow". I mumbled through the freezing "I really liked it.  The music is great, too".  You can have a conversation like that in the elevator of the PetroCanada building. Of course there are lots of women who can't get their husbands to see it with them.  Over in Dave's Culture and Society section  (I think) is an article from the Edmonton Journal about how a straight guy "copes" with seeing BBM.  A good article. 

Maybe BBM is popular here because there are a lot of cowboy-like guys in Calgary (ranchers, roughnecks, engineers) and other people are trying to figure them out.  (Any ideas, you people with Southern Alta roots?)

People here are hoping to make money on BBM-related tourism.  I guess everyone saw the CBC story about the Taiwanese travel agent who is booking tours to the places where they filmed and is giving a discount to gay couples. 

And me, I've been reading this discussion since early January.  Have the soundtrack in my car.  Can't stop thinking about it. You know the story.
"This happen a other people?  What the hell do they do?"  -  Ennis Del Mar

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 11:53:54 AM »
Hey everyone, Adrian here from Vancouver.  Born and raised in beautiful Calgary, but, am attending UBC medical school in Point Grey.  Hope you're all doing well, and I think this is totally cool that we have this thread - but don't be surprised if alot of them Yankee boys and girls come snooping in from time to time - they like to be where the action is!  BBM is still playing out here in Vancouver in about 10 theaters, so, am going to go and see it one more time this weekend on the big screen.  Where's everybody from and what does everyone do for a living?  Maybe we outta plan some kind of BBM convention right in BBM territory ;)

Hey my son is pre-med, maybe I should send him out west!

I am in Ontario!  And I just want to say hi to the fellow canucks.  Grab a Timmy's and join in the fun.  Anyone a fan of the LEAFS, or should I not ask that? lol

FUNGURL

Offline Adrian

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 12:22:34 PM »
I am in Ontario!  And I just want to say hi to the fellow canucks.  Grab a Timmy's and join in the fun.  Anyone a fan of the LEAFS, or should I not ask that? lol

Hey Lola, you should know, never, in the same statement, mention the words "Leafs" and "West" - haha - don't work in these there parts - best to use terminology such as "Flames" "Jerome" "Canucks" "Markus" or "Todd" - haha - those terms work just fine! 

For the most part, I think BBM has done really well in Canada - still playing in a number of locations in all of our major cities, with alot of people still wanting to see it.  Like I said earlier, I'm going again this weekend and initiating a few of my straight buddies to everything "Gylly" and the "Heathbar" - the one thing (aside from the countless) that I love about this movie is the conversation that it ultimately invokes, especially with heterosexual males - to bad Sue Johannson (if any of you Canucks know who she is - she's a noted Canadian sex therapist, with a bit of an unconventional bent - she did a lecture on sexuality at UBC ) isn't doing her show anymore, she would of definitely had a multitude of calls from all those "BBM" curious ;)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 12:33:08 PM »
Oh yea Sex with Sue, I can just imagine the calls she would get.   8)

I hope you get your friends to go, I got my husband there, just gotta get my boys watching it on DVD!

One thing it does is spark coversation, just look at this site, it is a very deep movie, lots to say and interpet and feel.  I love hearing everyone's perspectives.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 12:54:35 PM by Lola »

FUNGURL

Offline Ken

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:34 PM »
best to use terminology such as "Flames" "Jerome" "Canucks" "Markus" or "Todd" - haha - those terms work just fine! 

Also acceptable, (But none Canadian) is  "KINGS", "Jake" and "Ken" used together. And "Adrian" is always an added plus.

;)

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 12:56:14 PM »
hey we are going all the way this year, I feel it in my bones!   ;D

FUNGURL

Offline Adrian

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »
hey we are going all the way this year, I feel it in my bones!   ;D

Who's going where?  (and be careful how you answer that!)  haha.   ;)