The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 398434 times)

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #1440 on: July 28, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
It was so good!  And I used frozen jumbo shrimp (thawed) so no need to have fresh on hand.
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #1441 on: July 28, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
I'm gonna have to try it.

And apparently, get an air fryer.  I've heard good things about them. 

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1442 on: July 28, 2018, 03:34:43 PM »
I put off buying one because they just seemed too complicated and I wasn't sure they would do what they said they were supposed to do.  I got one that has 2 dials, temperature and time.  I didn't want to look at this one, and try to figure out what to do.

Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1443 on: July 28, 2018, 03:39:48 PM »
I got the Farberware, $80

Bye, Felicia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1444 on: July 28, 2018, 03:42:09 PM »
Does it work well?

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1445 on: July 28, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
it does.  I've made frozen turkey burgers, frozen sweet potato fries, fresh fish, the shrimp I made for lunch today.

To save on clean up, I use disposable pans and it doesn't affect the cooking.  I also bought a set of accessories:

Multi-Purpose: Bake your favorite cake,bread in the Cake Barrel, cook delicious pizza in the Pizza Pan, maximize your cooking surface with the Metal Holder and make skewers with the Multi-Purpose Rack!

The rack is most useful to me, so I can make more than one thing at a time, i.e. burger and fries.  I haven't tried cake or bread yet.  There are so many recipes online, that's where I got the shrimp one.  If you're considering getting one, google recipes and see if it's something that would work for you.

And I don't have to use the oven, so it keeps the house cool...you might not need that all the time, but it's handy down here...
Bye, Felicia

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1446 on: July 28, 2018, 04:15:14 PM »
I'm going to have to check this out!  Thanks Nancy!!!!

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1447 on: July 29, 2018, 09:28:18 AM »
this will be dinner tonight, with sweet potato fries..

AIR FRYER FISH AND CHIPS HEALTHY

★★★★★ 5 from 1 reviews
Author: Jenna

INGREDIENTS
2 4-6 oz Tilapia Filets
2 tablespoons of flour
1 egg
1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
Old Bay Seasoning
salt and pepper
Frozen Crinkle Cut Fries such as Ore Ida

INSTRUCTIONS
Gather 3 small bowls. In one bowl add the flour, in the 2nd bowl add the egg and beat it with a wire whisk, in the 3rd bowl add the panko bread crumbs and Old Bay Seasoning.
Take the fish and dredge it in the flour, then the egg, and next in the bread crumbs.
Add to the air fryer a long with 15 frozen french fries. Air Fry for 15 minutes at 390 degrees.

https://www.recipe-diaries.com/2017/11/21/air-fryer-fish-and-chips-healthy/

Bye, Felicia

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1448 on: July 29, 2018, 07:02:58 PM »
I think I may try one of these, Nancy. My space is so small that when heat up my oven, it gets really warm in here. Thanks for letting me know how it works. I saw a couple of videos online and was wondering about fried chicken. It looks like it would work ok for this.
Trader Joe's has these Butternut Squash Zig Zags (they look like crinkle cut fries) and it looks like these would work well in the air fryer.
Thanks for all the info.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1449 on: August 05, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »
From skinnytaste.com. 

If you’re craving something decadent and delicious without overdoing the calories, you’ll love these delicious spaghetti squash boats filled with everything you love about lasagna – chicken sausage, tomato sauce, ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheese.

INGREDIENTS:
3 small to medium spaghetti squash (about 5 cups cooked)
salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1/3 cup part skim ricotta cheese
2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chopped parsley (or basil)
3/4 cup whole milk shredded mozzarella cheese
For the sauce:

1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz Italian chicken sausage
14 oz (1/2 can) crushed tomatoes (I prefer Tuttorosso)
salt and fresh pepper, to taste
2 tbsp chopped basil
1 bay leaf

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400ºF.
Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds and membrane. Season lightly with salt and black pepper; bake about 1 hour, or longer if needed on a baking sheet, cut side down.

If you prefer the microwave, cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and fibers and place on a microwave safe dish and cover. Microwave 8-9 minutes or until soft.

In a small bowl combine the ricotta cheese, 2 tbsp parmesan cheese and parsley.

In a large deep sauté pan, heat oil and add onions and garlic; sauté on medium-low for about 3 to 4 minutes, until soft.

Add the sausage and cook, breaking up into smaller pieces until browned and cooked through.

When cooked, add the crushed tomatoes and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Add the bay leaf and cover, reducing heat to low.

Simmer 20 to 30 minutes, then add in fresh basil at the very end.

When spaghetti squash is cooked, let it cool for about 10 minutes keeping the oven on. If you microwaved this, preheat the oven to 400°F.

When the spaghetti squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to remove flesh, which will come out in spaghetti looking strands reserving the shells.

Drain the squash on a paper towel to soak up any excess liquid, then toss with half of the sauce. Place the spaghetti squash back into the 6 shells and place on a baking sheet.

Top each with remaining sauce, 1 tbsp ricotta cheese mixture, and 2 tbsp mozzarella cheese.Bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until everything is hot and the cheese is melted.

NUTRITION INFORMATION Yield: 6 servings, Serving Size: 1 boat
Amount Per Serving:  Freestyle Points: 7 Points +: 8 Calories: 246 calories Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: g Cholesterol: 71mg Sodium: 701mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Protein: 17g
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1450 on: August 05, 2018, 09:42:42 AM »
I think I may try one of these, Nancy. My space is so small that when heat up my oven, it gets really warm in here. Thanks for letting me know how it works. I saw a couple of videos online and was wondering about fried chicken. It looks like it would work ok for this.
Trader Joe's has these Butternut Squash Zig Zags (they look like crinkle cut fries) and it looks like these would work well in the air fryer.
Thanks for all the info.

