The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 401633 times)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2006, 04:17:54 AM »
we called 'em s'mores in the seventies! for me, "devils on horseback" are appetizers made from pitted dates stuffed with a sharp cheese, wrapped in bacon and secured with a toothpick, then broiled on both sides until crispy. you can also use figs, either fresh or dried. yummy.

floating islands... now that's something else entirely! (floating ennis?) it's a dessert -- meringue "islands" floating on a sea of sweet custard, sprinkled with cinnamon. i've never made them, but the one time i enjoyed the velvetly mounds was memorable. a sweet guy took me on a romantic date, we shared an order at a candlelit dinner table in the somewhat staid community of walnut creek. we lovingly spoon-fed each other the slippery islands, which scooted around furtively on the plate, and giggled (oh, the wine)...

we got a lot of stares that we thought were glares, but as we finished up, the (gay) waiter said that because of our "display", the kitchen was angry -- just about every table wanted to know what we were eating, and as a result, the chef was up to his ears with orders for the floating islands, lol.

that said, i'd still rather have something else! here is my simplified recipe for...

STRAWBERRIES ROMANOV

fresh strawberries
pure, vanilla ice cream
freshly made whipped cream
some cointreau, an orange liqueur
some tall, fluted parfait glasses, chilled

ok, this is easy. wash and dry the strawberries -- make sure they are ripe and sweet. they should be very fragrant. slice them into quarters, or in half if they're small. place in a bowl and sprinkle with cointreau and a bit of sugar. (about one oz. liqueur and 1 tsp sugar to 2 cups sliced strawberries.) you can skip the sugar if the strawberries are sweet enough! you can do this ahead of time and let it sit in the fridge to marinate.

when ready, bring out the ice cream to let it soften a bit.

make whipped cream: whip the whipping cream -- add a bit of sugar, a dash of vanilla, and beat vigorously in a chilled bowl. once you have frothy peaks, divide the whipped cream into three portions.

in an iced bowl, fold two portions of the whipped cream with the softened ice cream in equal portions, or a little more ice cream if you wish, it doesn't matter. you can even skip this part and use only ice cream... but it's better mixed, because it's fluffier, and you can add more cointreau to this mixture, haha. whatever you do, work fast so the ice cream doesn't melt too much!

grab the parfait glasses, spoon some of the marinated strawberries in each glass. add some of the ice cream. more strawberries, then more ice cream, until you have filled the glass. you should end up with two or three layers... top the last layer of strawberries with a dollop of the reserved whipped cream, add a single small strawberry,,, a sprig of mint....

one word: yummydelicious!

--> if you don't have cointreau, you can subsitute grand marnier, curacao, or another orange flavored liqueur.
--> no alcohol? marinate the berries in freshly squeezed blood orange juice, adding a bit of grated orange rind.

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Bobbie

« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2006, 06:10:05 PM »
Gnash!  That was a RIVETING description of S'mores.  I'm tingly all over!!  I bought the incredient to make some at the beach over the Memorial Day weekend, but there was too much wind to start a fire with.

bbb - if you have to ask how long salad spinners have been around, you probably weren't born when I used my first one....late 60's early 70s! Still have it too.

;D

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2006, 07:27:10 AM »
bobbie, darn that wind!!! oh well, you can toast marshmallows for s'mores over the gas flame of a stove if you're careful, and enjoy them at home! ;D you might want to line the burner area with foil first, haha.

salad spinners! yes they've been around since at least the seventies, we had one at home. now i just shake and drip dry the greens in a colander, or roll them in a clean tea towel to absorb moisssssture. :D

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2006, 04:05:18 PM »
jimmy...

what the hell is a tea towel, and what planet are you from anyway?  <<<joking, you know i am joking right?

i have cheesecloth dishtowels, on martha's say so, and i must say i use them for everything.  i really must get a spinner someday though.

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #109 on: June 06, 2006, 01:43:04 AM »
I've never seen a salad spinner in use, so now that the subject is up: a salad spinner is like a sperical colander and you spin it around so the water is forced out of the salad inside, right?

Well...doesn't that mean you sprinkle the whole kitchen with water? Or is the construction of the salad spinner more ingenious than I imagine?
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Nick_F

« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2006, 03:53:48 PM »

How long have salad spinners been on the market?
I only just got myself one recently, LOL.

8)

bbb since about 1959 - LOL!

Gonzo

« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2006, 05:27:33 PM »
I've never seen a salad spinner in use, so now that the subject is up: a salad spinner is like a sperical colander and you spin it around so the water is forced out of the salad inside, right?

Well...doesn't that mean you sprinkle the whole kitchen with water? Or is the construction of the salad spinner more ingenious than I imagine?

