The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 398435 times)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2006, 04:02:59 AM »
got this from a box of pasta years ago and it's so quick and easy. let me just say that imported durum semolina (or whatever it is) pasta is great, there's something different about it, better flavor, texture. go italian~! barilla and dececco are my favorite, readily available brands. for this recipe try using a thin, quick cooking pasta, to go with the paper-thin zucchini.

SPICY ZUCCHINI PASTA with MILK

good olive oil
zucchini squash
crushed fresh garlic
red chili pepper flakes
sea salt and black pepper
thin spaghetti or angel hair
a little bit of milk or half and half
some freshly grated hard italian cheese

(start the water for the pasta.) grate cheese. slice one or two squash into very thin coins -- as thinly as possible. crush two or three cloves of garlic. heat a good amount of olive oil in your favorite large pan, toss in garlic, heat to release flavor, don't let it burn. add squash. (add pasta to boiling water.)

stir zucchini squash around a bit till it softens; it will cook quickly as it's cut so thinly. (stir pasta!) add a half cup or so of milk or half and half, turn up heat high and heat quickly, stirring, don't let it boil tho. add some salt, pepper, and a nice shake of pepper flakes. remove from heat. sauce will be thin.

when pasta is al dente, drain lightly, don't rinse. add this to the zucchini sauce. toss in pan over heat for a while if too watery, pasta will soak up sauce nicely.

now transfer the pasta to big, warmed bowl, add the cheese (lots of it if you please), toss lightly. you can add some chopped fresh italian parsley to the mix, it adds a nice freshness.

--> cheese can be parmesan or romano, but fontina, asiago, and the greek kasseri or mizithra cheeses work nicely as well.
--> try drizzling some white or black truffle oil on the pasta when it's on the plate,,,, it imparts a nice, earthy flavor.

THE GIRLS NEED TO BE FED!
WELL YOU TAKE CARE OF IT!
SUPPER IS ON THE STOVE!!!
NOBODY'S EATIN' IT UNLESS YOU SERVE IT!   ;D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline iver

• Experienced
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2006, 02:04:19 PM »
[
can we have a powwow of us golden oldies to strangle the poster above... all the way back indeed >:(
Hi Jack, ;D
I am the same age as Ennis and Jack, and I do remember the sixties!. The irony of my expression was targeted at myself, I have found it useful in dealing with people half my age which is what I do most of the time. I like the expression "golden oldies"!
Iver

Hi, Jack!
I think I am close to your age. I still manage to communicate successfully with people much younger. One of the strategies I use is to make light of my age. Do you think that is bad?
I realize there is some ageism around. But I don't t won't to be the target of the fight against that!

Iver
Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending.

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2006, 08:32:35 PM »
iver...

please don't be overly concerned.  i am not famous for my delicacy of word choice myself.  indeed i was more than half joking about it.  perhaps were your own age known, the inherent joke might have been more obvious.  i often refer jokingly to my age, but my visage is well known.  there are more than a few youngsters who might have used this turn of phrase, and i do like to keep them on their toes.  as you said, we do iive in an age-ist culture.  perhaps you might want to trot over to the gay and gray thread, if it is appropriate, and introduce yourself further.

jack   
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2006, 01:31:40 AM »
BLACK PEPPER ICE CREAM

some good, all natural vanilla ice cream
some black (or pink) peppercorns

scoop one serving of ice cream in small sized bowl.
grate a bit of the peppercorns on top of ice cream.

ENJOY!

--> also good with little bits of carmelized ginger. chinatown is a good source for this spicy, yet sweet treat.

Offline BBM-Intern

• Feet Wet
  • The one moment we all long for in our lives
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2006, 07:13:55 AM »
Now that I have your attention, I knew you guys would know which scene this recipe comes from.

Early on after seeing the movie, I was keen to get hold of this recipe, so I asked around and someone passed me a workable recipe, which I have since modified and adapted.  Trust me, this is tested and I have tried it out on church members and the choir and they loved it.  Please note that our measurements in Australia are metric, if there's someone experienced in translating this to US measures, that would make it a lot easier for most of the other users on this forum.

Cherry Cake

Ingredients

425g can dark sweet pitted cherries
1 tbsp self-raising flour (for dredging cherries)

180g butter
160g castor sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp kirsch / cherry brandy
4 tbsp cherry juice (see method)

225g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

4 egg whites
1 tbsp castor sugar (for egg whites)

Method:

Grease sides and line base of 21cm round cake tin with silicone/baking paper.

Drain can of pitted cherries, reserving juice.  Measure out 4 tbsp of cherry juice, set aside.  Dab cherries with paper towel until fairly dry, then dredge with 1 tbsp self-raising flour.

