The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 401922 times)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #150 on: June 13, 2006, 12:53:33 PM »
oops! oh i guess ICKled works too! now i won't fix it, or the comma after my dad. ;D ::)

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Gonzo

« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2006, 01:01:02 PM »
oops! oh i guess ICKled works too! now i won't fix it, or the comma after my dad. ;D ::)

"And what would like on your burger, sir?"

"Mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion and ickles, please."

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
    • My Adventures In Paradise
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2006, 06:14:19 PM »
is there any hope of returning to some of the classy but quick cuisine we visited a while back.  some of you have a great deal more patience with prep time and culinary methodology than many of us bachelors and busy women.  i don't think the demand is great enough to run two parallel threads, one for gourmet hobbyist cooks, and the other for hurried gourmands, but i could wish for them.

failing that, how about some more quick but delicious  ;D

jack
"through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall..."

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2006, 04:37:50 AM »
how quick jack? the gazpacho can be made in a half hour, not including putting it in the fridge to cool it down. you can place a few ice cubes in the blender and crush that along with the vegetables if you're in a hurry tho. ;)

this is one of the quickest dishes ever, made when i'm in a hurry and hungry...

TUNA & BEAN "SALAD"

can of italian white beans, rinsed and drained
can of solid white tuna, drained and flaked
some fresh italian parsley, chopped
some sweet red onion, sliced
some fresh lemon juice
extra virgin olive oil
some wine vinegar
salt and pepper

toss these ingredients in a bowl! enjoy.

of course you can get fancy and add grated lemon zest, capers, or sliced kalamata olives, etc.. i've added marinated artichoke hearts too. this is a very nourishing simple meal, perfect for summertime, and good with those rye-crisp crackers or some toasted italian bread rubbed with raw garlic halves (rub the cut end, the garlic melts on the hot toast) topped with chopped ripe tomatoes that have been tossed with some olive oil, black pepper, and chopped fresh basil.

this is super easy too:

CHINESE BROCCOLI SALAD

raw broccoli florets, washed and dried. about four cups, or a bowlful
nuts or seeds: almonds, sunflower, pine nuts, etc... i like almonds
handful of golden raisins, the plump ones -- or the brown kind
a few stalks of green onion, sliced. sliced red onions work too
some of that good trader joe's sweet chinese salad dressing*

toss ingredients in a bowl. make this ahead, this is better after it's been marinating a few hours. add the slivered almonds or whatever seeds at the last minute so they are crunchy. of course, you can add slices of poached or grilled chicken breast... or some slices of fried tempeh.

*forgot which one exactly, comes in a bottle, i think it's called chinese salad dressing. it's in the condiments aisle ;)

Gonzo

« Reply #154 on: June 15, 2006, 04:41:41 AM »
*forgot which one exactly, comes in a bottle, i think it's called chinese salad dressing. it's in the condiments aisle ;)

Will we ever get over this madness!! ;D ;D

Bobbie

« Reply #155 on: June 15, 2006, 07:58:20 AM »
Ya know?  I think we should pull together a cook book.  What do folks think?

Bobbie (yummo!)

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #156 on: June 15, 2006, 09:17:29 AM »
bobbie... i am with you, as long as its downloadable.  we have some terrific cooks.  one alteration: i think we need two cookbooks, one full on COOKING with all that entails, and the other good eats, healthy eats, prepared in 30 minutes or less.

some of us can put together a feast fit for a king visually and gustatorially, and others can make healthy food the organizationally challenged can eat and enjoy in under a half hour.  many of us are also interested in stripping the junk carbs out of our diet, but may not want to eat only nuts and seeds.  we have cooks who know their way around this too.

perhaps when some of the other projects die down a bit, we can cull this list for contributors and recipes.  i have a shortlist in my mind of suggestions for contributors.  finding folks with sufficient time and experience to act as volunteer editors, and possibly others to test suggested recipes might be a challenge, but we seem to have a nearly endless pool of talent resources.

an idea worth revisiting...

jack

Bobbie

« Reply #157 on: June 15, 2006, 12:25:55 PM »
Is there such a thing as a "Midsummer's Eve" menu?  I was watching "The Girls Next Door" about Hugh Heffner's "girlfriends" who live at the Playboy Mansion.  (I know, I know, my radical feminism went on a vaction once a week for about an hour  :o) and they through a huge pretty stunning looking "Midsummer's Eve" party.

There costumes were stunning too...well except for Kendra who basically wore nipple tassels, but that's a nother story.

Bobbie

Yes, I'd say there is. As with most traditions and customs, it's not exactly the same everywhere, but the new potatoes with dill, the pickled herring, the crispbread, and the strawberries with cream are absolute musts. You also get shots of spirits, basically vodka flavoured with various herbs, and most people will drink beer with the food. The traditional menu on Swedish holidays is a smörgåsbord (I think you might know the word  :)), a variety of dishes, so for Midsummer you'll often find meatballs, sausages, maybe some fish (especially gravlax, which is very nice, made from raw salmon), salads, cheeses...
For Christmas, it's pretty much the same, only with more and heavier food.

I'm sorry to say that costumes aren't generally that great here, though  :)  We save them for the celebration of St Lucia in December.

