The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Recipe and Cook's Corner  (Read 401924 times)

Offline BBM-Intern

• Feet Wet
  • The one moment we all long for in our lives
And now for something completely different!
« Reply #360 on: September 19, 2006, 08:32:36 AM »
Hi all you lovely people,

Here's a recipe to "throw" most of you, a Vietnamese one.  It isn't the easiest to make, but I assure you, it's special.  One from a collection of recipes I'm putting together, perhaps I'll publish a book one day!  I first tried these in a Vietnamese restaurant in Brisbane many years ago, but wasn’t too keen on it for some reason or other. But when I tasted it on a trip to Saigon (or HCMC as it is properly called these days), it was a superb meal at “Banh Xeo 46A” (check it out in LonelyPlanet) that really hit the spot. The crepes were filled with tender slices of pork and prawns and crunchy beansprouts, accompanied with an array of aromatic herbs. I have tried to re-capture that magic and this is a simplified recipe suitable for home cooking.

Oh, any of you experienced Vietnamese cooks, please give me some feedback!

Bánh Xèo (Vietnamese crepes)
(Makes approximately three 25-30cm crepes, serves two persons as light meal/entrée)

Ingredients:
Batter:
¾ cup of rice flour
1 tbsp plain wheat flour
¼ tsp turmeric powder
¼ tsp curry powder
1 cup water
1 small shallot (green onion), sliced finely

Filling:
45ml cooking oil
100g lean pork shoulder or loin, cut into thin slices
150g medium uncooked prawns, peeled and deveined
½ small onion, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
1½ cup mung bean sprouts

Dipping sauce:
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp hot water
1 tbsp lime/lemon juice
2-3 tbsp fish sauce
few strands carrot, very finely julienned

To serve:
½ bunch each mint and basil, or mixed Vietnamese herbs
2 bunches soft lettuce, leaves separated

Method:
Make batter first: in a medium bowl, whisk the rice flour, wheat flour, turmeric powder and curry powder, adding 1 cup water slowly. Whisk to a smooth batter, add sliced shallot then set aside.

To prepare dipping sauce: in a small bowl, put in crushed garlic and brown sugar, then add hot water to dissolve sugar. Add lime/lemon juice and fish sauce, then dilute to taste with cold water, adding more sugar, lime/lemon juice or fish sauce to balance as desired. Add julienned carrot strips to garnish, set aside.

To make the crepes, heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add 15ml cooking oil and then add 1/3 of the sliced pork, prawns and sliced onions. Fry for 1-2 minutes until pork and prawns are nearly cooked, then season with salt and pepper. Pour 1/3 cup of batter into frying pan, swirling it up the sides of the pan and evenly over the surface of the pan, then lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 5-6 minutes until the sides curl up and the underside is a deep golden yellow-brown colour. Scatter ½ cup bean sprouts over one half of the crepe and cook for 1 minute longer. Fold the crepe in half and slide it onto a serving plate. Repeat with remaining filling and batter.

Serve crepes hot with herbs, lettuce and dipping sauce. Diners help themselves by cutting a small piece of the crepe, wrapping it in lettuce with herbs and adding the
dipping sauce as liked.

And this is what they look like, or at least my own version from the kitchen (my own amateur photography)

Additional notes & hints (apologies in advance to experienced cooks, this is to help everyone achieve perfect results):

All measurements are Australian metric measures: 5ml teaspoon, 20ml tablespoon and 250ml cup.

The batter can be made well in advance and kept in the fridge. If liked, a dash of coconut milk can be also added, replacing part of the 1 cup of water.

For ease of cooking, set the crepe fillings (pork, prawns and onions) in three little mounds so the correct amount can be added for each crepe.

Dipping sauce should be made to taste, with a lightly sweet and sour note, but emphasizing the salty. The salt should dominate more, as it is needed to season the blander crepe and salad-type ingredients.  A few slices of cut (bird’s eye) chilli can also be added if liked.

Beansprouts can be tailed for neatness, but this is not essential.

To make fine julienne of carrot, peel a 5cm section of a small carrot, then using the vegetable peeler, take strips of carrot. Stack a few strips together and cut them finely with a sharp knife for fine julienne.

Use a good-quality non-stick pan, approximately 30-35cm in diameter. If your pan is significantly larger or smaller, adjust the number of crepes and apportion the batter and filling ingredients accordingly.

Stir the batter well before making each crepe to make sure the flour hasn’t settled to the bottom.

