The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 401956 times)

Gonzo

Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #270 on: July 29, 2006, 05:12:23 PM »
Hummus:  does anyone in this creative bunch have ways they use hummus as an ingredient - I mean, aside from spreading it on things or dipping things into it?   

I know there are various ways to make hummus (including formulas that omit the oil altogether).  That's not what I'm looking for.  But it seems like something that could be mixed with other ingredients and, for example, baked...   If, that is, you're not a culinary or vegetarian purist!

I like it fine as is (including the way it comes from Costco).  But seems like it could have broader uses that one I've encountered so far.

I'm not a great cook but what about using it as an ingredient in salads, like pasta salad.  Thin it out a bit.  Potentially you could spread it out on dough and roll the dough like a savory cinnamon roll kind of thing.  More bread than dessert.  You might be able to mix in other things and use it as stuffing for something that needs to be stuffed.  Mix it with chopped black olives and bake it into some sort of "turnover".  Or use that same mix and make ravioli stuffed with it.  Substitute it for mayo in an actual sandwich rather than as a dip or spread.  Get premade croissant dough, spread a very thin layer of hummus, top it with another layer of dough.  Cut into strips and twist the strips and bake for some kind of chewy breadsticks.  Use your imagination and experiment.  Toss it into soup to thicken and add some flavor.  All of these suggestions might prove disastrous, but they might turn out something truly unique.

Now the real challenge would be to make a cocktail using hummus.   ;)

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #271 on: August 03, 2006, 07:02:41 AM »
Hummus:  does anyone in this creative bunch have ways they use hummus as an ingredient - I mean, aside from spreading it on things or dipping things into it?   

I know there are various ways to make hummus (including formulas that omit the oil altogether).  That's not what I'm looking for.  But it seems like something that could be mixed with other ingredients and, for example, baked...   If, that is, you're not a culinary or vegetarian purist!

I like it fine as is (including the way it comes from Costco).  But seems like it could have broader uses that one I've encountered so far.

Use it to thicken a clear-brothed soup (like chicken or veggie) add some Mediterranean and/or Indian spices to kick your soup up a notch...

It makes a great ingredient to rub on chicken or porkchops before putting in oven - again add some spices to it first. 

And i know you were looking for uses other than spreading it on stuff...but I use hummus instead of mayo a lot of hte time.  It's great on deli turkey and/or chicken - keeps the bread moist without going soggy.
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Castro

• Obsessed
« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
Twistedboy and I'mJackShe'sEnnis,  thanks for your ideas about hummus.  I've some skinned chicken breasts to cook this evening; if it's not too hot for baking, I may just try using tarted-up hummus to keep them moist.  And one of you mentioned using in soup: maybe one of these desperate times when there's not much around but a packet of ramen noodles and some zucchini...?   

Lttledarlin, I just shook up a second jarful of your sweet dressing for broccoli salad.  It's definitely a keeper, especially for people who don't like broccoli.  (I tenderize mine slightly in a microwave steamer.)  Made more the second time, thinking I might also give it a try on coleslaw, maybe thinning a bit with buttermilk, since there's some of that on hand too.

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
  • I'm not kissing you, I'm whispering in your mouth
« Reply #273 on: August 06, 2006, 06:43:34 PM »

Lttledarlin, I just shook up a second jarful of your sweet dressing for broccoli salad.  It's definitely a keeper, especially for people who don't like broccoli.  (I tenderize mine slightly in a microwave steamer.)  Made more the second time, thinking I might also give it a try on coleslaw, maybe thinning a bit with buttermilk, since there's some of that on hand too.

Glad you like it.  I just took a huge batch to a cookout today and they ate it up!!! 
"How many times do you have the chance to experience the love of your life?"
"The hope of a great love is one of the strongest driving forces in life - if I had it within my sights, I can't imagine letting it get away for any reason" Sienna- Boys of Blue Ridge

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »
Twistedboy and I'mJackShe'sEnnis,  thanks for your ideas about hummus.  I've some skinned chicken breasts to cook this evening; if it's not too hot for baking, I may just try using tarted-up hummus to keep them moist.  And one of you mentioned using in soup: maybe one of these desperate times when there's not much around but a packet of ramen noodles and some zucchini...?   

oh absolutely!  Ramen and zucchini with some hummus....a few drops of toasted sesame oil on the top and YUM! instant chic for packaged soup!
"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2006, 11:11:52 AM »
Here's a simple recipe using shrimp and broccoli, two of my favorites!!

