The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 244123 times)

Offline iver

• Experienced
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2006, 09:35:18 PM »
Hi, cooking friends!
My once-a-year biggest social effort is a summer party at my cabin on a forested mountainside north of Oslo, Norway. This year the party is going to have a Brokeback Mountain theme! I have already prepared the invitation, I'll e-mail it to anybody who will PM me their e-mail address.
There are plenty of sheep grazing in the area in summer. There are also a lot of moose, but summer is not the season for shooting them, so the menu will be lamb and beans, and I expect between 30 and 40 people this year.
The cooking will have to be done on an outside fire since I don't have sufficient electric cooking capacity for that many people. So the lambs are going to be roasted on the outside fire, and I prefer them to be spiced with lots of garlic, rosemary and thyme and basted with a marinade of red wine and olive oil.  Here comes the question. What kind of beans should be served with the lamb? According to Mediterranean cooking tradition it should probably be white beans in a tomato sauce, but I have a feeling that's not what Ennis and Jack were eating. So, my question to you American cooks, I need a good recipe for beans that would go with roasted lamb and that is sufficiently American for Ennis and Jack to have eaten it on Brokeback Mountain. I will be grateful for any response.
Iver
Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2006, 11:05:46 PM »
Hej, Iver, fellow Scandinavian!

As I'm vegetarian and my cooking is pretty much about beans, I instantly thought of this recipe. I don't know what lamb tastes like, but I have a feeling that this might work. It's Italian rather than American, I'm afraid, and I have to admit I can't really see Ennis preparing this. But it's very tasty. Original recipe says it's good with bacon, too.

Fancy tomato beans

1 1/2 dl olive oil (that's a good 1/2 cup, I think)
10 fresh sage leaves or 1 1/2 tablespoon dried sage
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
2 cans of white beans
1 1/2 dl dry white wine (same amount as the olive oil)
2 tablespoons tomato purée (the kind of concentrated tomato paste that comes in tubes)
salt and black pepper

Heat oil in casserole or pan, fry garlic and sage lightly. Add beans, wine and tomato paste, simmer for 10-15 minutes (cover the pan/casserole). Add salt and pepper to taste.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 02:52:07 AM by Laurentia »
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2006, 11:25:04 PM »
this is getting SOOOO good.

lots of adaptable recipes, and the first human i know (sherry) who cooks the same kind of meals i eat.  and let me tell you, as simple as it is seems lost on earth (carb) eaters.  i get all these "what special food do you need" questions.

are you reqady for some company sherry?       
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2006, 03:03:35 AM »
CUBAN AVOCADO SALAD
(serves one)

peel and slice a ripe but firm haas avocado and arrange on plate.
cut and slice some red onion and arrange on top of avocado.
drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice (or red wine vinegar).
sprinkle with a bit of sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.

DONE! it doesn't get much easier than this does it?
this salad is served at cuban places around L.A.
i sometimes add some italian seasoning too.
don't try this if the avocado is mushy!
(make guacomole instead, i guess)
PS: this is really yummy too with
orange or grapefruit sections
or slivers of roasted beets.
you can add some feta.
be creative! love the
glorious avocado,
it is healthful!

:D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2006, 06:47:19 AM »
okay so i know some of you liken guacamole and avocado to... green vomit was it? :D so here's a recipe for guacamole that doesn't use that horrid fruit. ;D 

the added bonus is that it's much lower in fat. this is a variation on a recipe i had years ago, and i haven't made it since (because i love avocados) but it was pretty darn good. you can also "stretch" avocados by using the sweet peas in your traditional guacamole recipe.

Peas. They're a good thing!