Don’t overcrowd the pan with the filling ingredients. One of the possible points of failure is having not having sufficient pan surface left or too low a heat when the batter hits the oil, resulting in soggy crepes. If necessary, reduce the quantity of filling ingredients used. The finished crepes should be very crisp to contrast with the softer herbs and lettuce, which is essential to the character of the dish. Adjust the heat so that the crepe cooks in 5-6 minutes and has fully cooked through; there should be a trace of sizzling oil on the surface towards the end, indicating the heat has evaporated the excess moisture.

The ideal type of lettuce is the soft “local” lettuce available in local markets. Otherwise try using soft “butter” or “bib” lettuce. All the salad-type ingredients should be well-washed and then dried thoroughly in a salad spinner. Other herbs to try include pennywort, shiso leaves or laksa mint (polygonum hydropiper).
Love is the only force of nature to embrace, fear is not the alternative.

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
Re: Recipe and Cook's Corner
« Reply #361 on: September 19, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »
This sounds really good. Can you recommend any other good filling ingredients to substitute for pork and shrimp? (Doesn't have to be vegetarian.)

Bobbie

« Reply #362 on: September 20, 2006, 07:31:28 AM »
oh, lingonberries! we get that, of all place, at a furniture store called IKEA. lol. a nice accompaniment to swedish meatballs for sure! but i have to ask --- what is nasi goreng?

Ah, yes, I've heard that IKEA stands for the greatest part of Sweden's food export! Not that we have much food to export  :D  I didn't know that IKEA's tentacles had reached America, though, I thought they were still only to be found in Europe.
Nasi goreng is a kind of Indonesian fried rice. That time when my mum made it, I remember there was chicken in it and the seasoning was very gentle and not very exotic at all, maybe a little chili. Here's the recipe I use when making it, it's cheap and simple and can be made from leftovers:

Vegetarian Nasi Goreng

2 eggs (or more)
1 tbsp wheat flour
4 tbsp water
salt, pepper

Make an omelette out of the above and put it aside.

4 shallots, sliced

Fry these in oil until nice and soft, put aside for now.

4 cloves of garlic
8 shallots, chopped
2 red chillies, chopped

Put these three in a mortar and pound them together. If you don't have a mortar, or can't be bothered to clean it because your mortar is made from granite and cleaning it is equivalent to a full gym pass (which leads you to avoid using it even though it's the same kind that Jamie Oliver uses and you squeed over it in the shop and was hugging it all day after having been given it for your birthday last year), just chop everything finely.

4 cups (1 l) boiled rice, preferably cold, leftovers are ideal
ketjap manis - an indonesian soy sauce that is thick, black and sweet (and gave the Western world the word "ketchup")

Fry the mixture from the mortar briefly in oil in a wok or large pan, add the rice, ketjap manis and a little salt and fry until heated through.
Cut the omelette in strips, cut up a small cucumber and a couple of tomatoes and serve the dish with omelette, the fried shallot slices, cucumber and tomatoes on top. I also like to add some fried tofu, and non-vegetarians might hide any leftovers of meat - from a BBQ or something - in their nasi goreng.
And don't forget to put peanut sauce and the bottle of ketjap manis on the table as well.

Oh Laurentia, thanks for this recipe.  My Uncles grew up in Holland and had nasi goreng almost every Friday.  Many Dutch in the village they were in served it then.  I grew up hearing about it, but alas, neither Uncle new how to make it.  Both Uncles are gone and I've often thought about trying to make it...and now I have a recipe. 

and NUTELLA...one of my all time favorite comfort foods.  I love to warm it up and then eat it with strawberries and pineapple, like a fondue, or just slather it on toast.  There's a bar/restaurant in DC that has lots of overstuffed sofas and chairs arranged like ones living room.  We go there and always order the Nutella and fruit/cheese platter.  I just love it.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #363 on: September 20, 2006, 11:07:58 PM »
Oh Laurentia, thanks for this recipe.  My Uncles grew up in Holland and had nasi goreng almost every Friday.  Many Dutch in the village they were in served it then.  I grew up hearing about it, but alas, neither Uncle new how to make it.  Both Uncles are gone and I've often thought about trying to make it...and now I have a recipe. 

and NUTELLA...one of my all time favorite comfort foods.  I love to warm it up and then eat it with strawberries and pineapple, like a fondue, or just slather it on toast.  There's a bar/restaurant in DC that has lots of overstuffed sofas and chairs arranged like ones living room.  We go there and always order the Nutella and fruit/cheese platter.  I just love it.

Bobbie, I'm glad you appreciate it! Dutch, yes, parts of south-east Asia used to be Dutch colonies, didn't they?

That restaurant sounds like my ideal coffee shop! There used to be several living-room style cafés where I lived in the 90's, but then they all got converted into the kind of minimalistic espresso bars that's still the norm. I hope the stuffed, mismatching furniture will be back in vogue some day, I miss those places.