In large bowl, cream butter, castor sugar, vanilla essence and 2 tbsp cherry juice until light and fluffy.   Add kirsch slowly, beating all the while, followed by egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Fold in sifted dry ingredients alternately with remaining 2 tbsp cherry juice.

In separate bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add the 1 tbsp castor sugar and continue to whisk until soft peaks form.  Fold whisked egg whites into batter.

Pour batter into prepared tin.  Shake excess flour off the cherries, then drop them into the batter one at a time.

Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 170°C and bake for a further one hour or until skewer inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.

Cool cake in tin until lukewarm, then invert onto cooling rack.  Serve warm or cold.  Makes 8-12 servings.

Notes, hints and tips (apologies to experienced cooks, this is to help first-timers):
* Please note Australian measurements are metric: 1 tsp = 5ml; 1 tbsp = 4 tsp = 20ml; US tablespoons are 15ml so adjust accordingly;
* Butter, sugar etc. should be creamed till light and fluffy, which can take a few minutes even with a mixer.  Mixture is properly "creamed" when a small amount dropped into a cup of cold water floats;
* To prevent the creamed mixture from curdling when the kirsch and egg yolks are added, add in a bit of the flour from the recipe;
* Egg whites must be separated carefully from yolks, no trace of yolk must be mixed in with whites, or they won't whisk properly.  Bowl & whisk for whisking whites must be clean, dry and grease-free too;
* Soft peaks are when egg whites are whisked till stiff enough that when beaters are lifted and the whisked whites stand up but just droop over at the tips;
* Folding of egg whites into cake batter must be done gently; it is best to fold in a small amount (say a heaping tablespoon) of whisked egg whites into the cake batter first, this helps slacken/loosen the mixture, and the rest of the egg whites will fold in more easily without deflating.  Use an "under-over-turn" or "figure-of-eight" movement to fold in -- but gently!  After slacking the mixture, fold in the remainder in 2 or 3 batches;
* If you like your cherries distributed into the cake a little more, try poking 1/3 of them into the batter.  The rest will sink in somewhat, leaving a lumpy surface, which I think is part of the home-made charm.

After you try it, if you have improvements, suggestions, or feedback, let me know!

Now a question for you brokeaholics: Would Mrs John Twist have used a Sunbeam Mixmaster?  Perhaps she had one from earlier days?  From what I understand, it is a bit of an American icon, it was also very popular here in Australia.  A pity I gave my woodtone (!) model away, otherwise I'd have used it to give the cake-making that extra bit of nostalgia!  I imagine nowadays, you would use a Kitchenaid instead.

Have fun!  If you were in Brisbane, I'd invite you round for a cup of coffee and a piece of this cake and we can talk Brokeback till the cows come home!

Lem :-)
Love is the only force of nature to embrace, fear is not the alternative.

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2006, 07:45:57 AM »
BLACK PEPPER ICE CREAM ...

Sounds well worth a try.  That ginger, btw, is often available at supermarkets,  in a little red cardboard box. At least, I imagine it's the same thing.

And then there's the most basic black pepper recipe of all: stash a bottle of vodka in the freezer until it's syrupy.  Pour out a little glassful; grate pepper on top.

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2006, 11:58:45 AM »
WHITE CHICKEN CHILI

1 lb. raw chicken breast, cubed
I TBS olive oil
1 cup onions chopped
dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
I can chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (4oz) can diced green chilies (not jalepeños)
2 cans (15 oz each) Cannelli beans (White Kidney Beans)
           (Progresso or Goya brand)

In a large frying pan, cook raw chicken with onion, garlic and spices until chicken is no longer pink.
Put rest of ingredients in a large pot, add chicken and onion mixture.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
Very low in fat and calories and very tasty.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2006, 01:09:29 PM »
lem, the cherry cakes sounds like the real thing, you should post a pic, sliced of course, so we can see the similarities! it looks to me that it's similar to a pound cake with cherries inside. for some reason, i picture jack's mom using an old-fashioned handheld rotary beater, but wouldn't it be funny if tucked away on the counter in that scene there was a shiny chrome amana radar range microwave, heh.

castro, i'm reminded that there's absolut peppar in a bottle, but never thought to simply grate some pepper on top of chilled vodka. i do like the flavored vodkas, and almost bought a bottle of peach vodka last night but thought the better of it, ;D  but am more likely to make/enjoy flavored vinegars and oils than the hi-test stuff ;)

killersmom, that white chili sounds really good, what an interesting twist on the traditional red stuff. i bet this is good with white cornbread, if there is such a thing, white wine, and of course, white pepper ice cream, for dessert. :D

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2006, 01:50:00 PM »
Stuffed peppers.  Vastly variable comfort food; freezable.  Basics: sweet peppers, rice, ground meat.  Cut the stem end off  peppers (green, red, or yellow); clean out seeds and white membrane (scissors and a grapefruit spoon helpful).  Boil them in a big pot of water until cooked but not falling apart.    (Or microwave,   for smaller number.)  Cook  rice (white, brown, even a preseasoned box mix).  Fry lean ground beef or ground Italian sausage).  Mix rice and meat (I usually go roughly half-and-half)  plus preferred seasonings; spoon into peppers. It's nice to have extra stuffing mix to go with each serving.

Some possibilities:  cook rice in broth or other seasoned liquid; add chopped cooked onion or mushrooms or other vegs or a bit of garlic; add a handful of wild rice for chewiness (cook separately in microwave to get right texture).  Bulghur wheat another possibility. Could mix a tomato sauce into the rice/meat, or serve with sauce separate.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2006, 01:04:57 AM »
our neighbor's kumquat tree is bursting with fruit. i like to eat these whole, but there are so many! this is a good way to make good use of these tiny, citrus-like fruit.

kumquat chutney

2 teaspoon salt
2 star anise stars
3 cups white sugar
4 minced garlic cloves
2 tablespoon peanut oil
2 thinly sliced small onion
2 tablespoons white vinegar
4 jalapeno peppers thinly sliced
5-6 cups kumquats, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
1 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice
2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper

saute the garlic, onions, ginger and chiles in the vegetable oil over medium heat until onion is transparent. then add the other ingredients,, stir well and simmer over low heat about 30 minutes. taste -- add more sugar if kumquats are especially tart, more salt if you wish. when cool, store in a clean, glass jar.

--> you can add golden raisins to the mixture as well.

this stuff is nice with pork chops, packed inside riceballs, as a topping for broiled chicken breasts, with cheese and crackers, etc.. a good snack: on a thin slice of pumpernickel, add sharp cheddar, a sliver of chicken breast and/or avocado, then a dollop of kumquat chutney. these little open-faced sandwiches are great with a good pot of hot tea!

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2006, 05:44:40 AM »
oh god jimmy...

i am practically salivating here.  i looooooooove chutney, and i looooooooove kumquats, although, like you, they usually get plopped whole right into the mouth, savoring the complexity of tastes of the entire fruit rind and all.  i usually have mango chutney so this is a treat indeed.  if you get to make some, i hope you can save a little till next november or so...

we need a smiley who drools...

jack

modified by jack

i would also be intgerested to know if anyone has experimented with recipes that use this much sugar substituting splenda for the sugar.  can you use it as a major ingredient?    J

"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Daphne and Chloe

« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2006, 11:17:59 AM »
My friend got this recipe from one of her cooking magazines. The original is a torte where each round layer is cut in half and layed with jam and then almond paste on the top layer. However it could be frosted with anything and is a simple egg free recipe. It is also easy to 1/2 the recipe and just make one layer. It's good plain with coffee.

COCOLATE CAKE

3 Cups all purpose flour
2 Cups sugar
3/4 Cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Cup water
1 Cup cooled coffee
2/3 Cup cooking oil
1 tsp. vanilla

Grease and lightly four two round cake pans. In a mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add water, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed just till combined (I hand mix it and it works fine) Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or till done. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.

Good, easy basic recipe and you can do anything with it.

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2006, 08:02:43 PM »
BLACK PEPPER ICE CREAM

some good, all natural vanilla ice cream
some black (or pink) peppercorns

scoop one serving of ice cream in small sized bowl.
grate a bit of the peppercorns on top of ice cream.

ENJOY!

--> also good with little bits of carmelized ginger. chinatown is a good source for this spicy, yet sweet treat.

Jimmy, you eat some of the strangest things....but you really do spur on the adventurous side of my food appetite.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2006, 03:38:10 AM »
I thought a link to this site might be useful in this thread:

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking

Unit conversions especially for kitchen use!
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2006, 07:14:36 AM »
Jimmy, you eat some of the strangest things....but you really do spur on the adventurous side of my food appetite.

haha try haagen daaz with balsamic vinegar.. yummy.

at least i don't put mustard on pancakes, with maple syrup. i hear that's a southern thing... ;D

jack, a fellow kumquat lover! i'm also nibbling on loquats from another tree, now that the tangerines have done their thing. i dunno about the splenda, but my friend buys it in huge boxes and uses if for everything. i think she said the uses less splenda than sugar in recipes, as it's sweeter or something like that.

the grapefruit cheesecake sounds reeaaaallyy good!!!  lol, digestive biscuits, :D