The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 398433 times)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2006, 04:35:55 PM »
can we have a powwow of us golden oldies to strangle the poster above... all the way back indeed >:(
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2006, 06:11:01 PM »
mooska and iver, from what i've heard, the bettermost brand beans was made up by the prop department working on brokeback mountain, so good luck in finding the can of beans in a store! ;)

i *think* they were auctioning off cans of beans from the set on eBay, so that might be your best bet in getting a can of the famous beans!

i think the recipe for the brokeback beans is simple: open can, place can carefully near campfire, wait till they're bubbly and hot, then eat while humming. ;D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2006, 06:36:21 PM »
WHITE BEAN HUMMUS

about four cups of great northern white beans or similar type, canned or fresh-made
olive oil
lemon juice
dash sesame oil
lots of crushed garlic
black pepper & sea salt
a handful of italian parsley
some tumeric and/or paprika

mash the beans with potato masher or other device. (you can use a blender i prefer a chunkier texture.) add 1/4 to 1/2 cup of good green olive oil to soften consistency and make it creamy. finely chop and add the italian parsley and about 3 cloves of crushed garlic. the tumeric is healthy and adds a nice yellow color. add the juice of one entire lemon, but you can subsitute with vinegar -- balsamic or white wine vinegar is nice. i add a lot of crushed black pepper, and a little bit of sea salt.

sesame oil is optional, but since traditional hummus calls for tahini, i figure a dash couldn't hurt!

blend together well and let it sit a while (or store in fridge) for flavors to blend. when ready, you can drizzle a little more good olive oil on top, sprinkle with parsley or some paprika, and serve with pita chips or toasted pita bread cut into little triangles, and carrot sticks. kalamata or those wrinkly oil-cured black olives and hot pickled peppers sit well next to this stuff!

--> you can add chili powder or hot sauce to the mix to kick it up a notch. :D

this has been my favorite munchie food lately, beating out tortilla chips and guacamole... ;)

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2006, 07:20:43 PM »
2 easy snacks .... lo carb also

Pepperoni Chips

Place a couple layers of paper towels on a microwavable plate. 
Then place slices of pepperoni in a single layer on top of paper
towels. Microwave 1-2 minutes until crispy (almost brown) No carbs.
Crunch away.  (Tastes somewhat like bacon.)

Absolutely Awesome Jalapeno Appetizers

8 Jalapenos -- tops removed, cut in 1/2 and seeded
8 Strips lean bacon
Cream cheese
toothpicks

Preheat oven to 350.

Stuff each 1/2 of a jalapeno with cream cheese and wrap with a 1/2 piece of bacon. Secure with toothpick. Bake at 350 until bacon is at desired crispness (I like mine just slightly crisp, about 20-25 min).

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2006, 07:24:08 PM »
Fudge

6 oz. cream cheese   
2 tsp. vanilla 
4 tsp. Heavy Whipping Cream 
1 pkg. diet chocolate pudding mix 
1/4 c. chopped walnuts 
5 tsp. peanut butter 

Mix together all ingredients.
Spread in a buttered dish and place in freezer to chill.
Cut into 15 squares.

33 carbs total           Makes 15 pieces at 2.2 carbs each

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2006, 07:29:42 PM »
  Buttermilk Pancakes or Waffles

1 8oz Pkg cream cheese
3 eggs
3 tsp Splenda
1/4 cup Atkins Bake Mix *see below for making your own
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup buttermilk ( I buy the powder type so it lasts forever)

Beat cream cheese with mixer until blended smooth, add the remaining ingredients and let sit for 5 minutes before using.   Preheat non stick pan to med/high heat.   Spray pan with a light coat of butter flavored non stick spray and pour in pan about 3 tbps of mix.   I made them about 5 to 6 inches across.   Be sure to let bubble up all over just like the flour pancakes before turning!

Eat your heart out Aunt Jemima, these are as good as the real thing!

Only 17 carbs in the entire recipe!  Makes 10 large pancakes @ 1.7 carbs per pancake

If you make waffles, this recipe make 18 waffles!  Less than 2 carbs for 2 waffles!

I freeze them and them pop them in the toaster.

Faux Atkins Bake Mix

1 cup soy flour
2 cups soy protein isolate
2 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Splenda

Sift together then store and use as you would Dr. A's.
It's much cheaper and things come out about the same.

3 carbs per 1/2 cup serving

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2006, 07:43:19 PM »
CRISPY CHEESE CRACKERS

Deluxe American cheese slices (not cheese food or cheese product)

Cut one square of cheese into 16 tiny squares. Arrange on a sheet of parchment paper in somewhat of a ring around the edges of the paper. Don't place cheese squares too close together or they'll stick to each other. Don't place any in the center of the paper or they will burn before the outer squares are done. Carefully place the sheet of parchment on the tray of a microwave oven. Microwave on HIGH about 65 seconds, or until crackers are well-browned, but not burnt. What closely and add more time if needed. Remove parchment from microwave and let crackers cool slightly before removing them from the paper. Peel them off the paper and store in an airtight container. Repeat process one cheese slice at a time. These will keep quite well in an air-tight container at room temperature for several days.

Each slice of cheese makes 16 crackers
Can be frozen

Per Serving (16 crackers): 106 Calories; 9g Fat; 6g Protein; .5g Carbohydrate; 0g Fiber; .5g Net Carbs

enjoy!

Offline rick-in

• Feet Wet
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2006, 08:23:39 PM »
Hey Sherry - What awesome recipes!  I made the GREEN "ENCHILADA" CHICKEN on Saturday. It was so good, I made another batch today!  Tried the nobake lemon cheese cake. Very tasty.