It's funny how so many people have a relation to Nutella  :D
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
  • ʍous ƃuıɯoɔ ɟo lləɯs lɐʇəɯ əɥʇ
« Reply #364 on: September 21, 2006, 12:30:55 PM »
laurentia --  that's a lovely photo of you and the cherry cakes looks delicious!! but you're not redhaired or freckly enough to be a pippi in my book ;) ;D

bbm-intern --  that's sooo cool you posted the recipe for banh xio. YUMMYYYYYY yummy stuff... we almost always get that when we go to the unnamed vietnamese cafe near us. there really is no sign, it's just a storefront with good food inside and it's open till midnight so that is a plus. they do a great crepe as well as a wonderful bowl of PHO and those noodle dishes... and now i'm craving it madly!!!

chapeaugris -- i've seen it filled with mushrooms and tofu instead of pork and shrimp. the one i get is usually stuffed with beef and shrimp, and is very tasty. it's wonderful because the hot oil makes a crispy crust on the crepe, so you have the crunchiness of that along with the ingredients inside. a marvelous experience to eat this dish.

one thing that i like to dot on the crepe is that garlicky red hot sauce.. and lots of it. at at the place we dine, they serve the crepe also with those sort of gooey rice flour "tortillas" that they use to make spring rolls. so the lettuce and herbs go in there along with the crepe and it's all rolled up and eaten that way.

PS: breakfast today was a big bowl of hot oatmeal with strawberries and rice milk. maple syrup was added for sweetness. no recipe needed really, but it's a nice, hearty meal. i must say that cooking oatmeal in a pot, where it boils and softens and develops that creamy texture, as opposed to the "instant" packets or the microwave, has renewed my interest in oatmeal as a breakfast staple!

i'm curious to know if there's a recipe for another type of hot breakfast cereal, perhaps even one that is not sweet, but savory. i thought of maybe something with polenta, which could be studded with mushrooms and cheese...but that's not very breakfasty.

:)

PPS: our microwave DIED the other day. i do not think we will get another one....

"Brokeback is about a lost paradise, an Eden."  – Ang Lee

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #365 on: September 21, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
I usually make oatmeal with half milk, half water. But another good version is to use water only with chopped, unpeeled apple a cinnamon stick, which you bring to a boil all together before adding the oats.

I loved cream of wheat when I was a kid but you can't get that in France. But it's just semoulina, which is available. If we have leftover rice, I warm it up with milk, chopped banana and and cinnamon. The ground cinnamon you get in the US is different from the European product -- it's from the bark of a different type of tree, similar to real cinnamon. Apparently Americans prefer its stronger flavour. I use whole sticks in these breakfast things because it imparts a subtler flavour.

Gnash, do you know Indian Pudding -- as in native American? (cornmeal slowly baked with milk, eggs and molasses). It takes too long to cook to serve for breakfast (3 hours) but it's good for breakfast the next day.

It's blackberry and apple season here in the Pyrenees and we make a lot of crumbles, the leftovers of which we eat for breakfast with yogurt.

The French don't make much of an effort for breakfast -- bread, butter and jam or croissants plus café au lait or hot chocolate.  Once I heard a nutritionist being interviewed on the radio and she actually defended that type of breakfast as perfectly balanced: cereal in the bread, fruit in the jam, dairy in the butter and milk. Even when the French are going to be doing something strenuous in the morning like skiing, they eat the same meager breakfast. According to a TV news story, more skiing accidents happen between 11 and noon here because French skiers are low on energy by that time.

I'ver never had a microwave. It seems like it must be doing something sinister to the food.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #366 on: September 22, 2006, 10:45:43 AM »
I am SO going to try those Vietnamese crêpes this weekend!

Quote from: gnash
laurentia --  that's a lovely photo of you and the cherry cakes looks delicious!! but you're not redhaired or freckly enough to be a pippi in my book

Not rich or strong enough either, sadly... :)

Quote from: chapeaugris
The French don't make much of an effort for breakfast -- bread, butter and jam or croissants plus café au lait or hot chocolate.  Once I heard a nutritionist being interviewed on the radio and she actually defended that type of breakfast as perfectly balanced: cereal in the bread, fruit in the jam, dairy in the butter and milk. Even when the French are going to be doing something strenuous in the morning like skiing, they eat the same meager breakfast. According to a TV news story, more skiing accidents happen between 11 and noon here because French skiers are low on energy by that time.