-----------------------------------------------------

SWEET PEA GUACAMOLE

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons canned chopped green chili peppers
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound frozen sweet peas, thawed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup finely chopped red onions
1 tomato, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
Hot Sauce to taste

In a blender or food processor, combine the cilantro, lime juice, chili peppers and oil. Add the peas, salt and cumin. Puree until smooth. Pour into a serving bowl and stir in the onions and tomatoes. Season with the black pepper and add hot sauce to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2006, 07:22:18 AM »
MY BOYFRIEND'S FAVORITE CHICKEN STRIPS

butterfly chicken breasts then slice against the grain to create near-julienne strips. they should look sorta like thin-cut french fries. place in large bowl, add some crushed garlic, toss lightly to mix. after a bit, dredge the chicken strips seasoned flour (i use sea salt, cracked pepper, italian seasonings, paprika).

heat 1/4" olive oil in large skillet till almost smoking and fry chicken in batches. do not overcrowd. turn a couple of times until the strips are golden brown. drain on toweling, keep warm until ready to serve.

note: keep oil in skillet hot to avoid greasy chicken strips. add more oil as necessary between the batches of chicken.

garnish the cooked chicken with some fresh chopped italian parsely and serve with lemon wedges. don't sprinkle with lemon juice until right before serving or you will lose the crispness of the light flour coating.

this is nice served with a cuban avocado salad and sparkling raspberry lemonade...  :D

(try a similar recipe using fresh squid and peanut oil, subsituting cilantro for the parsley, and fry with a few small, dried red chili peppers)

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2006, 07:27:25 AM »
Hej, Iver, fellow Scandinavian!

As I'm vegetarian and my cooking is pretty much about beans, I instantly thought of this recipe. I don't know what lamb tastes like, but I have a feeling that this might work. It's Italian rather than American, I'm afraid, and I have to admit I can't really see Ennis preparing this. But it's very tasty. Original recipe says it's good with bacon, too.

Fancy tomato beans

1 1/2 dl olive oil (that's a good 1/2 cup, I think)
10 fresh sage leaves or 1 1/2 tablespoon dried sage
2 - 3 cloves of garlic
2 cans of white beans
1 1/2 dl dry white wine (same amount as the olive oil)
2 tablespoons tomato purée (the kind of concentrated tomato paste that comes in tubes)
salt and black pepper

Heat oil in casserole or pan, fry garlic and sage lightly. Add beans, wine and tomato paste, simmer for 10-15 minutes (cover the pan/casserole). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Hei kjaerre venner!!!

Those beans sound deilig - but I would substitute rosemary and/or mint for the sage as you are roasting lamb.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2006, 07:28:25 AM »
Peas. They're a good thing!

visualize whirled peas!

;)
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2006, 07:37:08 AM »
this is more of a snack tip than a recipe, but since i made it for myself last night, i thought i would share it.

quantities are negotiable.  i took about 3/4 cup of ricotta cheese (i prefer whole milk ricotta, but skim will do) and drizzled it liberally with low carb maple syrup, added about 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts and stirred well.  you can add a teaspoon or two of cream or half and half to smooth out the texture if needed.

i don't count so good, but the carb count is acceptably low, and it really settles that sweet tooth.

this can be varied using just spenda and vanilla, which makes a filling suggestive of canoles, or low carb blueberry syrup with a 1/4 cup blueberries added for taste and texture.

i am sure you can think of countless variations, just as i have.  ricotta is our friend  ;D
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Nick_F

« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2006, 08:21:06 AM »
I love all the lo carb snack ideas here, thanks!

Now where did i put that time that i need to do this stuff........?

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2006, 09:43:33 AM »

Individual Ham, Cheese and Veggie Frittatas

POINTS® Value | 2
Servings | 8
Preparation Time | 15 min
Cooking Time | 0 min
Level of Difficulty | Easy

breakfast | Whip up a batch of these mini frittatas on a Sunday night and you’ve got breakfast ready to go for the work week. Just pop them in the microwave for a few seconds and enjoy.

Ingredients

2 sprays cooking spray
1 pound frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
4 large egg(s), beaten
1 Tbsp fat-free skim milk
1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
2 oz cooked lean ham, finely chopped
1/8 cup sweet red pepper(s), finely chopped (2 Tbsp)
1/8 cup green pepper, finely chopped (2 Tbsp)
2 Tbsp onion(s), finely chopped
1/2 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 8 muffin tin holes with cooking spray. Spread potatoes around bottom and press potato up sides of each muffin hole; place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat eggs and milk together in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add ham, peppers, onion and cheese to bowl; mix to combine.

