The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 401875 times)

Offline clarabell

• Expert
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 01:57:21 PM »
I never thought about using soy in bread pudding, but what a great idea! thanks :)
"Because, wherever your heart is, that is where you'll find your treasure." Paulo Coelho from The Alchemist

goobles

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 08:33:07 AM »
This banana bread recipe has been a hit with my hubby's office colleagues.  I like to add a little ground nutmeg, cinammon and clove.

To-Die-For Banana-Nut Bread presented by Virginia Highland Bed and Breakfast   

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup refined sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups mashed ripe bananas
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup nuts
1/4 cup maple syrup

Cream butter with sugar. Add egg. Add bananas and mix until smooth. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to creamed mixture and stir until moist. Add nuts and maple syrup, mixing, until smooth throughout. Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 70 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Pour on glaze and Enjoy!

Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and 1/8 cup maple syrup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virginia Highland Bed and Breakfast
Atlanta, Georgia
I got this from http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 02:30:21 PM »
I got this from a low-carb site that I visit often. It is not my recipe but it is sooo.. good

GREEN "ENCHILADA" CHICKEN CASSEROLE
4 cups cubed cooked chicken or turkey
2 teaspoons Seasoning for Tacos
8 ounces cream cheese
1 tablespoon minced chives, optional
7 ounce can Green Mexican Salsa
4 ounce can chopped green chiles
6 ounces Monterey jack cheese, shredded
4 green onions, chopped

Grease an 11x7" baking pan. Put chicken in pan and toss with taco seasoning to coat. Soften cream cheese and whisk well with the chives and green sauce in a medium bowl. Stir in the chiles. Pour sauce evenly over chicken; top with cheese. Bake at 350º 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with green onions.

Makes 6-8 servings

Per 1/6 recipe: 432 Calories; 29g Fat; 38g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs
Per 1/8 recipe: 324 Calories; 22g Fat; 28g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 3g Net Carbs

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 09:19:32 PM »
hey sherry, do you have any of these cool recipes that don't go in the oven?  i do not use my oven for anything but storage.  i usually can translate to microwave but it is harder that way. 

thanks,

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2006, 09:43:49 PM »
Wilted Onions

A hot mixture is poured over sliced onions for a relish; or on bread for a sandwich if you really like onions ( nice with that chewy pugliese from Costco); or on top of a chop. Or under some chicken in the Crockpot.   Or whatever.

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup each of water, oil, and white vinegar*
2 teaspoons salt
bit of pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
3 or 4 drops Tabasco.

--------
One or two sliced onions. I slice them fairly thin (using one of those box-type gadgets you slide the onion over).  Even one onion makes a lot.

Instructions: heat the above to boiling (microwave is fine), and pour over the onions.  When the mix is cool, put in a jar and store in fridge.  Supposed to keep 2 or 3 weeks, but it's tasted fine for longer than that.

*This isn't brain surgery.  I've used rice vinegar as well as plain white, or a mix of the two.  And canola oil, or part olive oil.  I like to use sweet onions.  Used a red onion once simply because it was on hand; the result was a slightly strange pink, but stilll tasty. You could leave out the Tabasco.  And I've been meaning to try adding herbs to the mix. Wonder what would be good with onions...

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 05:48:18 AM »
This banana bread recipe has been a hit with my hubby's office colleagues.  I like to add a little ground nutmeg, cinammon and clove.

SSE,

That sounds delish!  I'm going to make it this weekend (for me.  ;D)
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 05:50:57 AM »
Wilted Onions

A hot mixture is poured over sliced onions for a relish; or on bread for a sandwich if you really like onions ( nice with that chewy pugliese from Costco); or on top of a chop. Or under some chicken in the Crockpot.   Or whatever.

Ingredients:
1/2 Cup each of water, oil, and white vinegar*
2 teaspoons salt
bit of pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
3 or 4 drops Tabasco.

--------
One or two sliced onions. I slice them fairly thin (using one of those box-type gadgets you slide the onion over).  Even one onion makes a lot.

Instructions: heat the above to boiling (microwave is fine), and pour over the onions.  When the mix is cool, put in a jar and store in fridge.  Supposed to keep 2 or 3 weeks, but it's tasted fine for longer than that.