Much more ingenious.  The sperical colander is actually contained with a large unperforated container.  You then put a lid on it and the handle is built into the lid so that all the water is contain within.  There is a space at the bottom of the larger container where the water collects.  After spinning you remove the lid, take out the collander and dump the water is a device called a sink.  Would you like an explanation of what a sink is?   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Gonzo

« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2006, 05:29:24 PM »
I actually have a recipe for a sort of cherry cake if anybody wants it.  Very gourmet.  Not completely cherry but cherries are a significant ingredient.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2006, 08:20:19 AM »
Much more ingenious.  The sperical colander is actually contained with a large unperforated container.  You then put a lid on it and the handle is built into the lid so that all the water is contain within.  There is a space at the bottom of the larger container where the water collects.  After spinning you remove the lid, take out the collander and dump the water is a device called a sink.  Would you like an explanation of what a sink is?   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Ah, I suspected something like that. Thanks for enlightening me!

And thank you also for your gracious offer to enlighten me further, but the sink happens to be an invention I am very familiar with - how I admire the anonymous inventor of this infinitely versatile device! Only last Saturday did I hear about yet another use for it: one can make instant potato mash by plugging the sink, pouring the desired quantity of instant-potato-mash flakes into it, and simply turning on the hot water. Genius, I tell you, genius!

( ;))

I'm very curious about the sort of cherry cake! I've been thinking of making that Australian cake that was posted a few pages back, but there are a few ingredients in it that aren't available in my regular food shop.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2006, 08:42:58 AM »
Cherry Cake

Ingredients

425g can dark sweet pitted cherries
1 tbsp self-raising flour (for dredging cherries)

180g butter
160g castor sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbsp kirsch / cherry brandy
4 tbsp cherry juice (see method)

225g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

4 egg whites
1 tbsp castor sugar (for egg whites)

OK, now that I'm asking questions anyway, does anybody know this?  :)

* Canned cherries: are different varieties very different in taste? I'm going to look for canned cherries in Asian foodstores, since they tend to have many kinds of canned fruit, but I don't expect to be able to choose between several varieties of cherries. Any kind of canned cherries will work, won't it?

* What exactly is self-raising flour? (You see, my folks, they was Swedes. Used potato flour to dredge fruits and berries.) Is anything added to the flour or is it just very finely ground or something?

* Dito for baking powder - is baking powder and baking soda the same thing? The stuff I know as "baking powder" will probably work in this recipe, but 1/2 teaspoon looks very little for a whole cake. Something to do with the self-raising flour, perhaps?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this!

Gonzo

« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2006, 08:43:27 AM »

Ah, I suspected something like that. Thanks for enlightening me!

And thank you also for your gracious offer to enlighten me further, but the sink happens to be an invention I am very familiar with - how I admire the anonymous inventor of this infinitely versatile device! Only last Saturday did I hear about yet another use for it: one can make instant potato mash by plugging the sink, pouring the desired quantity of instant-potato-mash flakes into it, and simply turning on the hot water. Genius, I tell you, genius!

( ;))

I'm very curious about the sort of cherry cake! I've been thinking of making that Australian cake that was posted a few pages back, but there are a few ingredients in it that aren't available in my regular food shop.

You should try my recipe for oatmeal-in-a-sink.  Simply divine!!!   ;D ;D

The cake I mentioned is actually a pumpkin cake with black cherry jelly filling and decorated with cherries.  I can post it if you are still interested.  All ingredients are available in at least most Western markets.

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:40 AM »
LOL you guys are cracking me up with descriptions of salad spinners! 

Although you can wash lettuce and other greens in any large bowl, drying them is another matter. Paper towels never absorb enough water. Only the centrifugal force of a salad spinner throws off the water quickly and with a minimum of effort. Unless you like soggy greens, a salad spinner is a kitchen must-have.

I can't imgaine life without one, I have had one as long as I can remember!  :-\

FUNGURL

Gonzo

« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2006, 08:51:59 AM »
LOL you guys are cracking me up with descriptions of salad spinners! 

Although you can wash lettuce and other greens in any large bowl, drying them is another matter. Paper towels never absorb enough water. Only the centrifugal force of a salad spinner throws off the water quickly and with a minimum of effort. Unless you like soggy greens, a salad spinner is a kitchen must-have.

I can't imgaine life without one, I have had one as long as I can remember!  :-\

But inquiring minds want to know... Do you have a salad shooter?  The perennial XMas gift when you just can't think of anything else.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #118 on: June 07, 2006, 08:52:33 AM »
Twistedboy, I'd like to see the recipe (for the cake, I mean)!
It sounds very interesting; I've been curious about cooking with pumpkins ever since I was hooked on Harry Potter in 1999 or so (pumpkin is made out to be a staple food for witches and wizards in the books).

Offline Lola

• Membership_deactivated
  • Obsessed
« Reply #119 on: June 07, 2006, 08:55:43 AM »
Is there a difference between a spinner and a shooter?  lol   And mine has no space at the bottom of the larger container where the water collects, it has holes, so the water just falls down into the sink, it doesn't collect.   :-*

FUNGURL