:D  How funny! Cereal in the bread, fruit in the jam, dairy in the butter and milk - and TONS of sugar in all of them!! Plus real butter consists to 80% of fat, so there's not that much room left for the dairy nutritives...but leftover blackberry crumble with yoghurt, oh my god, how I want that right now. It sounds absolutely gorgeous...

I was visiting a friend last summer, whose mother was American. My friend was over thirty but still living with his parents (who were very nice) and still being treated as a 12-year-old. Anyway, I awoke to a glorious smell that turned out to be cinnamon toast, which I hadn't even heard of before. It tasted just as nice as it smelled, but...that was the whole breakfast. A slice of white toast with sugar and cinnamon and some tea (my friend's father had a can of Coca Cola instead of tea or coffee  :o ). By lunch time, I could hardly walk on a straight line for lack of blood sugar  :D 

I'm a big fan of breakfast, it's my favourite meal of the day. Sweden is one of the countries where breakfast is quite a serious affair and people generally eat healthy stuff, so I have lots of recipes for hot cereals/porridges, but the ones I've tried I didn't like that much, so I don't think they're worth posting. I generally stick to sandwiches, I love, love, love nice bread. Really hearty sourdough bread with butter and thin slices of nice cheese...in my pantry right now is a heavy loaf made from organic rye and wheat and sourdough, it has the lovely chewiness that mediterranean style bread has and is compact, but not too dense. Aaaahh...
http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/cooking - unit conversions for the kitchen!

Offline chapeaugris

• Obsessed
« Reply #367 on: September 22, 2006, 02:41:06 PM »
When I visited Sweden once, I bought a litre carton of what I thought was fruit juice. But when I tried to pour it out, it was like very thick fruit slush. What was that stuff?

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #368 on: September 22, 2006, 09:49:53 PM »
hmmm, haven't heard of INDIAN PUDDING but i have had acorn mush, cooked in a basket on coals! by hupa indians of the klamath region of northern california. it was starchy and a little strange, but nourishing.

the indian pudding you describe sounds like polenta, and i love that stuff so i will look for recipes.

there was something online about the effects of microwaved water used to water plants (seedlings) and the results were astounding. perhaps the scientist wanted them to do poorly, but the plants watered with the "dead" water really looked sad. of course, they didn't have three test groups: water, microwaved water, AND boiled water.. but it was still shocking to see the twisted stunted growth of the microwave watered plants vs. plain tap water. and i hear that what microwaves do to meat proteins in particular is not good. then again, they say grilled foods is bad... so...  moderation, i suppose. however, the food that's sold to be heated in microwaves are awful to begin with, for the most part. the salt content in most frozen "entrees" is astronomical.

i agree that breakfast is an important meal, but it seems so many people are in a rush to get out of the house that a decent, big breakfast is overlooked. on weekends, the breakfast houses around here have lines out the door, so it is something that they are craving... a decently portioned breakfast is a nice idea, but not if it's dripping with sugar. one look at the cereal aisle and you will see row after row of sugar coated cereals, and the sad thing is they're all aimed towards the kids, but even the "healthy" adult granolas are laden with sweetness. i usually eat the non sweet grape nuts for breakfast,,,, but am a fan of raisin bran too. ;D

and don't get me wrong, i put a heck of a lot of maple syrup in my oatmeal yesterday. LOL. ;)  we also love to eat honey.

well. today i bought a couple of interesting items at the store, all on sale, probably because they're so bizarre: pumpkin butter, sweet potato mustard, and fig jam. all of them really delicious.... the pumpkin butter would be good on toast. it's like nutella that way. mildly sweet, and a good break from apple butter... the fig jam is really just an all fig puree sweetened with grape juice. very interesting flavor, a lot like orange marmalade. extremely sweet. it's spoon candy if you're not careful!

the sweet potato mustard is great, we ate it with apples and cheese and salami and crackers as a snack just now. it's a little thin, but there's potato in there to give it some texture. it can also be used as a glaze for meat... i think this, on pork chops, might be a nice twist...

but fish. fish. fish.... i'm craving fish, so will list a recipe. it's so simple, anybody could do it, and probably already does:

PAN FRIED FISH WITH LEMON CAPER SAUCE

three or four red snapper fillets (usually the cheapest at the fish market so i tend to buy them, but could certainly use most anything)
one beaten egg, flour, seasonings.
olive oil
for the sauce: butter and capers, lemon juice, a bit of cream

pat dry the fish of excessive moisture. dredge the fish in beaten egg, then in the flour (seasoned with cracked pepper and dry herbs of your choice) and fry in a pan in hot oil until golden brown, on both sides. do not burn, of course, lol. remove fish from pan and drain on toweling and keep it warm while you make the sauce.

melt about a tablespoon of butter in the same pan, scraping the little browned bits left from frying the fish, then add about two tablespoons of cream or half & half, and cook over high heat stirring constantly. season with salt and pepper, squeeze in some lemon, toss in some capers, and stir some more until thickened somewhat... then drizzle this over the fish, add some finely chopped fresh parsley on top, and serve immediately.

very simple, and the tartness of the capers is nice with the fish. 