Laurentia, this sound delightful.  I'm already planning my 50th which is a few years away, but I'm thinking of making it a theme party and a "MidSummer's Night Eve" is appealing to me.  I'd like to think that even at 50, one is still in the Summer of their life!  ;D

Bobbie

« Reply #158 on: June 15, 2006, 12:29:20 PM »
bobbie... i am with you, as long as its downloadable.  we have some terrific cooks.  one alteration: i think we need two cookbooks, one full on COOKING with all that entails, and the other good eats, healthy eats, prepared in 30 minutes or less.

an idea worth revisiting...
Jack, as usual, you have some very insightful thoughts.  Far more insight than I'm often capable of.  ;D  I'm thinking that for the first version, I can download the recipes that have already been identified on this thread.  BUT, I'm only gonna do it if the recipe contributors are ok with it.  I'm thinking it might be nice to have them available for folks at the various get togethers this year.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 12:48:31 PM by Bobbie »

Offline jack

• Tough Old Bird
  • Obsessed
  • aloha y'all...
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2006, 02:18:50 PM »
why thank you bobbie.   :-[ :-*

i am pretty sure all our contributors so far are more than happy to share vie the site and downloads, and should a print copy be in the offing, permissions could be requested.

jack

Offline RobsGalPal

• Skeptic
  • Obsessed
  • SHERRY
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2006, 05:26:53 PM »
OK Jack something just for you  ;)

I made this when Nick and Rob came to dinner and they liked it enough to have seconds.  Very Very simple and quick.  If you don't want to have it as a pie you could put it in small airtight containers. have a snack when ever you want or take for lunch. enjoy

PIE
Serving Size : 8

2 tablespoons sugar-free vanilla pudding and pie filling
2 cups whipping cream
1/4 Cup Splenda, granular
1 teaspoon vanilla

place pudding mix in a mixing bowl. Gradually whisk in a little of the cream until the pudding mix no longer looks grainy; add 1/4 cup Splenda and vanilla. Whisk in the remaining cream then briskly whisk until filling is thick and fluffy. Be careful not to over whisk or you could end up with butter.

I used a lo-carb peanut butter cookie crust but you could use anything you like. I also used sugar free cheese cake pudding.  Any Sugar free pudding mix will work.  Next time I will use Butterscotch.
 Chill until ready to serve.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 05:33:41 PM by RobsGalPal »

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2006, 01:34:04 AM »
PIE. that looks simply delicious, and somehow, it seems like something alma would make! and ennis would eat. :D

here's a recipe for a similar type dessert that always satisfies. a woman brings this to a christmas time pot luck every year. the salty and sweet combination, plus the tang of the rasperries, makes this a very refreshing cool dessert.

RASPBERRY PRETZEL DESSERT

2 cups crushed pretzels
1/2 cup melted butter
2 tablespoons sugar

2 cups boiling water
1 large box of raspberry jello
1 tub of Cool Whip topping, 12oz
1 package cream cheese, softened, 8oz
2 packages of frozen raspberries 10 oz. size

mix the crushed pretzels, sugar and butter. pat into a 9x13 inch pan and bake at 400 degrees for 7 minutes, let cool.

gently fold cream cheese to Cool Whip and spread evenly on top of pretzel layer. mix the jello and water, then stir in the frozen raspberries. pour this over the Cool Whip layer, then refrigerate until set.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2006, 06:57:18 AM »
Laurentia, this sound delightful.  I'm already planning my 50th which is a few years away, but I'm thinking of making it a theme party and a "MidSummer's Night Eve" is appealing to me.  I'd like to think that even at 50, one is still in the Summer of their life!  ;D

I think you're absolutely right there, Bobbie, and the theme idea is great. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to know more about Midsummer celebrations!

About the forum cookbook, I love the idea and would like to be involved in it, but what about copyright? I have many recipes I'd like to share (it's mainly because of laziness I've posted so few here  :-[), but they all come straight out of cookbooks. Sometimes I've added beans or something, but I don't think that's a big enough modification to call the recipe my own invention. 

I like Jack's idea about having two chapters, one for those who like to cook and one for those who don't. More cookbooks should be organised like that! 
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2006, 07:48:26 AM »
Here's what I had for dinner yesterday. Quick and easy and very tasty!

Creamy Cashew Pasta

(serves two hungry cowboys or three weedy office workers)

250 g short pasta, brown or white (about 2 cups)
1/2 red onion
4 - 6 mushrooms
2 - 3 tomatoes
1 dl green olives (slightly less than 1/2 cup)
1 - 2 cans of chick peas, drained
at least 1 dl roasted and salted cashew nuts (about 1/2 cup)

2 dl yoghurt (slightly less than 1 cup)
1 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp chili sauce of the kind that's similar to ketchup (e g Heinz)
1 - 2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Boil the pasta and drain it, or use leftovers - the pasta doesn't have to be hot. Chop the onion, cut the mushrooms in quarters, fry both ingredients a little in olive oil in a wok or large pan. Add pasta, diced tomatoes, olives, and chick peas. Mix yoghurt, paprika, chili sauce, crushed garlic, salt and pepper and stir in, or just add those ingredients without mixing them first if you're lazy. Heat a little and stir in cashew nuts before serving. This could be served at any temperature, including cold as a salad or picknick food. 

The yoghurt should be thick, like the kind you use for tzatziki. Thin yoghurt can be drained in a coffee filter to make it thicker. You could also substitute creme fraiche if you don't like yoghurt.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2006, 03:30:09 PM »
laurentia, your creamy cashew pasta recipe sounds very interesting! i love cashews,,, but usually just as a snack food. thank you also for including the conversions for the measurments ;)