The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Poll

What is your favorite (other) Ang Lee film?

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
20 (22.7%)
Sense & Sensibility
17 (19.3%)
The Ice Storm
15 (17%)
The Wedding Banquet
24 (27.3%)
The Hulk
1 (1.1%)
Other
5 (5.7%)
Never seen an Ang Lee film
4 (4.5%)
Ride With the Devil
2 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Favorite Ang Lee Films  (Read 28025 times)

Offline Alex

• Expert
  • Love is a force of nature.
Re: The Films of Ang Lee
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2006, 12:04:04 AM »
There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline Alex

• Expert
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2006, 12:11:40 AM »
I just saw The Ice Storm & loved it (yeah I know I'm behind the times), its such a typical wonderful Ang Lee movie, beautifully done, wonderful performances by all the actors esp. the young actors like Tobey, Elijah Wood, Christina Ricci, it seems like his specialty, getting work performances out of young stars, hence Jake & Heath.

There was some open space between what he knew and what he tried to believe, but nothing could be done about it, and if you can't fix it you've got to stand it.

Offline Alex

• Expert
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2006, 12:14:20 AM »

Offline glacier76

• Experienced
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2006, 03:36:50 AM »
I just saw The Ice Storm & loved it (yeah I know I'm behind the times), its such a typical wonderful Ang Lee movie, beautifully done, wonderful performances by all the actors esp. the young actors like Tobey, Elijah Wood, Christina Ricci, it seems like his specialty, getting work performances out of young stars, hence Jake & Heath.

Katie Holmes was also in The Ice Storm. I wonder who's next--Joshua Jackson? He also helped Kate Winslet get her first Oscar nomination and helped make Ziyi Zhang an international movie star. And he gave Eric Bana is his first Hollywood starring role. The guy's good.

Online gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2006, 04:02:37 AM »

Katie Holmes was also in The Ice Storm. I wonder who's next--Joshua Jackson? He also helped Kate Winslet get her first Oscar nomination and helped make Ziyi Zhang an international movie star. And he gave Eric Bana is his first Hollywood starring role. The guy's good.

how weird, i saw the ice storm for the first time yesterday! the fantastic four, heh... pretty damn good film, loved sigourney in that, a nice break from the alien movies.

i love how lureen mentioned the ice storm when jack's looking for his blue parka.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2006, 09:38:08 PM »
On Saturday, Gus Van Sant -- one of the industry's first openly gay directors, whose credits include "Good Will Hunting" and "To Die For'' -- spoke at the Queer Lounge about his efforts to get "Brokeback Mountain" made five years ago.

"That's the one that got away," he acknowledged. "I dropped the ball. I didn't get the cast I wanted. I wanted big-name actors so I could make a political statement." Van Sant generously called Ang Lee's film "everything I wanted mine to be. I'm not sure it would have happened like that five years ago. It's all come true, and I'm really happy it worked out."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/24/DDG5PGQTL51.DTL
Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline mountain boy

• Cowpoke
  • Obsessed
  • Thou not speakest thy truest love
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 10:29:29 PM »
i love how lureen mentioned the ice storm when jack's looking for his blue parka.
:D  Interesting! I've been wondering if the blue parka is "about" something... Is there anything in the Ice Storm about a blue parka?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:38:16 PM by wdj »

Offline Carissa

• Obsessed
  • Too young. too soon. too loved to be gone.
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2006, 10:48:07 PM »
From Ted Casablanca's The Awful Truth (link is in the picture)

Give me my Romeo; and, when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night
And pay no worship to the garish sun.
- Romeo and Juliet (Juliet at III, ii)

Offline kcwin

• Expert
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2006, 06:29:41 PM »
Wishing Ang Lee good luck on tonight's Directors Guild Award and also happy Chinese New Year.  ;D

Some photos of him at the Directors Guild of America Award Nominees Luncheon.
http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=GLS====162316&c4nvi=3&str=196&styp=clbi&nbc1=1
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 06:33:35 PM by kcwin »

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2006, 11:44:54 PM »
consider the luck a fait accompli.  lee wins dga.

one more down on the glory path!

Brokeback Mountain Rules!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 11:46:27 PM by jack »
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline kcwin

• Expert
« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2006, 12:08:50 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Congratulations, Ang Lee! http://theenvelope.latimes.com/awards/critics/env-dgaawards28jan28,0,6128394.story
More Pictures

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/13740768.htm
"Ang Lee is fierce in his timidity, his humbleness and his respect for everyone around him," Gyllenhaal said as he presented the diminutive director with a medallion in honor of his nomination. "He's frustrating and so damn wise."
Ledger was equally generous with praise, thanking Lee for "introducing us to these delicate characters."
"It took a delicate man to tell this story, and that's you," Ledger said.
"I don't know about you," Lee said with a laugh, "but that feels a little gay to me."
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:04:58 PM by kcwin »

Offline Alex

• Expert
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2006, 12:10:16 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11074188/site/newsweek/from/RS.4/

Oscar Roundtable - Directors talk about passion, fear and politics in the movies.

theresa

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2006, 12:12:18 AM »
Directors Guild honors 'Brokeback Mountain'

REUTERS

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Taiwanese filmmaker Ang Lee won the top prize from the Directors Guild of America on Saturday for his work on "Brokeback Mountain," the gay-cowboy romance that has already swept many key awards.

Lee beat out George Clooney for "Good Night, and Good Luck," Paul Haggis for "Crash," Bennett Miller for "Capote" and Steven Spielberg for "Munich."

The DGA Award winner and the Oscar winner for director have matched in 51 of the last 57 years, including last year, when Clint Eastwood won both trophies for "Million Dollar Baby."

Lee was one of the exceptions, winning the DGA Award in 2001 for "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," but losing on Oscar night to Steven Soderbergh for "Traffic."

Oscar nominations will be unveiled on Tuesday, with the winners announced during the 78th annual Academy Awards on March 5.

"Brokeback Mountain," starring Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal as two lovelorn cowboys, has already won four Golden Globe Awards, as well as the top prize from the Producers Guild of America. The winner of the latter award usually goes on to win the best picture Oscar.

Theresa

Offline Lance

• Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2006, 08:49:26 AM »
congratulations to Ang, one of the  best there has ever been.
May the bridges I burn light the way forward.

helen

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2006, 07:01:41 PM »
Aww, Ang seems like such a sweetheart. I just saw his Charlie Rose interview and I fell in love with him. ::swoon:: What a brilliant, brilliant man.  8)