*This isn't brain surgery.  I've used rice vinegar as well as plain white, or a mix of the two.  And canola oil, or part olive oil.  I like to use sweet onions.  Used a red onion once simply because it was on hand; the result was a slightly strange pink, but stilll tasty. You could leave out the Tabasco.  And I've been meaning to try adding herbs to the mix. Wonder what would be good with onions...
Sage with chicken/turkey.  rosemary and mint with lamb.  oregano/marjoram/parsley/(garlic!) with beef.  dill with [strong-flavored] fish.

"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 09:22:57 PM »
A very quick salad for those of us that lo-carb and don't get enuf of our veggies in.

Small pieces of broccoli
small pieces of cauliflower
Cheddar cheese cut into small cubes (could use shredded)
Bacon - shredded
sunflower seeds (optional)

toss this with a vinegar/splenda/mayo dressing.   4 carbs max per serving

I am the original lazy cook but I do ok.  This is so good!

I buy the small bags of broccoli/caluiflower mix they sell at the store for veggie trays and use that.
I fry a whole pound of bacon at one time and keep it in the frig for when I need it.

Shry

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 09:42:07 PM »
sherry...

i have a variation on virtually the same recipe.  the hot version.

i microwave steam my veggies, either singley or in the same combo, place in casserole dish, sprinkle VERY LIBERALLY with pre-cooked crumbled bacon (i buy the Hormel's version in the jumbo package form the big box store and keep in fridge,  it stores well, compares favorably in price per cooked weight and substantially reduces the fat), overtop that with cubed cheddar and or the pre-shredded kind (jumbo bag of which i always have in the fridge), seeds are optional,  and then pop back in the micro until the cheddar is thoroughly melted through.  makes a whole meal for me, or a side dish for 3 or 4.

yummy, and virtually negligible carbs after fiber is discounted.

you can also steam cauliflower until soft, beat or puree thoroughly add butter or smart balance to taste as you puree, a touch of salt or salt sub and lots of seasoned pepper or coarse ground black pepper and serve in lieu of potatoes.  i like to add a good bit of grated parmesan.  i like this with pork loin chops cooked with sesame oil, or with cumin and garlic.

jack         
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 09:48:14 PM »
Jack, throw in some bacon bits and a hand of shredded cheese with the mashed cauliflower

yummmmee....

Shry

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 09:48:39 PM »
Do you want some sweets that are low carb??

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 09:56:35 PM »
no bake lemon cheesecake

this is really tasty

1 box sf lemon pudding
1 block cream cheese 8 0z
1 cup water 1 cup half n half *could of use 2 cups hoods carb milk*

put in pie pan,chill.

You could add some fresh berries of your choice on top.

Of course this isn't a Famous New York Style or even a ripped off version of the Cheescake factory..
but it does the job!

;)
shry

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 11:52:47 PM »
I found this thingy in an article about healthy breakfasts for people who don't like to eat in the mornings. It's ideal for the forumite lifestyle, since you make it in the time it takes to load a youtube vid, and you gulp it down without using cumbersome forks, spoons, or other instruments that take motor skills and distract you from reading and writing. It's crammed with nutrients - lots of protein, no added sugar - and will keep you from getting hungry for at least a couple of hours. And of course, it's very tasty! I have at least one of these a day now instead of cookies or ice cream.

Swedish breakfast milkshake

1 tablespoon soy flour
2 teaspoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 smallish, ripe banana
3 decilitres milk (1 1/4 cups)

Put everything in a mixer and blend it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: found out how many decilitres there are to a cup   :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 03:30:45 AM by Laurentia »
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

goobles

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 06:19:44 AM »
SSE,

That sounds delish!  I'm going to make it this weekend (for me.  ;D)

It is quite yummy!  I especially love the maple syrup icing and the use of brown sugar in the bread.  The loaf is usually gone by the end of the day at my hubby's office.

The bed and breakfast website has a lot of yummy-looking recipes on it.  I can't wait to try some of the other treats.

Nick_F

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 08:45:48 AM »
Too much yummy sweet stuff, hows about something not sweet...