SHRIMP AND BROCCOLI STIR FRY

1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1-inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 cloves garlic, chopped (only 2?, more like 4 or 5, gotta keep the vampires away!!)
2 scallions, thinly sliced, greens and whites separated
1 1/2 pounds frozen broccoli, defrosted
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/3 cup soy sauce ( I use lite, or low sodium)
2 teaspoons corn starch

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, and scallion whites; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Add broccoli and shrimp; cook until heated through. 

Meanwhile, combine soy sauce and corn starch in a small bowl; stir to combine.  Add soy sauce mixture to skillet; bring to a simmer, and sauce will thicken.  Serve warm. 

Sorry, no nutritional info on this one, but it can't be too horrible ;D.  Enjoy!!!

"The hope of a great love is one of the strongest driving forces in life - if I had it within my sights, I can't imagine letting it get away for any reason" Sienna- Boys of Blue Ridge

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2006, 09:59:39 PM »
Here's another recipe that's a favorite of mine. 

PROTEIN POWER DIET SOUP RECIPE

3 Tbs. Olive Oil
3 Cloves garlic (you know me , more is better!!)
1 1/2 medium to large onions, chopped (Vidalia)
3 cups each Zucchini and Yellow Squash, chopped into bite size chunks
3 cups diced cooked chicken ( I use breasts, cook extra on the grill for salads or soup)
2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes ( I usually omit these, not a big fan of tomato in hot food)
3 cans (14 1/2 oz each) seasoned chicken broth (low sodium is fine)
6 cups fresh baby spinach

In a large saucepan over medium heat, add oil, garlic and onions; cook until onions are transparent and beginning to become golden.  Raise heat to medium high, add remaining vegetables except spinach and cook until just tender.

Add chicken, tomatoes, and broth; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add spinach and cook until just wilted. 

Makes 6 servings.  Calories: 269, Protein 25g, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 62mg, carbs: 11g, sodium: 1496 mg (ouch, better use low sodium broth!), fiber: 5g, sugar: 2g.

The name is cheesy but the soup is fantastic!!!!

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2006, 09:10:53 PM »
And a couple more...

This was my first experience with chickpeas, other than hummus.  I rank it as one of my favorites!!

AUNTIE BONNIE'S CHICKPEA SALAD (Don't know who Auntie Bonnie is :D)

Makes 2 large or 4 small servings

19-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 small onion, minced (vidalia or red, whatever you like)
2 garlic cloves, minced (more, more, more)
1 large tomato, diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and toss to coat.  Refrigerate one hour before serving. 

--recipe from Sarah Kramer's "La Dolce Vegan!"

Sorry no nutrional info..

Another favorite, I make a double batch and freeze it in smaller portions then buy fresh mushrooms and eat a few as a meal. 

ITALIAN STUFFED MUSHROOMS

1/4 lb bulk Italian sausage (chicken or turkey sausage is fine too)
1/2 cup onion, minced (Vidalia)
2 cloves garlic, minced (more, of course)
1/2 cup zucchini, shredded (it's got to be shredded!!)
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omit this)
3 Rye Krisp crackers (appx 1/4 cup) smashed into fine crumbs (Wasa bread works too)
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese (Use the good stuff)
2 tablespoons red wine (or more, this really adds to the flavor)
2 tablespoons water
18 large button mushrooms, washed

Spray skillet with cooking spray.  Brown sausage, breaking up into small crumbles as it cooks. Add onion and cook until tender.   Add garlic, zucchini and spices and cook well.  Turn off heat under skillet.  Add crumbs, cheese, wine and water, and mix well.  Remove stems from mushrooms and discard (are they kidding??  chop them up finely and add to the stuffing mixture!!)  Stuff mushroom caps with filling, piling high.  Place in glass dish and cover tightly with microwave safe plastic wrap.l  Microwave on high power 6 to 8 minutes.  Let stand 5 to  7 minutes before serving. 

Makes 3 servings (6 mushrooms each)

Calories: 192, Carbs: 16gm, Protein: 9gm, Fat: 9gm, Sat Fat: 3gm, Fiber: 4gm, Cholesterol: 24gm, Sodium: 734mg

That one is so delicious even typing it makes me hungry. 

