The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 401920 times)

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2006, 05:49:23 AM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

the peanut sauce sounds very good, and the recipe is great. i have all the ingredients on hand except for the sambal oelek.

it sounds similar to the peanut sauce they put on the thai dish called "pra lam long song"... tofu or chicken or pork or whatever on a bed of spinach with a creamy, flavorful peanut sauce. your recipe doesn't call for fish sauce, so that a plus (for me).

i love stir frying since it's usually an all-in-one-pan meal -- less cleanup. i have a big wok styled stainless steel pan (high sides, rounded) with a heavy copper bottom clad in stainless steel... and i'm in love with it. my other pans are jealous. LOL. i've recently switched to stainless steel, since i was tired of replacing the scratched or worn out teflon, and i LOVE it. i do love our one cast iron skillet tho, i've had that since college!

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #346 on: September 17, 2006, 03:36:36 AM »
As long as we have an Asian theme going, here is a recipe for what I call an Indian-style guacamole. The original recipe was for an avocado salad and the only thing I changed was to mash the avocado instead of chopping it. Then use papadams instead of tortilla chips for dipping. It's really delicious and the flavour is surprising to people when they're expecting regular guacamole.

Avocados
fresh coriander (cilantro)
lemon or lime juice
salt

cooking oil
black mustard seeds (1 tsp per avocado
garlic, minced (one clove per avocado)
onion, finely chopped (1/2 small one per)
green chilies, minced (1 per or less)
curry powder (1/2 tsp per)

Mash some avocados and mix in lemon juice and salt to taste and finely chopped coriander leaves (about 1 Tbsp per avocado)

In a small pan, heat 1 Tbsp of oil per avocado and add the mustard seeds. When they stop splattering (hold a lid over the pan) add the garlic and let sizzle a few seconds, then add the onion and cook until it wilts, then add chilies and curry powder and cook 1 minute more. Stir into avocado mash.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #347 on: September 17, 2006, 09:20:44 AM »
^^^ that sounds realllly good!! i like the idea of using papadams instead of tortilla chips, but i bet chips would be good too. i made an indian curry last night and wish that indian guacamole was the appetizer...

EGGPLANT & OKRA CURRY

6 or 8 small chinese or japanese eggplants cut into 1" rounds
about 3 or 4 cups of chopped okra (i just cut the ends off and cut them in half)
one 15oz can tomato sauce
one 15oz can stewed tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
two small potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes.
almost 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh garlic (lots of garlic!)
about 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
one small white onion, chopped fine
olive oil for frying the vegetables
garam masala seasoning
curry spices seasonings (i used a prepared "korma curry" mix)
about 2 cups of plain yogurt

in a large pan, (like a high sided wok type pan) sauteé the onion and garlic in olive oil for a bit, then add the eggplant and okra. add more oil as the eggplant really soaks it up. i used about 1/4 cup total. when the eggplant begins to soften and before the garlic browns too much, add the potatoes, tomatoes and tomato sauce. add 2 cans of water. stir and bring to a boil. then add the frozen peas. sprinkle in the seasonings, i used about 1/2 tsp each. stir well. let this cook, uncovered, stirring often, until the vegetables are cooked and mixture has thickened, about a half hour. when almost done, stir in the yogurt and stir well. let simmer a bit longer, then it's done! serve over rice, and sprinkle with fresh, chopped cilantro/coriander.

the korma curry is very fragrant and has all sorts of spices. i don't know what it is, but it's good. there are these seed pod things in it that you can't eat, but they release a very wonderful flavor... it's hot and spicy so watch out and go easy.

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #348 on: September 17, 2006, 01:34:10 PM »
Pity, I love okra but it's just about impossible to find in France. When we moved here from London we craved curries so much that, 5 months into our life here we actually booked ourselves into a B&B run by English people for a weekend because the guide said they offered Indian meals. After that I decided to master Indian cuisine (hadn't been necessary in London) but I have to grow some essential ingredients myself, like chili peppers and coriander.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #349 on: September 18, 2006, 04:23:22 AM »
aahh, you're one of the few people that seem to love okra. most everybody i know hates the stuff!!

i also like them dipped in egg, then cornmeal, and fried in oil till crispy.

that's great you took courses in indian cuisine, you probably know what those little seed things are, i think maybe cardamom? very fragrant stuff!

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #350 on: September 18, 2006, 04:48:14 AM »
Mmm! Indian food! I've failed epically every time I've tried making it, but I'll give these latest two recipes a shot, it can't go wrong forever and they sound so good! I suppose I haven't found a really good curry spice yet - will keep on searching.
Those little pods are probably cardamom, yes! Mmmm.

Chapeugris - we don't get okra in Sweden either, I've never seen them in real life. What do they taste like, is there a good substitute? Green beans perhaps?

I also wanted to tell you all that I've held my promise from a couple of months ago - I made another cherry cake on Friday and there's now a photo in the picture thread! http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8792.1217
The result wasn't as great this time around, I didn't have enough patience with the creaming, I think. The cake turned out quite compact and the cherries still sank to the bottom even though I tried to poke them in evenly. Anyway, it tasted nice.