Hi Linda,
I tried the zig zags in the air fryer and in the oven yesterday, the oven has a slight edge but the ones in the AF were good.  I'm not too sure about fried chicken, but here is a link to a good recipe for crispy fried chicken in an AF.

https://bakeatmidnite.com/air-fryer-crispy-low-fat-fried-chicken/
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1451 on: August 05, 2018, 10:28:18 AM »
that recipe I posted is too much trouble!  Plus, to make it, I'd have to go to the store for ricotta and Parmesan.  I'm going to try this one, I have everything...spaghetti squash is SO hard to cut.  The easiest way I've found is to score it with a knife down one side and microwave it for 5-6 minutes.

Low Carb Caprese Pasta Bake with Chicken Sausage

Ingredients
SERVINGS:  4

4 cups spaghetti squash
4 chicken sausages, sliced (pre-cooked, or vegetarian sausage)
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (or diced Italian tomatoes)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup basil, torn or chopped
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
4 oz. fresh mozzarella, sliced
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Directions
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Season with salt and black pepper. Bake for about 1 hour on a baking sheet with the cut side down. 
To microwave cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds. Place on a microwave safe dish and cover. Microwave 8-9 minutes or until soft. Scrape out all the flesh.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Toss together the squash, sliced chicken sausage, olive oil, cherry tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, and half the fresh mozzarella. Press down flat into the dish.
Top with the remaining fresh mozzarella. Bake for 20-30 minutes until cheese is melted and just beginning to brown.
Drizzle balsamic on top to serve. You can also top with some extra fresh basil.
Bye, Felicia

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1452 on: August 05, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »
Both recipes look really good, Nancy. They would work really well in this household, as my DIL is gluten intolerant, so this would be a good recipe.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1453 on: August 19, 2018, 10:18:26 AM »
I have a spaghetti squash in the oven, 6 chicken breasts in the slow cooker, and I'm making turkey taco meat and a small lean ground beef meatloaf - no cooking during the week for me!

I'm going to put this in another crock pot now, since it has to cook for 10 hours....easy, and it sounds good for topping English muffins or toast.

Crockpot Apple Butter

Prep time 15 mins
Cook time 10 hours

Author: Rachel's Healthy Plate
Serves: 32 servings

Ingredients
3 lb bag of apples (use a sweeter variety such as fuji)
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger powder
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp nutmeg
pinch of salt
½ c water

Instructions
Slice apples into ⅓ inch slices. You can leave the skin on the apple but discard the apple cores.
Place apples and all spices into your crock pot. Pour ½ c water over the apples and give everything a good stir.
Cover and cook on low heat for 9 hours.
After 9 hours the apples will start to fall apart when you stir them. Carefully blend the apples using an immersion blender. (You can also transfer them in batches to a food processor but use caution as the apples are extremely hot).
Allow the blended apples to continue cooking in the crock pot for 1 more hour.
Carefully transfer the apple butter into glass jars. Allow to cool and place in the fridge overnight before eating. (Mixture will continue to thicken overnight and the flavors will be best after cooling). Enjoy!
Notes
Recipe yields 2 pints (4 cups) of apple butter. Makes 32 servings at 2 tbsp/serving.

Entire batch is 0 Weight Watchers Smart Points.

Apple butter should keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge. You can freeze half the batch to enjoy later or can using a hot water bath.

Serving size: 2 tablespoons | Calories: 22 Fat: 0 Saturated fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 6 Sugar: 5 Fiber: 1 Protein: 0

http://rachelshealthyplate.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/7529070272_IMG_5308-640x960.jpg
Bye, Felicia

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1454 on: August 26, 2018, 08:58:48 AM »
Making the usual spaghetti squash (already roasted one yesterday), and trying this out to have a few lunches and dinners ready to go for this week.  Simple to do, everything in one bowl...I don't have cornflakes, so I'm just using panko breadcrumbs.

Taco Spiced Chicken Strips w/ Creamy Avocado Sauce

Author: Rachel's Healthy Plate
Serves: 4 servings

Ingredients
1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
6 tbsp (33g) cornflake crumbs
1.5 tbsp taco seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste*
1 avocado
½ c plain fat free greek yogurt
1 tsp hot sauce, to taste
juice from ½ lime
⅛ tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped, optional
salt and pepper, to taste

Instructions
Place chicken strips into a bowl and sprinkle with the taco season. Toss until the strips are well coated. Season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. *
Place cornflake crumbs on a small plate and roll each chicken strip in the crumbs, coating well. Set aside on a baking sheet. ( The chicken is moist so the crumbs should have no trouble sticking. If they need a little help add about 1 tsp water to the bowl of chicken and taco seasoning.)
Cook - AIRFRYER: cook chicken strips in the airfryer at 400F, about 12 minutes, until internal temperature reaches 165F.
OVEN: cook chicken strips on a non-greased baking sheet at 375F, about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through, until internal temperature reaches 165F.

Make the Sauce: In a small bowl mash the avocado with a fork until the avocado is mostly smooth. Stir in greek yogurt, hot sauce, lime juice, garlic powder, and cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.

* Use your favorite taco seasoning - store bought or homemade! Check the ingredients to determine if you want to add more salt to the mixture. Many store bought seasonings already have plenty of salt.
Bye, Felicia