Your new dishes look great, too. Thanks much.

Rick

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2006, 08:33:06 PM »
Rick..

Glad you liked the chicken.. it is one of my favorites.

:)

Offline iver

• Experienced
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2006, 10:58:21 PM »
can we have a powwow of us golden oldies to strangle the poster above... all the way back indeed >:(
Hi Jack, ;D
I am the same age as Ennis and Jack, and I do remember the sixties!. The irony of my expression was targeted at myself, I have found it useful in dealing with people half my age which is what I do most of the time. I like the expression "golden oldies"!
Iver
Ennis ran full-throttle on all roads whether fence mending or money spending.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2006, 11:26:49 PM »
Hei kjaerre venner!!!

Those beans sound deilig - but I would substitute rosemary and/or mint for the sage as you are roasting lamb.

In Europe, everyone thinks Americans don't know any foreign languages. The more time I spend on the internet, the more I realise that's not true  :)
This recipe probably works with any choice of herbs, especielly rosemary sounds good.

Quote from: Daphne and Cloe
This sounds so yummy! I'm sure I can substitute soy milk. I'm going to try this the next time I buy peanut butter. The only problem is, I only buy a jar of peanut butter about twice a year because I'm so crazy about the stuff, I will eat it with a spoon right out of the jar! It's gone in no time.

I hope you'll like it! I don't know if there will be too much soy taste with soy milk (as there's soy flour too in the recipe, its taste nicely camouflaged by the cocoa), but if you're used to that taste, I don't think it will bother you. Otherwise, there are other kinds of non-dairy milk to try.
The peanut butter is supposed to be the kind that's basically mashed peanuts, maybe with a bit of salt. I'm under the impression that there are several products labelled "peanut butter" that are more like peanut-flavoured sandwich spread, but as it's not a common food in Sweden, I don't really know  :P
My jar of peanut butter used to last forever since I only used it for making Satay sauce, but since I started those milkshakes, it's disappearing at a remarkable rate.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2006, 12:53:30 AM »
FLAT BLACK CHICKEN CHESTS WITH CHEESE
inspired by grace jones

chicken breasts
gorgonzola cheese
olive oil/butter
fresh garlic
flour
salt & pepper
herbs
sesame seeds

butterfly chicken breast, trimming off all fat. cut into two pieces, and flatten each piece with kitchen hammer thingie between wax or parchment paper, pounding thin to about 1/8" thickness.

crumble some cheese and place in center of flattened chicken breast. roll up chicken, tucking in ends, and secure with toothpick. (roll, tuck ends, roll, secure)  do this with all the chicken pieces you've flattened. then dredge the chicken rolls in seasoned flour -- just flour, salt, pepper, maybe some other herbs.

heat up a little olive oil in frying pan, throw in some butter if you wish, some crushed garlic, and sauteé the chicken rolls until golden brown and cooked through, turning to brown all sides.

while chicken is cooking, toss some sesame seeds in a dry fry pan and toast until brown, almost black, and popping. shake the pan constantly, flipping them around. they will brown quickly. doing this releases the oils and aroma of the seeds.

arrange chicken rolls on plate, and sprinkle liberally with the black sesame seeds. you don't need a sauce as the sauce is the melted cheese on the inside!

--> variation: add chopped walnuts and dried cherries to the cheese mixture.

this is yummy with lightly steamed vegetables, like asparagus with butter and lemon juice,,,, and a simple side salad of jicama, cut into matchsticks, tossed with crushed chili peppers and lime juice.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2006, 02:47:32 AM »
dessert time! i posted this simple dish back in auntie's diner before jack started the recipe thread. here's my old reliable (not the video company!) cantaloupe recipe --

BLACK PEPPER PORT WINE MELON BALLS

one or two ripe cantaloupes
some nice ruby port wine
cracked black pepper
a melon baller tool
a hand blender

with the melon baller, scoop out as many "balls" as you can out of a ripe cantaloupe or two. reserve the balls in a big bowl. then scrape out the remaining flesh with a spoon, and combine that using a hand blender (or regular blender) wth some good red PORT (not tawny). the mixture should be thick, don't add TOOOO much port! add a generous amount of freshly cracked black pepper, then toss the melon balls with this mixture. let it sit for a while for flavors to meld. garnish with a sprig of mint or something if you wish.

it's a nice summertime dessert, with a twist. i suppose you could toss these balls around a dish of good vanilla ice cream too, but it's not necessary. forgot where i got this recipe, perhaps martha stewart living? martha did, on her tv show, tell about putting aged balsamic vinegar on high quality ice cream. try to get the expensive, tiny bottle of balsamic vinegar, the thick stuff is best. just drizzle it on the ice cream...

...it's actually really good, lol. ;D

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2006, 07:08:12 AM »
this is getting SOOOO good.

lots of adaptable recipes, and the first human i know (sherry) who cooks the same kind of meals i eat.  and let me tell you, as simple as it is seems lost on earth (carb) eaters.  i get all these "what special food do you need" questions.

are you reqady for some company sherry?       

Anytime Jack,

I can always put another plate on the table!

;)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2006, 01:39:38 PM »
this is getting SOOOO good.

lots of adaptable recipes, and the first human i know (sherry) who cooks the same kind of meals i eat.  and let me tell you, as simple as it is seems lost on earth (carb) eaters.  i get all these "what special food do you need" questions.

are you reqady for some company sherry?       
Anytime Jack,

I can always put another plate on the table!
plate hah, how about a sleeping bag in the attic  ;D

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."