(I don't own a floral patterned dress or even a knitted jacket á la Mrs Twist, but I did find a rose patterned shirt!)
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #351 on: September 18, 2006, 05:01:28 AM »
aahh, you're one of the few people that seem to love okra. most everybody i know hates the stuff!!

i also like them dipped in egg, then cornmeal, and fried in oil till crispy.

that's great you took courses in indian cuisine, you probably know what those little seed things are, i think maybe cardamom? very fragrant stuff!
I didn't take courses, I just bought several books and kept at it.

Little seeds? I have about 10 jars of different types of little seeds... maybe be more specific?

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #352 on: September 18, 2006, 05:04:53 AM »

Chapeugris - we don't get okra in Sweden either, I've never seen them in real life. What do they taste like, is there a good substitute? Green beans perhaps?
Okra is slimey inside when you cook it so really, there is no substitute. It's the key ingredient in Creole dishes called gumbo -- the okra is what makes it gummy. I agree with gnash, it's an acquired taste. If you Google okra in Images, you'll see what it looks like.

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #353 on: September 18, 2006, 05:37:07 AM »
Mmm! Indian food! I've failed epically every time I've tried making it, but I'll give these latest two recipes a shot, it can't go wrong forever and they sound so good! I suppose I haven't found a really good curry spice yet - will keep on searching.
You'll find plenty when you're in London! I plan to visit my favourite Indian grocery on Brick Lane to stock up.

I also wanted to tell you all that I've held my promise from a couple of months ago - I made another cherry cake on Friday and there's now a photo in the picture thread! http://davecullen.com/forum/index.php?topic=8792.1217
The result wasn't as great this time around, I didn't have enough patience with the creaming, I think. The cake turned out quite compact and the cherries still sank to the bottom even though I tried to poke them in evenly. Anyway, it tasted nice.

(I don't own a floral patterned dress or even a knitted jacket á la Mrs Twist, but I did find a rose patterned shirt!)
You look like Pipi Longstocking in that photo.  :D

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #354 on: September 18, 2006, 06:00:50 AM »
You look like Pipi Longstocking in that photo.  :D

Thanks! She used to be my heroine when I was four - it was a mystery to me why mum wouldn't let me wear my Pippi costume when we were going into town, because in my opinion, those were my nicest clothes. Sometimes she agreed to braid my hair and put steel wires in the braids to make them stand straight out from my head, but I wasn't even allowed out in our garden like that.  :D

Quite a lot of British cookbooks get translated and sold in Swedish bookshops, so I've seen okra in pictures, just not in reality. Slimy? Hmmm...
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #355 on: September 18, 2006, 06:17:12 AM »
Pippi Longstocking is called Fifi Brindacier in France. Fifi because Pippi sounds like the French word for "pee pee". Brindacier ("brin d'acier" ) translates as "Steel Twig"

Offline ImEnnisShesJack

• Obsessed
« Reply #356 on: September 19, 2006, 06:30:26 AM »
We have a berry called lingon, which is similar to cranberries and is made into a widely popular, no too sweet jam. It's served with a lot of Swedish food, like meatballs. My dad used to have lingon jam with everything. I remember that one day a discussion arose over this habit because mum was heavily opposed to putting lingon jam on nasi goreng, so that'll have to be my favourite eyewitnessed weird combination.

When I was 20 or so, I ate a lot of strange things, mainly because I hadn't begun to take an interest in food and nutrition yet. How about macaroni with béarnaise sauce? Sandwiches with leftover potato crisps from yesterday's party (it's actually quite nice, the combination of soft bread, butter and crunchy crisps)? How did I survive?

Lingon berries rock my world.  *familien min komer fra Norge!*

Macaroni with bearnaise is like Mac'N'Cheese w/o the cheese! 

And I have put potato chips (crisps) on my sandwiches since I was a child - white bread, bologna, american cheese and potato chips. lol.

Maybe these aren't so strange afterall... ;D ;D ;D ;D
"And when he shall die,
Take him and cut him out in little stars,
And he will make the face of heaven so fine
That all the world will be in love with night."
~~Heath Ledger 1979-2008~~

Carol8159@yahoo.com

daphne

« Reply #357 on: September 19, 2006, 07:30:23 AM »
Pippi Longstocking is called Fifi Brindacier in France. Fifi because Pippi sounds like the French word for "pee pee". Brindacier ("brin d'acier" ) translates as "Steel Twig"

First Nutella, and now Pippi - how come every time I come to lurk here you are talking about my childhood's sweetes memories?  :D ;D I had a thing for Tommy.
Laurentia, thank you for posting that lovely pic - your cake looks very yummy, and you are so young! You sound so expert that I thought you were older  :D

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #358 on: September 19, 2006, 07:39:20 AM »
First Nutella, and now Pippi - how come every time I come to lurk here you are talking about my childhood's sweetes memories? 

That's because this is the BEST thread! Isn't it cool that we have the same sweet memories, by the way?
Laurentia, thank you for posting that lovely pic - your cake looks very yummy, and you are so young! You sound so expert that I thought you were older  :D
No, I'm just bossy for my age!  :D  Thanks for the compliments, Dahne!

daphne

« Reply #359 on: September 19, 2006, 08:06:39 AM »
That's because this is the BEST thread! Isn't it cool that we have the same sweet memories, by the way?

Yes! Nutella is for Italian people what tea is for the British (LOL). It's as Italian as spaghetti and pizza, and I didn't know it was famous abroad, I found it so funny!
Btw, your "Pippi and Nutella stories" should have made me realize how old you are (more or less). They are the symbols of our generation  :D