PS: you can made this w/o the egg. just coat the fish in flour. you can do it without the flour too, and just fry the fish "naked" in oil..  or you can fry it with just the egg batter, like my mom used to do, and sprinkle on chopped green onions then drizzle with soy sauce. that, with rice and miso soup and assorted japanese pickles, was a common breakfast for us when i was a child.

Offline gnash

• Obsessed
« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2006, 09:53:34 PM »
When I visited Sweden once, I bought a litre carton of what I thought was fruit juice. But when I tried to pour it out, it was like very thick fruit slush. What was that stuff?

how odd... i have no idea but it sounds like it would make a great smoothie!!  there is a brand of somewhat pulpy fruit juices in glass bottles over here called LOOZA that we use for smoothies, but it's not slushy, and pours easily.

maybe what you had was a concentrate that could be added to water to create a juice drink... ?

Offline Jer009

• Obsessed
  • Jack and Ennis...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #370 on: September 23, 2006, 12:33:20 AM »
Laurentia--
I made the Fancy Tomato Beans that you posted on May 7, 2006. Absolutely delish! Is there any way to reduce the amount of oil?

Offline CANSTANDIT

• Obsessed
  • Special Brokeback Victims Unit
« Reply #371 on: September 23, 2006, 09:14:32 PM »
I have a recipe for Taco lasagna that goes over big with my occasional holiday company....I'll dig it up and post it; it is somewhat addictive, I'll warn ya.....

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2006, 01:07:46 AM »
Laurentia--
I made the Fancy Tomato Beans that you posted on May 7, 2006. Absolutely delish! Is there any way to reduce the amount of oil?

Yay for feeback! I'm glad you liked them!  :)
I tend to not measure the oil anymore, I use enough to cover the bottom of the pan quite lavishly (so the herbs won't burn) and that's that. The olive oil smoothens the taste and makes it feel more luxurious, but I think it's just as good with less oil.

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #373 on: September 24, 2006, 01:18:11 AM »

Hmmmmm! This had me absolutely mystified. Just to check my English, "slush" means something that's grainy, right, like snow that's begun to thaw? All I can think of that's thick, sold in litre cartons and could be confused with juice because of the pics on the package is kräm, which is basically a fruit beverage thickened with potato starch (if it's homemade, it's more like a thin jam). It's a bit old-fashioned and used to be eaten as a dessert or snack with milk or cream in the days when people still had dessert every day. I wouldn't call it slushy, though, it's more like thick yoghurt in texture.
There's juice concentrate that's meant to be diluted, like gnash said, but it's generally sold in 2 dl cartons and not really slushy - the way the word makes me think - either. I'm curious now! Can you remember anything else about it? What did the carton look like, what kind of fruit was in it, etc?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 02:03:17 AM by Laurentia »

Offline Laurentia

• Expert
« Reply #374 on: September 24, 2006, 02:31:00 AM »
well. today i bought a couple of interesting items at the store, all on sale, probably because they're so bizarre: pumpkin butter, sweet potato mustard, and fig jam. all of them really delicious.... the pumpkin butter would be good on toast. it's like nutella that way. mildly sweet, and a good break from apple butter... the fig jam is really just an all fig puree sweetened with grape juice. very interesting flavor, a lot like orange marmalade. extremely sweet. it's spoon candy if you're not careful!

Fig jam is supposed to go very well with French goat's cheese (chèvre)! We have a fantastic cheese shop where they recommend fig or rosehip jam to go with their truncated little pyramids of ash-covered chèvre.

I was so happy when I went shopping yesterday, because our supermarket had put up a couple of new shelves with strange food! It's mainly to cater for the large population of immigrants in the area, so there's a lot of Turkish and Middle Eastern foods. The weirdest thing was one of the instant soups, it looked like a nice hearty chowder on the package, so I took a look and it was komage soup. I thought maybe komage means something in Turkish, or is the name of an idyllic village in Cappadocia, and it's only coincidence that it means cow's stomach in Swedish, but then I gradually realised that all the other soups had the names printed in Swedish and a look at the ingredients box confirmed it: it was cow's stomach soup. I don't think I'll try that anytime soon.

They had canned okras, too, do they work as substitute for fresh ones?

The fish recipe sounds so good! That's what I call a hearty breakfast!