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
« Reply #278 on: August 13, 2006, 10:22:12 PM »
Here's a new recipe.  I adore mushrooms, but only recently. 

FRESH MUSHROOM SALAD

Serves 6

1 pound fresh mushrooms ( I go by looks, whatever looks freshest and cleanest)
5 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Rinse mushroom caps thoroughly in cold water ( I always just brush mine off, never wash them).  Remove stems (I don't).  Slice the mushrooms crosswise about 1/4 inch thick.  In a medium mixing bowl, mix mushrooms, oil, vinegar, and seasonings.  Toss well.  Cover and chill for about an hour before serving.

Calories: 121.2, Fat: 11.7g, Protein: 1.6g, Carb: 4.0g, Fiber: 1g

I'm looking for a good grilled Portabella Mushroom recipe.  Maybe a marinade for them??  all help is appreciated!!!

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #279 on: August 14, 2006, 07:30:09 AM »
I had some friends 20 years ago make this for a BBQ, and it was amazingly easy and delicious.  Since then I've developed an allergy to the mussels, but I can share this for those of you to enjoy:

Steamed Mussels - the easy way

a bag o' mussels, scrubbed and picked over
heavy duty aluminum foil
bottled Wish Bone italian salad dressing
extra chopped/sliced garlic (optional)
red pepper flakes (optional)

sliced baguettes, for serving

Fire up the grill and get it good and hot beforehand.  Once this starts to cook, no one will want to have to wait!

Tear two sheets of the foil and place on top of each other, bringing up the sides slightly to create a bowl.  Pour in the clean mussels (make more pouches if necessary) and then pour the italian dressing liberally over the shellfish.  If you are adding the red pepper flakes and/or garlic, add it now too.  Seal the foil pouches and place on hot grill.  Close cover and cook for about 7-8 minutes.  Test doneness by opening one packet - if the mussels are open and no longer opaque, tehy are done.  Depending on the grill you may need more/less cooking time.

My friends served these right from the foil pouches, but I prefer to dump them into a large pot or tureen.  Ladle generously into bowls and serve with the baguette - to sop up all the delicious juices.  Plenty of cold beer/iced tea to go around and this is a great casual summer supper.

"And when he shall die,

Carol8159@yahoo.com

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #280 on: August 14, 2006, 08:04:40 AM »
Late Sunday afternoon + hangover + hungry + rain outside = leftover cooking.  :P
Here's what I made for supper yesterday, it turned out so well that I'll make it again soon!

Pasta with halloumi and almonds

Pasta, spaghetti or some short kind
Halloumi cheese, about 1/8 to 1/4 lb per person
Mushrooms, 2 - 4 per person
Garlic, a couple of cloves
Almonds, a smallish handful per person
Grated cheese, preferably Grana Padano or similar
Green pepper, a couple of teaspoons (I used pickled, but dried should work as well)
Olive oil, salt and black pepper

Boil the pasta. Dice and fry the halloumi in a large pan until golden, put it on a plate. Add some more oil to the pan and fry the mushrooms, add garlic towards the end so it won't get burned. Put the halloumi back in the pan, chop the almonds and add them along with salt, green pepper (you might want to crush it first, but whole grains are fine) and black pepper.
If you're using short pasta you might add it to the pan and stir it all together, but if you're serving the pasta and the topping separately, stir some oil or pesto into the pasta so it won't get dry and sticky. Sprinkle with nice cheese and eat at once.

Variations: this is probably just as nice with meat, maybe leftovers from a BBQ or something, instead of halloumi. Almonds can be substituted with hazelnuts or any other kind of nuts except peanuts. Next time I'm going to try it with quinoa instead of pasta and I believe that rice or potatoes might work too.
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
« Reply #281 on: August 14, 2006, 10:01:09 PM »
Today's recipe I haven't tried but it sounds delicious, kind of like the broccoli salad, I think

GREEN BEAN SALAD

Serves 6

1 pound green beans, fresh
4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 cup red onion (no thanks, I'll take a vidalia)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon splenda (2 packs maybe?)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon thyme
3 tablespoons cider vinegar

cut beans crosswise into 1" pieces.  Cook in 1" of boiling water until tender-crisp about 7 minutes. (Do not Salt) Drain and cool.  Mix beans, bacon and onion.  In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients.  Toss with beans.  Cover and refrigerate one hour.

Calories: 93.2, Carbs: 6.9g, Fiber: 2.6g, Fat: 6.7g, Protein: 2.7g

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
« Reply #282 on: August 16, 2006, 01:52:18 PM »
Laurentia-
What is halloumi, Grana Pando (cheese?), and quinoa?  I've never heard of any of that but it still sounds good!!

Lola rewards me with Jakey pics for recipes on the lovesick diet thread.  That's why I post so many recipes LOL!!

Steam-Sauted Green Beans with Lemon Zest and Parsley
Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes
Number of Servings: 4 servings
Special Notes: Hazelnuts are equally good in this simple preparation. Or you can leave the nuts out altogether and flavor the beans with only lemon zest and parsley.

This recipe courtesy of the North American Olive Oil Association.
© Copyright North American Olive Oil Association

Ingredients

1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 pound green beans, stem-end trimmed, and halved
4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley

Directions

Heat a small Dutch oven or medium skillet over medium-low heat. When pan is hot, add the almonds and toast, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add green beans, 1/3 cup water, oil and salt. Increase heat to medium-high, cover and cook until steam escapes around pan lid. Set timer for 5 minutes and continue to steam until green beans are brightly colored and just tender. Remove lid and continue to cook until water evaporates and green beans start to sauté, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Turn off heat, stir in toasted almonds, lemon peel and parsley. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Info

Calories: 110; Fat: 8.0g; Saturated Fat: 1.0g; Protein: 3g; Carbohydrates: 9g; Fiber: 4g; Sodium: 290Mg

Here's another:

Tuscan Vegetable Soup with Sage

Prep Time: Approx 30 minutes
Number of Servings: 4 servings
Special Notes: Top each serving with ricotta, if desired.

Ingredients

3 Tbsp. olive oil
4 Tbsp. chopped fresh sage leaves
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 cup 1/2" pieces green beans
1 cup diced zucchini
1 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 16-oz. can white beans, rinsed and drained
6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (vegetable broth can be substituted)
1/2 Tsp. crushed red-pepper flakes
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese (optional)
Directions

In a large saucepan, heat oil on medium heat. Add sage and garlic and sauté 5 minutes. Add peas, green beans, zucchini, carrots, celery, potato, and white beans. Stir over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add broth and red-pepper flakes. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Nutrition Info

Calories: 360; Fat: 11.0g; Saturated Fat: 2.0g; Protein: 20g; Carbohydrates: 48g; Fiber: 11g; Sodium: 197Mg

Offline littledarlin

• Obsessed
« Reply #283 on: August 16, 2006, 02:05:54 PM »
OMG!!!  Look at what I just found!!!!

Tacos del Mar

Prep Time:
Number of Servings: 8
Special Notes: Serve the tacos with instant brown rice

Ingredients

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, diced
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp. minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 lb. cod fillets or other white fish fillets
Juice of 1 lime (3–4 Tbs.)
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
8 corn taco shells or whole-grain flour tortillas
Garnishes, such as Cheddar cheese, light sour cream, chopped lettuce, or guacamole
Directions

1. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté pepper, onion, and garlic until tender and just starting to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
2. Stir in tomatoes (with juice) and cumin and bring to a low boil. Place fish on top of the mixture, sprinkle with the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
3. Cover the pan, reduce the heat just enough to keep the sauce simmering, and cook for 15 minutes, until the fish is opaque and flakes very easily. Pull the fish apart and serve, using a slotted spoon, so the tacos don’t get too drippy.

Nutrition Info

Calories: 150; Fat: 5.0g; Saturated Fat: 0.5g; Protein: 12g; Carbohydrates: 14g; Fiber: 2g; Cholesterol: 25Mg; Sodium: 200Mg

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2006, 10:12:53 PM »
Keep those recipes coming, littledarlin! We appreciate them!

What is halloumi, Grana Pando (cheese?), and quinoa?  I've never heard of any of that but it still sounds good!!

Quinoa was discussed a couple of pages back, I know it's a bit of an obscure ingredient. :)  It's little grains that you boil, same principle as rice, but they're enormously nutritious and contain complete protein. They taste good too!

Halloumi is a kind of cheese that's salty and rubbery uncooked, but very nice when you fry or grill it, it doesn't melt when heated like most other cheeses do.

Grana Padano is an Italian hard cheese, I don't know anything about it except it tastes good! If you're familiar with Gruyère cheese, it's the same sort of taste.

:D Del Mar Tacos  :D
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!