Remove potatoes from oven (after cooking for 10 minutes) and press potatoes down firmly with a spoon so that they are spread out like mini piecrusts (potatoes should cover bottom and sides of each hole). Pour about 1/4 cup of egg mixture into the centre of each muffin hole.

Return pan to oven and cook until potatoes are crisp and golden, and the egg mixture is set, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit about 5 minutes before serving. Yields 1 frittata per serving.

FUNGURL

Daphne and Chloe

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2006, 12:08:46 PM »
I found this thingy in an article about healthy breakfasts for people who don't like to eat in the mornings. It's ideal for the forumite lifestyle, since you make it in the time it takes to load a youtube vid, and you gulp it down without using cumbersome forks, spoons, or other instruments that take motor skills and distract you from reading and writing. It's crammed with nutrients - lots of protein, no added sugar - and will keep you from getting hungry for at least a couple of hours. And of course, it's very tasty! I have at least one of these a day now instead of cookies or ice cream.

Swedish breakfast milkshake

1 tablespoon soy flour
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 smallish, ripe banana
3 decilitres milk (1 1/4 cups)

Put everything in a mixer and blend it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: found out how many decilitres there are to a cup   :)

This sounds so yummy! I'm sure I can substitute soy milk. I'm going to try this the next time I buy peanut butter. The only problem is, I only buy a jar of peanut butter about twice a year because I'm so crazy about the stuff, I will eat it with a spoon right out of the jar! It's gone in no time.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »
OBSERVATIONS:
What a great thread!  If it wasn't for this forum I would not know there's such
a thing as Breakfast Meatballs!  Love it!

QUESTION:
Do they still sell that brand of beans Jack & Ennis cooked
up on Brokeback?  Better Most?  Anyone know?  (I did a bit of a search
but didn't find anything myself!)  I want me some!

RECIPE:
This is a cocktail recipe made up by Francesco LaFranconi,
the mixologist in the Alex restaurant of the Wynn Las Vegas resort,
prepared on the Martha Stewart Show:

THE BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN

Serves 1
3    sprigs fresh mint
2    ounces fresh sweet ’n sour or fresh lemonade
1 1/2    ounces Bulleit Bourbon
3/4    ounces Disaronno Amaretto Liqueur
2    tablespoons sliced canned peaches

Place the mint in a highball glass and muddle it for few seconds. In a shaker, combine lemonade, peaches, bourbon, and Amaretto. Fill with ice, and shake vigorously for few seconds. Transfer to a highball glass (do not strain).

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2006, 03:00:18 PM »
Most of the time I'm cooking just for myself, and I don't like to fuss about much, so I'm always interested in stuff that can be frozen. 

Costco, and probably other similar stores,  has guacamole (which somebody above dared to slander!), basil pesto,  and hummus, all of them pretty good. The only original container I have at hand is for hummus; it lists a bit of chemical preservative, the other ingredients being quite respectable.  Anyhow,  it's easy to freeze all three in small portions.  Nice to have at hand.  Actually, I suspect it would cost more to make the guacamole and the pesto from scratch than to buy these hefty containers.

Bananas: doing that seven-fruits-and-veggies-daily thing can be a bore.  I core and bake the occasional apple or pear in the microwave, for a change.  I think it's bananas that are most improved by zapping, though.  Peel, halve the long way, put in a dish, and cover with a paper towel.  Try for thirty seconds; sometimes that's all it takes.  Mushy and disheveled-looking, but with a pleasant change in aroma and taste.  Put a dollop of non-fat sour cream on top, if you like, or some brown sugar...or whatever.

Some non-fat sour cream isn't half bad.  I mix it in roughly equal quantity with some of the refrigerated creamstyle salad dressings, which tend to be strongly seasoned and still taste fine in spite of the dilution.  Or with mayonnaise.  It doesn't do to cook it, though.

Offline iver

• Experienced
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2006, 03:16:47 PM »
QUESTION:
Do they still sell that brand of beans Jack & Ennis cooked
up on Brokeback?  Better Most?  Anyone know?  (I did a bit of a search
but didn't find anything myself!)  I want me some!

This is exactly what I've been trying to find out too. The brand of beans or a recipe on how to cook them! Still grateful for responses from any Midwesterners who can remember as far back as the sixties.
Iver
Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending.