The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 398537 times)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #750 on: February 12, 2008, 12:07:47 AM »
^^^  you can cook/poach eggs in brown paper bags too! it's an old boy scout trick...  oh wait -- that just sounds wrong. ::) :D

eggs in paper sack

When camping, cleaning pots and pans is no fun. No one wants to wait for the water to heat up over the fire and no one likes washing dishes. Solution — Paper Bag. Brown lunch bags work the best. Just place the bacon on the bottom of the bag and crack an egg on top of the bacon. Use a stick to prop the bag over hot coals. Rotate the bag a few times and you have yourself breakfast.

okay, that sounded a bit vague, so here is a better recipe for the same "dish":

INGREDIENTS:

* Two strips bacon (thick)
* one paper lunch bag
* one egg
* one stick

PREPARATION:
Cut bacon strips in two, place at the bottom of the paper bag, covering the bottom. It is important that you have thick strips of bacon as thin ones will stick and adhere to the paper bag when cooked. Crack egg and put in paper bag on top of the bacon. Fold lunch bag down three times and poke a hole through it with the stick, so that the bag is hanging on the end of the stick. Hold over charcoal and watch the grease from the bacon protect the bag and cook the meal.

oh gee, i found another recipe too, utilizing two ziplock bags:

ice cream in a zip lock bag:

INGREDIENTS:

* One small seal top plastic bag
    * One gallon size seal top plastic bag
    * 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    * 1/2 cup of milk
    * Crushed ice
    * 8 tablespoons ice-cream salt(rock salt)
    * One tablespoon peanut butter

PREPARATION:
In a small seal top plastic bag, pour 1/2 cup of milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Close the bag and place in a gallon-size seal top bag. Add some crushed ice and 8 tablespoons of ice cream salt(rock salt).

Close the top and shake being careful not to bust the bags. You could also add one tablespoon of peanut butter... yummy!

speaking of eggs and tricks:  http://www.eggs.ab.ca/kids/Tricks/eggtrick010.htm

PS: guess what, linda and i are doing that crock pot roast beef this week!~ :D :D we have the three seasoning packets. now, all i ask is: WHERE'S THE BEEF?   ;D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline huntinbuddy

• Obsessed
« Reply #751 on: February 12, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »

eggs in paper sack

Goodness, the things you learn on this forum!  I have not heard of this one Jimmy!  But I do my share of camping in the warmer months and will give it a try.  But one thing I have to question.....does the bacon generate that much grease so the bag doesn't go up in flames!    At the minimum you are going to have to keep the bag up off the coals a good distance, or it would go up in flames wouldn't it?
Life is worth living fully. Live each moment like you are going to die tomorrow.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
« Reply #752 on: February 12, 2008, 06:50:46 PM »

ice cream in a zip lock bag:

INGREDIENTS:

* One small seal top plastic bag
    * One gallon size seal top plastic bag
    * 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
    * 1/2 cup of milk
    * Crushed ice
    * 8 tablespoons ice-cream salt(rock salt)
    * One tablespoon peanut butter

I wonder if the recipe could be increased to a more manageble Serviing Size --- - --  like 2 Cups.   lol

I'm either gonna have to get bigger bags or make more bags.

Thanks jimmy.....    ;)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #753 on: February 12, 2008, 07:38:25 PM »
cabin, i've seen some huge ziplock bags... i think you could make a gallon of ice cream if necessary! but that's a heck of a lot of massaging the bags, LOL.

huntinbuddy, i have NO idea how the paper bag doesn't burn. when we went camping as scouts, we used a frying pan to make our breakfasts. :D  ;)

however, i did see firsthand some hupa/yurok indians boil acorn mash in a woven grass basket (over hot coals), so i guess it can be done!

there was also a kids/camping recipe for making eggs in orange rind halves.. but egg and orange flavors?  hmmmm.  :P

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #754 on: February 13, 2008, 03:00:52 AM »

eggs in paper sack

a heck of a lot of massaging the bags

are you guys sure you're still talking about cooking ?  :o :o ::) ;D ;D

about the bags not burning: i think it is the grease/ fat from the bacon that keeps the bag from burning. that's why the bacon has to go in the bag first. i haven't tried that myself though, yet. but i will as soon as the camping season starts again - just because it sounds funny!
but another great technique for getting rid of the dirt in the pans is to simply leave them on the fire after eating and pour water in them - the heating water dissolves all the food leftovers and you can easily discard them later on.  ;) :)
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #755 on: February 13, 2008, 03:46:04 AM »
whaa? i'm talkin about makin ice cream!~ ;)

your hot pan of water reminds me of a woman i knew, who, after dinner, would boil water for tea, coffee, etc.,,, then she'd splash any extra boiling water on her stove top... to loosen grease, splatters, etc. and also pour it on her cutting boards to "sterilize" them.

Offline desertrat

• Sunflower
  • Obsessed
  • No angel ;-)
« Reply #756 on: February 13, 2008, 04:15:57 AM »
smart woman ! i usually do it whenever i burnt something on the bottom of pans - just pour water in and let the erst heat from the oven do the trick.  ;)
Minds are like parachutes... they both work better when opened.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
« Reply #757 on: February 14, 2008, 05:47:04 AM »
Not sure where else to post this suggestion but here goes:

I find that many times I will be on travel.  Come home, then a few days
later see on TV that this city or that has the best "so and so" at some restaurant
or "hole in the wall" the locals have been going for many years.  It's either a local
speciality or something and I just missed it because I didn't even know it was there.
Food Network had a show called "The Best Of" and it was very effective.  However,
I would trust your suggestions much more, than a network show.   ;)

How about sharing the "best" of whatever is in your town -- those restuarants and dives where the locals
have been going for years for the "best this" and "best that".    It can be anything from the best hamburgers,
strudel, local bakery, seafood, candy or whatever.  And it can be from any part of the world.

Mmmmmmm, maybe this should be in the travel thread.... we'll see.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #758 on: February 14, 2008, 07:35:24 PM »
It's probably fairly well known, but the best place in New Orleans to get a muffuletta sandwich (huge, delicious, Italian) is a place called Central Grocery in the French Quarter. To die for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #759 on: February 15, 2008, 03:32:55 AM »
my "best of" restaurant-wise:

ahh! well since we're in SF right now, i will have to say san francisco's SWAN OYSTER DEPOT on polk street, for oysters, shrimp, clam chowder, prawn or crab louis, etc... haven't been there in years, but it's served food for decades (since 1912) and is quite good.

it was a great place to duck into on rainy SF days, climb up on a barstool along the long white marble bar,break sourdough bread and enjoy a cup of chowder... but the oysters! oh my... that's what we used to go for... that and the crab louis -- fresh crab on iceberg lettuce with plain thousand on the side... but the crab! salty, sweet, firm and tender at the same time... magnifico. :D

speaking of seafood -- is berkeley's SPENGER's seafood grotto still open? that was always a fun place to take friends. a bit touristy, but i did like their steamed clams in garlic sauce, and also their huge fried jumbo shrimp. i recall hearing that it was once the busiest restaurant in the world...   how you measure dat? ;D

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
« Reply #760 on: February 15, 2008, 05:53:32 AM »
It's probably fairly well known, but the best place in New Orleans to get a muffuletta sandwich (huge, delicious, Italian) is a place called Central Grocery in the French Quarter. To die for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffuletta

lol, and here I thought Quiznos invented it.......   :D

The muffuletta sandwich originated in 1906 at Central Grocery, which was operated by Salvatore Lupo, a Sicilian immigrant.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
« Reply #761 on: February 15, 2008, 05:57:04 AM »

San Francisco --  Swan Oyster Depot
New Orleans  --  Central Grocery Store (Muffulettas)

Jimmy --

Oysters -- probably the worlds perfect food -- nothing needed to down it.    I know that some people will go ewwwww, that's just more for us.     ;D    ;)

Still thinking about what to submit for SA . . .

Offline ybwc

• Experienced
« Reply #762 on: February 15, 2008, 04:27:01 PM »
well I just found a bakery that makes home-made porkn'beans (very nice with home-made bread with butter). add a bit of maple syrup-yum thats great too. thats a good choice for the campfire grub. note to self-keep flap of tent open.
I am who I am supposed to be.

Offline cabin

• Obsessed
« Reply #763 on: February 17, 2008, 09:41:36 AM »
OK, here goes --

A local spot for the best Fried Chicken called M.K. Davis in San Antonio 
however, it's  better known for it's Chicken Fried Steak.  The pic doesn't
do it justice but it was the only one I could find -- I still prefer the fried chicken
oh, and of course, the onion rings......

For more than 50 years, it has been serving up chicken-fried steak, enchiladas and schooners of beer on North Flores,
and folks keep coming back for more. During a recent lunch, blue- and white-collar workers and families filled each of the heavy chairs
at the communal tables in the center of the main dining area, while every booth and bar stool was occupied and a line waited near the door.

One bite of an oversized onion ring made it easy to see why. The large cut of onion, lightly battered, had been fried to a delectable
softness where its natural sweetness came through without being greasy or soggy.
  San Antonio Express-News Dinning Review

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #764 on: February 17, 2008, 10:48:59 AM »
The summer of the BBQ there, I really came to enjoy chicken-fried steak, Gerry. Not only had some at Mama's Cafe in SA, but also later on when visiting friends in Ft Worth, at a great little place outside of town which served only that, basically.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:55:45 AM by fritzkep »
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."